PDA

View Full Version : Gomes cut, Rosales to AAA

NeilHamburger
04-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Per Fay Gomes has been cut and Rosales has been optioned to AAA

Hate both of these moves. Prepare for 2 runs per game Reds fans

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3ae63cd597-ef98-48c5-afb3-379243579560&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

AccordinglyReds
04-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Whoa. Surprised about Gomes.....

NeilHamburger
04-05-2009, 12:50 PM
My only hope is that these moves signal a trade for a bat for left, maybe Dukes from washington.

GIDP
04-05-2009, 12:50 PM
So we are keeping Mcdonald and Nix? I think im going to throw up.

GIDP
04-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Why would we want Johnny Gomes on our team I mean he's slow and we are all about speed and Defense. Darnell McDonald clearly the best option considering his speed. Who needs bats when you wont allow runs!!!!

DTCromer
04-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Per Fay Gomes has been cut and Rosales has been optioned to AAA

Hate both of these moves. Prepare for 2 runs per game Reds fans

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3ae63cd597-ef98-48c5-afb3-379243579560&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

LOL. . yeah because WITH gomes and Rosales, we'd be averaging 8 runs/game.

Newman4
04-05-2009, 12:59 PM
My only hope is that these moves signal a trade for a bat for left, maybe Dukes from washington.
I think you are right Neil. Something has to be up. Should be interesting today.

JR+Rose=G.O.A.T
04-05-2009, 01:04 PM
man i thought gomes would of made it:nono:

Ghosts of 1990
04-05-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm glad Gomes and Rosales will be cut. They're scrubs at the big league level who are destined to hit .220

GIDP
04-05-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm glad Gomes and Rosales will be cut. They're scrubs at the big league level who are destined to hit .220

:laugh:

RedLakerFan24
04-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Guys we are going to get Hanley Ramirez in exchange for Alex Gonzalez

redhawk61
04-05-2009, 01:44 PM
The writing was on the wall when the Reds pursued Sheffield, not exactly signaling that they cut Gomes for his defense, since Sheff is no gold glover. I would give it an 90% chance they are close to signing Jenkins/Catalanotto, or else they wouldn't have cut Gomes(they wouldn't cut Gomes just so they can get McDonald on the team IMO)

Newman4
04-05-2009, 01:59 PM
The reason stated for not getting Sheffield was that the wanted the at bats against RHP to go to Dickerson. With that said, why would they sign Jenkins or Catalanetto?

captainmorgan07
04-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Interesting to see Gomes cut as most thought he was a sure lock to make the club. They must be really high on Mcdonald. Who knows maybe something is in the works roster doesn't have to be set till three.

jmac
04-05-2009, 02:21 PM
After hearing Dusty repeatedly refer to the LF situation as a platoon between Dickerson/Gomes & JHJ, it doesnt surprise me as it would be hard to get two righties playing time and I think he really wants JHJ to get the most.
Personally, I feel Gomes would have helped supply a little power the reds need.
Maybe this team has something up it's sleeve but since Sheff went elsewhere, I doubt it.

GIDP
04-05-2009, 02:25 PM
It has nothingto do with Hairston. Its about Gomes v. Nix v. Mcdonald

Shawn_RedsFan
04-05-2009, 02:38 PM
i cannot make new topics but from john fay's twitter, HOMER BAILEY and castillo are going to AAA..reds are stupid im done :thumbdown

Slyder
04-05-2009, 02:39 PM
So as of right now our bench consists of....

A SS glove whiz whos lucky to his weight.
A utility guy that plays a bunch of places poorly (the new Valentin)
Two outfielders who hit .235 and .200 BUT can play all 3 of spots competantly rather than the guy who can occasionally put a good charge into one.

GOOD teams get away with having 1 of these types of guys NOT an entire bench of them.

To those who long dispised the "philosophy of the 3 run HR" and wanted to go to a team that "plays the game the right way" then hope you love this season.

We've ripped most of offense out of this team for "versatile" guys with speed. Hope Votto and Bruce dont get too discouraged as they come up fairly often with no one on in front of them. We didnt have to sacrifice this much for pitching as most of our guys are still young and cheap (Volquez, Bailey, Cueto, Roenicke). You give this pitching to the 07 team that lead the league in runs scored and youre talking about a team that could have possibly won 95+ games and been legitimate threats for a LONG playoff run! Now were going to watch as the middle d is no better (Hernandez's advantage gets eaten up by standing still at SS and Tavares' downgrade from Patterson) and we score EVEN FEWER runs.

berryluther
04-05-2009, 03:57 PM
We are going to loose a hundred games and with the best pitching staff we have had in almost 20 years

Ghosts of 1990
04-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Here's what is coming down the pipeline. Wait and see if I'm right.

Hairston will be an igniter who needs to play every day. Gonzalez will struggle and prove he might not be worthy of a big league roster spot anywhere anymore. Hairston will become the everyday SS and Gonzalez will be released or DL'd after riding the interstate the first month of the year and losing a step up the middle.

Arroyo is gonna get hit hard to start his season. The Reds will need to bring up Bailey. I don't know why they choose the hard road always, it seems.

Redus
04-05-2009, 04:16 PM
ive got a feeling a trade with the Rangers (maybe a minor league arm) for Andruw Jones is coming.....yikes

Ghosts of 1990
04-05-2009, 04:17 PM
ive got a feeling a trade with the Rangers (maybe a minor league arm) for Andruw Jones is coming.....yikes

Yeah you could be right. I've seen several speculating something is going to happen..... I'm surprised at how quiet Jocketty has been since taking over as far as getting a name or two..... he's been very careful. We'll see. I wouldn't mind seeing something tried to get us another bat.

brachial pleXUs
04-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Mc Donald is a career minor leaguer for a reason--I had a bad feeling the Reds would cut Gomes and we'd lose any semblance of right-handed power in LF.

schmidty622
04-05-2009, 04:50 PM

Gomes has the potential to be a good player if he ever gets it together. Could be an Adam Dunnish player from the right side.

Rosales is Jeff Keppinger with more pop and speed.

batsfan
04-05-2009, 06:38 PM
So when do we find out the minor league rosters? Here is my guess for the bats (without gomes):

Outfielders:

Drew Stubbs
Drew T. Anderson
Shaun Cumberland
Norris Hopper
Michael Griffin (listed as outfield, but can play infield)

Infielders:

Kevin Barker
Adam Rosales
Luis Bolivar
Chris Valaika
Danny Richar

Catchers:

Craig Tatum
Wilkin Castillo

The Starting Rotation (in order):
Homer Bailey
Ramon Ramirez
Daryl Thompson
Matt Malony
Adam Pettyjohn

Relief/Spot Starters:

Justin Mallett
Sam LeCure
Ben Jukish

Middle Relief:

Bill Bray
Carlos Fisher
Robert Manual

Closer:

Josh Roenike

Notes:

I assume that either bankston or barker will be released, there really isn't any room for both.

Also Sean Henry is on the bats website roster, if this is true, Hopper will be released. Maybe bolivar would be demoted, but I doubt it. Same holds if Gomes joins, but henry or bolivar at AA.

Please comment!

fisch11
04-05-2009, 07:45 PM
This move puzzles me to say the least. I understand that the focus of this team is defense. Gomes is a subpar defender so that didn't help offset his slugging talent he has displayed this Spring. But when the team showed interest in Gary Sheffield in a reserve role I figured Gomes would be a lock if they couldn't sign Sheffield. Otherwise, why would you be interested in acquiring a RH bench player with pop and subpar defense, only to cut a RH bench player with pop and subpar defense? Walt knows MUCH more about building a competitive team than I do for sure, but I just can't figure out the thought process on this one.

ChatterRed
04-05-2009, 08:56 PM
I really felt like the roster was starting to come together, and I also thought there'd be some other moves. I am scratching my head right now.

Jerome
04-05-2009, 09:07 PM
So we are keeping Mcdonald and Nix? I think im going to throw up.

Would you like to throw up together?

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

JBChance
04-06-2009, 12:52 AM
They certainly chose defense and speed over power when they cut Gomes.

They must be real intrigued with McDonald because they gave him a ton of starting AB's in the spring. I guess they think he's finally put it together kinda like Dickerson.

I, too, thought that they'd keep Gomes for the slugging RHB he is. Although he hit for 50 points less of avg. than McD, he had 2 more rbi and an obp virtually identical because his slugging was almost .90 higher, due to his HR's. I know his fielding is shaky, but its surprising they didn't keep him for his ability to mash. Apparently, they think we have enough of that :rolleyes:

They are going to live and (probably) die with this "small ball" approach. Maybe, they are just using Darnell as a placeholder and really are going to bring in someone for LF. At this point, I'm doubting it, though.

As for Rosales, he didn't hit much better than Janish and he isn't a true SS like him, either. That's why he's going down to AAA, imo. But, don't worry all you Rosales fans, its guaranteed that we'll see him up sometime this year.

BLEEDS
04-06-2009, 09:43 AM
They must not like Gomes' strikeouts. We now have a chance NOT to lead the league in K's this year on offense though...

I don't know what the FO has in store for us - but I don't see us making another move quite honestly.

from the ORG, per Trent C, this is the starting lineup:
1. Jerry Hairston, Jr. CF
2. Darnell McDonald LF
3. Joey Votto 1B
4. Brandon Phillips 2B
5. Jay Bruce RF
6. Edwin Encarnacion 3B
7. Ramon Hernandez C
8. Alex Gonzalez SS
9. Aaron Harang P

Also from the ORG (Tom Servo):
""
McDonald starting Opening Day and hitting second is some sort of terrible joke.
""
I couldn't agree more.

THIS is the Power RH bat for LF?!?! that was a "Priority" for this team entering the off-season?
Wow.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BLEEDS
04-06-2009, 09:54 AM
OMG - just read that McDonald has a Career OPS of .369. I thought it was a typo.

THIS is the guy the Reds, the alleged First Team of Baseball, are going to trot out on Opening Day, versus Johan Santana.

Really.

REALLY?!?!?!

Gomes was cut to give this guy a roster spot.

I understand that Tavares is sick - in which case JHJ would be playing LF - but are we seriously THAT terribly lacking depth that this is the only option for Opening Day?!?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
04-06-2009, 10:28 AM
i cannot make new topics but from john fay's twitter, HOMER BAILEY and castillo are going to AAA..reds are stupid im done :thumbdownWhat a true fan you are, hope you don't have too much time invested in this franchise. I would hate to see you throw it all away over a few roster moves. Before you go maybe you could give the front office a call and tell them that though the Reds decision makers have years of experience, and have been around the team all spring, you feel that they are stupid because with all the games you caught on the radio you feel that you are more qualified to mold this club going into the season. Seriously do you have to pick opening day to belly ache like this, let some of us enjoy ourselves today.

leakbrewergator
04-06-2009, 01:11 PM
OMG - just read that McDonald has a Career OPS of .369. I thought it was a typo.

THIS is the guy the Reds, the alleged First Team of Baseball, are going to trot out on Opening Day, versus Johan Santana.

Really.

REALLY?!?!?!

Gomes was cut to give this guy a roster spot.

I understand that Tavares is sick - in which case JHJ would be playing LF - but are we seriously THAT terribly lacking depth that this is the only option for Opening Day?!?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I would take McDonald over Gomes. Gomes is nothing more than an overpaid cheerleader.