PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Volquez for Hamiltion right now?

Fon Duc Tow
04-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Be honest.

GIDP
04-14-2009, 06:38 PM
No

Trace's Daddy
04-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Yes

DTCromer
04-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Nope.

reds1869
04-14-2009, 06:56 PM
No. Hamilton is wonderful, but a starting pitcher of Volquez's potential is hard to come by.

Jefferson24
04-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Yes. We should have resigned Kyle Lohse and kept Hamilton.

Shawn_RedsFan
04-14-2009, 07:02 PM
2 starts, look at how CC started las year, nuff said

DTCromer
04-14-2009, 07:07 PM
I understand Hamilton is more important over the whole season, but Edinson is a guy that carries a team in the playoffs. . . . assuming he works himself out.

CarolinaRedleg
04-14-2009, 07:16 PM
No. You can't have enough quality pitching, and in Great American Smallpark, if you can make contact, the offense will take care of itself.

bgwilly31
04-14-2009, 07:21 PM
omg dude you stole my thunder. I was this close to starting this exact thread. Except with a bit more meaning behind and also a poll.

But figured i better wait until later in the season with a bigger sample size of how EV is going to turn out this year.

I take the trade back RIGHT NOW> after his two starts he still hasnt blown away all of his worth.

Whats funny is, now we need hitting and the rangers need pitching. My how the tables have turned.

bgwilly31
04-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Also interesting. If you look at the old polls about this subject it would be a landslide for the NO catagory.

Looks like people are beginning to see the light a bit. Its currently 50/50

laxtonto
04-14-2009, 07:35 PM
I am not sure Texas remakes the deal, much less even considers to.

Hamilton makes that lineup for Texas. With his eventual move to the corner OF, and their wealth CF prospects but lack of COF prospects, I see no reason for them to remake this deal.

I like EV, but I have always thought his lack of control and HR tendencies will keep him as a mid to back of the rotation guy. Texas has a large stockpile of guys that look to peak as a #3. They like everyone else need #1 and #2 guys. EV is not that guy.

Why would they deal the best power/average combination in their lineup for a piece they already have?

Eric_the_Red
04-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Basically the trade would be Hamilton & Bailey every fifth day, or Dickerson/Hairston/Taveras and Volquez every fifth day.

At this point, I'll take option B and keep EV.

mlh1981
04-14-2009, 08:57 PM
No. Volquez needs time to work through his issues. He's young and still learning. Good pitching is hard to come by.

bubbachunk
04-14-2009, 08:58 PM
No I still would not

xavr1
04-14-2009, 09:09 PM
I hate making snap judgments based on his two starts, but with our influx of starting pitching, we need a power stick in the lineup more than an adequate starter.

That said, you can NEVER have too much pitching and i go back and forth on who I would rather have. I just love Hamilton, so I am always biased in his favor. Volquez has some growing up to do on the mound.

BurgervilleBuck
04-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Are we going to have this poll EVERY season?:rolleyes:

ChatterRed
04-15-2009, 01:56 AM
I'm probably the most negative about Volquez, and I still would not trade him for Hamilton. Our starting pitching is the best it's been in forever.

Harang nearly won 2 games to date and Arroyo won tonight's game. I think the veterans are setting the tone for the young'ins.

I think Cueto and Volquez will fall in line soon.

Ghosts of 1990
04-15-2009, 07:33 AM
I will say this: I'm SHOCKED by the result. 29 NO, 24 YES

reds1869
04-15-2009, 07:43 AM
Of course we could always do what I did on MLB 09 The Show: trade Taveras and Cordero for Hamilton and Francisco. Yeah, they'd go for that. :D

BLEEDS
04-15-2009, 08:24 AM
I'm probably the most negative about Volquez, and I still would not trade him for Hamilton. Our starting pitching is the best it's been in forever.

Harang nearly won 2 games to date and Arroyo won tonight's game. I think the veterans are setting the tone for the young'ins.

I think Cueto and Volquez will fall in line soon.

I had wanted to post, prior to the season, that Harang and Arroyo would best Volquez and Cueto this year - but it had nothing to do with "bad" versions of Volquez and Cueto that we've seen so far.

IMO, the best thing that could happen for us, is that Harang and Arroyo bounce back this year, and Volquez and Cueto find happy middle grounds - you knew Volquez had to regress a bit, and you hope Cueto took a baby-step forward - that way all this "Trade Arroyo, Trade Harang" nonsense could stop, and we head into 2010 with a RiDONKulous starting 4, and hopefully we make that one move - perhaps even we do it after the ASB this year - that pushes us from a DarkHorse to a Real Contender.

Could we use a Josh Hamilton right now - sure! But I wouldn't give up 190 innings of potential TOR talent, even if it doesn't show up in full until 2010, for him right now. We're not close enough on the offensive and defensive side to make a real push this year - without this current mirage of OBP from Tavares and BP holding up over 155 games, which it is very unlikely to.

We are going to have to seriously Upgrade our offense at SS and LF if we're going to make a serious push.
IMO, Dickerson, EE, and AGON/Hairston/TBD are going to have to have a caged death-match over the course of this year, with one survivor and the others getting serious upgrades by 2010.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

freestyle55
04-15-2009, 08:33 AM
I hate making snap judgments based on his two starts, but with our influx of starting pitching, we need a power stick in the lineup more than an adequate starter.

That said, you can NEVER have too much pitching and i go back and forth on who I would rather have. I just love Hamilton, so I am always biased in his favor. Volquez has some growing up to do on the mound.

Influx of starting pitching? We had 5 1/2 capable starters coming out of ST, 2 of whom haven't looked very good yet, 1 who has yet to pitch, and the other who hasn't looked great in the minors...

Give Volquez a chance...it's 2 starts people...Hamilton's gone, he's not coming back...

Rockermann
04-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Maybe we can work out a deal with Texas. Make the trade now for the first half and then trade back for the second half (or the other way around). That way we can have both our cake and eat it too. :)

I wonder if that would be against some MLB rule?

Z-Fly
04-15-2009, 12:11 PM
I would do it over and over and over again.

Kingspoint
04-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Pitching and Defense wins Championships.

Let me know next time the Rangers are in the World Series.

mroby85
04-15-2009, 06:47 PM
I would, but I also said I wouldve last year when Volquez was pitching well. It has nothing to do with his first two starts.

Redlegs
04-15-2009, 07:03 PM
I liked Josh Hamilton and I wish they'd have kept him. With that said, I don't think anyone should ever be untouchable. In a general sense, I say you don't trade Edinson, but if the right deal came along.......see ya on down the road, Jack.

Kingspoint
04-15-2009, 07:34 PM
It's so much easier to score runs than it is to prevent them from scoring.

keeganbrick
04-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Maybe, if Hamilton was right handed..........

LetsGoReds11
04-15-2009, 07:45 PM
NO NO NO NO....Haven't some of you learned that pitching gets you somewhere...Do we want to go down the route again of hitting and all offense....It didn't take us anywhere before....WHY? try it again!!! 2 starts and some of you are panicking about Volquez....He will be just fine

Kingspoint
04-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Exactly.....

We've given up just one run so far on this roadtrip.

It's Micah's turn to shine. He's been waiting two years for this moment. He never got the chance to pitch for us last season.

We have our #1 Defense on the field tonight, I think, for the first time all season.

Eric_the_Red
04-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Volquez
2-1, 6.46 ERA, 1.96 WHIP, 15.1 IP, 15 K, 13 BB

Hamilton
.229 BA, .637 OPS, 48 AB, 1 HR, 8 RBI, 6 R, 12 K, 3 BB

Just to update this thread. Looks like a fair trade to me. ;)

swaisuc
04-20-2009, 11:20 AM
I would've traded Volquez for Hamilton at every single point since that trade and it has nothing to do with these first 3 starts. IMO, Hamilton is going to be an all-star every single year. Volquez might be a very good pitcher. Ironically, Hamilton is the sure thing here.

RedLakerFan24
04-20-2009, 11:31 AM
No but Bailey, Frazier + Alonso for Hamilton i would, We need pitching more than hitting, its easier to win a game when we are down 2-0 than when we are down 9-5

Captain Hook
04-20-2009, 11:37 AM
No.I hated the trade at the time that it happened.Wish we would have traded Dunn or Griffey or even both.I still hate the trade but I'd rather have Volquez.

Ghosts of 1990
04-20-2009, 12:18 PM
No.I hated the trade at the time that it happened.Wish we would have traded Dunn or Griffey or even both.I still hate the trade but I'd rather have Volquez.

I've said the same thing but the truth of the matter is that Texas didn't want either guy or both for Volquez.

GIDP
04-20-2009, 04:16 PM
No but Bailey, Frazier + Alonso for Hamilton i would, We need pitching more than hitting, its easier to win a game when we are down 2-0 than when we are down 9-5

You are insane if you are willing to trade two of the top 50 or so prospects in baseball and a 22 year old pitcher who was once ranked as the top 1 or 2 pitching prospects in baseball for a 27 year old former drug addict, and i only bring that up to highlight what his body has been through not that he might relapse, who only has a .808 OPS away from Texas and GABP.

Jim Fazio
04-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Yes. I hated the trade then and still do. Why would the Reds trade a pitcher who will get maybe 30-35 starts and have good stuff for maybe 20-25 of those compared with a talent like Hamilton who will put up huge numbers and play in 150+ games. Makes no sence to me. U nless you were getting back a Sabathia or Santana like pitcher for Hamilton.

Captain Hook
04-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Yes. I hated the trade then and still do. Why would the Reds trade a pitcher who will get maybe 30-35 starts and have good stuff for maybe 20-25 of those compared with a talent like Hamilton who will put up huge numbers and play in 150+ games. Makes no sence to me. U nless you were getting back a Sabathia or Santana like pitcher for Hamilton.

At the time of the trade Volquez was basically unknown to me and hadn't had any success at the major league level.We all know what Hamilton did his 1 season in Cincinnati.Seemed like a bad move at the time.If I knew Volquez was actually capable of doing what he did last year I would have reluctantly made the deal anyway.Still would.

roby
04-21-2009, 09:25 AM
I wish a million times they would ahve traded Dunn plus for Edinson, but I'll keep the young/good pitcher, thanks.

GIDP
04-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Now only if Texas wanted Dunn. How many more people are going to struggle to understand this.

Captain Hook
04-21-2009, 01:48 PM
I understand.Just wish that is how it would have went.I'd imagine this team as a whole would look a lot different if it did.Either way I'm a lot happier now that we have a good rotation instead of a overloaded outfield.

Carolina Red
04-21-2009, 08:17 PM
YES! We should have gotten a #1 starter for a talent like Hamilton. Volquez is a #3 or 4 major league starter.

Eric_the_Red
04-21-2009, 09:06 PM
YES! We should have gotten a #1 starter for a talent like Hamilton. Volquez is a #3 or 4 major league starter.

I can count on one hand the players that would net a true ace in a trade (think Pujols level).