PDA

View Full Version : How long until Dusty Baker is on the hot seat?

Jim Fazio
04-11-2009, 06:57 PM
What kind of start do you think gets Baker fired? I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone after this opening road trip. Tommorrow could be his last home game. One could only wish. And take the whole staff with you.

GIDP
04-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Id say they have to play like .300 baseball to get him fired.

mroby85
04-11-2009, 07:23 PM
He won't be fired imo, he's getting paid a lot of money, and if anyone gets fired, it should be the guy who didn't bring in a right hand bat that they said they needed before the offseason even started, not Dusty.

Maldez
04-11-2009, 07:26 PM
The Reds are 1-3 and you're talking about somebody getting fired already?

GoGoWhiteSox
04-11-2009, 07:45 PM
It's going to take more than a 1-3 start to get Dusty Baker fired. It's going to take more than just a losing season to get Dusty fired, too.

CesarGeronimo
04-11-2009, 07:57 PM
What's really going to put the pressure on the Reds, in my opinion, is just how bad attendance will be if they get off to a poor start. They will get the smallest "crowds" in many, many years and that will turn up the heat from a budget and a PR perspective.

Jim Fazio
04-11-2009, 08:19 PM
I liked Mackanin, wonder if he would be considered when Baker gets let go.

Captain Hook
04-11-2009, 08:29 PM
I liked Mackanin, wonder if he would be considered when Baker gets let go.

Is that old dude still alive?

Chris Sabowned
04-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Pete Mackanin is the Phillies bench coach.

This is a dumb thread. Dusy is not going anywhere, at least this year.

Ghosts of 1990
04-11-2009, 10:32 PM
I think he is here through the year no matter what..... but if we honestly fall below expectations and take a step back (from last year's awful performance) then he should be let go and we should bring in a younger guy who fits the talent on the roster.

Natty Redlocks
04-11-2009, 11:17 PM
He'll abuse the pitching staff, give the most ABs to his worst hitters, then say injuries are the reason the team underperformed. Get used to it.

Roush's socks
04-11-2009, 11:27 PM
The Reds need a young coach who can develop players. That said, I don't think Dusty's going anywhere soon. He doesn't impress me much. He's the kind of coach who can win with a lot of talent around him. He's not a micro-manager or a "deep thinker."

Jack Burton
04-12-2009, 12:14 AM
It's hard to get excited about this team with the current coaching staff, that's for sure. What's the earliest a manager has been fired during the season? Maybe dusty can make a push at that record.

Fon Duc Tow
04-12-2009, 12:32 AM
It's hard to get excited about this team with the current coaching staff, that's for sure. What's the earliest a manager has been fired during the season? Maybe dusty can make a push at that record.

Tony Perez was fired after 40 games I think.

Slyder
04-12-2009, 02:18 AM
He'll abuse the pitching staff, give the most ABs to his worst hitters, then say injuries are the reason the team underperformed. Get used to it.

Or the quote from last year about it not being "his team" although they probably let him do most of the shopping for this rag tag group.

mroby85
04-12-2009, 03:43 AM
Tony Perez was fired after 40 games I think.

He definitely won't push at that record. Simply because Tony Perez wasn't a 3 time manager of the year, making 3 million dollars per season. (3 or 4, i think 3)

Eric_the_Red
04-12-2009, 08:28 AM
I can't wait until Dusty goes and everyone has a new manager to pile on. I'm not saying Dusty is the greatest, but yeesh, some people act like he drove over their dog.

Compared to some recent Reds managers (Knight, Boone, Miley, Narron) I don't think Dusty is all that bad. Winning cures everything. Have a winning team, and nobody complains about the manager.

I say give Dusty this season and a few months into next to see how he does. If the team is not progressing, then it is time to let him go.

Newman4
04-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Pete Rose for manager. I thought I'd be the first to say it lol. As far as Dusty "shopping" for this team, he must have went to Big Lots with nothing more than a few food stamps because all he bought was Tavares and Rhodes. The team is underequipped and has a few potentially bad contracts (Arroyo, Tavares,Lincoln) if folks don't start performing.

GIDP
04-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Id say the next manager is gonna be a former red of some sort. We have a bunch of guys to pick from since the new ownership actually cares to realize the Reds actually have some good history.

Nasty_Boy
04-12-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't think he's going anywhere this season... I want nothing more than to see Dusty go, but he has a lot of money still to come his way and for some reason Big Bob seems to love him. He's just a terrible manager that doesn't have a place in baseball, but he talks a good game.

FlyerFanatic
04-12-2009, 01:36 PM
I can't wait until Dusty goes and everyone has a new manager to pile on. I'm not saying Dusty is the greatest, but yeesh, some people act like he drove over their dog.

Compared to some recent Reds managers (Knight, Boone, Miley, Narron) I don't think Dusty is all that bad. Winning cures everything. Have a winning team, and nobody complains about the manager.

I say give Dusty this season and a few months into next to see how he does. If the team is not progressing, then it is time to let him go.

i dont think hes all that bad...but hes isnt suited for a team this young. you gotta have a guy who will light a fire under them and get on them for mistakes. i really doubt dusty got in bruces face for that baserunning error at the end of the game. who cares if we were down 9 runs, its inexcusable. need someone to get on them for that type of stuff. dusty isnt going to do that

reds2221
04-12-2009, 02:17 PM
The reds have not been a .500 ball club in many years so I really doubt that Dusty would be fired at all this year no matter what happens.

Mr.MojoRisin
04-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Pete Rose for manager. I thought I'd be the first to say it lol.

Amen.

gedred69
04-12-2009, 09:01 PM
For cryin' out loud! The season is hardly started, and this is what people think of!?!? I personally like Dusty a lot as a person, but yes, I do have some reservations about how well he fits this team. If the current personnel isn't the best, it's not his fault, the GM makes the deals and the mgr. has to make do with what he's given. Let's give it till late May.

He got it!
04-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Dusty is not going any where during the season no matter what.

If the Reds lose 90 or more games then I think there is a possibility he is gone in the off season. That is the best you Dusty haters have to hope for imo.

Question: Why do people assume that a young team needs a young energetic manager as opposed to an older manager? Does an older veteran team need an older manager? To me one has nothing to do with the other.

Concerning FlyerFanatic's post regarding Baker not getting in Bruce's face following the base running error Saturday night - Marty and Dusty talked about on the pre game spot on WLW. Before Baker could call in Jay to talk to him about it, Jay came to Dusty and apologized for the error. Nice to see that from Jay, and also nice to see that Dusty was going to address it with him and not let it go.

I am setting the over/under at 32 for fire Dusty Baker threads this season.

Slyder
04-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Dusty is not going any where during the season no matter what.

If the Reds lose 90 or more games then I think there is a possibility he is gone in the off season. That is the best you Dusty haters have to hope for imo.

Question: Why do people assume that a young team needs a young energetic manager as opposed to an older manager? Does an older veteran team need an older manager? To me one has nothing to do with the other.

Duhhsty is out of his element, his best years were with SF when they had some old farts like Bonds, Aurilia, Kent, etc were all 28-29 or older and pretty much established and his bench was made up of guys like Shawon Dunston, Eric Davis, Andres Gallaragha and pens with Rob Nen and Tim Worrell at the back end of games. He's out of his element, I dont care the whole young/old debate because some of the people I know that "relate" are older than my parents. I want someone who can help EE, Bruce, Votto, Phillips, etc grow and so far (yes I know its early) besides Votto havent seen them "grow" yet.

Kingspoint
04-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Zero games because the REDS will win 87 games this year.

Captain Hook
04-14-2009, 12:53 AM
Dusty seems to be making the right moves.

Phillips bating 4th still is a little frustrating.BP seems to be holding his own so far.

I think the offense has shown good patients and have had success because of it.That has to be coaching.

Bullpen has be used perfectly with the 1 exception Sat. when Lincoln was allowed the continue long enough to give up the grand slam.Even that can be understood.