PDA

View Full Version : Laynce Nix

BigJohn
04-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Don't you think he has earned a shot at LF?

Ohioballplayer
04-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Based on 6 At bats, no, but you never know!

xavr1
04-15-2009, 01:56 PM
I love his potential. For whatever reason, I am always confident he's gonna drive the ball when he steps to the plate.

schmidty622
04-15-2009, 01:58 PM
I just like his name.

If you squint really hard while looking at the TV, he kinda looks like Josh Hamilton.

BigJohn
04-15-2009, 01:59 PM
without the tats, of course!

bgwilly31
04-15-2009, 04:34 PM
His plate appearances havent looked all that great.

But the double last night was big and i think earned him some more Pinch hit situations.

But starting LF. over Hairston Jr. I dont think thats right.

Now i might be more inclined to sit gonzo and hairston at SS. Than plateu nix and dickerson in LF.

Eric_the_Red
04-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Hairston at SS on a regular basis?! :eek:

OesterPoster
04-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Give him a spot start in CF against a righty, with Dickerson in LF and Bruce in RF.

Dickerson - lead off
Votto - 3rd
Bruce - 5th
Nix - 7th

OesterPoster
04-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Well, it's not tonight. From Fay:

Reds (standard v. RHP):

Willy Taveras cf

Chris Dickerson lf

Joey Votto 1b

Brandon Phillips 2b

Jay Bruce rf

Edwin Encarnacion 3b

Ramon Hernandez c

Alex Gonzalez ss

Micah Owings p

Bumstead
04-15-2009, 05:49 PM
I think the Reds should be looking to improve the spot that Layne Nix is taking. Like say: Geoff Jenkins or trading for Josh Willingham (assuming he is available and that WAS would eat part of his salary). That would allow Hairston to fill in at other positions and would improve our team overall.

Bum

bgwilly31
04-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Hairston at SS on a regular basis?! :eek:

And thats supposed to be EYE popping worse than starting gonzo there right now>?

I think not.

Nasty_Boy
04-15-2009, 06:18 PM
He's earned more of a shot at RF than LF. The 2 guys playing LF have done a pretty decent job, Bruce has shown flashes but he's really struggled thus far. All in all, I think Nix is fine where he is but the occassional start wouldn't hurt.

Shawn_RedsFan
04-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Based on 6 At bats, no, but you never know!

I am not saying you are one of the people on here that like to judge people on small sample sizes but if Jay Bruce is a flop we might as well replace him with with Nix. Maybe that will make the few people that think this happy.

Captain Hook
04-16-2009, 12:53 AM
I certainly do not think that Nix should be an everyday guy.I do like having him on the team though.I haven't seen enough of him to make a accurate judgment yet but he does seem to drive the ball well.Maybe he can prove himself to be a regular in time.If appearances count for anything he's got a good start.The guys looks like a beast.

nmculbreth
04-16-2009, 01:11 AM
In a word, no.

Nix is a nice guy to have coming off of the bench but I don't see where he would possibly fit in as a starter. Like Bruce and Dickerson, he is a lefty which limits any platoon possibilities and I can't see him starting him over either. I suppose we could see a Nix, Dickerson, Bruce OF against a tough right hand pitcher but otherwise he looks like a pinch hitter / spot starter to me.

JBChance
04-16-2009, 01:22 AM
And thats supposed to be EYE popping worse than starting gonzo there right now>?

I think not.

Defensively? absolutely. Hairston is EYE poppingly bad in the field at SS.

Eric_the_Red
04-16-2009, 09:30 AM
^ That was my point. Any upgrade in offense would immediately be offset by the defensive downgrade.

BigJohn
04-16-2009, 09:41 AM
not what folks said about Dunn or say about EE!!!!!!!!!!

Eric_the_Red
04-16-2009, 09:50 AM
I don't say that about EE for the opposite reason. Their isn't a player on the roster to put at third who has the defense to overcome the reduction of offense over EE.

Bumstead
04-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Have to agree with Eric The Red, if the offensive addition significantly outweighs the defensive liability, then you have to go with it. Anyone the Reds put at 3B to replace EE in the lineup would significantly reduce the offense that EE provides and the same could have been (and probably was) said about Dunn in past years. Now, 2 weeks from now and Gonzo is still sporting that .100 batting average and if the Reds think Valaika can handle SS, then I say maybe it's worth a shot. Janish fulltime...I'll pass; he's fine as a utility guy but that is all he is going to be.

Bum

BigJohn
04-16-2009, 10:49 AM
EE's OPS is so high because they are pitching around him. Move him to 2nd or 3rd and see what happens.

He is hitting .167 right now BTW!

Eric_the_Red
04-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Who cares why his OPS is so high? It's just high- enjoy it!

BigJohn
04-16-2009, 12:11 PM
He hasn't scored a run because of that! Not 1. The one he scored he hit a HR.

BigJohn
04-16-2009, 12:21 PM
sorry double post

bgwilly31
04-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Defensively? absolutely. Hairston is EYE poppingly bad in the field at SS.

hrmmm really. Than explain how and why the reds had a much better record last year when HAIRSTON WAS A STARTER AT SS!

Eric_the_Red
04-16-2009, 12:54 PM
hrmmm really. Than explain how and why the reds had a much better record last year when HAIRSTON WAS A STARTER AT SS!

Well, you can't argue with that logic.

:rolleyes:

I suppose it has nothing to do with the pitching performances, offense/defense production from the rest of the team and performance of the opposition in those games. Nope, it was Hairston's glove at SS. I can't believe the organization has missed that.

bgwilly31
04-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Well, you can't argue with that logic.

:rolleyes:

I suppose it has nothing to do with the pitching performances, offense/defense production from the rest of the team and performance of the opposition in those games. Nope, it was Hairston's glove at SS. I can't believe the organization has missed that.

no i guess it had nothing to do with hairston hot bat either....

Bumstead
04-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Gonzo didn't even play last year...so...maybe Hairston was better than Kepp? Besides, the Reds are at .500 right now and I know BgWilly that you are a 'right now' kinda poster; did the Reds finish higher than .500 last year?

Bum

bgwilly31
04-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Gonzo didn't even play last year...so...maybe Hairston was better than Kepp? Besides, the Reds are at .500 right now and I know BgWilly that you are a 'right now' kinda poster; did the Reds finish higher than .500 last year?

Bum

The red were higher than .500 when hairston was a starter. Just stating the facts.

But yea i am a "right now" kinda poster. But what are we all posting about if were not posting about the right now>?

BigJohn
04-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Look how hot A Dunn is right now! What is his TEAM'S record?

Bumstead
04-16-2009, 01:31 PM
You are sure the Reds were above .500 when Hairston started at SS, not just when he started (we were talking about SS)? Show me the numbers, but all that will prove is that the Reds were better with Hairston at SS than they were with Kepp or whoever else there. And I have a lot more patience than 'right now.'

Yeah, Dunn is hot but where is the rest of his team? Does WAS have any pitchers at all?

Bum

JBChance
04-17-2009, 01:44 AM

no i guess it had nothing to do with hairston hot bat either....

JHJ had a career year at the plate in 2008. His bat, surely, helped win some games. That does not change the fact that he doesn't play SS well. Look at his RTZ from last year and you'll see that he's 2+ runs below avg. at SS. That's just not his natural position - besides last year for us, he has a grand total of 1 start at SS in his big league career. Check out his career stats here:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hairsje02.shtml

BTW, Jerry started almost as many games in the OF as at SS last year, so your correlation to us winning and his skills at SS is a bit overstated. He was a positive, but when he played SS, his contribution was lessened by his defense. "Hot Bat" or no, he belongs in the OF, not at SS.

I guess I must be greedy and want my shortstop to hit and field. :dunno:

BLEEDS
04-17-2009, 09:31 AM
I guess I must be greedy and want my shortstop to hit and field. :dunno:

You too huh? I think the other 31 teams might too. Problem is, there's only like 10 people in the world who qualify, and they ain't looking to play in Cincinnati... :(

PEACE

-BLEEDS

JBChance
04-17-2009, 10:14 AM
You too huh? I think the other 31 teams might too. Problem is, there's only like 10 people in the world who qualify, and they ain't looking to play in Cincinnati... :(

PEACE

-BLEEDS

And, I'll bet you find one on the top ten teams in baseball, or close to it. That's why the team has to develop one and not continue to settle for a stopgap and call it good.

I know that it is a hard task, but that's what team management gets paid to do - putting quality players out there, and thereby making the team successful. That is their job. If you don't your job well, there are usually repercussions. The Reds FO doesn't do their job and everyone shrugs their shoulders and says "Oh well, it's the Reds."

:bang: