PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Carolina Mudcats roster

OnBaseMachine
04-07-2009, 02:28 PM
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=249&sid=t249

Pitchers:

James Avery
Federico Baez
Dallas Buck
Misael DeJesus
Ramon Geronimo
Derrik Lutz
Ruben Medina
Alexander Smit
Jordan Smith
Camilo Vazquez
Pedro Viola
Sean Watson
Travis Wood

Catchers:

Chris Denove
Chris Kroski

Infielders:

Jose Castro
Zach Cozart
Eric Eymann
Juan Francisco
Michael Griffin
Logan Parker

Outfielders:

Shaun Cumberland
Todd Frazier
Chris Heisey
Sean Henry

OnBaseMachine
04-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Two things:

1.) By sending Pedro Viola back to Double-A, this seems to indicate that they'll follow through with the plan of using him as a starter. The rotation should be (in no particular order):

Dallas Buck
Travis Wood
Pedro Viola
Jordan Smith
Alexander Smit

James Avery should go to the bullpen where his stuff is better suited for.

2.) It looks like Danny Dorn will begin the season in Louisville. Good move by the Reds. He had nothing left to prove in Double-A.

BRM
04-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Does this mean Henry is staying in the outfield? Seems like I remember some chatter about him converting to 2B. I could be wrong though.

Kc61
04-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Cumberland played 48 games at AAA last year, now back at AA level.

batsfan
04-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Cumberland played 48 games at AAA last year, now back at AA level.

Michael Griffen played in 89, and so is he. Odd.

It does not look like the bats have there rosters out yet. Here is my prediction.

Pitchers:

Homer Bailey
Daryl Thompson
Ramon Ramirez
Matt Maloney
Adam Pettyjohn
Ben Jukish
Sam LeCure
Robert Manual
Carlos Fisher
Jeff Kennard
Josh Roenike
Justin Mallett
Bill Bray

Catchers:
Craig Tatum
Wilkin Castillo

Infielders:

Kevin Barker
Wes Bankston
Luis Bolivar
Chris Valaika
Danny Richar
Adam Rosales

Outfielders:

Drew T. Anderson
Drew Stubbs
Norris Hopper
Danny Dorn or Johnny Gomes

RED VAN HOT
04-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Two things:

1.) By sending Pedro Viola back to Double-A, this seems to indicate that they'll follow through with the plan of using him as a starter. The rotation should be (in no particular order):

Dallas Buck
Travis Wood
Pedro Viola
Jordan Smith
Alexander Smit

James Avery should go to the bullpen where his stuff is better suited for.

As the only Misael DeJesus fan on Redszone, I have to ask what his role will be. I like his H/9 and K/9. He has been a reliever, but most recently a starter. If Viola remains a starter, then there will be three LHP's in the starting rotation and only one in the bullpen.

camisadelgolf
04-07-2009, 04:59 PM
As the only Misael DeJesus fan on Redszone, I have to ask what his role will be. I like his H/9 and K/9. He has been a reliever, but most recently a starter. If Viola remains a starter, then there will be three LHP's in the starting rotation and only one in the bullpen.
:lol:
Come on. Every time I've seen him mentioned, I've called him underrated and/or had praise for him. I like the way the Mudcats' rotation shapes up, but if there's an injury, or if someone gets tired, DeJesus would be the first guy I'd want as a replacement. It's not uncommon for a player to start the season as a reliever just to keep his innings down, so it wouldn't surprise me if one of those guys moves to the bullpen and is replaced by DeJesus later in the year.

JayBruceFan
04-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Who is Federico Baez?

camisadelgolf
04-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Who is Federico Baez?
I'm not sure if it's true, but I read somewhere that Baez started as a position player in the Orioles organization, but after that didn't work out, the Cubs signed him and converted him to a pitcher. His numbers were only so-so, and he has really struggled the past few years, but the Reds signed him this off-season, so I guess they see something they like.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=baez--001fed

gedred69
04-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Glad to see Jordan Smith stays at AA. I think he might "turn the switch on" sometime soon. Also, glad to see that Dorn will be in Louisville, where he can readily transition to MLB LF, when the Brass decides they need some more power.

mth123
04-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Michael Griffen played in 89, and so is he. Odd.

It does not look like the bats have there rosters out yet. Here is my prediction.

Pitchers:

Homer Bailey
Daryl Thompson
Ramon Ramirez
Matt Maloney
Adam Pettyjohn
Ben Jukish
Sam LeCure
Robert Manual
Carlos Fisher
Jeff Kennard
Josh Roenike
Justin Mallett
Bill Bray

Catchers:
Craig Tatum
Wilkin Castillo

Infielders:

Kevin Barker
Wes Bankston
Luis Bolivar
Chris Valaika
Danny Richar
Adam Rosales

Outfielders:

Drew T. Anderson
Drew Stubbs
Norris Hopper
Danny Dorn or Johnny Gomes

Might we see a Dorn/Gomes platoon? I'd liketo see those guys in Cincy platooning in LF with Dickerson/Hairston in CF. Cut Willy and Darnell to make it happen.

Benihana
04-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Might we see a Dorn/Gomes platoon? I'd liketo see those guys in Cincy platooning in LF with Dickerson/Hairston in CF. Cut Willy and Darnell to make it happen.

:beerme:

too bad that'll never happen :rolleyes:

Maybe with a horrible start to the season, Dusty would see the light. But after witnessing the CP debacle last year, I'll suspend my optimism.

That said, here's my ideal scenario:

Assuming Taveras plays like Taveras in April, and Gomes and Dorn continue to crush lefties and righties respectively, I do the following:

Call up Gomes and Dorn. Send down McDonald and Nix. Taveras becomes the 4th OF.
Platoon Gomes and Dorn in LF, Dickerson and Hairston in CF, and play Bruce everyday in RF.

If we are contending come July and need some extra offensive punch, make a (rental) deal for Holliday, assuming you don't have to give up too much.

Next year, Alonso goes to 1B, Votto goes to LF, and Dickerson and Stubbs platoon in CF. Taveras and Dorn are the 4th and 5th OFs, respectively.

AmarilloRed
04-08-2009, 12:01 AM
:

Next year, Alonso goes to 1B, Votto goes to LF, and Dickerson and Stubbs platoon in CF. Taveras and Dorn are the 4th and 5th OFs, respectively.

Alonso is starting at High-A this season. I'd really be surprised if he started at 1B for Cincinnati next year.

Benihana
04-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Alonso is starting at High-A this season. I'd really be surprised if he started at 1B for Cincinnati next year.

I'd be really surprised if he wasn't in Cincinnati, at least at some point next year.

Unless of course the Reds decide that Votto is too valuable at 1B and trade Alonso for other needs (ie SS or C)

OnBaseMachine
04-09-2009, 02:05 AM
It's opening day for Mudcats, Bulls
Reds sending a talented mix to the Carolina Mudcats
Javier Serna - Staff Writer
Published: Thu, Apr. 09, 2009 12:30AM

ZEBULON -- The most exciting aspect of the Carolina Mudcats' new affiliation with the Cincinnati Reds was on display in this past Friday's exhibition at Five County Stadium.

Juan Francisco's home run to right field was hit so hard, so far and so high that it cleared the visitors clubhouse.

Clearly, there's some power in the Mudcats' lineup.

The Reds may promote players to the big leagues directly from their Double-A clubhouse only rarely (they didn't do it once last season), but the Mudcats, who open tonight at Mississippi won't lack talent.

New Mudcats manager David Bell touted the mix of power and speed in his lineup and what he considers a talented rotation of pitchers.

Before Friday's exhibition, Reds manager Dusty Baker didn't rule out the possibility of promoting directly from Carolina.

"It depends on what we need," he said. "A lot of it depends on the opinions of our scouts and the opinions of a lot of people over whether this kid is ready or not."

The clubhouse is not too crowded in Cincinnati, where Baker is managing one of the youngest teams in the majors.

Still, the Reds generally like to promote players step by step, said Terry Reynolds, who heads player development for the team's farm system.

"We kind of believe that there are different levels and that guys should succeed at one before they move on to another one," Reynolds said. "If they prove to us that they're better than the league, and there's an opportunity above, then they move."

Francisco, a 21-year-old prospect from the Dominican Republic, is a case study in the Reds' philosophy, which mirrors the prevailing wisdom of many major league teams. The Florida Marlins, affiliated with the Mudcats the past six seasons, were more quick than most teams to promote Double-A players to the majors.

In 2006, Francisco started his professional career in the Rookie League, the lowest level in the minors, and was promoted up a level to the advanced Rookie League that same year.

He played the entire 2007 season in Single-A Dayton. Last year, he did the same in Class A Advanced Sarasota, where he hit 23 home runs.

Ranked No. 8 in Baseball America magazine's list of Reds' prospects, the third baseman is among three hitters expected to muscle the ball around the park near the middle the Mudcats' lineup.

"I have about 10 lineups made out right now," Bell, joking, said when asked how the roster would shape up.

The other power hitters include outfielder Todd Frazier (the No. 2 Reds prospect) and first baseman Logan Parker.

Outfielder Chris Heisey had 32 stolen bases last season between Sarasota and Chattanooga (the Reds' previous Double-A team).

Bell, in his first stint as a manager, shouldn't have any trouble relating to the players. He played in the major leagues 11 seasons, most recently in 2006.

The top pitching prospect in the Mudcats' starting rotation is Jordan Smith, a 6-foot-3 right-hander, who had a combined ERA of 3.84 between Sarasota and Chattanooga last season. Smith is third in the rotation behind Dallas Buck and Travis Wood.

Buck, part of the Adam Dunn trade this past August, underwent Tommy John surgery last season and looked sharp against the Reds in Friday's exhibition. He gave up three hits and two runs to the Reds in five innings.

As for closers, look for Ramon Geronimo (13 saves and a 1.93 ERA last season), Sean Watson (13 saves and a 4.43 ERA) and Derrik Lutz (23 saves in 2007) to finish off games.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

1. TODD FRAZIER, OF: Frazier adds power to the middle of the Mudcats' lineup. He hit .291 while playing at Class A Dayton and Class A Advanced Sarasota last season.

2. JUAN FRANCISCO, 3B: The third baseman hit .277 with 23 home runs and 34 doubles last season at Sarasota.

3. JORDAN SMITH, RHP: The top-rated pitcher on the Mudcats' staff was ranked the No. 13 prospect in the Reds' system by Baseball America. He split last season between two clubs, putting up better numbers (2.55 ERA) in Sarasota than in Double-A Chattanooga (5.40 ERA).

http://www.newsobserver.com/732/story/1478770.html

OnBaseMachine
04-09-2009, 02:21 AM
Pedro Viola isn't listed on the updated Carolina roster, so it looks like he'll begin the season in the Louisville bullpen.

OnBaseMachine
04-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Published: Apr 14, 2009 02:00 PM
Modified: Apr 14, 2009 02:00 PM

Mudcats have the talent

By D. Clay Best, staff writer
ZEBULON — If you’re looking for power hitters, you’ll find them at Five County Stadium this season.

Talented Reds prospects Juan Francisco, Todd Frazier and Logan Parker fit the bill there.

If speed’s your thing, Chris Heisey and Sean Henry will fit the bill.

There’s pitching as well, with a potentially stellar rotation that includes a pitcher who puzzled the Reds in a Futures’ Game start earlier this month — Dallas Buck, as well as Sean Watson and Jordan Smith, two of Cincinnati’s top-rated prospects.

The 2009 season of Carolina Mudcats baseball takes on a new look with its association with the Reds’ franchise. The change comes at a time when Cincinnati’s entire organization is going through the early growing stages of a rebuilding effort led by veteran general manager Walt Jocketty. The changes have already rebuilt the Reds’ current roster into a blend of promise and young talent and will be on full display with the Mudcats’ roster this season.

Carolina’s roster, under the direction of three coaches all with multiple years of Major League experience, features player after player viewed as potential keystones of the Reds’ big league efforts. “We’ve definitely got a nice little blend,” said Mudcats’ hitting coach Ryan Jackson, who was a collegiate All-American at Duke.

The strong part of Carolina’s blend is the trio of Francisco, Frazier and Parker. All three possess game-changing power. Parker and Francisco already both have 20-plus home run seasons under their belts, while Frazier appears ready to pounce on a spot in the Reds’ lineup after his shift from the infield to left field.

“We have some guys who are deep at certain positions,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “Todd is a guy that we like a lot. He has tremendous power. He can play first, third, short or the outfield. The main thing is finding the right place for him in the field.”

With the left side of the infield in Cincinnati apparently set for the future with Alex Gonzalez at shortstop and Francisco headed for the hot corner, Frazier is learning how to play left field in a move to the Reds hope will put his potent bat into the Reds’ lineup down the line.

“I can answer that better by the All-Star break,” said Terry Reynolds, the Reds’ director of player development. “We hope. ... We think that right now, that’s the best spot for him. It’s new for him. But he’s been out there for three weeks, so we’ll see.”

Even with Joey Votto, who finished second in National League Rookie of the Year voting, at first base in Cincy, Parker’s future is seen as bright as well.

“Those guys are going to be in the middle of the lineup,” Bell said of Frazier and Francisco. “One's a left-handed hitter and one’s a right-handed hitter and because of that, they’ll more than likely be back-to-back.”

Joining Francisco in the infield will be shortstop Zach Cozart, who moves up from Low-A ball to Double-A this season. Second baseman Eric Eymann hit over .300 for Chattanooga in the Southern League last season.

“The lineup has a good mix of speed and power,” Bell said. “We’re fortunate enough to have here some guys that are definitely considered prospects, that fit well together in a lineup.”

Joining Buck, Wood and Smith in the rotation will be James Avery and Misael DeJesus.

“They’re all different guys,” Bell said of his pitching rotation. “They’re all very highly though of in our system and they’re going to be fun to watch in this league.”

Bullpen leaders are expected to be Ramon Geronimo, Sean Watson, Derrik Lutz, lefty Camilo Vazquez and 157-pound fireballer Ruben Medina.

“We have several back of the bullpen type pitchers,” Bell said. “One of the things that's encouraged is to see these guys be able to pitch in different situations and roles and to stretch them out from time-to-time. There’s four or five guys that I wouldn’t hesitate to use in that role.”

If Carolina pitching coach Rigo Beltran has his way, don’t expect to see huge strikeout numbers from the Mudcats in 2009. Beltran, who played with the Cardinals, Mets, Rockies and Expos in his four-year Major League career, wants to see plenty of ground balls coming off of the bats of Southern League foes.

“One of the things that I’m teaching to them a lot is that we’re going to become ground ball pitchers,” Beltran said. “When you become a ground ball pitcher, you’re going after the strike zone with every pitch. I don’t want them nitpicking. I want them to attack the bottom of the strike zone with every pitch.”

Buck showcased that potential in his start against the Reds, recording six ground ball outs and six strikeouts in a five-inning outing.

Working to mold the Mudcats of today into the Reds of 2010 or 2011 will be Bell, a third-generation Major Leaguer (son of Buddy Bell, grandson of Gus Bell). It will be the first managing job an 11-year big league veteran who compiled 1,239 hits from 1995-2006.

“One way to keep it simple is that everything you do on the field is to win the game,” said Bell of the approach he wants his team to have. “There's things that have to happen that I’ll expect to see for sure.”

The overriding theme of Reds’ management when they made their trip to Five County Stadium for the Futures’ Game and the Mudcats’ coaches is a renewed emphasis on winning.

“My goal is to help them go up,” Bell said. “The best way to help them do that is to learn how to do it in a way that when you get there, you’re going to be able to stay there. Now in the big leagues, it’s more about winning than it ever was. So if they understand that going in, you’re going to be prepared to succeed."

“That’s why there’s a scoreboard.”

http://www.easternwakenews.com/sports/story/3933.html

princeton
04-15-2009, 04:27 PM
we're set for the future because we have Alex Gonzalez at shortstop?

SMcGavin
04-15-2009, 04:45 PM
we're set for the future because we have Alex Gonzalez at shortstop?

Laughed at that one as well. But he does have a 2010 option on his contract...