PDA

View Full Version : Your 2009 Cincinnati Red Opening Day Lineup (per CTrent)

forfreelin04
04-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Reds lineup:
Jerry Hairston Jr. cf
Darnell McDonald lf
Joey Votto 1b
Brandon Phillips 2b
Jay Bruce rf
Edwin Encarnacion 3b
Ramon Hernandez c
Alex Gonzalez ss
Aaron Harang p

WOW! :confused:

From Adam Dunn to someone named Darnell. Sounds like a trivia question in the making.

CesarGeronimo
04-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Darnell McDonald is starting on opening day? Unbelievable. I can't believe he made the team, let alone bat second on opening day. He has a career .331 OBP in the minor leagues, but at least he lacks power. This is a joke. :thumbdown

Slyder
04-05-2009, 02:27 PM
I hope this is a late April Fools Day Joke by C. Trent. A kid in little league could make a better lineup.

forfreelin04
04-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Let me be the first to mention these two things:

A. Dusty's daughter dumped CPat and is now dating Darnell.

B. This lineup will somehow put up 8 runs tomorrow depsite their punch and judy.

Ghosts of 1990
04-05-2009, 02:46 PM
It's for real. Bailey also optioned. Sucks.

At least Duhsty didn't sit Bruce and Votto on Opening Day. That would be so duhsty like

DTCromer
04-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Yup, because Adam Dunn would "greatly improve" this team.

Ghosts of 1990
04-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Yup, because Adam Dunn would "greatly improve" this team.

Dunn production > Darnell Mcdonald and anyone else we stick in LF this year (it'll be a revolving door)

DTCromer
04-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Dunn production > Darnell Mcdonald and anyone else we stick in LF this year (it'll be a revolving door)

Well of course, I don't see how much we're going to be worse than last year without Dunn. . . not to mention, we're not paying him 10 million dollars to miss 3rd base.

CesarGeronimo
04-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Why not just pick a minor league outfielder at random and he'll surpass Darnell McDonald's production?

Fon Duc Tow
04-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Yes but it is good to have a lineup to complain about again. ;)

Opening Day almost here!!! :thumbup:

Ghosts of 1990
04-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Well of course, I don't see how much we're going to be worse than last year without Dunn. . . not to mention, we're not paying him 10 million dollars to miss 3rd base.

You don't like Dunn and that is cool. You aren't required to. To a degree its like arguing religion or politics. There will never be just 1 camp with Adam. But the facts are the facts. The guy was relevant because he put up numbers that made him a premium commodity in this league. While not without his blemishes, the fact he constantly is brought up shows that he left his mark in the presence of Reds fans minds. I know I'll miss his bat

Ghosts of 1990
04-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Yes but it is good to have a lineup to complain about again. ;)

Opening Day almost here!!! :thumbup:

I agree!

And there's HOPE! A new day is here! Spring and Baseball finally!

GIDP
04-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Anyone want to buy my Opening day tickets?

Ghosts of 1990
04-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Anyone want to buy my Opening day tickets?

Did the lineup make you not want to go?

DTCromer
04-05-2009, 03:11 PM
You don't like Dunn and that is cool. You aren't required to. To a degree its like arguing religion or politics. There will never be just 1 camp with Adam. But the facts are the facts. The guy was relevant because he put up numbers that made him a premium commodity in this league. While not without his blemishes, the fact he constantly is brought up shows that he left his mark in the presence of Reds fans minds. I know I'll miss his bat

It was fun watching Dunn hit 600 foot home runs, but at some point, I want to win a championship. This roster is closer to "winning" than the one we had last year. If people are going to continue to pine for Dunn, then I'll continue to crap on his overrated career here. Sure, he may win for another organization, but it'll be a team who can afford the luxury of Dunn.

MacDonald certainly isn't the answer to LF nor am I suggesting anyone on this roster is, but I don't want to overpay for people to come here to "replace" Dunn. We could certainly be fine next year if Alonso makes great strides and is ready to play sometime in 2010.

GIDP
04-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Did the lineup make you not want to go?

it was a little sarcasm but the general frustration of this team is killing any good mood I have about the game.

Ghosts of 1990
04-05-2009, 03:16 PM
it was a little sarcasm but the general frustration of this team is killing any good mood I have about the game.

oh I understand.

But I think like me, once you get there and smell the ballpark, and see those white uniforms...... nothing will be able to bring us down man!!!!:thumbup:

Redus
04-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Im thinking were gonna grab Andruw Jones in a small deal with The Rangers soon. Yikes!

Ghosts of 1990
04-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Im thinking were gonna grab Andruw Jones in a small deal with The Rangers soon. Yikes!

Who do we send? Daryl Thompson?

jmac
04-05-2009, 03:23 PM
I dont know why everyone acts surprised. If Dusty platoons JHJ with Dickerson, which he said he was going to do, then the only absence with Santana on the mound is Tavaras.
As far as Mcdonald, with Gomes gone, makes sense I guess unless you put Owings out there.

Ghosts of 1990
04-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Still don't like that we are going with a banged up Arroyo over Homer Bailey. Just so frustrating

Redus
04-05-2009, 03:36 PM

Boy I hope not...I wouldnt even do that

GIDP
04-05-2009, 03:38 PM

You high bro?

Redus
04-05-2009, 03:40 PM
You high bro?

hahaha...maybe I am:thumbup:

FlyerFanatic
04-05-2009, 03:42 PM
i cant tell you how great it feels to see a lineup, and no corey patterson leading off. :thumbup:

Ghosts of 1990
04-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Wouldn't surprise me.... they don't seem as high on Thompson as we are. He didn't have a very long rope last year.

TheBigLebowski
04-05-2009, 03:46 PM
I am legitimately concerned that we will not score 300 runs this year. This is the most punchless 25 man roster I think I've ever seen. Darnell McDonald and Paul Janish round out the opening day roster and McDonald is batting 2nd on Opening Day. Wow. Something's got to be in the works or we're sunk.

brachial pleXUs
04-05-2009, 03:47 PM
McDonald's just in because Willy T has the flu. Hopefully, he'll be sent down when Willy comes back, in favor of someone who hasn't spent the past 9 years proving they weren't major-league material.

CesarGeronimo
04-05-2009, 03:55 PM
No kidding, Big L. That is one of the weakest-hitting benches you will ever see. Owings is so much better than most of the other bats on the Reds' bench it's not even funny. That's embarrassing.

I like Hanigan and I'm OK with seeing if Janish can hit a little better this year to go along with his defense, but the Reds need to do something fast to improve on Nix and McDonald as backup outfielders.

CesarGeronimo
04-05-2009, 03:57 PM
I dont know why everyone acts surprised. If Dusty platoons JHJ with Dickerson, which he said he was going to do, then the only absence with Santana on the mound is Tavaras.
As far as Mcdonald, with Gomes gone, makes sense I guess unless you put Owings out there.

OK, so how does it make sense for McDonald to bat second?

Redus
04-05-2009, 03:57 PM
hahaha...maybe I am:thumbup:

Although I havent smoked pot in 20 years this opening day roster has me considering huffing paint:eek:

Maldez
04-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Darnell McDonald has a career ML batting average of .143. Chris Dickerson has career ML BA of .304. Does this make ANY sense at all?

gedred69
04-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Why not just pick a minor league outfielder at random and he'll surpass Darnell McDonald's production?

I'll keep beating the drum. I still can't believe that Dorn didn't get an invite to ST. He's ready to hit MLB pitching, and hit a fair amount of HRs in the process.

mroby85
04-05-2009, 04:20 PM
This lineup is pathetic, Santana has to be drooling right now.

Ghosts of 1990
04-05-2009, 04:50 PM
I'll keep beating the drum. I still can't believe that Dorn didn't get an invite to ST. He's ready to hit MLB pitching, and hit a fair amount of HRs in the process.

He did man.

He got several ST at bats in fact. I think he went 1 for 2

Ghosts of 1990
04-05-2009, 04:51 PM

I'm more worried about Aaron Harang

CRedsLarkin11
04-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Just when I'm getting over McDonald making the team and the loss of a potential real player... i look up and see him in the opening day lineup... how many "who?"'s is everyone gonna hear tomorrow?

RSNtransplant
04-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Darnell McDonald has a career ML batting average of .143. Chris Dickerson has career ML BA of .304. Does this make ANY sense at all?

With a Lefty starting it does.

Dickerson did go over into center today during the BP, after taking most of his chances in RF, (with Hairston) in the initial fielding practice.

Here's how the other positions went(T after the name is if they took fieilding in the Team drill, the others all took infield during BP on their own or another)

RF : Bruce(T), Nix(T)
3b: EE(T), Rosales(T), Janish and Rosales during BP
SS: Agon(T), Janish(T), Haiston(T-after taking chances in RF), Agon again, then Rosales(Janish @ 2b)
2b: BP(T), Wilkin(T-i believe), BP again, then Janish(with Rosales) and Rosales.
1b, Votto(T), Votto again, Hernandez(for Agon), Rosales

jmac
04-05-2009, 06:51 PM

Except for Tavars/McDonald, this is the lineup vs lefties we will see barring no trade.
Granted our lineup does look better vs Righties with Dickerson.

improbus
04-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Roger Dorn?;)

Jerome
04-05-2009, 08:05 PM
For Dickerson not to get the nod is completely insane. COMPLETELY INSANE!!!! He should quit.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

CesarGeronimo
04-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Except for Tavars/McDonald, this is the lineup vs lefties we will see barring no trade.
Granted our lineup does look better vs Righties with Dickerson.

The amazing thing is that we get what seems like a reprieve - Tavaras can't play - and the Reds actually manage to find a worse player to replace him in the Opening Day lineup.

Kingspoint
04-05-2009, 10:07 PM
There's nothing wrong with that lineup. Cutting Gomes is the right thing to do. They don't want Dickerson going against the Mets' Ace Left-hander. McDonald has as good of a chance as anyone at getting on base once in his 3 plate appearances. He'll be pinch-hit for his 4th plate appearance and he'll play decent, if not very good defense in Left Field.

All the right moves were made. Bailey gets to continue towards becoming a 200+ IP starter at the Minor League level until he's ready to step in as a starter for the REDS. Herrera's pitched great (I assume he was kept on the roster as I don't know that, yet.), while Bray isn't quite ready.

Hairston isn't quite ready, and thus McDonald's start.

I'm just happy as a lark that Gonzales is in the lineup on Opening Day. That was the biggest question mark during the off-season.

Go REDS!!!

Red in Atl
04-05-2009, 10:29 PM
There's nothing wrong with that lineup. Cutting Gomes is the right thing to do. They don't want Dickerson going against the Mets' Ace Left-hander. McDonald has as good of a chance as anyone at getting on base once in his 3 plate appearances. He'll be pinch-hit for his 4th plate appearance and he'll play decent, if not very good defense in Left Field.

All the right moves were made. Bailey gets to continue towards becoming a 200+ IP starter at the Minor League level until he's ready to step in as a starter for the REDS. Herrera's pitched great (I assume he was kept on the roster as I don't know that, yet.), while Bray isn't quite ready.

I'm just happy as a lark that Gonzales is in the lineup on Opening Day. That was the biggest question mark during the off-season.

Go REDS!!!

THANK YOU!

Isn't anyone glad for McDonald that he gets to start OD. Come on guys. This will be one of the biggest games in that guys life. It seems more like a hell of a slap on the back, good job, thanks for your work ethic, kind of thing for the Reds to do.

The roster could change a hundred times this year. It's a fluid thing, and right now it was best to stick with McDonald. And hey Willy's sick, let him start, so Dickerson doesn't have to open the season against a pumped up Santana.

Is anyone gonna care in a month what the roster is right now?

It's OPENING DAY...Go REDS!

RED VAN HOT
04-05-2009, 11:06 PM
I am not a strong McDonald supporter, but there is something to be said for the choice. Over the last two seasons in the minors he has hit .284 with a .350 OBP. More importantly, he has stolen 52 of 62. All are improvements over his career minor league numbers.

This time last year few would have seen Dickerson as more than a AAAA OF'er. Yet now, we have him as a first ballot hall of famer. He made adjustments and showed dramatic improvements. Darnell may surprise on the up side as well.

Management is being consistent in putting speed at the top of the batting order and placing a premium on defense. We have some names that don't get me excited on the offensive side, but I am curious to see how it turns out. After all, things could be worse. We could be Braves fans. They hit three HR's tonight. They have no chance at all.

CesarGeronimo
04-05-2009, 11:10 PM

Go REDS!!!

I believe it's Hairston in left tomorrow and McDonald in center. Here's what's wrong with that lineup - the fact that the Reds don't have a better backup for Tavaras than McDonald is ridiculous. They needed to pick up another righthanded outfielder with some pop and didn't do it. If Gomes wasn't good enough, they needed to get somebody else. So now they've got McDonald starting in center tomorrow. This bench is terrible. That may be fine with you. It's not fine with me.

Eric_the_Red
04-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Still don't like that we are going with a banged up Arroyo over Homer Bailey. Just so frustrating

Unless Arroyo is injured enough for a DL stint, there is no other choice.

Eric_the_Red
04-05-2009, 11:20 PM
This is the most punchless 25 man roster I think I've ever seen.

Really? I can direct you to some recent Royals, Giants and Pirates teams that I feel were much worse.

Captain Hook
04-05-2009, 11:59 PM

Go REDS!!!

I couldn't agree more.Gonzales making it to Opening Day is a big surprise to me and is a big step in the right direction for this season to be a good one.He still has to prove he can stay in the lineup but this is a good start.No Kepp or Hariston Jr. at SS is a big improvement from last season.

I would like to see Gomes go to AAA and get hot like Hariston did last season.He hasn't had a lot success the past few years and could really use the ABs to get his swing right and build confidence.Hope he takes the job.

JBChance
04-06-2009, 12:04 AM
I would like to see Gomes go to AAA and get hot like Hairston did last season.He hasn't had a lot success the past few years and could really use the ABs to get his swing right and build confidence.Hope he takes the job.

Since they cut him for Darnell "Golden AAArches" McDonald, I would think that Gomes got the hint of what the FO thinks about him. Look for him to go elsewhere, imo.

Captain Hook
04-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Its officialy Opening Day.Can't wait for the game.

My prediction is that we loose.We are going up against one of the teams favored to win the WS and one of the best arms in the game.My hope is that Harang can keep us in the game and we can sneak away with a late inning win but don't see it happening.Still.............GO REDS!!!!!!!!!!

fugowitribe
04-06-2009, 12:24 AM
I can't even sleep. I am supposed to leave for Cincinnati at 7:00 in the morning, but I can't shake the excitement that is Opening Day.

The greatest thing about it is that even though The weather will be awful, the lineup is not our best (argue that all you want), and I have to drive 3 Hrs just to get to the game.......There is not a place in the world that I would rather be at 1:10 tomorrow afternoon than at Great American Ballpark in section 413 Row K seat 15 or 16 (Depending on which seat My old man wants). I am only 20 years old, but this is a tradition in my family, as I am sure it is in most of yours. Skipping class and work to see the 1st franchise in baseball Open up the season is by far the best day of the year, every year. I love being a part of REDS nation, and I am sure you are too. So here is to the 2009 Cincinnati Reds.....May it be a year of great baseball in the Queen City, and give the Reds' fans from all over something to cheer about come October. I hope you all are as excited as I am.
GO REDS!!!

CesarGeronimo
04-06-2009, 01:25 AM
Hey fugowitribe, I'm with you. I've been complaining all day about the Reds' moves today, but I'm still really excited about the start of the season and am having trouble getting to sleep before leaving for Cincy early in the morning.

Roush's socks
04-06-2009, 03:02 AM
Go Reds- Say what you want, but I'm excited about the Reds for the first time in 5+ years.

Redlegs82
04-06-2009, 03:26 AM
I've heard the term "dark horse" in relation to the reds for years now, at least since Willie Mo was turning heads and it has gotten me over excited at this time every year; last season finally broke my heart. I'm going to need to see proof of improvement.

Go Reds, in 2009 and forever.

redsfan1966
04-06-2009, 06:00 AM
fugowitribe--I agree with most everything you posted. Opening Day is my Christmas, Thanksgiving and July 4th all wrapped into one. I am much older than you and am still like a kid unable to sleep the night before Opening Day....Go REDS!

DaytonFlyer
04-06-2009, 08:49 AM

Go REDS!!!

And here I thought I was the only eternal optimist on these boards. Or maybe everyone else is just that negative about Dusty.

McDonald deserves a shot based on the spring he had. This is not the end of the world, we're talking about mostly bench players here anyway.

bgwilly31
04-06-2009, 02:31 PM

maybe true. But the attitude in the locker room. Much more focused.

Kingspoint
04-06-2009, 05:04 PM
.....and guess who scored the only run today and had one of only 3 hits against Santana...

.....drum roll please.....

Old McDonald had a hit.....ee yi, ee yi, oh.

You never know what's going to happen during any "one" game.

Jack Burton
04-06-2009, 07:54 PM
This lineup was unacceptable for most any day of the season, let alone opening day. Who's this Darrell Darrellson guy and why did Dusty bat him 2nd?

windycitybuck
04-07-2009, 06:56 AM
McDonald should NEVER start another game in the majors based on yesterday's game. His defense was terrible; his base running was terrible. His game belongs in the minors.

CesarGeronimo
04-07-2009, 01:23 PM
There just isn't anything about McDonald that suggests he's the best the Reds can do for a bench outfielder. Dusty seems to like him for some reason, but McDonald is a guy with a long track record that, unfortunately, shows he's not a major league player.

The other worrisome thing in the outfield yesterday was how shaky Hairston's defense was. He keeps saying that he's an infielder by trade and he sure didn't look like an outfielder yesterday. If the Reds are serious about having a good defense, he either needs to play better or they need to move on to a different option to platoon with Dickerson. Hairston surely doesn't have enough pop, compared to other MLB starting left fielders, for him to be mediocre or poor defensively.

leakbrewergator
04-07-2009, 03:36 PM
^^ You touched on a good point. I truly believe that Hairston, and not McDonald is the weak link in the outfield.

Red in Atl
04-07-2009, 03:47 PM
THANK YOU!

Isn't anyone glad for McDonald that he gets to start OD. Come on guys. This will be one of the biggest games in that guys life. It seems more like a hell of a slap on the back, good job, thanks for your work ethic, kind of thing for the Reds to do.

The roster could change a hundred times this year. It's a fluid thing, and right now it was best to stick with McDonald. And hey Willy's sick, let him start, so Dickerson doesn't have to open the season against a pumped up Santana.

Is anyone gonna care in a month what the roster is right now?

It's OPENING DAY...Go REDS!

I brought this up ealier, because I was amazed at all the negative posts about the 2009 Reds version 1.0. After reading this article, I believe I was right, and sometimes things that are good, happen to good people. I think the Reds saw how hard McDonald worked during ST, and they decided to do the right thing.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2009/04/07/ddn040709sparch.html

Willy was sick, they weren't sold on Gomes and a roster spot was open. Do I think he's going to be here all year or start a whole bunch of games? Hell no. But he's a competent player, who just had one of the biggest thrills of his life. From what I know now, I think he deserved it.

And BTW, all you critics of play yesterday, did you see the game? It rained almost non-stop. The conditions sucked, it was fracking cold, it was opening day in Cincy and do I really need another reason why the gold gloves might have still been packed up?

The more I read here, the more I wonder if the people here are really Reds fans. I grew up in Dayton and watched almost every opening day since I was 8 yrs old. I'm 40 now, and I can barely remember any OD's being good weather. It always rains, snows, freezes, etc. and the game is usually a high scoring slopfest.

Why don't we wait till the end of April to genuinely criticize the players. Especially the ones no one has really seen play before.

windycitybuck
04-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Because the other outfielders played in the same conditions and didn't play as poorly.

DTCromer
04-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Looks like Darnell MacDonald isn't as bad as EVERYONE thought.

Eric_the_Red
04-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Looks like Darnell MacDonald isn't as bad as EVERYONE thought.

Everyone, or a select, much more vocal group?

DTCromer
04-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Everyone, or a select, much more vocal group?

The latter.