PDA

View Full Version : Any Miami of Ohio folks around here?

M2
04-09-2009, 10:29 PM
If so, your college has made the finals of the NCAA college hockey tournament. As I type this, Boston University is up 2-0 on Vermont after the 1st period.

If that holds it sets up a real nice David vs. Goliath story for the final.

Redlegs82
04-09-2009, 10:41 PM
If so, your college has made the finals of the NCAA college hockey tournament. As I type this, Boston University is up 2-0 on Vermont after the 1st period.

If that holds it sets up a real nice David vs. Goliath story for the final.

Not a huge Hockey fan though my gf is taking me to a Redwing game in Detroit tomorrow, but I'm excited for MU in the Championship. I always enjoyed going to the games when I was an Undergrad.

Watching both games tonight.

redhawkfish
04-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Go RedHawks!!

M2
04-09-2009, 11:12 PM
I may have spoken too soon. UVM has come back with three goals in the 2nd to take the lead. It could be David vs. David in a slingshot war.

M2
04-09-2009, 11:13 PM
And now it's tied. Wild game.

Newport Red
04-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Ancient history. I'm a Redskin graduate.
Happy to see they are in the frozen four.

Boss-Hog
04-09-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm a Miami grad ('04) - very proud of them and hope them have one more win in them.

*BaseClogger*
04-09-2009, 11:34 PM
:beerme:

It's an excited campus... too bad no one will be here this weekend because of Easter... :(

*BaseClogger*
04-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Off topic, but does it frustrate anybody else that the school is always referred to as "Miami of Ohio." Like keeping 'Miami University' and 'University of Miami' straight is too difficult of a task? Maybe we can defeat Boston of Massachusetts on Saturday :rolleyes:... [/rant]

M2
04-10-2009, 12:14 AM
David vs. Goliath is back on.

BU vs. MU

Beware the fury of terriers unleashed. They've got ninja moves.

http://www.littlebeasts.com/assets/archive05/pod49.jpg

Boss-Hog
04-10-2009, 07:46 AM
David vs. Goliath is back on.

BU vs. MU

Beware the fury of terriers unleashed. They've got ninja moves.

http://www.littlebeasts.com/assets/archive05/pod49.jpg
I got a kick out of that - it's probably not a good omen for my Redhawks that I am close to getting a Boston Terrier (not to mention it seems like BU knocks us out of the hockey tournament every year).

Boss-Hog
04-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Off topic, but does it frustrate anybody else that the school is always referred to as "Miami of Ohio." Like keeping 'Miami University' and 'University of Miami' straight is too difficult of a task? Maybe we can defeat Boston of Massachusetts on Saturday :rolleyes:... [/rant]
Just tell people that Miami University should be referred to as "Miami" and "The U" should be "Miami (Fl.)" since we were founded first. ;)

Redhook
04-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Just tell people that Miami University should be referred to as "Miami" and "The U" should be "Miami (Fl.)" since we were founded first. ;)

MU grad here ('98).

Miami U. was a university before Florida was a state. Pretty amazing, but it's true.

Go Redskinhawks!

reds1869
04-10-2009, 09:12 AM
This doesn't come easy for someone with a Bachelor's from Marshall and a Master's from Xavier, but I'll say it anyway: Go Redhawks!

improbus
04-10-2009, 09:54 AM
As an OU grad, I will simply keep to myself....

M2
04-10-2009, 10:34 AM
(not to mention it seems like BU knocks us out of the hockey tournament every year).

Actually that's BC, which is BU's mortal enemy. It would be BU's luck for Miami to get regional payback for something BC did.

westofyou
04-10-2009, 11:20 AM
The wife went there prior to transferring to UCSC.. here's a shout out to Brunos Pizza!!

Anyway, the team they played Bemidji is dream team moment... too bad they lost, being a OU (albeit briefly) guy I could care less about Miami of Ohio.. a place that I always thought the best part of was that on the way there I would drive through the birthplace of Kennesaw Mountain Landis and the last time I went up there I saw this in Darrtown

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/images/grave_waltalston.jpg

A monument honoring Walter Alston

*BaseClogger*
04-10-2009, 01:59 PM
The wife went there prior to transferring to UCSC.. here's a shout out to Brunos Pizza!!

Yuck! :barf:

Boss-Hog
04-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Actually that's BC, which is BU's mortal enemy. It would be BU's luck for Miami to get regional payback for something BC did.
Thanks for clarifying. :)

Redhook
04-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Yuck! :barf:

I'll second that. It's the only bad pizza I've ever had in my entire life. It's unedible unless you're absolutely hammered. Even then, it's still pretty bad.

AtomicDumpling
04-11-2009, 03:50 AM
Miami grad here ('92) as well.

I loved Bruno's old-fashioned pizza. Back in my day it was $.50 a slice or $4 for a whole pizza. We went there a couple months ago and it was like $2 a slice.

Go Redhawks!

I noticed Miami is on page one of espn.com and the Washington Post but the Enquirer's coverage is pathetic as usual.

I used to have to travel to the northern USA and to Canada and the Frozen Four is the biggest event of the year to those winter-crazed people.

It is almost an accident for Miami to make the Frozen Four this year given that this was supposed to be a rebuilding year. Miami was ranked #1 in the nation last year and the year before but lost earlier in the tournament to eventual champion Boston College both times. Figures they would make the championship game this year as a #4 seed. :thumbup:

Stewie
04-11-2009, 12:22 PM
I'll second that. It's the only bad pizza I've ever had in my entire life. It's unedible unless you're absolutely hammered. Even then, it's still pretty bad.

I guess I'll third that. I was never a big fan of Bruno's myself, either -- sober or intoxicated. Personally, I much preferred Jimmy John's after a long night of drinkin'.

Off topic, but does it frustrate anybody else that the school is always referred to as "Miami of Ohio." Like keeping 'Miami University' and 'University of Miami' straight is too difficult of a task? Maybe we can defeat Boston of Massachusetts on Saturday ... [/rant]

I think I've gotten used to this after awhile, though I will say it was disappointing when I heard a reporter on the local news say "Miami of Ohio" earlier this week.

I graduated from Miami in '03, by the way

redhawkfish
04-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Game time!! Let's go RedHawks!

guttle11
04-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Miami goes up 2-1!

7:29 left in the game.

guttle11
04-11-2009, 10:21 PM
3-1 Miami! Great wrist shot off a BU turnover.

4:08 left

guttle11
04-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Disaster strikes...BU scores 2 goals in the last minute to tie. Looks like OT...

Chip R
04-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Yikes! :(

redhawkfish
04-11-2009, 10:38 PM
My youngest daughters just learned several new words!!:thumbdown

M2
04-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Terriers not only have ninja moves, they're ferocious as well.

http://www.littlebeasts.com/assets/archive07/pod20.jpg

This is one whale of a game. It's not quite N. Michigan vs. BU for the '91 title yet, but the drama quotient is heading into that territory.

guttle11
04-11-2009, 11:07 PM
BU wins 4-3 in overtime on a bit of a flukey goal. Slapshot from the top bounced off a Miami defender that was trying to block the shot, went high in the air, and into the goal. Reichart never saw it or had a chance.

Congrats to BU, what a comeback.

Congrats to Miami on a great, great run.

reds1869
04-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Well that'll do it. Great game by two fine teams.

Reds Freak
04-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Another on the growing list of Ohio sports heartbreakers...

M2
04-11-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm jubilant.

All the credit in the world to Miami. That's one tough team, especially in the neutral zone. I see why it was in the NCAA final. It gave what may the best BU team ever all it could handle.

Definitely a fluky goal for the win. Cohen's got the hardest shot of any BU defender and it came into play there. He hit it hard enough and high enough for it to keep heading toward the net.

M2
04-11-2009, 11:32 PM
One other thing to add. Miami is the first Ohio school in 25 years to make the NCAA final. The last was Bowling Green, which won in 1984, and was the only Ohio finalist in history until today.

Between this game and the Blue Jackets making the NHL playoffs, I'm hoping we're about to see an expansion of what counts for hockey country in the USA.

Heath
04-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Crap.

What a way to lose.

So, is this the type of streak that takes Enrico to another bigger school?

dabvu2498
04-12-2009, 01:10 AM
Crap. What a way to lose. So, is this the type of streak that takes Enrico to another bigger school? Don't know what top level pay is for college hockey coaches is but the local paper ran all Miami employee salaries. He is the highest paid coach at Miami. Over 300k iirc. Beautiful facility, chance to play at the highest level. I wonder what more he could want?

*BaseClogger*
04-12-2009, 03:22 AM
Crap.

What a way to lose.

So, is this the type of streak that takes Enrico to another bigger school?

:(

Rumor had it Michigan State was after him hard last offseason...

Redhook
04-12-2009, 09:11 AM
That was painful to watch. I usually don't watch hockey and wouldn't have tuned in if Miami wasn't playing, but that was a great game. I just wish Miami wasn't the team to throw it away. I still can't believe they gave up 2 goals in the final minute of a championship game. They couldn't do that again if they tried. Oh well....

M2
04-12-2009, 11:23 AM
:(

Rumor had it Michigan State was after him hard last offseason...

MSU has one of the winningest coaches of all time on the bench, one who delivered a national championship in 2007. I'm shocked to hear they were after another coach.

Joseph
04-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Heartbreaking way to lose. Less than a minute to a championship. Flashbacks to the 88 Bengals ran through my head as that happened.

*BaseClogger*
04-13-2009, 04:48 AM
MSU has one of the winningest coaches of all time on the bench, one who delivered a national championship in 2007. I'm shocked to hear they were after another coach.

I stand corrected, sir. I would expect nothing less, as you are the knowledgeable hockey follower and I am the bandwagon fan. That was just one of the things I heard from another student during the game; who knows where it came from.

I found this little excerpt on Enrico's bio at http://www.muredhawks.com/:

"It is our goal to win a national title," said Blasi. "We have the support of our institution and the community, and we feel like the future of Miami hockey has never been brighter."

Blasi's devotion to and belief in Miami hockey has turned all involved with the program into a family. A 1994 graduate of Miami University, Blasi took over the reins at his alma mater in 1999 as the youngest head coach in Division I college hockey, and has worked tirelessly ever since to make that family the strongest unit it can be. With the 2006 National Coach of the Year Award, three Central Collegiate Hockey Association Coach of the Year Awards and four trips to the NCAA Tournament under his belt in just nine seasons with the Red and White, Blasi's ideals of family and togetherness are paying big dividends in Oxford.

"I am committed to this program and the people involved with it," says Blasi. "We are all going to achieve more when we work together and that is evidenced by the team and individual success we have had in the last few years. We are in the business to not only develop quality hockey players but to develop student-athletes with great character."

It is Blasi's devotion to his alma mater, and his ability to motivate and get the most out of his players, both athletically and academically, that prompted Miami University Director of Athletics Brad Bates to ink Blasi to a contract extension in September 2007 through the 2016-17 season.

Dr. David Hodge, President of Miami University, saluted Blasi's loyalty to MU, saying, "We are excited that Coach Blasi has made such a long-term commitment to Miami University. He and his ice hockey teams have contributed greatly to our student body and fans for the past eight seasons, and we look forward to the exciting moments that they are certain to generate over the coming years. Coach Blasi takes great pride in being a Miamian, and we are equally proud that he has chosen to remain a part of Miami University's family."

Phil in BG
04-13-2009, 03:19 PM
One other thing to add. Miami is the first Ohio school in 25 years to make the NCAA final. The last was Bowling Green, which won in 1984, and was the only Ohio finalist in history until today.

Between this game and the Blue Jackets making the NHL playoffs, I'm hoping we're about to see an expansion of what counts for hockey country in the USA.

I remember that BG game very well. It took 5 overtimes for the BG win over Minnesota-Duluth 5-4. Unfortunately for Bowling Green, they have been spiraling down for years, to the point where they almost lost the sport this year due to cost cutting measures. They have only been given a one year reprieve, so let's hope it can be saved.

Ironically, the man that made the BG program out of a club hockey program, Jack Vivian, also helped start the program at Miami. He was also one of the founders of the CCHA. He has most recently been hired by BGSU to basically save Hockey there.

Congrats to Miami for the great season. They have a wonderful program and their trip to the championship game is well deserved. What a heartbreaker they have endured.

M2
04-13-2009, 04:15 PM
I remember that BG game very well. It took 5 overtimes for the BG win over Minnesota-Duluth 5-4. Unfortunately for Bowling Green, they have been spiraling down for years, to the point where they almost lost the sport this year due to cost cutting measures. They have only been given a one year reprieve, so let's hope it can be saved.

Ironically, the man that made the BG program out of a club hockey program, Jack Vivian, also helped start the program at Miami. He was also one of the founders of the CCHA. He has most recently been hired by BGSU to basically save Hockey there.

Congrats to Miami for the great season. They have a wonderful program and their trip to the championship game is well deserved. What a heartbreaker they have endured.

BG's a sad story. Jerry York, the winningest active coach in the NCAA and the current guru at BC, was on the BG bench during the school's heyday. BG had the first Hobey Baker winner in George McPhee. Rob Blake, Garry Galley, Dave Ellet, Paul Ysebaert, Nelson Emerson, Ken Klee, Greg De Vries and Brian Holzinger all played for BG during the York years. In fact, it was a bit of defenseman factory.

It's nice to see Miami looking to fill the void BG left and it's nice to hear that BG is making moves to get its program back into gear.