PDA

View Full Version : Bailey Ejected from Bats game

namichael
04-14-2009, 09:34 PM
From Fay's blog

"Posted by JohnFay at 4/14/2009 7:57 PM EDT
Homer Bailey was taken out of his start in Louisville after 2 2/3 innings. He had allowed three runs (two earned) on thiree hits. He was at 53 pitches.

Update: Just saw he was ejected by the home plate ump after a hit-by-pitch."

This guy just can't get a break.

goreds2
04-14-2009, 10:33 PM
OUCH!

schmidty622
04-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Dye would have looked awful nice between Votto and Bruce...;)

wojo1025
04-15-2009, 12:30 AM
Bailey was really getting squeezed by the home plate ump, gave up two LONG home runs and then NAILED a guy in between the numbers. He was clearly rattled tonight. Sad to see really.

JBChance
04-15-2009, 01:02 AM
I suppose he wasn't exactly enthralled with going to AAA. Someone needs to get his head screwed on straight, and fast.

Where's Susan Sarandon?

ChatterRed
04-15-2009, 02:54 AM
When he does get it going, find a trade partner and get some good return. He is a headcase, not worth it.

redsfanmia
04-15-2009, 07:11 AM
I suppose he wasn't exactly enthralled with going to AAA. Someone needs to get his head screwed on straight, and fast.

Where's Susan Sarandon?

The Reds told him to get in better shape, change his attitude, and come to camp and earn a spot. He did all of these things and they still sent him down. I would be bent if I was him.

davereds24
04-15-2009, 07:45 AM
obviously he didn't change his attitude

Ghosts of 1990
04-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Dye would have looked awful nice between Votto and Bruce...;)

Bailey should be up here. We don't need Dye.

BLEEDS
04-15-2009, 09:10 AM

Seriously. I'd rather have him out of the pen. The way Volquez and Cueto are pitching right now, we are going to be burning through our pen early and often.

Who would you rather have being the "long man" out of the pen - Lincoln or Homer?

IMO, that might be the best route for him. He's "been there, done that" in AAA, and it probably peeves him off, messes with his head, attitude, etc...
Let him get "exposed" to ML hitters from the pen, limit his exposure, build his confidence, etc... It worked for Joba Chamberlain and tons of other starters from yesteryear.

You're worried about him logging innings/building his stamina? Pitch him in winter ball, let him go to the WBC, whatever. I'm sure he'll get the occasional start too as needed.

I don't think giving him the ball every 5th day in AAA is doing him any good at this point. Whatever the reason, who cares. Time to get him on the right path.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

dunner13
04-15-2009, 09:17 AM
bailey gave up two runs then nailed a guy.....bring him up, we need some of that attitude up here. Someone called him a head case for plunking a guy?????????????? I guess that would make nolan ryan a lunatic.....

Ghosts of 1990
04-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Seriously. I'd rather have him out of the pen. The way Volquez and Cueto are pitching right now, we are going to be burning through our pen early and often.

Who would you rather have being the "long man" out of the pen - Lincoln or Homer?

IMO, that might be the best route for him. He's "been there, done that" in AAA, and it probably peeves him off, messes with his head, attitude, etc...
Let him get "exposed" to ML hitters from the pen, limit his exposure, build his confidence, etc... It worked for Joba Chamberlain and tons of other starters from yesteryear.

You're worried about him logging innings/building his stamina? Pitch him in winter ball, let him go to the WBC, whatever. I'm sure he'll get the occasional start too as needed.

I don't think giving him the ball every 5th day in AAA is doing him any good at this point. Whatever the reason, who cares. Time to get him on the right path.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I think Owings will prove to be a long man type in his career if we could fast forward ten years. He is going to be like a Ron Villone from the right side (just my 2 cents). I think Bailey should be in the 5th spot and Owings should be in long relief. I know they are high on Lincoln and his breaking ball..... but someone in that pen shouldn't be there...... and Owings should be out there and Bailey in the rotation.

I think we're seeing what the demotion did to Bailey. He may have found something special this spring that would have changed his career and fortunes for us.... now that he's sent down he may never find it again. All for what? Who are we protecting? Arroyo? Lincoln? They won't be here in 3 or 5 years..... ya know?

schmidty622
04-15-2009, 09:44 AM
He must not have found something all that special because from all accounts he is being exposed again in AAA.

Eric_the_Red
04-15-2009, 09:51 AM

Homer's AAA numbers:
31 G, 10-10 record, 4.13 era, 1.371 WHIP

I would argue that he's been there but hasn't yet "done that". He is too inconsistent and he is still young. He has plenty of time to finish maturing and learn how to pitch. He only turns 23 next month. Another year progressing in the minors won't hurt any.

Newman4
04-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Homer really needs to prove the Reds wrong for not keeping him after this spring. If his start at AAA is fueled by sour grapes then he needs to mature a bit anyways. All that will do is keep him where he doesn't want to be. Some needs to have the ol' "you're better than that" talk with Homie.

flash
04-15-2009, 11:19 AM
His strike zone was squeezed, so the batters were digging in. He decided to flip one. Sounds like Drysdale or Gibson. Except it is 2009 and he gets ejected. I have no problem with it. Get another Ump. No, better Kill the Umpire.

redsfanmia
04-15-2009, 11:46 AM
His strike zone was squeezed, so the batters were digging in. He decided to flip one. Sounds like Drysdale or Gibson. Except it is 2009 and he gets ejected. I have no problem with it. Get another Ump. No, better Kill the Umpire.

I like it. Mario Soto pitched like that and lets face it the Reds have not had a guy with fire in a long time. When was the last time the Reds had a real fight?

BLEEDS
04-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Homer's AAA numbers:
31 G, 10-10 record, 4.13 era, 1.371 WHIP

I would argue that he's been there but hasn't yet "done that". He is too inconsistent and he is still young. He has plenty of time to finish maturing and learn how to pitch. He only turns 23 next month. Another year progressing in the minors won't hurt any.

He lit it up in 2007 (3.07 ERA, 1.2 WHIP, then after getting the late season call-up - bad decision IMO - he went back and forth between the two, and struggled.

I say keep him in one place, period, for the year. IMO, that should be in the 2009 Reds pen.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

fugowitribe
04-15-2009, 02:38 PM
obviously he didn't change his attitude

You're right, but do you really want him too? Take a look back at some of the great pitchers of all time, Nolan Ryan, Clemens, etc. do you think for a minute that they would hesitate to put a message in the middle of someones back at 95 MPH? Look at the other night for instance, Beckett throws over Abreu's head and then Burnett gave someone a little chin music. Two great pitchers giving the message that they are proud of what they do and proud of the team they represent. It is a contreverisial part of baseball, but IMO I want a guy that has it instead of being a softy.

I understand Homer wasn't mentally stable during his ups and downs during his major to minor transactions, but a guy with a little fire is a good thing, As long as he throws strikes. I really want a guy to get upset when he gets sent down. It shows that he cares.

DTCromer
04-15-2009, 02:52 PM
His strike zone was being squeezed and the wind was blowing out. Those are the 2 excuses I've heard from his 2 starts.

Someone look at the other pitcher's ERA in those 2 games. My guess is that it's Bob Gibson-esque.

schmidty622
04-15-2009, 03:01 PM
His strike zone was being squeezed and the wind was blowing out. Those are the 2 excuses I've heard from his 2 starts.

Someone look at the other pitcher's ERA in those 2 games. My guess is that it's Bob Gibson-esque.

Good question. I would like to see those numbers.

ChatterRed
04-16-2009, 09:56 AM

Bailey at triple AAA:

2 starts
0-2
11.25 e.r.a.
8 IP
12 hits allowed
10 earned runs
5 HR's allowed
4 walks
8 K's
2.00 WHIP

Can we now dispense with the Homer Bailey should've been the 5th starter talk?????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????? :rolleyes:

schmidty622
04-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Bailey at triple AAA:

2 starts
0-2
11.25 e.r.a.
8 IP
12 hits allowed
10 earned runs
5 HR's allowed
4 walks
8 K's
2.00 WHIP

Can we now dispense with the Homer Bailey should've been the 5th starter talk?????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????? :rolleyes:

But his confidence was hurt!!!

Seriously, he should have gone down and dominated and he would have nothing to worry about. He will be a major league starter one day. Maybe that time will come with the Reds maybe it won't but he certainly hasn't helped himself.

Captain Hook
04-16-2009, 05:36 PM
The bottom line imo is that its a lot better that Bailey is sucking it up in AAA then doing it on the big league roster.I know some will say that he would be doing better if he was playing for the Reds.I can't and I won't ever understand that kind of thinking.What is that based on?I believe that its safe to say that the Mets, Brewers and even Pirates have better hitters then the minor league bats he has been facing so far.If you want to blame it on his attitude then thats fine.But if that is the case then he either needs to grow up or be traded for what ever we can still get for him.This is baseball.Threre is no crying in baseball!!!