PDA

View Full Version : Is MLB.tv subject to blackout?

Nasty_Boy
04-08-2009, 11:41 AM
I was thinking about purchasing the 1 month package, but I don't want to do it if I'm not going to be able to watch the Reds. I didn't see anything about it on the website, but I could have overlooked something.

Any help would be appreciated!

Nasty_Boy
04-08-2009, 11:47 AM
I found my answer... this thread can be deleted if need be

Fon Duc Tow
04-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Is MLB.tv subject to blackout?

Boy are they!! :bang:

On my honeymoon last summer... First stop, the middle of Tennessee. Fire up the ole MLB.tv and watch the Reds game, right?

Wrong. Reds are blacked out in that area of Tennessee. :rolleyes:

(Me: But aren't the Braves closer to here? Shouldn't THEY be the team that is blacked out?
MLB Customer Service: Oh the Braves are blacked out there too.
Me: ... )

Onward on the honeymoon. Our next stop was Asheville NC. Time to queue up that Reds game, right?

Wrong. Reds are blacked out there too. :eek:

After talking to mlb.tv customer service, after being on hold for an hour, on my honeymoon I might add, I canceled mlb.tv.

Here is my advice to you and anyone else. Talk to that computer savvy guy/gal you know. I'm sorry I can't be less vague here but I want you to know there are options.

justintv for starters...

That's all I am going to say, other than I was MORE THAN happy to pay but since apparently my money isn't green to MLB.tv then so be it. Most of my traveling will be to the west coast this year. I would sign up for mlb.tv again, but the Reds are probably blacked out in Portland too... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thats ok though. I'll catch every game anyway.

Happy hunting.

GIDP
04-08-2009, 01:20 PM
I think the black out has to do with whre you signed up and the addresses attached to the account. If you travel I think you can get around that some how.

REDblooded
04-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Funny you asked, because I was just looking into subscribing myself....

Even if a game is blacked out, you can watch it archived 45 minutes after the game... Not ideal, but still a way you can watch the games..

Jerome
04-08-2009, 03:59 PM
The games are blacked out in the local fox sports tv region of the team you are playing against. I live in Boise, Idaho at the moment, which is Fox Sports Northwest. They carry Mariners games. So I won't see any Mariners games on mlb.tv. Lucky Me!!!

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

mlh1981
04-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Funny you asked, because I was just looking into subscribing myself....

Even if a game is blacked out, you can watch it archived 45 minutes after the game... Not ideal, but still a way you can watch the games..

That is a major relief.

I'm a Reds fan who is currently living in Pittsburgh. I won't be able to watch the games live on Friday and Saturday. I just assumed that I was screwed, because FSN Pittsburgh was carrying them around here. I'll just watch the archived versions.

Hey Meat
04-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Yes, I always get blacked out when they play the Astros. I live in Texas.

terry waters
04-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Boy are they!! :bang:

On my honeymoon last summer... First stop, the middle of Tennessee. Fire up the ole MLB.tv and watch the Reds game, right?

Wrong. Reds are blacked out in that area of Tennessee. :rolleyes:

(Me: But aren't the Braves closer to here? Shouldn't THEY be the team that is blacked out?
MLB Customer Service: Oh the Braves are blacked out there too.
Me: ... )

Onward on the honeymoon. Our next stop was Asheville NC. Time to queue up that Reds game, right?

Wrong. Reds are blacked out there too. :eek:

After talking to mlb.tv customer service, after being on hold for an hour, on my honeymoon I might add, I canceled mlb.tv.

Here is my advice to you and anyone else. Talk to that computer savvy guy/gal you know. I'm sorry I can't be less vague here but I want you to know there are options.

justintv for starters...

That's all I am going to say, other than I was MORE THAN happy to pay but since apparently my money isn't green to MLB.tv then so be it. Most of my traveling will be to the west coast this year. I would sign up for mlb.tv again, but the Reds are probably blacked out in Portland too... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thats ok though. I'll catch every game anyway.

Happy hunting.

You make your first two stops on your honeymoon and you decide to watch the Reds? What an understanding spouse ;)

Jefferson24
04-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Use a proxy server from China or somewhere far away. Works every time. It's a hassle but better than nothing.

NastyBoy
04-10-2009, 06:51 PM
They increased their system requirements again this year... now my 3 year old powerbook can not handle the streaming. :(

The proxy server solution worked last season.