PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Sarasota Reds roster

OnBaseMachine
04-07-2009, 02:10 PM
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=535&stn=true&sid=t535

Pitchers:

Jesus Carnevales
Enerio Del Rosario
Jerry Gil
Daniel Guerrero
Jeremy Horst
Matt Klinker
Joseph Krebs
Luis Montano
Logan Ondrusek
Zach Stewart
Philippe-Alexandre Valiquette
Travis Webb

Catchers:

Jason Bour
Ben Davis
Jake Long
Devin Mesoraco
Justin Tordi

Infielders:

Yonder Alonso
Alex Buchholz
Jacob Kahaulelio
Jason Louwsma
Neftali Soto

Outfielders:

Carson Kainer
Dan Perales
Denis Phipps
Justin Reed

That's 26 players, so obviously someone in that group will be cut or assigned somewhere else. They have Ben Davis listed as a catcher but he converted to a pitcher and is expected to be the closer.

AmarilloRed
04-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Alex Buchholz skipped Dayton and went straight to Sarasota. Sarasota will be a good judge of how good a hitter he can be. One thing for sure, he wont hit .394 in Sarasota.

RED VAN HOT
04-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Is there news on how Travis Webb looks after returning? Will he start the season on the active roster and not the DL?

Benihana
04-07-2009, 04:28 PM
There are six guys on this team in which I have a real interest, with two falling into each of the following categories:

TOO EASY (should be in AA IMO)

Zach Stewart
Yonder Alonso

FUN TO WATCH (I hope they'll have a big year, which will move them way up the prospect charts.)

Neftali Soto
Justin Reed

TOO SOON? (got bumped up quickly, will be a telling year for them)

Devin Mesoraco
Alex Buchholz

mace
04-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Who plays SS?

redsinraleigh
04-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Did the Ben Davis to pitcher plan get scrapped?

camisadelgolf
04-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Jesus Carnevales is a big left-hander, signed by the Twins out of Puerto Rico and released in October, 2007. He's 24 years old and playing in A+ for the first time. Does anybody happen to know what he was doing in 2008?
http://tr.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd32Mul7rhE
http://tr.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw1U6zdL5y4

camisadelgolf
04-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Did the Ben Davis to pitcher plan get scrapped?
I think he's listed as a catcher just as a formality. It's been said that he will get a chance to close games.

princeton
04-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Jesus Carnevales is a big left-hander, signed by the Twins out of Puerto Rico and released in October, 2007. He's 24 years old and playing in A+ for the first time. Does anybody happen to know what he was doing in 2008?

Master's Degree Program?

RED VAN HOT
04-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Who plays SS?

good question. There does not appear to be a prototypical SS in the bunch. I thought I had read elsewhere that Reds personnel believed that Buchholz was capable of playing SS. Perhaps they are going to try him there. That would really be challenging to skip a level and change positions too. Then, they may give Soto another try after a year at 3B. It is understandable why he did not play SS at Dayton, but he also played 3B at Billings.

I had thought that the SS would be Castro. Yet, he is on the Mudcats roster. I don't see him getting much chance to play SS there with Cozart on the fast track.

camisadelgolf
04-07-2009, 05:55 PM
I'd imagine that Justin Tordi would get a lot of the playing time at shortstop since there's clearly no need for more catchers at Sarasota.

11larkin11
04-07-2009, 05:56 PM
So Cozart skips to AA?

JayBruceFan
04-07-2009, 05:56 PM
I think we will see Mesoraco in Dayton around May 1st when it starts to get warmer

JayBruceFan
04-07-2009, 05:59 PM
I'd imagine that Justin Tordi would get a lot of the playing time at shortstop since there's clearly no need for more catchers at Sarasota.

:thumbup:

Maybe being back at his natural position will result in him hitting better as well

JaxRed
04-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Sure looks to me like Jacob Kahaulelio is the SS

RED VAN HOT
04-07-2009, 07:47 PM
The SS position almost looks poll worthy. At least we won't have long to wait.

mth123
04-07-2009, 08:05 PM
What happened to Keltavious Jones?

camisadelgolf
04-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Apparently Alex Buchholz was playing a lot of shortstop in the off-season, so I think he'll be the everyday shortstop while Jake Kahaulelio is the everyday second baseman.

OnBaseMachine
04-07-2009, 08:13 PM
What happened to Keltavious Jones?

According to a poster on Doug's site, Jones had his spleen removed last week and will report to extended spring training in two weeks.

mth123
04-07-2009, 08:23 PM
According to a poster on Doug's site, Jones had his spleen removed last week and will report to extended spring training in two weeks.

Thanks.

JaxRed
04-07-2009, 08:27 PM
thanks for 'spleening that.... :D

RED VAN HOT
04-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Apparently Alex Buchholz was playing a lot of shortstop in the off-season, so I think he'll be the everyday shortstop while Jake Kahaulelio is the everyday second baseman.

Buchholz it is. Skips a level, switches to SS and bats cleanup. I think we have a big time prospect in the making.

Mario-Rijo
04-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Buchholz it is. Skips a level, switches to SS and bats cleanup. I think we have a big time prospect in the making.

I agree RVH I really liked Bucholz from the start. That said he isn't a future major league SS, probably the closest thing to Keppinger defensively (but with a shade more range and cannot recall but hoping better arm also) we have in the minors. Valaika on offense with a little less contact and a little more pop and probably similiar in the speed area.

RED VAN HOT
04-09-2009, 08:23 PM
I agree RVH I really liked Bucholz from the start. That said he isn't a future major league SS, probably the closest thing to Keppinger defensively (but with a shade more range and cannot recall but hoping better arm also) we have in the minors. Valaika on offense with a little less contact and a little more pop and probably similiar in the speed area.

That sounds about right. It is interesting what the Reds are doing in the minor leagues with the SS position. Valaika is playing SS tonight for the Bats. Cozart and Buchholz both skipped a level. Let the competition begin. The race is on to develop a ML SS. This tells me that there is no intention of resigning Gonzalez and Janish is viewed as a utility player. They are giving both Valaika and Buchholz every opportunity to show they can handle the position. IMO, one of the three minor leaguers will be the opening day SS next year.

OnBaseMachine
04-13-2009, 07:43 PM
According to Baseball America, Ben Davis is currently on the temporarily inactive list.