PDA

View Full Version : Who's the back up closer?

FlyingPig
04-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Weathers? :eek:

fitz1
04-04-2009, 12:01 PM
With the spring Cordero has had, we need to look at this seriously. Weathers has done it in the past. Is it too early to look at Herrera as a closer? He' s done nothing except get batter after batter out. Lincoln hasn't had a great spring. Rhodes is a situational guy. Maybe Burton. But I'm very concerned about Cordero. Maybe, hopefully not, but maybe he is washed up.

FlyingPig
04-04-2009, 12:02 PM
With the spring Cordero has had, we need to look at this seriously. Weathers has done it in the past. Is it too early to look at Herrera as a closer? He' s done nothing except get batter after batter out. Lincoln hasn't had a great spring. Rhodes is a situational guy. Maybe Burton. But I'm very concerned about Cordero. Maybe, hopefully not, but maybe he is washed up.

Actually, I like Burton in that role.

redsfandan
04-04-2009, 12:55 PM
My bet's on either Weathers or Burton.

gedred69
04-04-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm concerned about Cordero, but I am more concerned that if he is indeed ineffective, that Dusty/Walt might stick with him for too long. Plenty of candidates though. Burton and Bray have both been said to be potential closers, and Weathers has done it. Maybe Herrera, but there has never been many closers with his kind of pitching style, (must be a reason for that). Roenike maybe?

Eric_the_Red
04-04-2009, 03:35 PM
My vote would go to Burton.

Handofdeath
04-04-2009, 04:25 PM
If he continues pitching well, I would let Herrera do it. Why put Weathers and Rhodes at closer when they're both among the best setup men in the game? And there is not closer material among the rest of the pitching staff.

Ghosts of 1990
04-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Burton

JBChance
04-04-2009, 11:58 PM
We'd all like to see Burton, but I see them using Weathers.

We was the "closer" before Cordero.

Ghosts of 1990
04-05-2009, 02:19 AM
I dunno based on stuff it has to be Burton. Weathers closed in 2007. That was a while ago. He just doesn't have the stuff to do it. They know that. He gets hit like a snare drum

brachial pleXUs
04-05-2009, 04:04 AM
Burton. Definitely. I forget where I saw it, but some media outlet (not a local channel, the Enquirer or FSN Ohio) Referred to Burton as "definitely closer material." Of course, with my memory, that could have been right here on RZ, but I'd vote for Burton anyway. If only Dusty listened to me!

Rob387
04-05-2009, 07:58 AM
how is Bray looking?

Root Down
04-05-2009, 11:07 AM
I dunno based on stuff it has to be Burton. Weathers closed in 2007. That was a while ago. He just doesn't have the stuff to do it. They know that. He gets hit like a snare drum

I've got to give Weathers some credit, he slid into the setup role very well. With all of the flak he took in 2007 as the closer he did well in his new role in '08. I wouldn't say he doesn't have the stuff to do it because he did go out there and shut them down consistently in the 7th & 8th innings. Because I wouldn't take Weathers out of the role that's working for him, I'd go with Burton on this one.

Slyder
04-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Burton's in the early stages of his career he could be part of the future and present, Weathers is in the twilight of his career. Lets see what Burton can do with the role first if Cordero can't go or can't get it done.

Ghosts of 1990
04-05-2009, 03:10 PM
I've got to give Weathers some credit, he slid into the setup role very well. With all of the flak he took in 2007 as the closer he did well in his new role in '08. I wouldn't say he doesn't have the stuff to do it because he did go out there and shut them down consistently in the 7th & 8th innings. Because I wouldn't take Weathers out of the role that's working for him, I'd go with Burton on this one.

I agree he was very serviceable but I don't know how he did it. It was one of the great mysteries to me. I still don't know how he continues to get outs. Must just be guile. He just has that 87-88 mph fastball and that little slider...... I always feel like he makes big league hitters salivate. But you're right there's guys that are far worse then Weathers. He's usually pretty solid.

poolplr2000
04-05-2009, 03:32 PM
I think both Weathers and Burton will be the key closers. If Burton is smart, he will learn all he can from the seasoned pitcher while we have him. I am also from North Carolina and know that Burton played for Western Carolina. I always pull for the hometown athletes.

I attended the MudCats AA game with the Reds on Friday evening. I received Weather's autograph and he chatted quite a bit. I know Weathers is older, but he looked to be in great shape. He made it obvious that he was extremely happy to be employed, and very optimistic.

A child handed him several baseball cards to sign. He yelled for Bray, who was hesitant, but jotted over Weathers wanted him to take a look at one of his 1989 cards. Bray cracked up and said that someone should hang it in their garden. It was funny.

Weather's said that the team, including Bray, had been pinning his older baseball cards in his locker, making fun of his age. He said he could not wait until they get older.

Weathers may feel like this is his last year and he is going to take full advantage. He has a great attitude and I feel he will want to end his career with a BANG. Weathers will give good pitching and hopefully, will teach great lessons to our younger players.

fisch11
04-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Their are 2 schools of thought on this one. Burton has the stuff most managers like for the closer role, but Weathers has the experience. The Cubs have the same situation with Marmol and Gregg, choosing Gregg's experience over Marmol's stuff. Modern baseball has glorified the "closer" position.
In the old game the most important relief position was the "fireman", or the relief pitcher brought into the game in the 7th or 8th when there were runners in scoring position and a viable threat to "put the fire out". Nowadays, everybody wants a juiced up Gagne or hardthrower that can intimidate the opposition while slamming the door shut. This being said, I would rather have Burton come out in the 8th with a one run lead and the bases loaded with 2 outs and have Weathers pitch the 9th with the lead STILL intact.

But this is all hypothetical...let's hope Cordero stays healthy and keep his velocity up so we don't have to actually talk about this more often.

Jr's Boy
04-05-2009, 07:56 PM

I tend not to go off a closer's record in ST.The adrenaline is not there,like it would be for a closer in a real game situation.

gedred69
04-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Their are 2 schools of thought on this one. Burton has the stuff most managers like for the closer role, but Weathers has the experience. The Cubs have the same situation with Marmol and Gregg, choosing Gregg's experience over Marmol's stuff. Modern baseball has glorified the "closer" position.
In the old game the most important relief position was the "fireman", or the relief pitcher brought into the game in the 7th or 8th when there were runners in scoring position and a viable threat to "put the fire out". Nowadays, everybody wants a juiced up Gagne or hardthrower that can intimidate the opposition while slamming the door shut. This being said, I would rather have Burton come out in the 8th with a one run lead and the bases loaded with 2 outs and have Weathers pitch the 9th with the lead STILL intact.

But this is all hypothetical...let's hope Cordero stays healthy and keep his velocity up so we don't have to actually talk about this more often.

This is one of the most succinct and appropriate posts I have seen in a long time. The guy that can come in and, "put a fire out" is somebody I'd want on this team. (Eastwick, Power, Dibble, et al).