PDA

View Full Version : Sun Deck's thoughts about the first game of the year.....

Kingspoint
04-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Holding the Mets to 2 runs.

Fantastic!

Harang allowing only 1 run.

Fantastic.

Cordero not being scored upon.

Fantastic!

No Errors committed by the REDS.

Fantastic!

Getting no runs against Putz and Rodriguez.

Expected. Nobody else will either this year.

We're not going to score a total of 162 runs this year, nor will we give up only 324 Runs.

We were in a one-run game.

Fantastic. I think we'll have a chance in the end to win more of those than we'll lose.

Phillips delivered the run with a Runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs.

Only Herrera had trouble with the pitching today. I hope that doesn't effect how Dusty thinks of him. I remember the comments Dusty made about Herrera being effective early in ST because he's a change of pace pitcher and players don't have their timing, yet. I like Herrera a lot and would love to see him stay when Bray comes back.

Newman4
04-06-2009, 05:18 PM
I would rather see Homer Bailey or Owings than Danny H. And, yes, the Reds do need that big bat everyone has been asking for.

Driver62
04-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Correction: Reds were charged with one error and there could have been more. Balls falling between three players remind me of the start of the season in the movie "Major League."

Overall, the Reds didn't play bad but you won't win many games with 1 run and 3 hits.

NeilHamburger
04-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Worst thing about losing on Opening Day is now with the stupid day off after you have to savor the foul taste of losing for 48 hours

PhillipsHead
04-06-2009, 05:29 PM
The Reds have a lot to be encouraged about.

Losing 2-1 to arguably the best SP, set-up man, and closer in the game isn't too disappointing.

If our pitching keeps this up, we will get some wins.

BLEEDS
04-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Holding the Mets to 2 runs.

Fantastic!

Agreed. They will score a lot more runs than that on average.

Harang allowing only 1 run.

Fantastic.

Yes, he definitely battled through the elements and a very inconsistent strike zone from what I understand.

Cordero not being scored upon.

Fantastic!

This should be the norm actually. Nothing to get excited about - unless you were in the group who was all over his ST stats. I said he needs to be in a "real" game to get his adrenaline and focus zoned in, most great relievers do.

No Errors committed by the REDS.

Fantastic!

Thank the Official Scorer. Old MacDonald played horrific, and JHJ wasn't far behind him.

Getting no runs against Putz and Rodriguez.

Expected. Nobody else will either this year.

Probably. Dickerson did draw a walk though - and then promptly was stranded. He has no place in this Dusty Lineup of hackers.

We're not going to score a total of 162 runs this year, nor will we give up only 324 Runs.

No, but slight chance the difference may be about the same...

We were in a one-run game.

Fantastic. I think we'll have a chance in the end to win more of those than we'll lose.

I severely doubt that, unfortunately.

Phillips delivered the run with a Runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs.

Actually it was a runner on 3rd AND 2nd, and ZERO outs. We scored one run. Very UN-Fantastic.

Only Herrera had trouble with the pitching today. I hope that doesn't effect how Dusty thinks of him. I remember the comments Dusty made about Herrera being effective early in ST because he's a change of pace pitcher and players don't have their timing, yet. I like Herrera a lot and would love to see him stay when Bray comes back.

I think Herrera is good against free-swinging power guys, not the bottom of the order. He walked Santana. I'm sure he had more than a few butterflies.

All in all, I think this is "Your New Cincinnati Reds". A lot of fast guys who can't hit, can't get on base, and sub-par defense too. At least they are cheap.

We've gone from pitching-starved to pitching-ritch, but decided to "overhaul" our offense in the process, all in the name of Defense, which looked horrific today, and really isn't going to have that much of an overall affect I'm afraid.

I see a lot of 2-1 losses in our future.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

RedLakerFan24
04-06-2009, 05:46 PM
we need one more hitter to compete, Maybe Beltre or Ordonez, with either of the two guys we should compete and make the playoffs, Harang was good, too many pitches but got out of trouble when he needed to, our infield defense was good with Gonzalez at short, our oufield was shaky but with Taveras out there im sure those bloopers would have been caught and Dikerson is a better fielder than JHJ, i amd more happy losing 2-1 than loosing 6-10

bgwilly31
04-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Its an absolute shame that this pitching staff is being wasted because we dont have an owner that wants to spend the money to win.

This team needs a couple of RH bats. and we would be playoff bound for sure.

Chris Sabowned
04-06-2009, 05:59 PM
The biggest thing is that we won't have to face Santana every game.

Highlights: Harang, Votto, Bruce, Rhodes, Weathers

Looked ok: Edwin, Lincoln, Cordero, Ronald McDonald, Phillips and Gonzalez in the field

Ugh: Daniel Ray, Hairston, Hernandez

Honestly, it's too early to tell anything. The only truly good thing is that Harang looked good.

redsfandan
04-06-2009, 06:03 PM
We lost on opening day and that stinks. Only two runs stinks but that was mostly vs Santana, Putz, & K-Rod, three VERY good pitchers. Also, we only gave up 2 runs to a team with a pretty good offense and that alot of people think can be in the playoffs. More importantly, Harang only gave up 1 run. We knew the starting rotation could be really good if Harang bounces back and, you have to admit, that's a nice start for him.

It's only 1 game and the Mets rotation drops off after Santana. Let's see how the first week goes before anyone jumps to any conclusions.

NeilHamburger
04-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Thoughts? God I miss Adam Dunn, all is forgiven okay, come home.

His 2 for 3 today with a HR, double, 2 runs and 4 RBI's would've been better then old MacDonald

bgwilly31
04-06-2009, 06:12 PM
It's only 1 game and the Mets rotation drops off after Santana. Let's see how the first week goes before anyone jumps to any conclusions.

Same old story, different year, i fear.

Chi-Town Red
04-06-2009, 06:18 PM
a loss is still a loss..by one run or 10

stevekun
04-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Hernandez played bad? Come on. His bat didnt do much but he was solid behind the plate. Its strange to see this kind of baseball in Cinci but I think we will be fine. Harang looked just OK but I think Volquez will look a lot better

Chris Sabowned
04-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Hernandez played bad? Come on. His bat didnt do much but he was solid behind the plate. Its strange to see this kind of baseball in Cinci but I think we will be fine. Harang looked just OK but I think Volquez will look a lot better

He was 0-2 throwing out runners, and I thought he looked lost at the plate. The one positive was that he caught the outfield throw by Bruce.

DTCromer
04-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Even though it was crappy weather, I thought the crowd was terrible.

I expected more out of Cincinnati for Opening Day.

Let me add that the biggest and only reason I hate Opening Day is because, other than the playoffs, this is the one game of the year fans judge their season by more. It gets dissected pitch by pitch and it's annoying. I should've just skipped reading the board today, but I couldn't resist.

DTCromer
04-06-2009, 07:49 PM
He was 0-2 throwing out runners, and I thought he looked lost at the plate. The one positive was that he caught the outfield throw by Bruce.

He was the only guy in the order to hit the ball hard until Bruce's double. Had it not been for a good defensive play in right, he would've had a double.

kentjett
04-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Those stolen bases were stolen before Hernandez ever received Harangs pitch. Those 2 were against Harang not Hernandez. Santana is a tough match-up against anybody for opening day. McDonald sucks and Gomes should be signed immediately after Taveras gets better.

BLEEDS
04-06-2009, 09:01 PM
The biggest thing is that we won't have to face Santana every game.

Highlights: Harang, Votto, Bruce, Rhodes, Weathers

Looked ok: Edwin, Lincoln, Cordero, Ronald McDonald, Phillips and Gonzalez in the field

Ugh: Daniel Ray, Hairston, Hernandez

Honestly, it's too early to tell anything. The only truly good thing is that Harang looked good.

Were you at the game? By all accounts McDonald looked lost out there, let a bloop drop and had many bobbles, and one error...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

fisch11
04-06-2009, 09:06 PM
We lost to Santana and a completely loaded Mets bullpen....no shockers there. The fact that we could keep it close was encouraging. This outcome was completely predictable. I would have been shocked if we roughed up that pitching staff with this new offense that isn't even our best lineup.

RED VAN HOT
04-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Harang's performance was encouraging. I doubt that Gonzalez, Hairston, and McDonald have played together before, so that defensive lapse on the pop up can be overlooked. I think Gonzo also saved a run that would have been tallied last year.

I grant that this is very early to make a judgment, but I thought BP still looked as if he is trying to pull the ball for a home run in RBI opportunities. I would like to see both BP and EE use the whole field, hit for higher average, get more doubles, and sacrifice a few HR's. I believe both are capable of doing this. It looks to me that they are being asked to do something that they can't do.

Team speed opens up opportunities not only to steal, but also to put runners in motion, take extra bases, draw ill advised throws, and put pressure on the defense. The Reds did not have much chance to do this today, except when McDonald freeled 3B. The Reds are not going to win by out homering the opposition. We shouldn't be making the opposing pitcher's job easy with a predictable hitting approach. We don't have the RH power bat that everyone wants. Let's put what we do have to its best use.

BLEEDS
04-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Okay - Let me say the ONLY thing that made me happy was all the reports of AGON's play at SS. Dude picked it, and apparently made some ridiculous throw to first as well.

IFF he can play 125 games, we might be able to win some 2-1 games ourselves, but our Offense is BEYOND pitiful.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Chris Sabowned
04-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Were you at the game? By all accounts McDonald looked lost out there, let a bloop drop and had many bobbles, and one error...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Many bobbles? He had one bobble which led to the error. The one where the ball dropped was more Hairston and Gonzalez's fault than his.

For a guy making his first opening day roster, and first opening day start I'd say he did pretty well. He had our second hit and only run scored, I'd say he did ok.

Eric_the_Red
04-06-2009, 09:35 PM
The Reds only scored 1 run against some bum named Johan Santana. The season is over. This team will only score 1 run every game. Too bad they can't have the Marlins offense and get 12 runs a game.

C'mon, guys...how about we start judging this team more when they aren't playing against the best pitcher in baseball in 38-degree weather?

BLEEDS
04-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Many bobbles? He had one bobble which led to the error. The one where the ball dropped was more Hairston and Gonzalez's fault than his.

For a guy making his first opening day roster, and first opening day start I'd say he did pretty well. He had our second hit and only run scored, I'd say he did ok.

Not many share your view, especially those who were at the game, which is why I asked if you were there or watched it. I heard he stunk up the field from more than one person (on the ORG, etc.), and that "he had no business being on the field".

Personally, I can't see why a guy with a .369 CAREER OPS, in the Minors, is getting a roster spot, let alone the start on Opening Day. Unless he is dating Baker's daughter... ;)

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Mutaman
04-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Thoughts? God I miss Adam Dunn, all is forgiven okay, come home.

His 2 for 3 today with a HR, double, 2 runs and 4 RBI's would've been better then old MacDonald

Gee I guess the Nats must have won big-----NOT!. Time to move forward.

DTCromer
04-06-2009, 10:41 PM
LOL. . MacDonald had no chance from the start with this fan base. The guy looked better than most of our other guys at the plate and ran the bases well when he was in. Nothing terrible, nothing spectacular. Exactly what you would expect out of him. He only started because of illness so he was today's whipping boy.

NeilHamburger
04-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Old MacDonald made one start EIEIO
Old Macdonald made an error EIEIO
with bobble bobble here and and strikeout there
here a bobble, there a strikeout everywhere an error error
Old Macdonald made one start EIEIO

forfreelin04
04-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Old MacDonald made one start EIEIO
Old Macdonald made an error EIEIO
with bobble bobble here and and strikeout there
here a bobble, there a strikeout everywhere an error error
Old Macdonald made one start EIEIO

Burger,

Your well done. Mcdonald is old for a Major Leaguer making his first Opening Day start. But he did provide the Reds their lone run, thanks to his baserunning, which was atrocious. Luckily, he was thrown into by Beltran instead of thrown out. Michael Johnson, himself, would have been thrown out by Beltran if that throw had been either to the right or left of Ole Mcdonny.

Also, what's with the tat on the neck? Do you think the symbol stands for "And on this farm he had a pig?"

Shenanigans aside, the Reds showed what they are and what they have to be this year. Some will say, it's only one game. Well... true but it is a microcosm of the Reds season. One run games. Some they will win.... some they will lose. If they can win, more than they lose; over .500 will be attainable. I am Yogi's son.

Chris Sabowned
04-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Not many share your view, especially those who were at the game, which is why I asked if you were there or watched it. I heard he stunk up the field from more than one person (on the ORG, etc.), and that "he had no business being on the field".

Personally, I can't see why a guy with a .369 CAREER OPS, in the Minors, is getting a roster spot, let alone the start on Opening Day. Unless he is dating Baker's daughter... ;)

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I watched the game on TV. I'm not sure why that makes a difference. Do I think Hernandez is gonna be a good cather for us? Yes. Do I think Darnell McDonald is going to be a good player for us? No. Today, however, McDonald got a hit and a run for us. And Hernandez may have hit the ball semi-hard once, but after that looked bad one two groundouts and the strikeout at the end of the game.

brachial pleXUs
04-07-2009, 12:47 AM
Worst thing about losing on Opening Day is now with the stupid day off after you have to savor the foul taste of losing for 48 hours

AMEN! The losing part isn't so bad... it's the fact that they give us baseball for one day, and then take it away again.

NeilHamburger
04-07-2009, 01:57 AM
Fun Fact:

Last 5 opening days the reds have faced:

2005 Pedro Martinez
2006 Carlos Zambrano
2007 Carlos Zambrano
2008 Brandon Webb
2009 Johan Santana

Come on, that's arguably the 3 best starters in the NL currently (with maybe a healthy Carpenter and Oswalt in the mix) and Pedro back when he was still Pedro. Chances are on opening day you're gonna face someone pretty good, but the Reds have had some really crappy opening day assignments for the last 5 years now. I mean, I'd kill to get the Pirates or Nationals or Rockies or Brewers in town. Hell, even teams like the marlins or Braves don't have that absolute hammer on opening day.

In other words, lighten up on our poor redlegs bud.

BLEEDS
04-07-2009, 08:38 AM
LOL. . MacDonald had no chance from the start with this fan base. The guy looked better than most of our other guys at the plate and. ran the bases well when he was in Nothing terrible, nothing spectacular. Exactly what you would expect out of him. He only started because of illness so he was today's whipping boy.

You're not serious right?!?! Did you see the game? He should have been out at 3rd by 15 feet!!! Gimme a break!

He is a AAA fodder player, that for some reason made a routine catch or something in Spring Training, and then made the team because everyone else - sans Gomez (I think that was a TERRIBLE move) - was worse.

It says a lot about the state of our team when a guy like this is our best option on opening day.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BLEEDS
04-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Burger,

Your well done. Mcdonald is old for a Major Leaguer making his first Opening Day start. But he did provide the Reds their lone run, thanks to his baserunning, which was atrocious. Luckily, he was thrown into by Beltran instead of thrown out. Michael Johnson, himself, would have been thrown out by Beltran if that throw had been either to the right or left of Ole Mcdonny.

Also, what's with the tat on the neck? Do you think the symbol stands for "And on this farm he had a pig?"

Shenanigans aside, the Reds showed what they are and what they have to be this year. Some will say, it's only one game. Well... true but it is a microcosm of the Reds season. One run games. Some they will win.... some they will lose. If they can win, more than they lose; over .500 will be attainable. I am Yogi's son.

That's some good stuff right there! 2 points for you!

NOW, I feel like it's opening day!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BLEEDS
04-07-2009, 08:49 AM
I watched the game on TV. I'm not sure why that makes a difference. Do I think Hernandez is gonna be a good cather for us? Yes. Do I think Darnell McDonald is going to be a good player for us? No. Today, however, McDonald got a hit and a run for us. And Hernandez may have hit the ball semi-hard once, but after that looked bad one two groundouts and the strikeout at the end of the game.

Well we can at least agree on something. ;)
I think that's the only position on the field we upgraded.
Other than AGON, who can't officially be called an upgrade, but I guess is simply because he's healthy since he didn't play at all last year.

I think Hernandez will be a huge addition behind the plate. He caught the game well and the steals were not his fault, they were on Harang, and from what I understand he STILL almost threw out Reyes, which practically nobody does. And, he totally called for the pick-off - by jumping out of his stance. So, those are all good signs.

His bat will be an upgrade by default. Bako and gang were so atrocious at the plate last year. However I guess when EE worked that walk late in the game, took like 18 pitches, Hernandez came in and hit the first pitch he saw. That's horrible. Hopefully his bat will come around.

I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up his option for next year.
Of course I hope that comes with some other major additions, since having 4 players making a combined $45M+ and whatever BP and EE are schedule to make - is not a good idea if your offense still stinks to high heaven, and you don't have a SS. (though maybe they'll be picking up AGON's option next year too?!?)

PEACE

-BLEEDS

DTCromer
04-07-2009, 09:08 AM
You're not serious right?!?! Did you see the game? He should have been out at 3rd by 15 feet!!! Gimme a break!

He is a AAA fodder player, that for some reason made a routine catch or something in Spring Training, and then made the team because everyone else - sans Gomez (I think that was a TERRIBLE move) - was worse.

It says a lot about the state of our team when a guy like this is our best option on opening day.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

He should've been out by 15 feet? Really? I didn't see that.

As for our best option, I'd rather have him than overpay for someone who's only going to be a stop gap for a year for a team that isn't going to make the playoffs anyway. Give him his 15 minutes and let him go.

As I said, the worst game of the year from my standpoint is opening day because this is the 1 game where people either let the sky fall or think we're going to be World Series champions.

Eric_the_Red
04-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Didn't the ball hit him as he was sliding into third? How does that show he'd be out by 15 feet? (Unless he starts his slide waaay too early.)

Was it the best baserunning decision? Probably not. Does that make him a minor leaguer that deserves no other opportunity? No. Wasn't David Wright out at home after a bobble and worm-burning throw home by Bruce? Yeah, the Mets should cut that loser.

improbus
04-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Some other encouraging signs. EE and BPhil working counts. The Reds worked Santana for 100 pitches in 5.2 innings. That was encouraging.

Caveman Techie
04-07-2009, 10:04 AM
a loss is still a loss..by one run or 10

Not true, in a one run loss you were in the game and one ball drops in instead of being caught and it may be a different result. That can't be said of the 10 run loss.

LetsGoReds11
04-07-2009, 10:12 AM
It's the first game of the season.....Lets not get all worked up over it.....Darnell McDonald will not be around much longer......The Reds hit against one of the best starters in the game and two of the best relievers in the game....(Not worried about the offense just yet)......The Mets only scored 2 runs against the Reds pitchers and I don't think any Mets fans are calling for their offense heads.....It's one game into the season, not much to look into......Just be glad you are not a Yankees fan with Sabathia giving up 6 runs and Teixera going 0-4 and their 300 and some million dollar contracts...My point is there is a 161 more games to be played the Yankees aren't running them out of town and we shouldn't be thinkn all is lost after 1 game

PedroBourbon
04-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Some other encouraging signs. EE and BPhil working counts. The Reds worked Santana for 100 pitches in 5.2 innings. That was encouraging.

That was a good sign. I think Dickerson even worked a 1-2 count into a walk also. McDonald looked awful on defense. Three balls fell between him and the middle infield. I'll give him a bye on the third one as it looked to me that either BP or AGon (I don't remember which one) were calling for it and bailed. I was near the LF foul pole and the other two may have been catchable with a good jump which he didn't have. Herrera looked awful too. I was pleased with Hernandez's play, the two steals were on Harang and Ramon almost had Reyes on the first steal despite that. Weathers looked great. Hope that continues.

WildcatFan
04-07-2009, 10:49 AM
HOO-WEE! Must be baseball season!

I for one was encouraged by the Reds' play, minus the couple of outfield miscues. If it were June and our boys had chased Johan after 5.2 innings but lost by just one, we would be singing a different tune. Agreed, McDonald should be in Louisville and DEFINITELY out of the two-hole. But for the most part, the Reds were patient at the plate, the infield defense was excellent, and the pitching outside of Herrera was outstanding. The offense will come around against non-former Cy Young winners.

RawOwl UK
04-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Wow this is the biggest over reaction I have ever read.

*Sits and waits for April to pan out then may make a few comments*

OesterPoster
04-07-2009, 11:17 AM

You must be new here. :)

Chris Sabowned
04-07-2009, 11:27 AM

We got a day off. What else are we supposed to talk about?

improbus
04-07-2009, 11:43 AM

We do resemble a pack of rabid dogs who finally got some meat after 7 months.

BLEEDS
04-07-2009, 12:15 PM
We do resemble a pack of rabid dogs who finally got some meat after 7 months.

More like rotten soy burgers.

But, I hear they are serving steak tomorrow... along with free beer !!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

RawOwl UK
04-07-2009, 12:54 PM

I just think an opener against the Mets & Santana was always going to be a tough ask. This thread could have been wrote on Sunday night. I dont think we are any closer after just the one game to see how the Reds are gonna do this year.

Caveman Techie
04-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Depressed much? :) cheer up it was one game, and btw it wasn't a bad game at all the Reds had their chances to win it all the way up to the last out.

mlh1981
04-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Santana definately had it going on. The Reds and their free swinging ways will always be exposed by these kind of pitchers. We were patient early on, but old habits set back in.

Not many teams are going to do too much against a Santana-Putz-K-Rod combo.

ChatterRed
04-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Its an absolute shame that this pitching staff is being wasted because we dont have an owner that wants to spend the money to win.

This team needs a couple of RH bats. and we would be playoff bound for sure.

My thought exactly heading into the season.

The Reds have their best starting and relieving pitching staff in possibly 18-20 years and Castellini/Jocketty aren't willing to add one or two more name/proven hitters?????????

What a waste of an opportunity.

leakbrewergator
04-07-2009, 03:26 PM
^^^ I agree with both of you. Our pitching staff is among the best in the league. Just one deep threat would be good to have in the lineup.

improbus
04-07-2009, 03:47 PM
^^^ I agree with both of you. Our pitching staff is among the best in the league. Just one deep threat would be good to have in the lineup.

I think we have 4 of them. Maybe not 40 HR guys, but four 25 homer guys w/ the potential for more.

BLEEDS
04-07-2009, 04:45 PM
I think we have 4 of them. Maybe not 40 HR guys, but four 25 homer guys w/ the potential for more.

Well, I'll give you 2 and maybe 3 - EE and Bruce for sure have legit 25+ HR power. Votto should be 20-25, but he's more of a spray hitter, if he wanted to hit more than 25 HR's - he'd have to do a BP and be a hacker out there and lower all his other stellar numbers, and in BP's case, get lucky.

I don't think we'll ever see BP get 25 HR's again, let alone 30. His career year was pretty much a fluke as far as HR's were concerned, someone did the analytics on it and I think that he lead the league in "just enough" HR's - basically he "got lucky" to get a couple balls 357 on a 350 LF alley, and 387 on a 385 LC gap more than a handful of times. He's really not a 400+ft power guy, not on the level of 25+.

But, hey, let's assume we DID have 4 guys with 20-25HR+, well wouldn't it be nice if we had ONE guy who had 40+ Hr power, or even 30-35 HR power? and maybe with some OBP to go along with it? Because currently we don't have any that on our roster either.
I mean, why have a 20 game winner starting pitcher when you can have 5 guys be 4 game winners?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Kingspoint
04-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Correction: Reds were charged with one error and there could have been more. Balls falling between three players remind me of the start of the season in the movie "Major League."

Overall, the Reds didn't play bad but you won't win many games with 1 run and 3 hits.

I didn't get to see the game until late last night, after watching the keystone cops called the REDS play Defense, I have to change what I said about us playing error free baseball. That was abysmal to watch, from Votto falling down where he should have been attempting a double-play ball to LF/CF/SS fiascos that were strewn around through most of the innings. It was just one game, but I certainly hope to see it improved 1 Million %.

Is it me, or does Gonzalez think of himself as a prima donna? He plays defense like nobody can teach him anything about right or wrong and as a result really comes up with some bone-headed ideas himself about how to play defense. I'm not impressed by him. Now I know why we kept Janish.

Kingspoint
04-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Agreed. They will score a lot more runs than that on average.

Yes, he definitely battled through the elements and a very inconsistent strike zone from what I understand.

This should be the norm actually. Nothing to get excited about - unless you were in the group who was all over his ST stats. I said he needs to be in a "real" game to get his adrenaline and focus zoned in, most great relievers do.

Thank the Official Scorer. Old MacDonald played horrific, and JHJ wasn't far behind him.

Probably. Dickerson did draw a walk though - and then promptly was stranded. He has no place in this Dusty Lineup of hackers.

No, but slight chance the difference may be about the same...

I severely doubt that, unfortunately.

Actually it was a runner on 3rd AND 2nd, and ZERO outs. We scored one run. Very UN-Fantastic.

I think Herrera is good against free-swinging power guys, not the bottom of the order. He walked Santana. I'm sure he had more than a few butterflies.

All in all, I think this is "Your New Cincinnati Reds". A lot of fast guys who can't hit, can't get on base, and sub-par defense too. At least they are cheap.

We've gone from pitching-starved to pitching-ritch, but decided to "overhaul" our offense in the process, all in the name of Defense, which looked horrific today, and really isn't going to have that much of an overall affect I'm afraid.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I'll post this for you, too as I didn't get to actually watch the game until late last night. I couldn't have been more wrong about the Defense. It was atrocious.....Votto included. If this continues, we'll lose 100 games. But, I don't think this will be the case and my prediction of 87 Wins remains.

Kingspoint
04-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Also, I liked what I saw with Herrera. The Defense behind him was atrocious.

xavr1
04-07-2009, 05:15 PM
I have a feeling EE is gonna singlehandledly cause me to pull all my hair out this season

Captain Hook
04-07-2009, 05:25 PM
His point was is that we do have deep ball threats on this team and I agree.I also agree with Bleeds that this team is missing 1 guy that will hit 30-35 homers a year.Up and down the line up we have decent power with the exception of Tavares.My best guess for our guys hitting the long ball goes as....

EE 25
Bruce 27
Votto 26
Hernandez 19
Phillips 20
Gonzalez 17
Dickerson 17
Harriston Jr.10

With other bench guys getting another 15-20 that would actually put us over our 2008 total.I still think you need that 1 huge power guy in the line up that strikes fear in the pitcher.

NeilHamburger
04-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Also, I liked what I saw with Herrera. The Defense behind him was atrocious.

You liked walking the bases loaded, including walking the oppossing pitcher?

Damn, you're easy to please

BurgervilleBuck
04-07-2009, 05:34 PM

I agree with you. It was quite a disappointment not to see the stands full. It seems the only ones who came were diehards and those who had been drinking since 8am. :rolleyes:

DannyB
04-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Losing 2-1 with 3 hits stinks as bad as losing 8-6.

BurgervilleBuck
04-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Losing 2-1 with 3 hits stinks as bad as losing 8-6.

Good point. I'm abandoning ship now.:denorfia:

BLEEDS
04-07-2009, 06:43 PM
My best guess for our guys hitting the long ball goes as....

EE 25
Bruce 27
Votto 26
Hernandez 19
Phillips 20
Gonzalez 17
Dickerson 17

I would be beyond pleased if these guys came up with these power numbers. I think they are the biggest ??'s - along with Dickerson - as far as bats are concerned.
The other numbers look pretty decent as far as honest projections are concerned.

Harriston Jr.10

Not sure how he's going to get this as a part-time player. I don't expect him to take over 250-300 AB's this year, and if so, he'd have to best his career year OPS to even get close to 10.
MAYBE if he took over for Tavares fulltime in the OF. If he takes over at SS, no way Agon gets the numbers you projected.

With other bench guys getting another 15-20 that would actually put us over our 2008 total.

Who exactly on our bench is going to get these HR's?!?!

McDonald - 0 Career .379 OPS, he'll likely never get a MLB HR
Janish - 1 maybe? He's not gettine more than 100-150 AB's, max, and if he does that lowers AGON's number
Hanigan - 3 maybe? He's not getting more than 100-150 AB's, max, and if he does that lowers Hernandez's number
Nix - 5 maybe? He's not getting more than 100-150 AB's, max

We are WOEFULLY short on power on our bench. It's disgusting actually.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BLEEDS
04-07-2009, 06:44 PM
I'll post this for you, too as I didn't get to actually watch the game until late last night. I couldn't have been more wrong about the Defense. It was atrocious.....Votto included. If this continues, we'll lose 100 games. But, I don't think this will be the case and my prediction of 87 Wins remains.

I nominate that this be the new nickname for the 2009 team.

The Cincinnati Atrocious's - or A's if you will...:p:

PEACE

-BLEEDS

redhawk61
04-07-2009, 06:54 PM

Janish - 1 maybe? He's not gettine more than 100-150 AB's, max, and if he does that lowers AGON's number
Hanigan - 3 maybe? He's not getting more than 100-150 AB's, max, and if he does that lowers Hernandez's number

PEACE

-BLEEDS
You forgot the 10 HR's Owings will hit off the bench:thumbup:

redsfan1966
04-07-2009, 07:16 PM
I will try to keep my opinions brief---I tend to ramble about Opening Day. First, there is no way that game is played if it wasnt Opening Day. As far as fan reaction and attendence---cut them some slack. I am a diehard and also one who was drinking at 8am--but for the casual fan, I cant blame them for not wanting to be out in that mess. As far as the game, I thought we looked ok for it being the opener and facing Santana. Harang pitched well; the bullpen was ok except for Herrera's blip. I am concerned about Phillips in the 4-hole and that McDonald had to start for the opener. The last thing I will say is for all the hype about the HD scoreboard, I wasnt all that impressed---I wish the 10 million had gone into the roster instead....

Eric_the_Red
04-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Votto hit 24 HR last year. Any reason to believe he could not be the 30 HR power source in the lineup?

Bruce hit 21 in 108 games last year. I could see him reasonably hitting 30+ HR.

Edwin hit 26 HR last year.

Phillips has hit 51 HR total the last 2 seasons.

Ramon Hernandez has hit 15 or more HR five times, and over 20 twice.

AGon has hit 14 or more HR four times.

So, we could reasonably get the following HR totals:
Votto - 25-30
Bruce - 25-30
EE - 25
Phillips - 20-25
Hernandez - 15-20
AGon - 10-15

That's 130-155 HR from 6 players. Last year the average team hit 163 HR.

I'm not saying we will get these totals from the listed players, but it is a possibility. I honestly don't think the offense will be as bad as many are saying.

Besides, with this rotation we could win a fair share of games with 4 or 5 runs scored.

sabometrics
04-07-2009, 08:40 PM

Great American Ballpark
Seating Capacity: 42,271
Attendance 4/6/09: 42,177

People came, but the seats never really filled up entirely. Can you blame anyone? The weather was absolutely miserable. A large contingent of the crowd was relaxing in the concourse watching the game on one of the many new flatscreens installed at the top of each aisle, rather than toughing it out in the rain and sleet.

But if you're watching at home the people on the concourse might as well not have even been there - out of sight, out of mind I guess.

Eric_the_Red
04-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Yeah, the concourses were packed. My wife & I took a stroll around to try to warm up and the lower level was pretty much packed all the way down the third base area to the new team shop.

JBChance
04-07-2009, 10:48 PM
I didn't get to see the game until late last night, after watching the keystone cops called the REDS play Defense, I have to change what I said about us playing error free baseball. That was abysmal to watch, from Votto falling down where he should have been attempting a double-play ball to LF/CF/SS fiascos that were strewn around through most of the innings. It was just one game, but I certainly hope to see it improved 1 Million %.

Is it me, or does Gonzalez think of himself as a prima donna? He plays defense like nobody can teach him anything about right or wrong and as a result really comes up with some bone-headed ideas himself about how to play defense. I'm not impressed by him. Now I know why we kept Janish.

The defense was the most disappointing part of the game. The emphasis on defense and "fundamentals" was not evident. Some of Darnell's play might be attributed to it being an opening day for him - perhaps he had some nervousness. They need to get it together and support the pitching effort or the or new, lower-scoring offense has no chance to keep us in games.

I thought the pitching was good, save Herrera. Harang did get into some jams, but stayed tough and worked it out. I'm hoping Herrera was just a bundle of nerves (the walks scream overthrowing) and will have a better time of it next time out.

It was encouraging keeping them to 2, but we need to tighten the D and get the offense to do what it can. If we do that, jettison McDonald, and add a bat, I can see .500 this season. That's a little better than I thought, previously

Captain Hook
04-08-2009, 12:13 AM

PEACE

-BLEEDS

You never can tell with bench guys.Could be someone not even on the team now.I'd be willing to bet that we get at least 15 more HR from others not on my list of just 8 guys.

BurgervilleBuck
04-08-2009, 01:26 AM
I am a diehard and also one who was drinking at 8am
Please tell me, then, you were one of the many drunks I saw challenging people to fights in the john or complaining to the beer vendor about prices.

I'd have to say that my favorite(ish) drunk story from OD was the extremely inebriated girl standing behind me in one of the vendor lines sobbing into her cell phone to some anonymous friend about Sean Miller leaving Xavier.:rolleyes:

However, it was my first Opening Day and my wife, my kids, and I enjoyed it. We would have just enjoyed it more had the Reds won. But, as Dusty says, 161 more games to go.

Ghosts of 1990
04-08-2009, 01:34 AM
I agree with you. It was quite a disappointment not to see the stands full. It seems the only ones who came were diehards and those who had been drinking since 8am. :rolleyes:

Crowd was bad but did you see: the listed attendance was over 42K!!!

It didn't look it

BurgervilleBuck
04-08-2009, 01:42 AM
Crowd was bad but did you see: the listed attendance was over 42K!!!

It didn't look it

It didn't. But chalk it up to "people roaming the concourse" and/or folks deciding that if they were going to enjoy something cold, wet, & sloppy that they could just stay home and have a gazpacho.

DaytonFlyer
04-08-2009, 08:52 AM
The worst thing about Opening Day? It seems like it's another week until the Reds play again.

xavr1
04-08-2009, 11:55 AM
I agree. Here's to Volquez evening things up tonight...

redsfan1966
04-08-2009, 06:07 PM
BurgervilleBuck---no, I wasnt challenging any one to fights or complaining about beer prices--I did my drinking at GameDay before the game and sobered up at the parade--(in actuality I only had a couple of beers, but they were during the 8am hour) :)