PDA

View Full Version : Zachary Cozart

flash
04-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Does anyone know anything about this kid. He showed improvement at Dayton last year, skipped Sarasota and is now doing well at AA. Seems like a decent fielder for short also. Not to many errors.

Is he on anyone's charts as the Reds future shortstop?

medford
04-13-2009, 05:28 PM
The original word on Cozart that he was a pretty good defender w/ a very shaky bat. I saw him play 1x last year at Dayton, and while he didn't have any chances to "flash" his defense, I was very impressed with his stick. Hit the ball very solid 3 of the 4 at bats I saw, with a pretty good idea of what to do w/ the bat (ie hit the ball the other way to move a runner over, etc...) It was around that same time that people (ie redzoners) started taking note of his bat as well. Seems like the scouts are coming around as well on his bat.

From what I saw the 1x, and what I've read, I think he's got a solid shot to make the majors, and if his bat is legit, he could be a very solid starter at SS, or a valuable trading chip.

dougdirt
04-13-2009, 06:19 PM
When Cozart was drafted, his bat was extremely questionable. He made some adjustments last season with his swing and actually showed some good skills with the bat. His walk rate was still a little bit low, but hitting the ball seemed to be going well. This year he is off to a strong start, but even more impressive if you ask me is his 4 walks and 2 K's. If he can continue to just control the strikezone, he will be good. His glove is ready for the majors today. His bat is still a question mark, but its made large improvements since he was drafted. His bat may be the most important in the system because if it can play in the majors, his glove fills a giant hole for the Reds that no one else in the system can really handle.

Sea Ray
04-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Doug, how does his defense compare with Janish'?

dougdirt
04-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Doug, how does his defense compare with Janish'?

Better range, lesser arm (but still good).

Benihana
04-14-2009, 11:17 PM
He's my sleeper pick for breakout minor leaguer. If he hits in Sarasota, we may have something nice on our hands...

dougdirt
04-14-2009, 11:20 PM
He's my sleeper pick for breakout minor leaguer. If he hits in Sarasota, we may have something nice on our hands...

If he hits in Sarasota we really will.... thats a long way to Carolina where he is playing at ;)

Benihana
04-15-2009, 12:07 AM
If he hits in Sarasota we really will.... thats a long way to Carolina where he is playing at ;)

Ha, sorry, that's what I meant. :beerme:

redhawk61
04-15-2009, 12:27 AM

So on the 20-80 scale for power, where would that put him, scratching 65?;)

OnBaseMachine
04-15-2009, 12:37 AM
Cozart had another big night tonight as he went 3-for-5 with a double, home run, and 3 RBI. Through 29 plate appearances, Cozart is hitting .440/.517/.640 - 1.157 OPS with 4 BB/4 K. Obviously he's won't continue hitting at that pace, but if he can OPS around .800, he could be a very good player. His defense is that good.

Superdude
04-15-2009, 01:35 AM
Cozart is hitting .440/.517/.640 - 1.157 OPS with 4 BB/4 K. Obviously he's won't continue hitting at that pace

Ten bucks says he finishes the season with that exact line. ;)

OnBaseMachine
04-15-2009, 01:37 AM
Ten bucks says he finishes the season with that exact line. ;)

Only ten bucks? Come on. Make it a 100 and you have a deal. :D

Joseph
04-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Let's bring him up.

Ok, maybe not yet, but I like moving guys from AA to the show if they flash serious talent. We need a SS, so later in the year maybe just maybe it could and should be a consideration.

Rojo
04-29-2009, 12:39 AM
I like moving guys from AA to the show if they flash serious talent.

Or if the big club flashes serious need.

mbgrayson
06-30-2009, 02:12 AM
Paul Cozart "Managers rated him the best fielding shortstop in the Midwest League in 2008..." Through June 28th, Cozart is hitting very well at Carolina in AA ball, .287/.371/.454 for an OPS of .825. Not bad at all for a kid who skipped High A ball.

GOYA
06-30-2009, 02:56 AM
Cozart is the guy I most want to see from Carolina. More than Frazier. More than Wood.

Benihana
06-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Cozart is the guy I most want to see from Carolina. More than Frazier. More than Wood.

I would guess he stays in Carolina until at least August, when Valaika might get a cup of coffee. Still, he's quickly becoming one of the best prospects in the system.

Sea Ray
06-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Paul Cozart "Managers rated him the best fielding shortstop in the Midwest League in 2008..." Through June 28th, Cozart is hitting very well at Carolina in AA ball, .287/.371/.454 for an OPS of .825. Not bad at all for a kid who skipped High A ball.

Does he also go by "Paul"?

Blitz Dorsey
06-30-2009, 08:19 PM
This kid just keeps getting better and might be the Reds' SS of the future. The glove was always there apparently, and the stick started to catch up last year at Dayton. Frankly, after skipping high-A and going straight to AA, I'm somewhat (and pleasantly) surprised that he's doing so well this year. He is one of those guys that I am keeping tabs on almost every night.

BTW, he hasn't gone by "Zachary" since the third grade I think. Ha! Just busting chops. But seriously, he just goes by "Zach."

11larkin11
06-30-2009, 10:28 PM
This kid just keeps getting better and might be the Reds' SS of the future. The glove was always there apparently, and the stick started to catch up last year at Dayton. Frankly, after skipping high-A and going straight to AA, I'm somewhat (and pleasantly) surprised that he's doing so well this year. He is one of those guys that I am keeping tabs on almost every night.

BTW, he hasn't gone by "Zachary" since the third grade I think. Ha! Just busting chops. But seriously, he just goes by "Zach."

He's gone on a weird path. Skipped rookie ball, went straight to Low A. Then, repeated Low A. Then skipped High A and went to AA. You wonder if he could skip AAA and go straight to the majors

_Sir_Charles_
06-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Does he also go by "Paul"?

Maybe that was a quote from his dad? Just guessing. He goes by Zach though.

texasdave
07-01-2009, 09:16 AM
He goes by both Paul and Zach. In fact, Paul Simon wrote a song about him. I think the lyrics went something like this:

Keep your eye on the ball, Paul.
When at-bat just attack, Zach.

I forget the rest. Catchy little tune though.

Anybody else know the rest?

Scrap Irony
07-01-2009, 11:46 AM
It's called 50 Ways to Use the Lumber.

camisadelgolf
07-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Actually, he goes by Zack--not Zach.

texasdave
07-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Actually, he goes by Zack--not Zach.

The song remains the same.

GOYA
07-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Better range, lesser arm (but still good).

How much better range? He must be quick as a scalded cat if he gets to more balls than Janish.

dougdirt
07-02-2009, 12:04 AM
How much better range? He must be quick as a scalded cat if he gets to more balls than Janish.

Not a ton more range, but I do think overall its slightly better. Janish's biggest defensive asset is his arm. His glove and range are good, but his arm allows him to make some plays others might not because of how strong it is.