PDA

View Full Version : The Masters

Razor Shines
04-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Anyone watching this? Campbell has a chance at the course record.

Tiger's having a rough time in ideal scoring conditions.

BuckeyeRed27
04-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Not watching but following online. Looks like Campbell went bogey bogey and will finished tied with Hunter Mahan at -7

Highlifeman21
04-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Ugh, anyone but Hunter Mahan....

SunDeck
04-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Lots of names up high on the leaderboard that I'm thinking will not be there by Saturday.

paintmered
04-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Ugh, anyone but Hunter Mahan....

Why?

Redhook
04-10-2009, 09:03 AM
I thought Tiger was swinging really well yesterday. He was flagging it on the back 9. Most of his iron shots were right on the pin. His distance was just a tad off a few times. If he got a couple of putts to drop it could've easily been in the mid-60's. He'll shoot in the 60's in each of the last 3 rounds and I wouldn't be surprised if he shoots really low (65ish) in one of the rounds if he gets it's going.

bucksfan2
04-10-2009, 09:44 AM
I thought Tiger was swinging really well yesterday. He was flagging it on the back 9. Most of his iron shots were right on the pin. His distance was just a tad off a few times. If he got a couple of putts to drop it could've easily been in the mid-60's. He'll shoot in the 60's in each of the last 3 rounds and I wouldn't be surprised if he shoots really low (65ish) in one of the rounds if he gets it's going.

His putter failed him yesterday. If he doesn't start to roll the ball a little better he isn't going to win.

Campbell left 2+ strokes out on the course. He could have/should have set the course record.

RawOwl UK
04-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Fuzzy Zoeller & Gary Players last ever Masters.

SunDeck
04-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Anybody liking Anthony Kim right now? I am.
I certainly can't see Campbell hanging on, but Perry knows how to win it. He's a different golfer now that he's found his putter.
Tiger? I wouldn't discount him, but he doesn't seem to be in sync at all.

I was at work checking in every once in a while, then I had to actually work for about an hour. When I came back, Mcilroy had disappeared. I kept scrolling down the leaderboard, wondering if I had kept missing his name. He was really playing well, makes a danged eagle on 13 and then he must of just fallen apart. What a meltdown.

And we're still waiting to hear what's wrong with Mahan, Highlifeman.

SunDeck
04-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Wow- it's getting even worse for Rory, facing a possible DQ.

Matt700wlw
04-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Here's an article questioning the sportsmanship of Tiger Woods

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12111710

Boston Red
04-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Nice round for Phil so far. If he plays well tomorrow, he's going to be right in the thick of things as well. Can he make it 10 top 10s in 11 years?

Hoosier Red
04-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Goodness, Phil must have caught fire on the back nine. I'm watching the replay and he's at +2 after 11, so he played the last 7 in -5?

How about AK, and Sandy Lyle, I'm not sure I've made 5 birdies in my life, never mind in a row.

Highlifeman21
04-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Why?

I dislike Mahan more than I dislike Phil Mickelson.

I had a bad run in with him last year at the Travelers Championship with him in the Hartford area.

Arrogant punk is the nicest thing I can say about him on this board.

-----

Also, this interview (http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/2008/08/he-presidents-c.html) he gave made me think even less of him (which I didn't think was possible after my experience with him @ the Travelers Championship

I love how he tried to cover his sorry butt in this interview (http://www.rydercup.com/2008/rydercup/2008/usa/09/16/mahan_interview_091608/index.html). Which is it, Hunter? Can't have your cake and eat it too...

improbus
04-11-2009, 10:01 AM
I don't watch golf (or any other sport) because they are nice guys or great sportsman. Sorry. I want to see drama and great shots. And honestly, if I was THAT good at something (aside from Super Tecmo Bowl of course, where I would OWN anyone on this board), I would be kind of an arrogant jerk too.

Highlifeman21
04-11-2009, 10:14 AM
I don't watch golf (or any other sport) because they are nice guys or great sportsman. Sorry. I want to see drama and great shots. And honestly, if I was THAT good at something (aside from Super Tecmo Bowl of course, where I would OWN anyone on this board), I would be kind of an arrogant jerk too.

IMO, blowing off charity appearances is bush league, and then offering the explanation of what equated to essentially "I didn't feel like showing up" is awesome.

His "slave" comment about the Ryder Cup still rubs me the wrong way, and probably will for awhile.

Hoosier Red
04-11-2009, 10:31 AM
I think Improbus was talking about the TW article Highlifeman.

While I don't watch any sport looking for the sportsmanship, I certainly appreciate it. It's kind of sad that I "appreciate" people who are at the bottom line polite.

improbus
04-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Sorry, I was talking more in a general sense. Blowing off charity events is not cool and I was not aware of that.

I'm not going to root for the Pol Pot of golf, but I'm not going to root against someone because they are a little salty. It is not their job to be nice guys. It is their job to hit great bunker shots.

Highlifeman21
04-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Sorry, I was talking more in a general sense. Blowing off charity events is not cool and I was not aware of that.

I'm not going to root for the Pol Pot of golf, but I'm not going to root against someone because they are a little salty. It is not their job to be nice guys. It is their job to hit great bunker shots.

Excellent Pot Pot reference!

BuckeyeRed27
04-11-2009, 02:52 PM
I love how he tried to cover his sorry butt in this interview (http://www.rydercup.com/2008/rydercup/2008/usa/09/16/mahan_interview_091608/index.html). Which is it, Hunter? Can't have your cake and eat it too...

You can't eat your cake and have it to...you can infact have your can and eat it too

Sorry pet peeve

Highlifeman21
04-11-2009, 05:55 PM
At this point, I wouldn't mind seeing a Sunday shootout between Perry and Campbell.

Angel Cabrera is close enough right now to make it interesting, but unless someone shoots 64 tomorrow, this is a 3 horse race.

Razor Shines
04-11-2009, 06:25 PM
I've got a couple questions about this Masters.

First is Kenny Perry trying to imitate Charles Barkely with his swing?

And second, why is Phil Mckelson wearing Shingo Katayama's shirts? I realize he's lost some weight, but he's still fat and no one needs to see that when they're trying to enjoy their weekend.

Razor Shines
04-11-2009, 06:42 PM
At this point, I wouldn't mind seeing a Sunday shootout between Perry and Campbell.

Angel Cabrera is close enough right now to make it interesting, but unless someone shoots 64 tomorrow, this is a 3 horse race.

Furyk to -9 now.

There is a good chance that Tiger and Phil will be playing together tomorrow.

SunDeck
04-11-2009, 08:28 PM
I like watching Kenny Perry- he swings like the rest of use.

Redhook
04-11-2009, 09:13 PM
I like watching Kenny Perry- he swings like the rest of use.

The thing is, his swing is great. Yes, he has a couple of hitches, but his shoulders turn so level it's ridiculous. The way he clears he has almost no chance of hitting the ball right.

SunDeck
04-11-2009, 09:31 PM
What I like about Perry's swing is that he is not coming out of his shoes like the younger guys, yet he's just as long. A couple years ago, I had a terrible sciatica flare up, so I found the only way to swing a club was to flatten out, a lot like he does. It was a fortunate discovery- I hit the ball much better that way.

Razor Shines
04-11-2009, 11:07 PM
The thing is, his swing is great. Yes, he has a couple of hitches, but his shoulders turn so level it's ridiculous. The way he clears he has almost no chance of hitting the ball right.

In slow motion it looks great, I just think it's funny to watch him hit in real time because he's got a little bit of jerkiness and I can't help but think of Barkley.

Highlifeman21
04-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Bold prediction:

Stricker, Sabbatini or Katayama win this thing.

Safe prediction:

Angel Cabrera adds another major to his resume.

I was really surprised how Chad Campbell rowed the boat home. Dude gave back 3 shots, although maybe him not playing with Kenny Perry on Sunday might be a good thing for the both of them.

Razor Shines
04-12-2009, 12:04 AM
Bold prediction:

Stricker, Sabbatini or Katayama win this thing.

Safe prediction:

Angel Cabrera adds another major to his resume.

I was really surprised how Chad Campbell rowed the boat home. Dude gave back 3 shots, although maybe him not playing with Kenny Perry on Sunday might be a good thing for the both of them.

I don't know, he finished bogey, bogey on Saturday too.

Tiger and Phil are paired together. I'd really like to see them both play well and possibly push each other to low numbers.

Jack Burton
04-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Tiger will win his first major after trailing through 54.

Redhook
04-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Tiger and Phil are paired together. I'd really like to see them both play well and possibly push each other to low numbers.

That would be cool, but I doubt it happens. They don't like each other very much and will probably try to hard today. It would be awesome if they both shot around 65 and put the heat on the other guys.

I think Cabrera wins. I would like to see Perry win, but I don't think his chipping will do him any good today. He's a bad chipper and that will cost him today.

Hopefully this tournament will come down to the wire. I'm looking forward to it.

Highlifeman21
04-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Tiger will win his first major after trailing through 54.

IIRC, Gary Player's the only guy to win with a 7 stroke gap, and he had to shoot 64 to do so.

Tiger's the best in the world and all, but today ain't his day.

Highlifeman21
04-12-2009, 09:49 AM
That would be cool, but I doubt it happens. They don't like each other very much and will probably try to hard today. It would be awesome if they both shot around 65 and put the heat on the other guys.

I think Cabrera wins. I would like to see Perry win, but I don't think his chipping will do him any good today. He's a bad chipper and that will cost him today.

Hopefully this tournament will come down to the wire. I'm looking forward to it.

Was it on 12 yesterday where Perry was long left on the par 3, and tried a putt bump and run, rammed it off the lip and ran it 15 feet by?

If he has more confidence in his chipping, or pulls a hybrid or his 3 metal out, I guarantee he doesn't ram that 15 feet by.

RawOwl UK
04-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Cabrera has looked the most focused of the field & I would put my money on him now to win it.

I still have a couple of E/W live bets left in Furyk & Westwood that were made at the start of the tournement.

MWM
04-12-2009, 11:49 AM
After Sundeck and Redhook's comments, I took a look at Perry's slow motion swing. It does look REALLY different, you don't really see any of the hitches. It looks good. He does keep his shoulders completly square.

And for those who like to watch slow motion golf swings (like I do), go to youtube and type in swingvision and tons of great slow-mo swings will come up. I discovered this a couple of weeks ago and am hooked. Here's Perry's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWRhg5ZfRM4

Redhook
04-12-2009, 01:34 PM
After Sundeck and Redhook's comments, I took a look at Perry's slow motion swing. It does look REALLY different, you don't really see any of the hitches. It looks good. He does keep his shoulders completly square.

And for those who like to watch slow motion golf swings (like I do), go to youtube and type in swingvision and tons of great slow-mo swings will come up. I discovered this a couple of weeks ago and am hooked. Here's Perry's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWRhg5ZfRM4

Thanks for sharing that. Good stuff.

Take notice of Perry's shirt at the finish. Virtually, no wrinkles. What that means is his arms and body are in total sync creating almost no stress on his body. There's no tilting or anything out of whack with his swing. His level turn allow his swing to be very consistent and very easy on his body.

MWM
04-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Phil - WOW!

That shot on 7 was just ridiculous. One of the best I've ever seen.

Now I doubt he'll be able to keep his emotions in check, but he's at least making it REALLY interesting right now.

Matt700wlw
04-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Watch out...Phil's making this very interesting! -9 now

Reds Fanatic
04-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Mickelson is on fire right now. He has birdied 5 of the first 7 holes and has went from 7 strokes back to 2 strokes back

Matt700wlw
04-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Eagle for Tiger! -7 now

Reds Fanatic
04-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Mickelson with another birdie at 8 to move to -10.

Redhook
04-12-2009, 04:32 PM
What an incredible hour and a half this has been. We haven't even started the back 9 and this tournament is rockin'. Wow, Phil, wow!

Matt700wlw
04-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Tiger and Phil. Wow! WOW.....Tiger just missed an Eagle. Tiger's 2 strokes off the lead with 3 to go. Phil missed a close range Eagle which would have tied him for the lead.

Matt700wlw
04-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Tiger....down 1...he continues to amaze me

icehole3
04-12-2009, 06:15 PM
there are some tight sphincters coming down the stretch, Tiger and Phil are just firing at the flags, amazing

MWM
04-12-2009, 06:24 PM
This has been unbelievable. But I think Perry's birdie on 12 should cinch things up.

Phil could have done something that would have been talked about for generations to come. He missed 2 three footers that probably kept it from happening. Ironic, isn't it. all the great shots, shotting at the stick and nailing it could all be for not because of putts inside 4 feet.

Matt700wlw
04-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Ouch. Bogey for Tiger. That about takes care of him, and now Phil can't putt....he misses another close range putt

Chip R
04-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Perry blows a two shot lead with two to play and we have a three way playoff.

joshnky
04-12-2009, 08:18 PM
What awful golf down the stretch from these guys. No one really deserves to win this thing.

SunDeck
04-12-2009, 08:34 PM
What awful golf down the stretch from these guys. No one really deserves to win this thing.

That's what playing to win the Masters does to a guy, I guess. Amazing that Cabrera ends up winning after that tee shot on the first playoff hole.

Cyclone792
04-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Angel Cabrera has a great style that I like Just walk up and swing! I don't think anybody could ever accuse him of slow play.

Highlifeman21
04-12-2009, 09:30 PM

Mattice vs Weir all over again.

Redhook
04-12-2009, 09:30 PM

Unfortunately, for Perry, I was right. He chipped it over the green on 17 and made bogey. And then chipped it way by on 18 and 10 in the playoff. Tough chips, but you could clearly see it was his weakness. It didn't come out until the end because he hit almost every green, but when his ball striking was off his short game cost him the win. Sad. I would've really liked to have seen him win.

Highlifeman21
04-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Angel Cabrera has a great style that I like Just walk up and swing! I don't think anybody could ever accuse him of slow play.

The most time he took to execute a shot all day was his 2nd shot on the 1st playoff hole.

MWM
04-12-2009, 09:58 PM
An aamazing Sunday watching the Masters, but I do feel a little let down in the end. I hate seeing these things lost rather than won.

George Foster
04-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Unfortunately, for Perry, I was right. He chipped it over the green on 17 and made bogey. And then chipped it way by on 18 and 10 in the playoff. Tough chips, but you could clearly see it was his weakness. It didn't come out until the end because he hit almost every green, but when his ball striking was off his short game cost him the win. Sad. I would've really liked to have seen him win.

I was really pulling for Perry. I hope his career is not remembered for the 96 PGA and 09 Masters. He deserves to win a major. He will have another shot at the PGA. I feel his game is not set up for the US Open or the British. He does not hit enough fareways for the US Open, and his chipping is not good enough for the British.

If you remember in 96, he was asked to come up to the booth after his round at Valhalla. He stayed way to long and should of been at the range. He said as much, after the fact.

A 2 shot lead with 2 to play....God that's hard to swallow. I really feel for him. I hope he shakes it off. You can make a good argument that he has been the most consistant golfer in the world the last 12 months.

Jack Burton
04-13-2009, 01:06 AM
I thought it was great entertainment as usual. Too bad for Perry, he seems like a good guy and probably did deserve to win, nerves must have got to him on the last two holes (regulation). Absolutely crazy that Cabrera won this after that opening drive in the playoffs.

MWM
04-13-2009, 01:18 AM
Perry's demeanor was pretty consistent all day long. He was calm and didn't seem too caught up in the moment. The first time I noticed it had changed was when he hit that unbelievable shot on #16 and just started walking and watching it. I think that's the moment when HE thought he'd won The Masters. I could be reading too much into it, but something about the look on his face after he hit that shot was different. It was the look of satifaction. He thought that was it. Heck, I even thought that was it. When he stuck that shot, I thought it was over.

paintmered
04-13-2009, 01:23 AM
Perry's demeanor was pretty consistent all day long. He was calm and didn't seem too caught up in the moment. The first time I noticed it had changed was when he hit that unbelievable shot on #16 and just started walking and watching it. I think that's the moment when HE thought he'd won The Masters. I could be reading too much into it, but something about the look on his face after he hit that shot was different. It was the look of satifaction. He thought that was it. Heck, I even thought that was it. When he stuck that shot, I thought it was over.

I thought it was over too. As soon as I picked my jaw off the floor after that shot, I thought that this is a shot that CBS will show time and again like Nicklaus's shot on 16 in 1986.

That hole (and that pin position specifically) lends itself to iconic moments on Sunday. This should have been another one. It's too bad that Kenny couldn't seal the deal. I was pulling for him all week. :(

Highlifeman21
04-13-2009, 08:30 AM
I was really pulling for Perry. I hope his career is not remembered for the 96 PGA and 09 Masters. He deserves to win a major. He will have another shot at the PGA. I feel his game is not set up for the US Open or the British. He does not hit enough fareways for the US Open, and his chipping is not good enough for the British.

If you remember in 96, he was asked to come up to the booth after his round at Valhalla. He stayed way to long and should of been at the range. He said as much, after the fact.

A 2 shot lead with 2 to play....God that's hard to swallow. I really feel for him. I hope he shakes it off. You can make a good argument that he has been the most consistant golfer in the world the last 12 months.

IIRC, Kenny Perry's actually not gone to a couple British Opens in years past due to the fact he knows his game isn't suited for those courses or conditions.

texasdave
04-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Congratulations to Angel Cabrera. Is it just me or is he the oldest looking 39-year old golfer in the world?

bucksfan2
04-13-2009, 10:00 AM
IIRC, Kenny Perry's actually not gone to a couple British Opens in years past due to the fact he knows his game isn't suited for those courses or conditions.

Last year he didn't go to the British Open because he wanted to quality for the Ryder Cup. He stated that as his goal for the 08 season and he felt the best way to get points was to play in the PGA event instead.

What few remember is Perry isn't a spring chicken. He is 48 years old. Im not saying its an excuse but after 72 holes of golf and 2 extra playoff holes it seemed like he started to wind down. If he would have held on to win he would have been the oldest ever major champion. Older than when Jack won the masters back in 86.

SunDeck
04-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Congratulations to Angel Cabrera. Is it just me or is he the oldest looking 39-year old golfer in the world?

I thought he was as old as Perry.

Boston Red
04-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Has there ever been a more disappointing 67 turned in at Augusta than the one Phil turned in yesterday? Easily could have been 63 and the type of place in golf lore that Phil has never enjoyed. 100 years from now CBS (or its successor) would still be doing half-hour tribute shows about that round.

MWM
04-13-2009, 10:47 AM
4 footers for Phil. That's what kills me. If he makes those on 15 and 17, all he needs is par on 18 and he probably plays it differently. That would have put him in the playoff.