vs. Chiefs
1:00 PM
Sun. Jan. 03
at Jets
1:00 PM

Reds Fanatic
04-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Here is a link to the entire NFL schedule for 2009:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/static/html/schedules/2009/pdf/regular-season.pdf

DTCromer
04-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Bengals go 8-8 or worse on an incredibly weak schedule aside from the 4 games vs Bmore/Pitt.

camisadelgolf
04-14-2009, 08:08 PM
That's a lot of 1:00 games. The Bengals seem to do better when the pressure is off their shoulders, so maybe it could help them get into the playoffs this season.

Mario-Rijo
04-14-2009, 08:36 PM
I swear it seems like everytime we play the stinking Raiders and Chargers we have to play out west.

Eric_the_Red
04-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Ah, no prime time games for our Bengals....at least they can stink in anonymity. Nothing worse than watching your team get pounded on nationally televised games.

And with NFL parity being what it is, plus the fact that the draft hasn't happened yet, any speculation on their record based on schedule seems rather silly. That said, 6-10.

WVRed
04-14-2009, 11:41 PM
I'm predicting 6-10 with Marvin out the door at the end of the season.

Denver, Houston, Oakland, Cleveland (at PBS), Detroit, and KC are about the only likely wins.

Playadlc
04-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Love getting the Steelers at home in week 3.

The Bengals need to win this game badly. A win here could catapult them the rest of the way.

icehole3
04-15-2009, 05:39 AM
after a quick glance, Im gonna say 6-10 and thats if the defense holds up, with Chad stinking things up our best weapon will be Graham.

Redhook
04-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Personally, I like all the 1:00 games. Bengals football to me means Sunday afternoon games. I seem lost when they play at a different time. The Monday night games kill me because I can barely stay awake til halftime. I despise the 9:00 start times.

I'm thinking it's going to be a 9-7 season.

Phil in BG
04-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Boy, no love here at all. There are many reasons for us to expect a much better season. The defense finished strong and ended as the #12 defense in the league. It will only be better with Tank in the middle. The young players on defense are another year older and we should expect more from them. Carson Palmer is back. He is 100% and this offense will be dramatically better. They will find a way, by moving linemen around and through the draft, to protect Carson. The receiving core, even without TJ, is probably better than last year due to seasoning and by adding Coles. Henry's talents will be used with Carson back.
I will be conservative and say 10-6. The losses will come from within the division and on the west coast. Believe me, they are better than you think.

Eric_the_Red
04-15-2009, 11:42 AM
I don't understand the optimismistic thinking that the organization will suddenly realize the o-line is important and heavily invest there, when the past has clearly shown the organization doesn't consider OL a priority. How exactly are they going to protect Carson? I think this team is more than 1 draft away from moving from 4 wins to 10.

Phil in BG
04-15-2009, 11:57 AM
I don't understand the optimismistic thinking that the organization will suddenly realize the o-line is important and heavily invest there, when the past has clearly shown the organization doesn't consider OL a priority. How exactly are they going to protect Carson? I think this team is more than 1 draft away from moving from 4 wins to 10.

I don't think this organization has tried to neglect the offensive line at all. In 2005 they had one of the best offensive lines in the NFL. Since then a number of things have happened that are beyond their control....namely untimely injuries. Sure, they could have planned better for the demise of Willie and Levi, but it truly appeared they had good and capable replacements that so far haven't worked out. I believe they will draft an OL in the first round that will certainly help. If they are able to move Whit effectively and work in Collins adequately, it will also help. But to say they don't consider the offensive line a priority is flat out wrong.

redsfanmia
04-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Personally, I like all the 1:00 games. Bengals football to me means Sunday afternoon games. I seem lost when they play at a different time. The Monday night games kill me because I can barely stay awake til halftime. I despise the 9:00 start times.

I'm thinking it's going to be a 9-7 season.

Football should be played at 1:00 pm and 4:00 pm and one Monday night game. I am a Colts fan and I hate the fact that I have to stay up until midnight to catch the end of 4 or 5 games a year. I have to get up at 4 am so my day is shot when they play late, I hate it.

schmidty622
04-15-2009, 12:26 PM
vs. Broncos - L
at Packers - L
vs. Steelers - L
at Browns - W
at Ravens - L
vs. Texans - L
vs. Bears - L
BYE
vs. Ravens - L
at Steelers - L
at Raiders - W
vs. Browns - L
vs. Lions - W
at Vikings - L
at Chargers - L
vs. Chiefs - W
at Jets - L

4-12.

Phil in BG
04-15-2009, 12:43 PM
vs. Broncos - L
at Packers - L
vs. Steelers - L
at Browns - W
at Ravens - L
vs. Texans - L
vs. Bears - L
BYE
vs. Ravens - L
at Steelers - L
at Raiders - W
vs. Browns - L
vs. Lions - W
at Vikings - L
at Chargers - L
vs. Chiefs - W
at Jets - L

4-12.

How can you possibly be this pessimistic? Let's just look at the first game which is a home game. Denver doesn't even have a quarterback and they have the 29th ranked defense from last year. Do you have any reasons for this much pessimism? And you see the Bengals winning only one division game? You peg them for a worse record than last year with a healthy Carson Palmer and a considerably easier schedule this year?

Eric_the_Red
04-15-2009, 12:43 PM
I don't think this organization has tried to neglect the offensive line at all. In 2005 they had one of the best offensive lines in the NFL. Since then a number of things have happened that are beyond their control....namely untimely injuries. Sure, they could have planned better for the demise of Willie and Levi, but it truly appeared they had good and capable replacements that so far haven't worked out. I believe they will draft an OL in the first round that will certainly help. If they are able to move Whit effectively and work in Collins adequately, it will also help. But to say they don't consider the offensive line a priority is flat out wrong.

Just judging from past observations. Before '05 the team stunk and so did the OL. I think '05 was a culmination of career years, some good players and good timing. Since then the team has once again began their slide to mediocrity or worse, along with the OL.

The team let Steinbach walk rather than pay him, and they cut Willie due to his salary.

They have only drafted an OL player in the first three rounds once since 2003. In that same span they have drafted 2 RBs in the first 3 rounds and 3 WRs.

Since the 2004 draft, the Bengals have drafted a total of 43 players. Of those draft picks only 6 were at a OL position. (They have drafted 8 WRs in that same time!) How does that show they consider OL a priority?

schmidty622
04-15-2009, 01:11 PM
How can you possibly be this pessimistic? Let's just look at the first game which is a home game. Denver doesn't even have a quarterback and they have the 29th ranked defense from last year. Do you have any reasons for this much pessimism? And you see the Bengals winning only one division game? You peg them for a worse record than last year with a healthy Carson Palmer and a considerably easier schedule this year?

What can I say? I just don't like the current makeup of the team. There are no play makers outside of Carson on either side of the ball. The online is still dreadful. Benson is not the answer. CJ is old and not very good. Coles is the same way. Your starting MLB is still Dhani Jones, and who knows who plays strongside. Rivers is coming off of a injury. We still have two overpaid and under performing DE's. A CB that just got a DUI and one that is constantly hurt. And poor coverage safties.

From what I see right now, the only strengths on this team are as follows:

1. Carson Palmer

Phil in BG
04-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Just judging from past observations. Before '05 the team stunk and so did the OL. I think '05 was a culmination of career years, some good players and good timing. Since then the team has once again began their slide to mediocrity or worse, along with the OL.

The team let Steinbach walk rather than pay him, and they cut Willie due to his salary.

They have only drafted an OL player in the first three rounds once since 2003. In that same span they have drafted 2 RBs in the first 3 rounds and 3 WRs.

Since the 2004 draft, the Bengals have drafted a total of 43 players. Of those draft picks only 6 were at a OL position. (They have drafted 8 WRs in that same time!) How does that show they consider OL a priority?

They let Steinbach walk because they wouldn't pay him what HE thought he was worth. They cut Willie because he didn't want to accept a back up role as well as the salary issue for being a back up to Stacy Andrews (their franchise player.)

Their draft history certainly hasn't been the best. They have had some bad decisions along with a lot of bad luck (Pollack, Irons.) They have had to draft multiple receivers due to some of these decisions.

Regardless of all this. I am not saying it has always been a priority. I am saying it is now a priority and will be addressed through the draft and by using the current personnel in different ways.

I know I'm being optimistic. Do you feel you're taking the pessismistic viewpoint? Just wondering.

Phil in BG
04-15-2009, 01:20 PM
What can I say? I just don't like the current makeup of the team. There are no play makers outside of Carson on either side of the ball. The online is still dreadful. Benson is not the answer. CJ is old and not very good. Coles is the same way. Your starting MLB is still Dhani Jones, and who knows who plays strongside. Rivers is coming off of a injury. We still have two overpaid and under performing DE's. A CB that just got a DUI and one that is constantly hurt. And poor coverage safties.

From what I see right now, the only strengths on this team are as follows:

1. Carson Palmer

I understand all you are saying. I just really believe this team is not in as dire straits as you paint it to be. I guess neither of us will know until it's played out. I for one hope I'm right.

schmidty622
04-15-2009, 01:22 PM
I understand all you are saying. I just really believe this team is not in as dire straits as you paint it to be. I guess neither of us will know until it's played out. I for one hope I'm right.

I for one, PRAY, your right!

Phil in BG
04-15-2009, 01:28 PM
I for one, PRAY, your right!

You are a true fan my friend!! It sure would be nice for something to happen that we could be proud of with this team.

Eric_the_Red
04-15-2009, 02:21 PM
They let Steinbach walk because they wouldn't pay him what HE thought he was worth. They cut Willie because he didn't want to accept a back up role as well as the salary issue for being a back up to Stacy Andrews (their franchise player.)

Their draft history certainly hasn't been the best. They have had some bad decisions along with a lot of bad luck (Pollack, Irons.) They have had to draft multiple receivers due to some of these decisions.

Regardless of all this. I am not saying it has always been a priority. I am saying it is now a priority and will be addressed through the draft and by using the current personnel in different ways.

I know I'm being optimistic. Do you feel you're taking the pessismistic viewpoint? Just wondering.

I think Steinbach has proved that he is worth what he apparently thought he was worth.

When did Willie say he wouldn't accept a back-up role? That was a salary dump if there ever was one.

Bad luck at the draft stems from bad scouting (read: no scouting or GM). And "bad luck" doesn't apply to OL players that were never drafted.

And what information/facts are you basing your statement that OL "is now a priority and will be addressed through the draft"? Do you know who the Bengals are going to draft? And even if they take a OL in the 1st round, that doesn't show it is a priority. They need to draft 2-3 OL, IMO.

And, no, I don't think I'm being pessimistic. I'm basing my opinions on what the organization has shown in the past. Being aware of facts, even disappointing ones, doesn't make me a pessimist.

BTW, I am a HUGE Bengals fan and want nothing more than their success. I just do not think it will ever happen as long as Mike Brown is calling the shots.

Hoosier Red
04-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Letting Steinbach go wasn't about the O-line not being a priority, they just valued Levi Jones over Steinbach.
They also valued Stacy Andrews over Willie. Not many teams disagree.

Going through all the mock drafts, I saw one where the Bengals get Monroe in the first round and Unger in the 2nd. If that happens I think the Bengals can go to the playoffs this year.

Redsfaithful
04-15-2009, 04:57 PM
I think it'd probably be smart to wait until the draft to make any predictions. As it stands right now I think the Bengals have had a pretty good offseason. All they really need to do to make it outstanding is to find a center and maybe another offensive lineman. I wouldn't mind seeing a good, experienced fullback brought in too.

Also, I think people are sleeping on Anthony Collins a little bit. If he is really as decent as he looked last year then the Bengals aren't nearly as bad off as they seem on the line. Losing Stacy Andrews isn't that big of a deal. Whitworth, Williams, Collins, new center, Levi Jones, high draft pick. That could be a decent enough rotation.

People are also forgetting how much better Carson Palmer makes the team. Yeah, they struggled with him at the beginning of last season, but that was with no running game due to Chris Perry getting all the carries. They also played some really good teams when he was healthy, losing to playoff teams Baltimore, Tennessee, New York Giants, and a decent non-playoff team in Dallas. And they were pretty close in three of those four games, despite no running game.

They'll be a lot better this year. Whether that'll be good enough to make the playoffs or do anything in the playoffs is debatable, but they'll be pretty improved.

BearcatShane
04-15-2009, 05:04 PM
I have a feeling it'll be a decent year. 9-7 or 10-6. If Carson can stay healthy they'll be at least medicore.

Eric_the_Red
04-15-2009, 05:05 PM
I don't think Cedric Benson's 3.5 YPC is going to strike fear into the hearts of the opposition. With the Bengals runnign game (or lack thereof) other teams can key on the pass, neutralizing Palmer.

CTA513
04-15-2009, 06:09 PM
I don't think Cedric Benson's 3.5 YPC is going to strike fear into the hearts of the opposition. With the Bengals runnign game (or lack thereof) other teams can key on the pass, neutralizing Palmer.

Ghiaciuc and Andrews being off the team should help improve the running game.
I just hope they use a pick early to draft one of the good centers.

Mario-Rijo
04-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Boy, no love here at all. There are many reasons for us to expect a much better season. The defense finished strong and ended as the #12 defense in the league. It will only be better with Tank in the middle. The young players on defense are another year older and we should expect more from them. Carson Palmer is back. He is 100% and this offense will be dramatically better. They will find a way, by moving linemen around and through the draft, to protect Carson. The receiving core, even without TJ, is probably better than last year due to seasoning and by adding Coles. Henry's talents will be used with Carson back.
I will be conservative and say 10-6. The losses will come from within the division and on the west coast. Believe me, they are better than you think.

I agree Phil but this is the Bengals fan base we are talking about. Injuries could again derail us as it has the last couple of seasons but short of that I see plenty about this team then and now to be positive about.

icehole3
04-15-2009, 06:28 PM
In the words of Dennis Green, "they are what we thought they were." 6-10 because I dont trust Brat, the OL, and Ocho Psycho.

vs. Broncos - W
at Packers - L
vs. Steelers - L
at Browns - L
at Ravens - L
vs. Texans - L
vs. Bears - W
BYE
vs. Ravens - W
at Steelers - L
at Raiders - L (oak only chance at a win)
vs. Browns - W
vs. Lions - W
at Vikings - L
at Chargers - L
vs. Chiefs - W
at Jets - L

schmidty622
04-15-2009, 06:35 PM

Yup 'cus they sure did a lot to replace those two. Warm bodies are better than empty holes anyday.

Mario-Rijo
04-15-2009, 06:40 PM
vs. Broncos - W
at Packers - L
vs. Steelers - L
at Browns - W
at Ravens - L
vs. Texans - W
vs. Bears - L
BYE
vs. Ravens - W
at Steelers - L
at Raiders - W
vs. Browns - W
vs. Lions - W
at Vikings - W
at Chargers - L
vs. Chiefs - W
at Jets - W

10-6

CTA513
04-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Yup 'cus they sure did a lot to replace those two. Warm bodies are better than empty holes anyday.

If warm bodies is what you want then those guys have already been replaced.

Redsfaithful
04-15-2009, 11:38 PM

This is a bit disingenuous of course, because one would think Benson would improve with defenses having to respect the pass a bit more vs. Carson Palmer than they did with Ryan Fitzpatrick.

macro
04-15-2009, 11:57 PM
vs. Broncos - W
at Packers - L
vs. Steelers - L
at Browns - W
at Ravens - L
vs. Texans - W
vs. Bears - L
BYE
vs. Ravens - W
at Steelers - L
at Raiders - W
vs. Browns - W
vs. Lions - W
at Vikings - W
at Chargers - L
vs. Chiefs - W
at Jets - W

10-6

I agree with all of those except for the wins you're giving them at Raiders (I don't think they've ever won at Raiders), at Vikings, and at Jets. After a 6-6 start, they lose three of last four to go 7-9. If they get Chad off the roster, I'll give them 9-7.

icehole3
04-16-2009, 05:40 AM
I agree with all of those except for the wins you're giving them at Raiders (I don't think they've ever won at Raiders), at Vikings, and at Jets. After a 6-6 start, they lose three of last four to go 7-9. If they get Chad off the roster, I'll give them 9-7.

I agree, theyve always lost out on the Left coast and by the time the Bengals show up Oakland will be 0 and whatever the whole city will be geared up wanting that first win.

UKFlounder
04-16-2009, 07:20 AM
Who is replacing Ghiaciuc & Andrews? If replacing last year's starters with last year's backups is the way they're going, is that an upgrade? If it is, why didn't they play the backups last year?

If they're going to rely on the draft and add a rookie at either center and/or tackle, that can be quite risky too, though I think they have to get at least 1 young lineman in hear in the first round or two.

Newport Red
04-16-2009, 10:59 PM
I'll say 5-11 just because they will play some teams that have had their seasons completely derailed like Cleveland and Kansas City last year.

As I see it, 2/5ths of the offensive line will be 2009 draft picks.

These are the Bengals. Even if they pick a tackle at pick #6, they won't sign him until just before the 4th preseason game. He'll have a press conference and he'll stand on the sidelines for the final preseason game. He'll get inadequate instruction because the coaching staff is focusing on the upcoming opponent. They'll have to start him against Pittsburgh because he's the #6 pick and it's Pittsburgh.

In lieu of flowers, Palmer's widow would ask you make a donation to xxx charity.

Redsfaithful
04-16-2009, 11:39 PM
I think right now Anthony Collins replaces Andrews, and he did start at left tackle towards the end of last season. They are going to have to grab a center in the draft or free agency, unless they are high on the two guys they have now, both are younger.

icehole3
04-17-2009, 05:48 AM
I'll say 5-11 just because they will play some teams that have had their seasons completely derailed like Cleveland and Kansas City last year.

As I see it, 2/5ths of the offensive line will be 2009 draft picks.

These are the Bengals. Even if they pick a tackle at pick #6, they won't sign him until just before the 4th preseason game. He'll have a press conference and he'll stand on the sidelines for the final preseason game. He'll get inadequate instruction because the coaching staff is focusing on the upcoming opponent. They'll have to start him against Pittsburgh because he's the #6 pick and it's Pittsburgh.

In lieu of flowers, Palmer's widow would ask you make a donation to xxx charity.

thats all Ive been saying all off season, we could draft JSmith and Monroe and by the time they show up it'll be game one and we'll be throwing them in the fire untested, thats how Mikey operates, this year we get the added pleasure of going through a Marvin Lewis when will he get fired week to week watch, that will be fun, I expect the team to quit early on maybe by week 3.

Phil in BG
04-17-2009, 11:39 AM
thats all Ive been saying all off season, we could draft JSmith and Monroe and by the time they show up it'll be game one and we'll be throwing them in the fire untested, thats how Mikey operates, this year we get the added pleasure of going through a Marvin Lewis when will he get fired week to week watch, that will be fun, I expect the team to quit early on maybe by week 3.

I really think you will be surprised if this is truly what you believe. All we hear from the new players such as Tank and Coles is how well prepared and how eager this team is. Carson has a great attitude and is really excited about this season. Zimmer has had another year to improve the defense. They have so far this off season addressed needs. Sure, the OL still needs some major attention, but they aren't done yet. They never quit last year when virtually all their fans did. So, how can we quit right now before the season even starts?

Eric_the_Red
04-17-2009, 01:47 PM
I really think you will be surprised if this is truly what you believe. All we hear from the new players such as Tank and Coles is how well prepared and how eager this team is. Carson has a great attitude and is really excited about this season. Zimmer has had another year to improve the defense. They have so far this off season addressed needs. Sure, the OL still needs some major attention, but they aren't done yet. They never quit last year when virtually all their fans did. So, how can we quit right now before the season even starts?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me for 20 years......

icehole3
04-17-2009, 03:50 PM
They never quit last year when virtually all their fans did. So, how can we quit right now before the season even starts?

10-17 L at BAL
7-24 L TEN
23-26 L at NYG
12-20 L CLE
22-31 L at DAL
14-26 L at NYJ
10-38 L PIT
6-35 L at HOU
21-19 W JAC
13-13 T PHI
10-27 L at PIT
3-34 L BAL
3-35 L at IND
20-13 W WAS
14-0 W at CLE
16-6 W KC

there was some games you could say they quit, for some reason they have trouble getting out of the starting gate, there are numerous reasons for why it happens, but it happens

KoryMac5
04-23-2009, 07:57 PM
I reserve judgement on the upcoming season until Saturday. The Bengals have quite a few holes and if they pick like most of us think they will it is going to be a loooong season.