PDA

View Full Version : Game Threads are once again allowed in The Sun Deck

Boss-Hog
04-07-2009, 08:28 PM
All,

After giving the idea some consideration, GIK and I have decided to reinstate game threads in this forum. The game threads forum will be a sub-forum of the Sun Deck and, like its parent forum, only Sun Deck members will be able to post in it. I want to caution that we are doing this on a trial basis - if a large enough percentage of game thread posters abuse the privilege, we will remove it. I'm not talking about one or two posters breaking the rules; we can deal with that number individually, but if the game threads begin to cause more problems than they're worth, they will once again be gone. As a result, I can't stress this point enough - we are reinstating them on a trial basis and it's up to you whether or not they are here to stay.

This forum will follow the same rules as everywhere else on the site (available at the bottom of every page). To avoid endless lineup bashing every game, we will have the same rule as we do the in the game thread forum for ORG members: please do not start a game thread more than 15 minutes prior to the start of the game. Finally, to ensure that violations of the rules reach all appropriate parties, we strongly encourage you to use the Report a Post feature (using the red and white icon with an exclamation point) to send posts to the admins and moderators for their review. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply to this thread.

Eric_the_Red
04-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Sounds great, Boss.

As a relatively new poster, what types of posts break the rules on a game thread? Anything different than any other post?

Boss-Hog
04-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Sounds great, Boss.

As a relatively new poster, what types of posts break the rules on a game thread? Anything different than any other post?
Not really any different than anywhere else on the side - just my opinion, but the biggest thing with game threads that has caused problems is the emotion tied to the game people are following. That, combined with the sheer volume of posts being made at one time, often leads to shorter fuses than normal and posters taking their frustration out on other posters.

TheBigLebowski
04-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Yeah! That's great news.

Ghosts of 1990
04-07-2009, 10:35 PM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thum bup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

To whomever was responsilble.

THIS IS AWESOME................

:cool:

I bet our inaugural game thread is going to be a win tomorrow night. Once again why RZ is the greatest place on the net to talk Reds baseball.... am I not right?

Ghosts of 1990
04-07-2009, 10:37 PM
We'll keep it mellow and constructive for sure.

This is one of the most fun things to do, discuss the game in a thread IMO.
Should be a great time!

schmidty622
04-07-2009, 10:42 PM
We'll keep it mellow and constructive for sure.

This is one of the most fun things to do, discuss the game in a thread IMO.
Should be a great time!

I agree this is great, but it sounds like you need to get out more.:cool:

jmac
04-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Great news. I will take part when I can ! :beerme:

JBChance
04-07-2009, 10:53 PM
The game thread will be a great thing, for sure. :thumbup:

Who volunteers to do play by play? I probably won't be able to see the game. I might listen, if I can, but I'm looking forward to some witty, Redszone-style commentary.

Gonna be great :beerme:

AccordinglyReds
04-07-2009, 10:54 PM
I agree this is great, but it sounds like you need to get out more.:cool:

hahaha :thumbup:

ChatterRed
04-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Since I've never experienced a game thread, I have no idea how someone could break rules regarding a game thread. How do you talk about a game and ruin a thread? I don't get it but I hope I never find out because I like the idea.

GIK
04-07-2009, 11:35 PM
I have no idea how someone could break rules regarding a game thread.

Personally attacking a fellow member will do it.

As long as everyone follows the rules at the bottom of every page here at RedsZone, there shouldn't be any problems.

JayBruceFan
04-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Silly question and sorry if it has been asked before or if it blasphemous but,

If we are all on the internet already, why do we need a game thread? There are many other avenues we can use to follow a game

Again, no disrespect. Just a noob with a noob question

Captain Hook
04-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Good news!

I think I'll keep using the chat room.Pretty good stuff in there and you get to mingle with ORG members.

captainmorgan07
04-08-2009, 12:17 AM
now fellows i've been around here longer than most and have seen the game threads go into the toilet the first time let's not happen again. Post your opinions but also realize just because someone's opinion differs than yours it might not be wrong.

Caveat Emperor
04-08-2009, 01:09 AM
Silly question and sorry if it has been asked before or if it blasphemous but,

If we are all on the internet already, why do we need a game thread? There are many other avenues we can use to follow a game

Again, no disrespect. Just a noob with a noob question

The majority of the people use the game thread as a sort of "instant feedback" or "chat thread" during the games -- most are already watching the game while they're posting on the thread.

improbus
04-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Since I've never experienced a game thread, I have no idea how someone could break rules regarding a game thread. How do you talk about a game and ruin a thread? I don't get it but I hope I never find out because I like the idea.
Here is the scenario. 2 on, 2 out, Reds down by 1, and Dunn strikes out. That is how message boards explode.

CySeymour
04-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks, guys...this should be a lot of fun. And to everyone, let's keep these fun but civil.

improbus
04-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks, guys...this should be a lot of fun. And to everyone, let's keep these fun but civil.
That is infinitely more likely without Dunn in the lineup.

stevekun
04-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks to those responsible for this! Lets not mess this one up guys!

Caveman Techie
04-08-2009, 11:43 AM
This is great news! I use the game threads alot while I'm at work and sometimes I just want to post a quick "Wow! did you see that play by <insert player name here>!"

NorrisHopper30
04-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks.

Fon Duc Tow
04-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I noticed this forum has a chat room that loads up quickly and seems to work great.

For game-time chat and updates, wouldn't that be a better medium than a thread you constantly need to refresh and scroll down to follow?

Kradokk
04-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Great news. Thanks!

Kingspoint
04-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Thank you, Boss.

LouisvilleCARDS
04-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Great move, its about time you appeased your members. I don't think breaking rules will be a problem. Reading some of the rants from the ORG members, you would think they never had a positive post in their life, so I surely don't think it would be any worse here.

Caveat Emperor
04-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Great move, its about time you appeased your members. I don't think breaking rules will be a problem. Reading some of the rants from the ORG members, you would think they never had a positive post in their life, so I surely don't think it would be any worse here.

There are so many areas of this post I want to address -- but I'll leave it just with this:

1. Knock it off.
2. Thank you for creating exactly the type of post I can use to display what we're NOT looking for in terms of game thread content.

Ghosts of 1990
04-08-2009, 05:40 PM
NT

redsfan1966
04-08-2009, 06:00 PM
This is great news---I actually am not a big user of the game thread during the game---I preferred chat or just to watch and comment after the game---but am glad that Sun Deckers have the option again...

JayBruceFan
04-08-2009, 06:18 PM
The majority of the people use the game thread as a sort of "instant feedback" or "chat thread" during the games -- most are already watching the game while they're posting on the thread.

Thanks for clarifying that for me

I never knew what they were for until now

Shawn_RedsFan
04-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Is the game televised tonite?? If so no pregame?? cavs are on right now....

Ghosts of 1990
04-08-2009, 07:01 PM
I was just coming here to ask that......... on my FOX SPORTS OHIO there is nothing here in CBUS

improbus
04-08-2009, 07:05 PM
It's on Time Warner 24 in Columbus.

Boss-Hog
04-08-2009, 07:10 PM
I noticed this forum has a chat room that loads up quickly and seems to work great.

For game-time chat and updates, wouldn't that be a better medium than a thread you constantly need to refresh and scroll down to follow?
In my opinion, yes, but there are numerous posters who enjoy game threads.

shredda2000
04-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks Boss for the return of game threads to the Sundeck :thumbup:

Captain Hook
04-10-2009, 01:57 PM
I was just coming here to ask that......... on my FOX SPORTS OHIO there is nothing here in CBUS

When ever the CBJ or Cavs are on FSN moves the Reds broadcast over to CSPAN(I think thats what it is).Sometimes I have to search a little but if you see that the reds are are supposed to be on(via there web site)then you should be able to find them.Good luck!

DannyB
04-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks Boss,Gik.

Rockermann
04-15-2009, 11:58 AM
I've been looking forward to increasing my participation here and this will be a great way. Couldn't do it last night (or tonight) as I'm lucky enough to be at the game (live in Milwaukee), but after that... I'm all in.

Thanks for this!

nukelaloosh
05-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Thank you for the addition of the game thread. For those of us that are Reds fans but live far away (So. California) we don't get to see that many live Reds games on TV, so I need a place to go to find out what is going on and how my favorite Reds players are doing. Since this is my initial post, I want to state that I am very happy to have found this web site, and I think that RedsZone.com is a wonderful idea. Thanks for having me !

PS- I used to attend Buffalo Bisons games as a kid, back when Buffalo was the top farm team for the Reds. Been a Reds fan ever since.