PDA

View Full Version : Reds Catching Depth

mth123
04-06-2009, 05:43 AM
After yesterday's cuts it appears that Craig Tatum and Wilkin Castillo will be the catching tandem at AAA. It seems like Chris Denove will be the main guy at AA and Devin Mesoraco will be the man at A+. I saw posted yesterday that Dayton will have Jordan Wideman and Kevin Coddington along with part-time catchers Kyle Day and Humberto Sosa. That would seem to leave a lot of guys unaccounted for with only a few spots. Anyone with any info on whether any of these guys are still around and if so, where do they play?

Jake Long, Peter Cech, Jason Bour, Chris Kroski, Brian Peterson, Kory Feiner, Eddy Rodriguez

I'm wondering if Kroski and maybe Peterson could end up sticking with the organization in an instructional capacity even if they aren't on a roster. I've heard a few good things about Kroski and his work with young pitchers, but I really don't have a ton of knowledge on the matter. I always thought that Jake Long might be a sleeper.

redsof72
04-06-2009, 09:57 AM
I believe Eddy Rodriguez was released.

mth123
04-06-2009, 10:21 AM
I believe Eddy Rodriguez was released.

Thanks. Checked BA's transactions all way the back to August of 08 and find no mention of that and he wasn't listed as a minor leaue free agent. So who catches at AA? I'm guessing Denove and Kroski now. I had Rodriguez and Denove figured for that.

camisadelgolf
04-06-2009, 02:14 PM
I know Efrain Rodriguez was released, but I haven't heard anything about Eddy Rodriguez. It wouldn't surprise me, but I have my doubts because I believe Rodriguez is the only catcher in AA or lower who is fluent in Spanish, which can be pretty valuable, especially if Pedro Viola and Ramon Geronimo are in AA with up to six more Spanish-speaking pitchers making the jump to AA before the end of the season.

Here are the catchers in the organization, a couple of whom may have been released already:
MLB Ramon Hernandez
MLB Ryan Hanigan
AAA Craig Tatum
AAA Wilkin Castillo
AA Chris Denove
AA Eddy Rodriguez?
AA Brian Peterson
AA Chris Kroski
A+ Devin Mesoraco
A+ Jake Long
A+ Jason Bour
A Jordan Wideman
A Chris McMurray
A Kyle Day (also plays outfield)
XST Kevin Coddington
XST Petr Cech
XST Korey Feiner

Just looking at that list, I'd say that someone in AA has to go, and it would make sense to release Rodriguez.

dougdirt
04-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Eddy Rodriguez was released from what I hear.