PDA

View Full Version : So who hyped up this guy Owings.

bgwilly31
04-15-2009, 09:54 PM
So here i am excited to see this new talented 5th starter the reds have picked up.

and what do i get.

A fast ball or should i say meat ball pitcher. Serving up every pitch on a silver plater for the brew crew.

What are we going to do about this. Because i dont see this just as a bad start. i see this as a somebody made a mistake with this kid.

DTCromer
04-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Even I'm not this negative.

5 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 2 K

That sounds exactly like a line you'd expect from a 5th starter.

RedLakerFan24
04-15-2009, 10:05 PM
he is our 5th starter what do u want a 20 game winner

Ghosts of 1990
04-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Owings stinks. Look up the posts. I said it in ST and I'll say it again. His future will never be as a starter. He's going to get lit at GABP all season long. Homer should have been here not Owings. 5th place teams make 5th place moves. Owings is nothing.

NorrisHopper30
04-15-2009, 10:08 PM
It's one start. Relax people.

Ghosts of 1990
04-15-2009, 10:10 PM
It's one start. Relax people.

I'll be sure to dig up the thread and my post when he's 10 starts in and no sign of the man we saw in Spring Training re-appears. He got lit in Arizona and he's going to get lit here as well.

smoke6
04-15-2009, 10:11 PM
On the bright side...he's a better hitter than A Gon!

DTCromer
04-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Owings stinks. Look up the posts. I said it in ST and I'll say it again. His future will never be as a starter. He's going to get lit at GABP all season long. Homer should have been here not Owings. 5th place teams make 5th place moves. Owings is nothing.

It's kinda hard to say that Homer should've been here before Micah right now.

I'm sure the Louisville guys are wondering why he's even pitching in AAA.

bgwilly31
04-15-2009, 10:13 PM

cmon dont throw crap stats around.

Did you watch the game. This guy isnt going to make it in the big leagues. Not a chance.

bgwilly31
04-15-2009, 10:15 PM
wow what a game redlegs. :thumbdown

Ghosts of 1990
04-15-2009, 10:21 PM
It's kinda hard to say that Homer should've been here before Micah right now.

I'm sure the Louisville guys are wondering why he's even pitching in AAA.

Fair enough but on a level playing field in a "competition" Homer outperformed Owings and based on age, what we have invested in Homer and ceiling; Homer deserved the spot. There's no debating that.

Bumstead
04-15-2009, 10:21 PM
thanks for the humor...:rolleyes:

DTCromer
04-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Fair enough but on a level playing field in a "competition" Homer outperformed Owings and based on age, what we have invested in Homer and ceiling; Homer deserved the spot. There's no debating that.

FWIW, I think Homer would've definitely performed better up here, but it's hard to argue against the decision right now.

bgwilly31
04-15-2009, 10:33 PM
yeah i agree. Im going to try and laugh off every 5th loss this season too.

bgwilly31
04-15-2009, 10:34 PM
FWIW, I think Homer would've definitely performed better up here, but it's hard to argue against the decision right now.

after watching this owings guy. i can see why homer was so frustrated that he lost the spot to this loser.

DTCromer
04-15-2009, 10:35 PM
after watching this owings guy. i can see why homer was so frustrated that he lost the spot to this loser.

Did Micah sleep with your partner or something?

NorrisHopper30
04-15-2009, 10:45 PM
I'll be sure to dig up the thread and my post when he's 10 starts in and no sign of the man we saw in Spring Training re-appears. He got lit in Arizona and he's going to get lit here as well.

PLEASE do, it's a much better idea than crying like a baby after one start (in which he was scheduled late which could have messed with his arm).

Give it a few weeks, sheesh.

Ghosts of 1990
04-15-2009, 10:47 PM
PLEASE do, it's a much better idea than crying like a baby after one start (in which he was scheduled late which could have messed with his arm).

Give it a few weeks, sheesh.

I watched a lot of Owings last year and was unimpressed with his mirage hot start and then not surprised when he crumbled.

It's going to be worse in a hitters park like GABP. I'm hardly crying like a baby. I want to see Bailey get a full season of starts against major leaguers. Not Owings, who will either be out of baseball or in a long relief 2 role like Ron Villone in a few years.

BLEEDS
04-15-2009, 10:52 PM
I just with JayBruce32 would tell us how he really feels about Micah Owings.

I mean, quit beating around the bush!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

NorrisHopper30
04-15-2009, 10:53 PM
I watched a lot of Owings last year and was unimpressed with his mirage hot start and then not surprised when he crumbled.

It's going to be worse in a hitters park like GABP. I'm hardly crying like a baby. I want to see Bailey get a full season of starts against major leaguers. Not Owings, who will either be out of baseball or in a long relief 2 role like Ron Villone in a few years.

And I'm going to trust the Major League scouts/analysts over you. You may regret making this post, you may not. We will see.

Ghosts of 1990
04-15-2009, 10:56 PM
And I'm going to trust the Major League scouts/analysts over you. You may regret making this post, you may not. We will see.

Listen..... that statement about "the Professionals/scouts/coaches are always right"

That is sheepish to say. It's especially not true in Cincinnati (in any sport). They've been wrong for what? The last decade? Just because the Reds make a move we are not required to think or assume it is the right move.

JBChance
04-15-2009, 10:58 PM
I don't think he was too bad tonight.

Burton was much worse. He sure gave up the farm. Owings still had us in it at that point.

Cameron was seriously dialed in tonight and crushed it twice off him. Lets see how he does next time.

forfreelin04
04-15-2009, 11:02 PM
I just with JayBruce32 would tell us how he really feels about Micah Owings.

I mean, quit beating around the bush!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I love JayBruce32 and I don't even know him. He wrote on his website: "listen Jay, you're really worrying us. And maybe we're just being a little paranoid. "

That being out in the open, if you have to state that you might be "a little paranoid" the chances are good that you are!!!!

JAYBRUCE32, do everyone including Jay a favor and not worry so much about Jay Bruce.

GIDP
04-15-2009, 11:02 PM
1st start in like half a year. Id expect shut outs too.

Ghosts of 1990
04-15-2009, 11:03 PM
I love JayBruce32 and I don't even know him. He wrote on his website: "listen Jay, you're really worrying us. And maybe we're just being a little paranoid. "

That being out in the open, if you have to state that you might be "a little paranoid" the chances are good that you are!!!!

JAYBRUCE32, do everyone including Jay a favor and not worry so much about Jay Bruce.

I'll probably stop being bothered about it sometime around lunch time or dinner time tomorrow....

but then Friday night in Houston when he goes hitless for 2 K's again I'll need some reassurance again. :)

forfreelin04
04-15-2009, 11:06 PM
I'll probably stop being bothered about it sometime around lunch time or dinner time tomorrow....

but then Friday night in Houston when he goes hitless for 2 K's again I'll need some reassurance again. :)

Seriously, are you a woman? I'm not trying to be mean to you. It just would make more sense. You seem a bit obessed?! :luvu:

mroby85
04-15-2009, 11:09 PM
seriously guys? I mean, he wasn't great or anything, but he wasn't that bad. One of the runs given up came after Burton got absolutely rocked coming in to take his place. I didn't think he was that great, but i've seen a lot worse outings.

GIDP
04-15-2009, 11:18 PM
This thread is mature.

TC81190
04-15-2009, 11:50 PM
This thread is absolutely hysterical. One start. It was one start.

mroby85
04-16-2009, 12:01 AM
This thread is absolutely hysterical. One start. It was one start.

And not even that bad of a start... I didn't think at least.

Captain Hook
04-16-2009, 12:16 AM

I don't know that you would want to expect this from the 5th starter.But considering that it was his first start of the season and first time pitching in a game since spring training I think he does deserves a little bit of a break.Besides, the team was still in the game when he left.Thats more then what we could have said last season anytime the 5th starter spot in the rotation came up.

Lockdwn11
04-16-2009, 07:05 AM

Ok, but be sure to dig up your posts where you stated that Homer should be starting instead of Harang as well. :rolleyes:

Lockdwn11
04-16-2009, 07:06 AM
He is the 5th starter and it's ONE game! Some of you people have to be joking

DaytonFlyer
04-16-2009, 07:45 AM
If he can keep an ERA of 4.5 or so, that'd be pretty good from the #5 hole considering some of the dreck we've thrown out there in the past (Josh Fogg, anyone?).

He made 2 bad pitches to Mike Cameron... and other than that was decent. Definitely needs more starts before I'm ready to declare him a complete loss.

BLEEDS
04-16-2009, 08:13 AM
If he can keep an ERA of 4.5 or so, that'd be pretty good from the #5 hole considering some of the dreck we've thrown out there in the past (Josh Fogg, anyone?).

He made 2 bad pitches to Mike Cameron... and other than that was decent. Definitely needs more starts before I'm ready to declare him a complete loss.

Heck if he could do that from the 4 hole, or even the 3 hole, I'd be happy...

anything better than a 5.0 is Gravy from the 5 hole, IMO...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

ChatterRed
04-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Is this thread for real????

Did someone actually say "t-ball" Bailey should be the 5th starter and not Owings? You're kidding right?

Right now, I believe his e.r.a. is better than Volquez's. What.....no panic about Volquez? Certainly Edison isn't a true mlb starter with those numbers.

Well, the thread provided a nice laugh.

yo226
04-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Don't forget, he hadn't pitched to live batters in like 2 weeks. Cut him some slack.

ChatterRed
04-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Listen..... that statement about "the Professionals/scouts/coaches are always right"

That is sheepish to say. It's especially not true in Cincinnati (in any sport). They've been wrong for what? The last decade? Just because the Reds make a move we are not required to think or assume it is the right move.

Phillips, Bruce, Votto, Volquez, Cueto, Burton, Encarnacion, Dickerson, Hanigan, and more were either signed and developed or obtained on recommendation from these same scouts.

How old are you? I'm thinking you haven't been around the block long enough to making such bold statements.

Owings clearly outpitched Bailey in ST. Bailey is now getting rocked in triple AAA as usual. What was Bailey's e.r.a. up here last year..........something in the 7.00-8.00 range wasn't it? Not quite the 5.93 e.r.a. that an injured Owings put up last season. Yes, he continued to pitch hurt but didn't tell anyone. They finally shut him down. Tom Glavine has been pitching with a sore shoulder and has an e.r.a in the mid-5.00's right now.

It's one start.

Me thinks you're just frustrated because your boy Jay Bruce is about to get demoted. :D

Eric_the_Red
04-16-2009, 08:39 AM
I see some of you can find humor in this thread. And perhaps I could too if I thought some of the posters weren't serious.

But they are. And that scares me.

I think some of the posters on this thread are the same knee-jerk fans that call into the radio immediately after the game to provide their "analysis". Some of the posters on this thread sound like Banana Phone regulars.

My stomach hurts. I have to go read another thread and try to forget this trainwreck.

bounty37h
04-16-2009, 10:06 AM

Yeah, cause Honers line so far, against AAA'ers, is sooo much better so far :confused:

Ghosts of 1990
04-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Phillips, Bruce, Votto, Volquez, Cueto, Burton, Encarnacion, Dickerson, Hanigan, and more were either signed and developed or obtained on recommendation from these same scouts.

How old are you? I'm thinking you haven't been around the block long enough to making such bold statements.

Owings clearly outpitched Bailey in ST. Bailey is now getting rocked in triple AAA as usual. What was Bailey's e.r.a. up here last year..........something in the 7.00-8.00 range wasn't it? Not quite the 5.93 e.r.a. that an injured Owings put up last season. Yes, he continued to pitch hurt but didn't tell anyone. They finally shut him down. Tom Glavine has been pitching with a sore shoulder and has an e.r.a in the mid-5.00's right now.

It's one start.

Me thinks you're just frustrated because your boy Jay Bruce is about to get demoted. :D

No I just like Bailey better then Owings. I've been around the block long enough to know that he is going to continue to be run of the mill as long as he's starting, whereas Bailey I think could be special.

I'm talking about the decision to leave Owings on the MLB roster over Homer...... that wasn't on scouts. That is on the GM and the head coach. Period.

ChatterRed
04-16-2009, 11:41 AM
No I just like Bailey better then Owings. I've been around the block long enough to know that he is going to continue to be run of the mill as long as he's starting, whereas Bailey I think could be special.

I'm talking about the decision to leave Owings on the MLB roster over Homer...... that wasn't on scouts. That is on the GM and the head coach. Period.

......and Homer's 11.00 e.r.a. in 2 starts at Triple A leads you to believe they made the wrong decision? Not to mention the 5 HR's he's given up in 8 innings. He has a WHIP of 2.00. I guess that's 5th starter material, huh? :rolleyes:

bgwilly31
04-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Heres my questions to those that try and act as if first starts have little to no meaning.

How many losses does it take to have meaning>?

0-2>?

0-3>?

0-4>?

1-6>?

2-8>?

Im just trying to figure out how patient we all need to be.

schmidty622
04-16-2009, 11:43 AM
......and Homer's 11.00 e.r.a. in 2 starts at Triple A leads you to believe they made the wrong decision? Not to mention the 5 HR's he's given up in 8 innings. He has a WHIP of 2.00. I guess that's 5th starter material, huh? :rolleyes:

If we're looking for a Josh Fogg type.

ChatterRed
04-16-2009, 11:44 AM
By the way, Micah Owings is all of 26 years old, and beginning his third season in the major leagues. Is that what you call "run of the mill"? He was drafted in 2005 in the 3rd round by Arizona. Gee.........this is 2009..........4 total years in professional baseball and you want to give up on him?

markymark69
04-16-2009, 12:36 PM
So here i am excited to see this new talented 5th starter the reds have picked up.

and what do i get.

A fast ball or should i say meat ball pitcher. Serving up every pitch on a silver plater for the brew crew.

What are we going to do about this. Because i dont see this just as a bad start. i see this as a somebody made a mistake with this kid.

Take a pill, calm down.

It was his first start in 10 days, he was most likely nervous, wanting to make a good impression. We have to give him a few starts anyway before a determination can be made.

It will be okay, Chicken Little, the sky is not falling yet.

Bumstead
04-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Alright, I will admit it as this has gone too far :rolleyes:, I hyped up Owings...

You know Anthony Young went 0-27 before we all finally gave into the fact that he wasn't going to be a Hall of Famer... :beerme:

This is hysterical.

Bum

bounty37h
04-16-2009, 12:43 PM

How can you say that when Bailey hasn't even been around the block long enough to know if he will ever make it again, let alone stick, in the show? Yes, that was on the GM and coaches, and from what they showed in ST and since, it was the right call. We shall all have to sit back and see if it was the right call down the road, but for now, I dont see an arguement at all, except from you.

fugowitribe
04-16-2009, 12:53 PM
I don't know about you guys, but down 4-3 after the sixth inning is kind of optomistic when you look back at some of our past fifth starters. The end result was worse than what Owings' performance led you to believe. I don't understand why you guys aren't giving up on Jared Burton yet.....I mean he only threw 1 inning and gave up four runs. To quick to throw this guy under the bus IMO. Not to mention he saves a roster spot as a pinch-hitter.

bgwilly31
04-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Take a pill, calm down.

It was his first start in 10 days, he was most likely nervous, wanting to make a good impression. We have to give him a few starts anyway before a determination can be made.

so name calling is aloud on this forum?

Ghosts of 1990
04-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Take a pill, calm down.

I realize the sky isn't falling....

But I still believe that what I saw in the crystal ball with Owings is coming. I think the guy is going to get off to a horrid start and Bailey needed to be the 5 starter, not Owings..... it will prove to have been a bad decision and who knows now if we'll get what we should out of bailey....

bgwilly31
04-16-2009, 01:46 PM

But I still believe that what I saw in the crystal ball with Owings is coming. I think the guy is going to get off to a horrid start and Bailey needed to be the 5 starter, not Owings..... it will prove to have been a bad decision and who knows now if we'll get what we should out of bailey....

My thing on owings last night. Isnt just the fact that he got hit.

Its the fact that he seems only have one pitch in his pocket. The different forms of a fast ball. I dont see him being able to succeed in the majors with a style like that.

Ghosts of 1990
04-16-2009, 01:53 PM
He got nailed consistently last year in Arizona. He's going to get nailed in GABP as well.

schmidty622
04-16-2009, 02:03 PM
He was hurt for much of the year last year. He also hasn't pitched to live batters in two weeks or so. I'd do what everyone is asking us to do with Homer Bailey... Have Patience

bounty37h
04-16-2009, 02:18 PM

Dude, seriously, I think your problem is your using a crystal ball, its 2009, we know better now. Have you seen Baileys start, if you think Owens start last night was horrible, I am curious what adjective you have for Bailey so far this season. i think either or is going to be fine for the long run, and just need to sit back and enjoy-your taking the fun out of it with these rants of yours lately.

xavr1
04-16-2009, 03:20 PM
WHat I dont get is all the Homer apologists pointing out that Owings got hit hard last year in AZ (and, thus, presumably, he will get hit again this year). Didnt Bailey get shelled here?? In fact, hasnt he generally gotten shelled EACH TIME he's been given a spot on the big league club?

I'm not saying he is a bust or will never make it as a Red, but if you have such deep patience for Homer's development, why not have the same patience for Owings'? They're both young. I believe Owings earned the spot this year, and giving up 4 runs last night in his first start is not enough to dissuade me of that position.

bgwilly31
04-16-2009, 03:24 PM
He may have only given up 4 runs. But it could have been much much worse the way the brewers were spraying line shots everywhere.

ChatterRed
04-16-2009, 04:39 PM

........are you sure you didn't see Volquez in the crystal ball? Or maybe it was Bailey and your man love for him got in the way of your eyesight? :D

tbball10
04-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Is this thread real.

bgwilly31
04-16-2009, 04:55 PM
I cant wait till the next owings start.

Im going to love the new excuses you guys will come up with when

"he hasnt thrown in 2 weeks to live batters"

"his first start, chill pill"

arent available:)

Wont his next start be against the cubbys. :(

bounty37h
04-16-2009, 05:00 PM
So, BG, what was your thought then on the other losses this season, we must be doomed and all suck! it must be hard being such a supportive fan :rolleyes:

mroby85
04-16-2009, 05:00 PM

His outing wasn't that bad this time... did you watch the game, or were you watching Fringe again? :D lol j/k

Lockdwn11
04-16-2009, 05:04 PM

Is this the same crystal ball that told you Bailey should be the starter over Harang comming out of ST? If so you should throw that thing away because your crystal ball is broke.

TheBigLebowski
04-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Worst. Thread. Ever.

bgwilly31
04-16-2009, 05:20 PM
His outing wasn't that bad this time... did you watch the game, or were you watching Fringe again? :D lol j/k

I watched his first 3 innings. Than i started watching American idol:p:

And i knwo the stats he didnt end up being that bad.

But seriously. The Brewers were in a hitting slump! We caught them at the perfect time. And he helped them get out. By piping straight meat balls up in the zone and middle of the plate. He was like a pitching machine.

Bumstead
04-16-2009, 05:21 PM
hahaha ^^^^^

TheBigLebowski hits the nail on the head!

bgwilly31
04-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Worst. Thread. Ever.

So when owings is 2-9 at some point this year. Will it still be the worst thread ever. Or will it be the best thread ever. No it will be just forgotten because everyone one of us will be pissed off about owings there will be 10 threads by then.

Lockdwn11
04-16-2009, 05:26 PM
I tell you what BG I am willing to make a bet with you if Owens does indeed end up 2-9 I will never post here at the redzone again but if he doesn't you stop posting. Deal?

mroby85
04-16-2009, 05:59 PM
I tell you what BG I am willing to make a bet with you if Owens does indeed end up 2-9 I will never post here at the redzone again but if he doesn't you stop posting. Deal?

Wow, this is like WWE material here ;) lol jk

MJA
04-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Take a pill, calm down.

bgwilly31 "so name calling is aloud on this forum?"

That is when I stopped taking this poster seriously. This guy just likes to pick fights with people over anything for the sake of fighting.

Also reviewing a pitcher after 1 start in the regular season= jumping the gun big time. Get back to me after 5 starts and we can begin to analyze Owing. If you were a Yankee fan you would probably start a "Lets Cut Chien-Ming Wang" after his last two abysmal starts.

bgwilly31
04-16-2009, 10:15 PM
bgwilly31 "so name calling is aloud on this forum?"

That is when I stopped taking this poster seriously. This guy just likes to pick fights with people over anything for the sake of fighting.

Also reviewing a pitcher after 1 start in the regular season= jumping the gun big time. Get back to me after 5 starts and we can begin to analyze Owing. If you were a Yankee fan you would probably start a "Lets Cut Chien-Ming Wang" after his last two abysmal starts.

hehe i stopped taking himseriously after reading his screen name.

Chris Sabowned
04-16-2009, 10:27 PM
hehe i stopped taking himseriously after reading his screen name.

Bgwilly its only been one start, you are being ridiculous. If you can't see that then I'm sorry. Your ignorance is making me wish their was an ignore user function on this site.

OSUmed2010
04-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Bgwilly its only been one start, you are being ridiculous. If you can't see that then I'm sorry. Your ignorance is making me wish their was an ignore user function on this site.

There is an ignore user function on site. Just sayin'.

bgwilly31
04-16-2009, 11:43 PM

cool. nice to add your own touch. did you just copy and paste from somebodies reply before you>?

Caveman Techie
04-17-2009, 08:58 AM
So when owings is 2-9 at some point this year. Will it still be the worst thread ever. Or will it be the best thread ever. No it will be just forgotten because everyone one of us will be pissed off about owings there will be 10 threads by then.

So when do those same numbers apply to Homer who is putting up worse numbers than Owings is at AAA? Right now Owings is pitching MUCH better than Homer. But yet you would still rather have Homers 11+ ERA up in the big club? Doesn't make sense to me.

chettt
04-17-2009, 09:58 AM
I was at the game in Milwaukee for this start. I drove 4 1/2 hours to get there. He wasn't THAT bad. He wasn't responsible for this loss. Tie game with one runner on when he left the game. The bullpen gave up that runner plus 4 more that inning & 3 more later. Owings will be ok. He just didn't throw enough strikes. In my opinion, he was trying to throw that perfect pitch every time instead on throwing a good pitch. As I stated before, Owings will be just fine. By the way, Homer hasn't set the International League on fire.

bgwilly31
04-17-2009, 11:31 AM
So when do those same numbers apply to Homer who is putting up worse numbers than Owings is at AAA? Right now Owings is pitching MUCH better than Homer. But yet you would still rather have Homers 11+ ERA up in the big club? Doesn't make sense to me.

He wasnt THAT bad last year. And i would assume with all of his talent i hear about he couldnt get any worse. I would rather see us take a chance in our investment. Than this straight ball pitcher owings.

Like ive said prior. I think homer has a tude problem. And kind of tore himself up over losing the spot this year.

captainmorgan07
04-17-2009, 12:31 PM
The guy hadn't pitched in ten days due to the rain out. For a first start of the year by a 5th starter those are pretty decent numbers.

Caveman Techie
04-17-2009, 01:14 PM
He wasnt THAT bad last year. And i would assume with all of his talent i hear about he couldnt get any worse. I would rather see us take a chance in our investment. Than this straight ball pitcher owings.

Like ive said prior. I think homer has a tude problem. And kind of tore himself up over losing the spot this year.

You're right he wasn't "that" bad last year. He had a 7.93ERA. That is not the kind of production I want out of number 5 starter.

He is still only 22 years old. There is plenty of time for him to figure it out still. As for the tude problem, you hit the nail on the head. He does have an attitude problem. And that may have also played a part in why he didn't get the 5th spot. I really hope he is able to bounce back from this horrible start he's had this year and become a productive part of the Reds starting rotation for years to come. But right now he is exactly where he needs to be, in AAA learning how to pitch and deal with adversity.

Kingspoint
04-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Wow.

6 pages from a thread that starts out, "The Sky is Falling".

bgwilly31
04-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Wow.

6 pages from a thread that starts out, "The Sky is Falling".

Good reading ehh:p:

fugowitribe
04-18-2009, 10:14 AM
I hope Owings can do the same thing that Cueto did last night in Houston to put some of this nonsense to rest. IMO the way the Reds look right now, I would suggest that a few people untie their shoes so it is a little to put their foot in their mouth come Owings' second start.....or next pinch hit apperance.

bgwilly31
04-18-2009, 10:26 AM
I hope Owings can do the same thing that Cueto did last night in Houston to put some of this nonsense to rest. IMO the way the Reds look right now, I would suggest that a few people untie their shoes so it is a little to put their foot in their mouth come Owings' second start.....or next pinch hit apperance.

The reds scored 0 runs last night against oswalt. And squeezed out two on a HR in the 9th to win. Nothing wrong with that, however. 2 runs wont be near enough to win next time owings pitched. So im missing your point. Unless you think owings is going to do a complete 180 and become lights out. In which that case, im not sure what to think about your thought process.

gedred69
04-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Somebody needs to calm down. Making decisions on a player's value in such a limited time frame would have doomed the careers of many who went on to be stars. I saw (in person), Owings at a couple of ST games, late enough to be facing "A" line-ups. Owings pitching was very credible, especially for a 5th starter. I'd at least give him 3 more starts before I throw him under the bus.

PS. I was pulling for Homer as well, (instead of Masset, who has done right well). But, his performance at Louisville, plunking a batter w/ subsequent ejection after giving up a HR, shows Homer's lack of maturity. That temperment is exactly what has kept Zambrano from being the best pitcher in Baseball today. Get in his head and he'll do himself in.

ChatterRed
04-18-2009, 01:59 PM

Well his e.r.a. is better than Volquez's. In fact his e.r.a. is better than the composite 7.50+ e.r.a. the 5th starters put up last year. When Owings e.r.a. is over 5.50 after about 5 to 10 starts, then start complaining. :rolleyes:

RedLegsToday
04-20-2009, 09:17 AM
There's really no reason to complain. He's the team's 5th starter and their best hitter off the bench. That's gotta have some value. Actually, he may be the best hitter on the team.

fugowitribe
04-20-2009, 02:14 PM
The reds scored 0 runs last night against oswalt. And squeezed out two on a HR in the 9th to win. Nothing wrong with that, however. 2 runs wont be near enough to win next time owings pitched. So im missing your point. Unless you think owings is going to do a complete 180 and become lights out. In which that case, im not sure what to think about your thought process.

He does what he can to help the team win. That is my thought process. Many posts on this thread were throwing him out after giving up 4 Runs in Six innings. He is our 5th starter, of course he won't be lights out, but at the end of the day, he gave the reds a chance to win the ballgame and actually did win the ballgame a few days later with a double off the wall. I don't belive he is superman, but I do believe he is our best option as the 5th starter right now. Not to mention they don't have to face a guy who is 23-1 lifetime against the team when Owings makes his next start.

PhillipsHead
04-20-2009, 04:55 PM
From ESPN's Power Rankings this week:

"The Reds could have baseball's next Rick Ankiel. Righty Micah Owings is 0-1, 7.20 ERA as a starter, but he's hitting .400 with two doubles and two RBIs, both coming on his game-winning, pinch-hit double Sunday."

I'm considering the same thing. At what point if Owings doesn't pick up his pitching do we consider trying him out in left and giving him a start? I think at some point, this has to be a considerable option.

bgwilly31
04-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Well hes up again tonight.

We'll see what happens when he's facing a team that can actually hit.

Ghosts of 1990
04-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Ok guys. Here we go again.

We spot the guy a nice lead in a big game and he promptly comes out and gets hit hard. Everything has been hard outs even. He's getting ahead of hitters then leaving pitches over the plate.

He's valuable as a hitter and all thay but he doesnt get guys out.

tommycash
04-21-2009, 10:13 PM

We spot the guy a nice lead in a big game and he promptly comes out and gets hit hard. Everything has been hard outs even. He's getting ahead of hitters then leaving pitches over the plate.

A nice lead? What game are you watching. Also, if Dickerson catches that ball it is still 2-2.

OSUredsFAN
04-21-2009, 10:18 PM
A nice lead? What game are you watching. Also, if Dickerson catches that ball it is still 2-2.

A 1 run lead with this offense IS a nice lead. haha

bgwilly31
04-21-2009, 10:49 PM
carlos lee should have had 2 hrs.

And there were others hit to the wall.

4 BB as well.

tommycash
04-21-2009, 10:59 PM
carlos lee should have had 2 hrs.

And there were others hit to the wall.

4 BB as well.

Too bad Carlos Lee plays for the Astros. If you are gonna bash Owings, at least say that Derrick Lee should have had 2 HRs. And are we really saying that Owings did bad because someone "should have" or "could have". The Cubs are hitting the ball well on everyone tonight.

Ghosts of 1990
04-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Too bad Carlos Lee plays for the Astros. If you are gonna bash Owings, at least say that Derrick Lee should have had 2 HRs. And are we really saying that Owings did bad because someone "should have" or "could have". The Cubs are hitting the ball well on everyone tonight.

okaayyyyyyyyyyyyy :D

Hope we don't have to excuse this and that all year for him. Owings isn't getting it done. He'd tell you that.

Handofdeath
04-22-2009, 12:50 AM
He has a 5.59 ERA to this point so after 2 starts it's obvious he's not getting it done. Since evidently he should go to the bullpen or AAA, why don't we send these pitchers who have had at least 2 starts in 2009 to the pen or the minors?

Jon Garland 5.71 ERA
Ubaldo Jimenez 6.00 ERA
Edinson Volquez 6.46 ERA
John Lannan 6.46 ERA
Ricky Nolasco 6.60 ERA
Oliver Perez 7.80 ERA
Jeff Suppan 8.56 ERA
Scott Olsen 9.00 ERA
Aaron Cook 10.22 ERA
Cole Hamels 11.17 ERA
Brian Moehler 27.00 ERA

:rolleyes:

ChatterRed
04-22-2009, 04:42 AM
He has a 5.59 ERA to this point so after 2 starts it's obvious he's not getting it done. Since evidently he should go to the bullpen or AAA, why don't we send these pitchers who have had at least 2 starts in 2009 to the pen or the minors?

Jon Garland 5.71 ERA
Ubaldo Jimenez 6.00 ERA
Edinson Volquez 6.46 ERA
John Lannan 6.46 ERA
Ricky Nolasco 6.60 ERA
Oliver Perez 7.80 ERA
Jeff Suppan 8.56 ERA
Scott Olsen 9.00 ERA
Aaron Cook 10.22 ERA
Cole Hamels 11.17 ERA
Brian Moehler 27.00 ERA

:rolleyes:

Can this thread get any more ridiculous. Dickerson screwed the whole inning up. Without that error, the inning ends with no runs allowed.

End of story.

Move on people.

tommycash
04-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Can this thread get any more ridiculous. Dickerson screwed the whole inning up. Without that error, the inning ends with no runs allowed.

End of story.

Move on people.

Thank you. I just guess it goes to show you that everybody has to have a scape-goat or whipping boy every year. These guys just picked Owings.

bounty37h
04-22-2009, 12:05 PM

A one run lead, seriously, a "nice lead". it was one run. No, he didnt look good, but I think you can look at everyone in uniform that played in that game and find something they did or didnt do that helped earn that L. Our outfield sure didn't help him. Having a SS with no range left didnt help. His catcher sure as heck didnt help him ANY....

bgwilly31
04-22-2009, 12:21 PM

End of story.

Move on people.

Sure dickerson can take some blame for that ball. And it will go down as error. But it wasnt an easy ball to catch by no means. Especially in that wind and how the ball barely missed the over hanging fence.

How about putting a little blame on Owings for piping another fast ball belt high to lee in the first place.

Fact of the matter of is. People wanted to place bets and everything else that he wont be 2-9 at any point this season.

Well he's 0-2 and looks to be on his way to that.

bounty37h
04-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Geez, anyone remember the good ol days when being a fan meant pulling for your team to do well?

bgwilly31
04-22-2009, 12:33 PM
You dont know me^

I cheer on our squad every play.

However im also a realist.

schmidty622
04-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Bring up TEH HOMERZ!!!11

Seriously. I really don't like Owings stuff but I'm not sure Homer's straightball is any better. Especially if he can't hit 95 anymore.

Shawn_RedsFan
04-22-2009, 04:01 PM
In all honesty i would be willing to bet money that if homer was called up and put into the #5 role he will be 10times better than owings will ever be...owings = reliever

ian_madden
04-22-2009, 04:07 PM
I would like to point out that Owings is our 5th starter.... Not our ace, our 5th starter. Once again we were in the game till the bullpen, which for the most part has been great, let the game slip away. He is not Babe Ruth, he's not going to be our savior. He has more upside than down side. He is still fairly young. Don't turn your back on him yet.

bounty37h
04-22-2009, 04:12 PM
In all honesty i would be willing to bet money that if homer was called up and put into the #5 role he will be 10times better than owings will ever be...owings = reliever

If this was true, Homer would still be up here already, and not stinking it up in AAA, again. I dont think Owens is going to make any all star teams with his pitching anytime soon, but he is about what you expect out of a #5. Homer cant get his stuff together long enough to even make it, let alone deserve to stay. And I want him to as well!

bgwilly31
04-22-2009, 04:27 PM
If this was true, Homer would still be up here already, and not stinking it up in AAA, again. I dont think Owens is going to make any all star teams with his pitching anytime soon, but he is about what you expect out of a #5. Homer cant get his stuff together long enough to even make it, let alone deserve to stay. And I want him to as well!

so every team expects to lose with their 5th starter on the mound>?

ian_madden
04-22-2009, 04:42 PM
:confused:

No and I don't either. He has not pitched up to the hype. If he was not hyped as he was then this would not be a discussion. He pitched great during spring. When he exited the games, we were not out of the games yet. Last night an error acounted for 3 runs. He did pitch himself into some sticky situations, but he also pitched out of them as well. Do you remember who our 5 man was last year?

Griffey012
04-22-2009, 05:05 PM
I pretty much do when facing a healthy Harden. The bullpen hasn't helped keep us in either of the games Owings has started also.

LouisvilleCARDS
04-22-2009, 06:06 PM

So, you twist someone's words to say something they weren't saying?

The guys had a whopping TWO starts as the five starter, and you're already railing into him. There's two questions you need to answer:

1) What do you realistically expect in a season ERA wise out of a 5th starter?

and

2) What other REALISTIC options are available for a 5th starter?

Bailey is bombing hard, pretty much is bust worthy nowadays, and the rest are minor league fodder. The fact that we have 4 rotation spots locked up is a testament in itself, when in the past Owings would have been anchoring the rotation along with the Steve Paris and Pete Harnisch's of the world.

Shawn_RedsFan
04-22-2009, 06:15 PM

i really think homer is sick of being in aaa and thinks he deserves to be with the reds, i really don't think he cares. When we sent him down we got the attitude that homer had last year

Jerome
04-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Owings
2 starts. 9.2 innings. Let's wait a tad longer before crushing his dreams.

Newman4
04-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Here's my take...

first of all, Owings doesn't seem to have much of an upside. No real plus pitches. No strike out pitch. Appears to be a sinker baller, but leaves too many pitches high in the zone. I can see why some folks would rather see Homer since he does have more upside and shows flashes of dominance. However, until he gets it together at AAA, unfortunately, we may not get to see him try his luck at the ML level.

Next, the expecatation of mediocrity out of the 5th spot is unacceptable. Walt should always be looking to improve the staff, not accept that the 5th starter is supposed to be poor. The team needs 5 good starters ideally, don't go for just good enough - strive for excellence in all 5 starters.

Finally, spring training is over. The debate using spring stats is irrelevant. "What have you done lately" is what I am concerned with and thus far Owings hasn't been anything special.

Just my .02

ChatterRed
04-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Micah got screwed by Dickerson's error. How convenient to forget that.

He pitched well otherwise.

bgwilly31
04-22-2009, 10:26 PM
So, you twist someone's words to say something they weren't saying?

The guys had a whopping TWO starts as the five starter, and you're already railing into him. There's two questions you need to answer:

1) What do you realistically expect in a season ERA wise out of a 5th starter?

and

2) What other REALISTIC options are available for a 5th starter?

Bailey is bombing hard, pretty much is bust worthy nowadays, and the rest are minor league fodder. The fact that we have 4 rotation spots locked up is a testament in itself, when in the past Owings would have been anchoring the rotation along with the Steve Paris and Pete Harnisch's of the world.

You need to ask yourself a question.

Did you read the thread title.

"who hyped this guy owings>? "

In other words owings isnt living up to it.

Newman4
04-22-2009, 10:29 PM
I will say this....I would rather see Owings than Lincoln.

JBChance
04-22-2009, 11:20 PM
I will say this....I would rather see Owings than Lincoln.

Faint praise indeed.

ChatterRed
04-22-2009, 11:53 PM
He's had 2 games. Volquez was terrible his first 2 games. And Micah had Dickerson completely screw him by dropping that fly ball.

You guys are a tough crowd. And a ridiculously tough one to say the least. Micah will be fine. It could be much worse with Bailey up here. Triple AAA batters are hitting .326 against Homer in 3 starts. Nice (sarcasm). MAJOR LEAGUE HITTERS are hitting .270 against Micah...........amazingly, they are hitting .270 against Volquez too. Micah has given up 10 hits in 9.2 innings pitched. Volquez has given up 17 hits in 15 innings pitched.

SEND VOLQUEZ DOWN!!!!! HE STINKS!!!!! (SARCASM)

JBChance
04-23-2009, 12:10 AM
He's had 2 games. Volquez was terrible his first 2 games. And Micah had Dickerson completely screw him by dropping that fly ball.

You guys are a tough crowd. And a ridiculously tough one to say the least. Micah will be fine. It could be much worse with Bailey up here. Triple AAA batters are hitting .326 against Homer in 3 starts. Nice (sarcasm). MAJOR LEAGUE HITTERS are hitting .270 against Micah...........amazingly, they are hitting .270 against Volquez too. Micah has given up 10 hits in 9.2 innings pitched. Volquez has given up 17 hits in 15 innings pitched.

SEND VOLQUEZ DOWN!!!!! HE STINKS!!!!! (SARCASM)

Owings hasn't been that bad (better than our #5's i recent memory) but certainly isn't the pitcher that Volquez is. Ednison has a K/9 of 8.80 to Owings 4.66. Owings was hit pretty hard in both games, but kept the team in the hunt. Volquez's problem is that, although he has some plus pitches, he tries to nibble around the strike zone and walk too many hitters.

I certainly get, and agree with your point, that Owings should continue to be put out there and given more of a shot than two games.

BTW, if Owings isn't the answer, I bet you they don't look to Bailey next - they'll go to Masset. Especially with Bailey scuffling down in AAA.

ChatterRed
04-23-2009, 02:23 AM
Well, they'll stick with Owings for awhile in the 5th spot, I'm sure. But if they don't, or if someone gets hurt, it might be June or something like that. If Matt Maloney continues to pitch well at Triple A, it wouldn't surprise me to see him get the chance. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe he's a lefty, isn't he?

bounty37h
04-23-2009, 10:02 AM

No, you expect him to pitch good enough to be able to compete, and let the rest of the team take the heat off with defense and hitting-we got neither that night. He didnt pitch great, but they should have been in the game if the rest of the team picked him up. Thats what ya expect out of number 5 guy. I don't know if he will be the answer, but not ready to throw him under the bus as many here have already.

bounty37h
04-23-2009, 10:06 AM
i really think homer is sick of being in aaa and thinks he deserves to be with the reds, i really don't think he cares. When we sent him down we got the attitude that homer had last year

That kind of attitude is as bad as just sucking as a player in the first place, either way, your not doing yourself or the team any good. If he folds that easy, whats he going to do in tough times in Cincy? I think he needs to man up.

bounty37h
04-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Here's my take...

first of all, Owings doesn't seem to have much of an upside. No real plus pitches. No strike out pitch. Appears to be a sinker baller, but leaves too many pitches high in the zone. I can see why some folks would rather see Homer since he does have more upside and shows flashes of dominance. However, until he gets it together at AAA, unfortunately, we may not get to see him try his luck at the ML level.

Next, the expecatation of mediocrity out of the 5th spot is unacceptable. Walt should always be looking to improve the staff, not accept that the 5th starter is supposed to be poor. The team needs 5 good starters ideally, don't go for just good enough - strive for excellence in all 5 starters.

Finally, spring training is over. The debate using spring stats is irrelevant. "What have you done lately" is what I am concerned with and thus far Owings hasn't been anything special.

Just my .02

So, since ya got it figured out, who ya replacing him with then? I agree you should always look to improve, seems commomn sense that goes for any position, but there is also a thing called reality. Geez, I have already gotten in mid season defensive mode already :)

bounty37h
04-23-2009, 10:10 AM
You need to ask yourself a question.

Did you read the thread title.

"who hyped this guy owings>? "

In other words owings isnt living up to it.

Uhm ,he is a number 5, I think hype is a strong word to begin with, if he was that hyped, he wouldnt be #5....

bgwilly31
04-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Uhm ,he is a number 5, I think hype is a strong word to begin with, if he was that hyped, he wouldnt be #5....

ummm he was hyped.

ChatterRed
04-23-2009, 11:44 AM
ummm he was hyped.

No he wasn't. Who hyped him?

He's the fifth starter, for goodness sakes.

I can't remember a 5th starter of ANY MLB TEAM being hyped.

If that is hype, what do you call the RIDICULOUS HYPE that constantly surrounds your boy in Louisville with the plus 6.00 e.r.a. that is allowing batters to hit over .320 against him? The hype on that guy goes beyond normal. He doesn't deserve it.

Face the facts..........if Dickerson catches that ball, Owings gets out of the inning with the score still tied at 2. He probably gives one more inning, goes 5 innings, gives up 2 runs, and they take him out. He pitched fine. The defense let him down. In the end, he was still only credited 2 EARNED RUNS.

The lack of common sense in this thread astounds me.

Edit: And one more thing..................considering our 5th starters combined to produce a plus 7.00 e.r.a. last year.............most intelligent fans were looking forward to a 5th starter who could possibly keep the e.r.a. under 5.00.

Bumstead
04-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Well, I admitted that I was the one that hyped him earlier in the post....shouldn't that have ended this discussion? The question was answered after all...Besides, Dunn would have caught that ball!!!

bounty37h
04-23-2009, 12:30 PM
ummm he was hyped.

I must not have read that thread, I havent heard anything hyping him, or maybe I realized he is a number 5 and knew better. I have heard his bat hyped, but not his pitching.

bgwilly31
04-23-2009, 12:34 PM
No he wasn't. Who hyped him?

I can't remember a 5th starter of ANY MLB TEAM being hyped.

If that is hype, what do you call the RIDICULOUS HYPE that constantly surrounds your boy in Louisville

The lack of common sense in this thread astounds me.

wasnt homer a 5th starter last year.

You go from saying the thing in bold, than talking about homers hype.

I agree about the common sense thing.

Bumstead
04-23-2009, 01:42 PM
"Common Sense" was lost in Post #1 of this discussion thread!

Bounty: I was being sarcastic up until the point about Dunn making that catch anyway.

ian_madden
04-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Well, they'll stick with Owings for awhile in the 5th spot, I'm sure. But if they don't, or if someone gets hurt, it might be June or something like that. If Matt Maloney continues to pitch well at Triple A, it wouldn't surprise me to see him get the chance. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe he's a lefty, isn't he?

Maloney has been, imo, the best minor league pitcher we have had for more than a year now. But still no major time up here. He is stuck behind Homer because of Homers hype. I want Homer, and Owings to succeed, but give the other guy a shot... just not yet.

ChatterRed
04-23-2009, 03:23 PM
wasnt homer a 5th starter last year.

You go from saying the thing in bold, than talking about homers hype.

I agree about the common sense thing.

Micah has been a major league starter going into his third year now. Bailey has only sniffed the majors with no success.

Bailey's hype comes as a so-called can't-miss prospect. The constant gushing and fawning over Bailey makes me want to puke everytime I read it. The guy has done nothing in the past 2 seasons to warrant being in the majors. He might even be a bit of a headcase.

Meanwhile, guys like Cueto, Daryl Thompson (last year), Ramon Ramirez, and now possibly Maloney.......are passing Bailey in terms of triple A accomplishments..........while Bailey sits and sulks.

When Bailey gets his Louisville e.r.a. lower than Micah's major league e.r.a., then maybe we will talk. :p:

Caveman Techie
04-23-2009, 03:31 PM
When Bailey gets his Louisville e.r.a. lower than Micah's major league e.r.a., then maybe we will talk. :p:

And that right there is the heart of the argument. Micha is doing better than Homer at a higher level of competition. :beerme:

bgwilly31
04-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Micah has been a major league starter going into his third year now. Bailey has only sniffed the majors with no success.

Bailey's hype comes as a so-called can't-miss prospect. The constant gushing and fawning over Bailey makes me want to puke everytime I read it. The guy has done nothing in the past 2 seasons to warrant being in the majors. He might even be a bit of a headcase.

Meanwhile, guys like Cueto, Daryl Thompson (last year), Ramon Ramirez, and now possibly Maloney.......are passing Bailey in terms of triple A accomplishments..........while Bailey sits and sulks.

The conversation isnt about homer. Its about owings hype. And him not living up to it.

Common sense thing.

Eric_the_Red
04-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Okay, I think we all agree Owings is the 5th starter, and as such a sub-5.00 ERA and the ability to keep games close is really all that fans can (should?) expect.

So, can we let this thread die please?

bgwilly31
04-23-2009, 04:22 PM
so if owings goes 2-9 with 5.80 ERA at some point this season your cool with that. >?:confused:

Eric_the_Red
04-23-2009, 04:27 PM
so if owings goes 2-9 with 5.80 ERA at some point this season your cool with that. >?:confused:

Where did I say that? How is 5.80 a sub-5.00 ERA?

And that 2-9 record would depend on what type of run support he is getting. If Owings is 2-9 and losing a lot of games 4-3 or 3-2, then I could care less what his record is.

At this point I can only assume you are posting inflamatory responses to get others riled up. Either that or you have reading comprehension problems.

Bumstead
04-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Daryl Thompson...one good minor league season and an injury waiting to happen and he has passed Bailey as a prospect? Not even close. Thompson will probably be converted to a reliever just so he can stay healthy...if that works...Bailey may never pan out but he hasn't been passed by any of those guys mentioned.

This thread gets funnier and funnier. How about you don't post about Owings again until his ERA is 5.80 or higher and he has a 2-9 record?

Bum

ChatterRed
04-23-2009, 06:07 PM
The conversation isnt about homer. Its about owings hype. And him not living up to it.

Common sense thing.

There is no hype.

You imagined it. :p:

Caveman Techie
04-23-2009, 09:57 PM

You turned it into Homer vs. Owings thing first. Don't get on others when they point out that your dog don't hunt.

bounty37h
04-24-2009, 10:28 AM

Common sense thing.

Guess this is where I bow out, as I never saw or thought of any hype about him really.

bgwilly31
04-24-2009, 11:07 AM
never saw the hype. You must not hang out much around here. And i really dont feel like thread digging to show you the hype.

Eric_the_Red
04-24-2009, 11:11 AM
I recall a debate between Owings and Bailey during ST about who should be the 5th starter, but I don't think anyone was predicting a Cy Young Award for either. That is a discussion of which player is better, not "hype" for one.

Markrunz
04-24-2009, 01:06 PM
i sure wasn't

bounty37h
04-24-2009, 01:07 PM
never saw the hype. You must not hang out much around here. And i really dont feel like thread digging to show you the hype.

I got dub your posts on here (of course not that it means jack), so am around enough, adn nope, stil lnever heard much hype. I read plenty between him and Bailey for the #5 spot, but agian, never read it as hype. Again, maybe just my thoughts on a number 5 and expectations and reality?

schmidty622
04-24-2009, 01:11 PM
If hoping someone can be a league average starter is hyping him then I am guilty for hyping up Owings I guess.

Although I would venture to bet that his numbers as a #5 starter are about the average for all #5 guys so maybe I was right.

tommycash
04-24-2009, 01:24 PM
I have heard a lot of hype about Bailey over the years. The only hype on Owings I have ever heard is that he is a great hitter. I think he might be the best hitting pitcher in baseball (IMO), but I did not read (and anymore all I do is read on this site) a lot of hype on Owings pitching. I remember a lot of people talking about how they thought he would do better than last year (as he has recovered from injury) and that he did well in ST. I just think someone is trying to pick a fight at the wrong time. Give him a couple of more starts.

Newman4
04-24-2009, 01:27 PM
So, since ya got it figured out, who ya replacing him with then? I agree you should always look to improve, seems commomn sense that goes for any position, but there is also a thing called reality. Geez, I have already gotten in mid season defensive mode already :)

It's not a certain person. It depends on a lot of circumstances. Could be a midseason signee if the Reds are in contention like Paul Byrd or Ben Sheets. Could be Homer Bailey if he gets things straightened out. Could be a trade that brings in someone.

Chris Sabowned
04-24-2009, 01:30 PM
I could only find one small thread dedicated to Owings in the last month or so.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74503

Doesn't seem like a ton of hype to me.

bgwilly31
04-24-2009, 01:37 PM
well it will be entertaining to see how many of you turn when owings in the anchor holding this team down from a wild card spot.

Caveman Techie
04-24-2009, 01:39 PM
well it will be entertaining to see how many of you turn when owings in the anchor holding this team down from a wild card spot.

So who on the current roster would you replace him with?

Bumstead
04-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Their is nobody on the current MLB roster to replace him. Why would we replace him right now anyway? We have been in both games that he pitched. If Dickerson could catch, the 2nd game may have turned out a whole lot different. When will the madness of this thread end?

Bum

bgwilly31
04-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Their is nobody on the current MLB roster to replace him. Why would we replace him right now anyway? We have been in both games that he pitched. If Dickerson could catch, the 2nd game may have turned out a whole lot different. When will the madness of this thread end?

Bum

Some of you just dont understand me. Im not saying replace him now. We've made the mistake we need to at least carry it out to see if we can catch some luck out of it.

I think we made the wrong choice to begin with. I think homer was the better choice for this year.

As of 3 weeks from now when owings is killing us. Were pretty much up poop creek with trying to replace him.

Bumstead
04-24-2009, 01:52 PM
I admit, I don't understand you...:p:

Here is something I do understand though: Never wrestle with a pig in the mud, eventually you will just find out that the pig enjoys it.

Bum

bgwilly31
04-24-2009, 01:59 PM
I admit, I don't understand you...:p:

Here is something I do understand though: Never wrestle with a pig in the mud, eventually you will just find out that the pig enjoys it.

Bum

Thats good advice about the pig. I think i will follow it. :D

Eric_the_Red
04-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Gotta love people that criticize without offering solutions.

schmidty622
04-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Gotta love people that criticize without offering solutions.

At least they can be the first on the board to yell... I TOLD YOU SO!!!

I mean, why bother posting if you can't be the one to say that to everyone. Who needs solutions when you have message board superiority?

bounty37h
04-24-2009, 03:51 PM

Is this the same BG from other threads, cause this seems like an imposter to me, he makes sense on others, but this is just weird. None of us are saying Owens is the man, and that we wont look at other options if he doesnt turn it around, we just didnt throw him under the bus out the gate

bounty37h
04-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Some of you just dont understand me. Im not saying replace him now. We've made the mistake we need to at least carry it out to see if we can catch some luck out of it.

I think we made the wrong choice to begin with. I think homer was the better choice for this year.

As of 3 weeks from now when owings is killing us. Were pretty much up poop creek with trying to replace him.

Ok, fair enough, enlighten us, why do you think Bailey was the better choice? Numbers and stats say otherwise, so whats your view? How is his performance in AAA making your wrong choice look right now, and dont give me he is just upset he was demoted-if he gives up that easy, he is lost and I dont want anything to do with him anyway- he cant help anyone that way. If anything, he should realize he would get a chance at some point, and likely soon, and needs to be ready, as it is now, he is prob 3 or even 4 choice to come up on based on performance so far....

improbus
04-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Ok, fair enough, enlighten us, why do you think Bailey was the better choice? Numbers and stats say otherwise, so whats your view? How is his performance in AAA making your wrong choice look right now, and dont give me he is just upset he was demoted-if he gives up that easy, he is lost and I dont want anything to do with him anyway- he cant help anyone that way. If anything, he should realize he would get a chance at some point, and likely soon, and needs to be ready, as it is now, he is prob 3 or even 4 choice to come up on based on performance so far....
Agreed. Owings needs to get it going, but he isn't going to get shelled every time out. Bailey's issues seem to be mostly in his head and if he is not doing well because he didn't make the team then I'm not sure he exactly has the mentality of a big leaguer. His attitude should be, "well... I must have been demoted for a reason, so I'm going to have to work harder to make it back." It seems that Rosales has taken that to heart. The same goes with Gomes w an OPS of .886. Bailey's WHIP is 1.86 in AAA. That is awful. Bailey certainly doesn't seem like a nose to the grindstone guy.

Boston Red
04-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Damn, this Owings guy stinks. :)

goreds2
04-26-2009, 04:17 PM
I am not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread but it will be interesting if Owings will by bypassed for a DH during inter-league play.

Boston Red
04-26-2009, 04:19 PM
I am not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread but it will be interesting if Owings will by bypassed for a DH during inter-league play.

We could actually use the DH for someone else, right? Would it be too damaging to the confidence of Paul Janish if Owings hit for himself and someone DHes for Janish?

ChatterRed
04-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Damn, this Owings guy stinks. :)

This thread should be locked and done away with.

Owings backed up everything I've said today.

I have more concerns with Volquez at the moment.

mroby85
04-26-2009, 05:27 PM
This thread should be locked and done away with.

Owings backed up everything I've said today.

I have more concerns with Volquez at the moment.

I'm not an Owings basher, and think he should be on the team, but i'm not sure 1 start backs anything up, just like the 1st two starts didn't make him a terrible pitcher either.

goreds2
04-26-2009, 07:22 PM
We could actually use the DH for someone else, right? Would it be too damaging to the confidence of Paul Janish if Owings hit for himself and someone DHes for Janish?

Yes, I know for sure high schools do it. The only problem is that if Owings were to be taken out, that pitcher would be assigned a spot in the batting order, correct?

chettt
04-27-2009, 09:42 AM
I was at the game in Milwaukee for this start. I drove 4 1/2 hours to get there. He wasn't THAT bad. He wasn't responsible for this loss. Tie game with one runner on when he left the game. The bullpen gave up that runner plus 4 more that inning & 3 more later. Owings will be ok. He just didn't throw enough strikes. In my opinion, he was trying to throw that perfect pitch every time instead on throwing a good pitch. As I stated before, Owings will be just fine. By the way, Homer hasn't set the International League on fire.

After yesterday's game (yes, I was in attendance, I think we would take this output from Owings every time.

LouisvilleCARDS
05-12-2009, 11:55 PM
Bump.

:owned:

NorrisHopper30
05-13-2009, 12:26 AM
Bump.

:owned:

:laugh:

3 wins for Owings (4 all of last year in the 5th spot).

Can't complain.

Va Red Fan
05-13-2009, 12:41 AM
I think Owings is a great addition to the team.

Captain Hook
05-13-2009, 12:44 AM
:duel:.......and Owings is your winner!!!

Who would have thought Owings would out pitch the D-Backs ace?

WILD THING
05-13-2009, 12:44 AM
He definitely brings something to the 5th spot in the rotation that we've been missing.

GIDP
05-13-2009, 12:48 AM
Owings is a solid number 5 for the most part and if you figure in his bat you actually have a pretty good ball player.

Ghosts of 1990
05-13-2009, 12:58 AM
I knew this thread would make its way to the top.... nice win by owings tonight but it was against one of the worst offensive teams in all of baseball that just fired their manager.

Dude Rock
05-13-2009, 04:11 AM
I knew this thread would make its way to the top.... nice win by owings tonight but it was against one of the worst offensive teams in all of baseball that just fired their manager.

Way to go negative Nelly. Dan Haren had an e.r.a. below 2.00 starting the game and Owings had an e.r.a. over 5.00.

Stop with the negativity. Great effort by Owings and the small-ball philosophy.

DaytonFlyer
05-13-2009, 07:47 AM
Owings' ERA just dropped about one-tenth of a run lower than Volquez.

We should get rid of this bum Volquez.

bounty37h
05-13-2009, 10:06 AM

Hasnt "that" team been us the last several years, either with hitting or pitching, we have been that team that people arent impressed if they beat us. I am enjoying not being that team now!

cbowen2112
05-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Honestly he should be the 4th spot guy. Arroyo the 5th spot guy. That is what Arroyo was in Boston and should be. The guy who tries to mop up a bad series, or tries to battle against another 5 spot guy. People can figure out the breaking balls much easier it seems lately.

Chris Sabowned
05-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Honestly he should be the 4th spot guy. Arroyo the 5th spot guy. That is what Arroyo was in Boston and should be. The guy who tries to mop up a bad series, or tries to battle against another 5 spot guy. People can figure out the breaking balls much easier it seems lately.

I'm not sure it matters at this point who's the 4 and who's the 5. Its not like 4's only pitch against other 4's and so on. At this point in the season anyone could pitch against anyone, like last night when our "5" beat Arizona's "1".

OesterPoster
05-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Yes, I know for sure high schools do it. The only problem is that if Owings were to be taken out, that pitcher would be assigned a spot in the batting order, correct?

American League DH rules dictate that only the pitcher can have a DH.

bgwilly31
05-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Well you guys jumped all over me for declaring him bad after 2 starts.

And now you guys declare him Great after 2 good starts.>?

I'll agree for sure the guy has seemed to turn a corner. I hope he keeps it up. Last night he pitched a great game regardless of the caliper of the team.

I hope he keeps it up.

GIDP
05-13-2009, 11:40 AM
It not that hes great or bad. Hes a decent MLB pitcher who brings a lot of value because of his bat. He is Josh Fogg but with better k/9 and he carries a good stick to the plate.

He could still improve some also so he has that going for him. Id take a better version of Josh Fogg as our 5th starter and have zero problems about it. Especially when you consider his overall value to the team.

schmidty622
05-13-2009, 11:48 AM
It not that hes great or bad. Hes a decent MLB pitcher who brings a lot of value because of his bat. He is Josh Fogg but with better k/9 and he carries a good stick to the plate.

He could still improve some also so he has that going for him. Id take a better version of Josh Fogg as our 5th starter and have zero problems about it. Especially when you consider his overall value to the team.

I don't know if he's Josh Fogg. Fogg was epically bad last year. I think Owings is a league average #4-5 starter. He's never going to have a sub 4 ERA but I think it is within his ability to have a ERA between 4.5 and 5.5 and provide us with about 150-180 innings.

In this day and age, that is a player that can be a valuable part of your team. And his value is magnified even more so due to his stellar bat.

GIDP
05-13-2009, 12:20 PM
I don't know if he's Josh Fogg. Fogg was epically bad last year. I think Owings is a league average #4-5 starter. He's never going to have a sub 4 ERA but I think it is within his ability to have a ERA between 4.5 and 5.5 and provide us with about 150-180 innings.

In this day and age, that is a player that can be a valuable part of your team. And his value is magnified even more so due to his stellar bat.

I'm not talking about last years josh fogg. Josh Fogg has put up some good years of being a league average pitcher but I think its a good comparison.

Kingspoint
05-13-2009, 02:04 PM
:duel:.......and Owings is your winner!!!

Who would have thought Owings would out pitch the D-Backs ace?

Me.

bgwilly31
05-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Me.

So now your saying owings is better than Haren. lol

schmidty622
05-13-2009, 02:16 PM

Obviously that's what was being said. :cool:

PhillipsHead
05-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Owings beat up on a lineup of:

Lopez
Montero (him hitting 2 is a joke
Upton (halting his 18 game hit streak)
Reynolds
Byrnes
Whitesell
Young
Ojeda
Haren

To keep things in perspective, this is not a good lineup. There is a reason that this team is tanking right now -- mostly because they're bad. Nonetheless, I'm happy about his start and we need him to keep this up to anchor the back. I think our season relies a lot on Arroyo, Owings and our bats. I think Harang will be Harang, Cueto will be Cueto (and an All-Star), Volquez will be Volquez and the pen will be the pen. We need Owings to keep us in games against the tough lineups and beat up on the bad ones like the D-Backs...

Bumstead
05-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Owings is doing his job as the #5 starter. He is keeping us in ballgames and giving us a chance to win. Potentially, I think he can maintain an ERA in the low 4's and give the Reds close to 200 IP. That would qualify him as one of the best #5 Starting Pitchers in the game. And, he won't go 2-9...:p:

Bum

Kingspoint
05-13-2009, 02:43 PM

No, but I did say this before the game yesterday:

No one knows what we are going to get from Owings in May of 2009.

Wait and see and you will be surprised.

Pitching is a craft where a player gets better with more experience. Owings is still young at only 280 innings and he's still developing his craft. He didn't get to develop it the second half of last season, so he needs some time where the games count for him to get into a groove. I'm looking forward to see how he adjusts to things this month, especially with the pitching staff in a groove right now.

It sucks for Owings that he has to face Dan Haren tonight.

He might have to throw a shutout to win.

Which, meant that I thought he was very capable of doing it last night.

In the "Predictions for May" thread, the only thing I mentioned was that I expected to see great improvement from Owings in May.

Brutus
05-13-2009, 02:46 PM

Lopez
Reynolds
Byrnes
Whitesell
Young
Ojeda
Haren

To keep things in perspective, this is not a good lineup. There is a reason that this team is tanking right now -- mostly because they're bad. Nonetheless, I'm happy about his start and we need him to keep this up to anchor the back. I think our season relies a lot on Arroyo, Owings and our bats. I think Harang will be Harang, Cueto will be Cueto (and an All-Star), Volquez will be Volquez and the pen will be the pen. We need Owings to keep us in games against the tough lineups and beat up on the bad ones like the D-Backs...

Certainly, you are correct that he beat a less-than-stellar lineup. However, I'm not sure why anyone feels like it's necessary to make that qualifier.

Regardless of the competition, he's got an ERA of 4.33 and a WHIP of 1.42. While he's not struck out a tremendous number of guys, he's also not walking many, either. What's more is that his FIP, xERA, DIPS and other indicators of future performance measure his actual production at an ERA of around 4.50 to 4.60 - league average.

Put that in perspective. Cincinnati, right now, has a league average pitcher as their 5th starter. When most teams struggle to maintain a cumulative ERA of 5.00 from their last spot in the rotation, the Reds have a league-average pitcher winning games for them. I don't know about you, but I'll take a league-average pitcher winning games against mediocre offenses in the 5th spot every time around!

Owings is, and will never be, an ace. But when you keep in perspective his salary and also his role, he's turned in pretty satisfactory performances.

schmidty622
05-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Certainly, you are correct that he beat a less-than-stellar lineup. However, I'm not sure why anyone feels like it's necessary to make that qualifier.

Regardless of the competition, he's got an ERA of 4.33 and a WHIP of 1.42. While he's not struck out a tremendous number of guys, he's also not walking many, either. What's more is that his FIP, xERA, DIPS and other indicators of future performance measure his actual production at an ERA of around 4.50 to 4.60 - league average.

Put that in perspective. Cincinnati, right now, has a league average pitcher as their 5th starter. When most teams struggle to maintain a cumulative ERA of 5.00 from their last spot in the rotation, the Reds have a league-average pitcher winning games for them. I don't know about you, but I'll take a league-average pitcher winning games against mediocre offenses in the 5th spot every time around!

Owings is, and will never be, an ace. But when you keep in perspective his salary and also his role, he's turned in pretty satisfactory performances.

Booya:thumbup:

TheBigLebowski
05-13-2009, 04:45 PM

If Micah Owings is Josh Fogg with a good bat, then I am Carrie Prejean without the surgically-enhanced chest.

LouisvilleCARDS
05-14-2009, 01:10 AM

Lopez
Reynolds
Byrnes
Whitesell
Young
Ojeda
Haren

So, other pitchers don't play the low level teams of the world either? Jeez, the way some people react, it seems like some want him to fail so they can dislike him. I don't think anyone is saying he's awesome or anything, but he's certainly doing well, and much much better than what's expect from a #5 pitcher. If after another month of pitching he's doing fairly well and getting wins, I think people need to start to realize maybe he isn't that bad at all.

And just to keep things in perspective, I just picked a random year of Reds pitching over the past few years (any will do really) so I just pulled up the 2003 Reds. Lets take a look at that rotation (games pitched, W/L, ERA):

1 SP Danny Graves 29 4 15 5.33
2 SP Paul Wilson 30 8 10 4.64
3 SP Ryan Dempster 26 3 7 6.54
4 SP Jimmy Haynes 30 2 12 6.30

The good ole days, huh? A Micah Owings would have been the ACE of those teams. Since when do solid, but unspectacular, number FIVE starters nowadays because big deals? Especially for the Cincinnati Reds?

Oh, BTW, Bailey gave up 4 ER's in 6 IP in his loss today, raising his ERA to the high 4's.

bgwilly31
05-14-2009, 11:23 AM
So, other pitchers don't play the low level teams of the world either? Jeez, the way some people react, it seems like some want him to fail so they can dislike him. I don't think anyone is saying he's awesome or anything, but he's certainly doing well, and much much better than what's expect from a #5 pitcher. If after another month of pitching he's doing fairly well and getting wins, I think people need to start to realize maybe he isn't that bad at all.

I think he was more responding to the posters that jumped in here after a single great start and Posted "PWND" Like he was the next allstar.

LouisvilleCARDS
05-14-2009, 10:19 PM
I think I was responding to the thread starter who just bashed the guy constantly. I never said a thing about him being an All Star. You ,on the other hand, sure didn't pull any punches.

ian_madden
05-15-2009, 12:51 AM

# weeks to the day... Is he killing us.

9th inning game tying homer, fantastic performance against his former team.
I think we may have the best number 5 in the game. And is only going to get better.

Lockdwn11
05-15-2009, 09:06 AM
I think he was more responding to the posters that jumped in here after a single great start and Posted "PWND" Like he was the next allstar.

Kinda like you and JayBruce32 was ready to cut him after one start ? You was asking people if they even watched the game when you yourself said later you only watched the first three innings because American Idol was on LOL.

quote from bgwilly on Owings first start (I watched his first 3 innings. Than i started watching American idol)

lidspinner
05-15-2009, 09:14 AM
what does PWND stand for? I am a little old for this cyber lingo!!!