PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bruce is cursed, probably will end up sent to AAA soon

Ghosts of 1990
04-15-2009, 10:37 PM
OK. The guy can't buy a hit. He either hits it hard right at someone, or he K's or he grounds out.... this looks like it's not going anywhere for a while. I fully expect it to be a season long thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sent down soon. So frustrated.

bgwilly31
04-15-2009, 10:42 PM
OK. The guy can't buy a hit. He either hits it hard right at someone, or he K's or he grounds out.... this looks like it's not going anywhere for a while. I fully expect it to be a season long thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sent down soon. So frustrated.

i dont know about the sent down thing. but he sure is stinking up the place.

forfreelin04
04-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Dude, your more than just a little paranoid.

Ghosts of 1990
04-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Dude, your more than just a little paranoid.

I think I've been pretty rational with patience. Something is wrong. This isn't going away. He isn't getting hits off run of the mill guys. It's more then just a slump its a curse. And I'm willing to do anything to break it but I don't think it will matter.

BLEEDS
04-15-2009, 10:55 PM
I think I've been pretty rational with patience. Something is wrong. This isn't going away. He isn't getting hits off run of the mill guys. It's more then just a slump its a curse. And I'm willing to do anything to break it but I don't think it will matter.

I would try holding your breath until he gets a homerun. ;)

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Ghosts of 1990
04-15-2009, 10:57 PM
I think he doubts himself and his abilities a lot right now. I read a quote his mother said when he won minor league player of the year that he's constantly questioned himself if he belonged and I think by watching him right now its not health, it's not ability, it's a self confidence issue. He is doubting himself and he's about to enter dangerous territory (see Justin Upton)

Ghosts of 1990
04-15-2009, 10:58 PM
next thing that will snowball things even further will be Dusty (instead of leaving him alone no matter what and letting him work through things like he did Corey Patterson last year to no avail) he'll start hitting him 7th or 8th and further damage his confidence. You watch.

JBChance
04-15-2009, 11:05 PM
next thing that will snowball things even further will be Dusty (instead of leaving him alone no matter what and letting him work through things like he did Corey Patterson last year to no avail) he'll start hitting him 7th or 8th and further damage his confidence. You watch.

Easy man, it's a slump - that's it. He's playing OK right now. Last night he had 2 walks. He's starting to see the ball. His defense was nice tonight.

Dusty won't drop him in the lineup because of 8 games. Relax.

TC81190
04-15-2009, 11:52 PM
this place, I swear, sometimes... :eek:

Captain Hook
04-16-2009, 12:00 AM

I don't think Bruce batting 7th or 8th is such a bad idea.He still would be playing everyday.The only problem with moving him down in the lineup is that you can't move the guys batting 7th or 8th up because they are doing far worse then Bruce.

Ghosts of 1990
04-16-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't think Bruce batting 7th or 8th is such a bad idea.He still would be playing everyday.The only problem with moving him down in the lineup is that you can't move the guys batting 7th or 8th up because they are doing far worse then Bruce.

would be a terrible idea based on confidence being hurt.... and lack of protection (which I think is the problem now).

Eric_the_Red
04-16-2009, 10:57 AM
I think EE should be adequate protection. The problem is Bruce making terrible decisions about which pitches he swings at.

freestyle55
04-16-2009, 11:05 AM
8 GAMES...repeat...8 GAMES...

yo226
04-16-2009, 11:08 AM
would be a terrible idea based on confidence being hurt.... and lack of protection (which I think is the problem now).

He's hit in front of EE pretty much all year. I don't know that it is a lack of protection. Even if it was his OBP doesn't justify a move up in the line up. I think he's just a young kid going through some growing pains. He'll be alright. He's just not the lord and savior that everyone thought he was.

ChatterRed
04-16-2009, 11:39 AM
I think Jay Bruce is a flash in the pan. His career is over. (sarcasm)

demas863
04-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Looks to me like a guy who can't hit a decent slider and sits on the fastball - any fastball. When he gets ahead in the count he'll swing at any fastball regardless of its location. Behind in the count he continues to try and pull everything out of the park, usually going down on a slider in the dirt. One of the TV team commented that Mike Schmidt (sp?) suggested to Bruce that he let the ballgame come to him rather than pushing himself to the game (paraphrase). I think I understand what Schmitty meant but did Bruce?

What makes this game so great for me is that to succeed one has to adjust. A talent can come up from the minors and hit .500 for two weeks and then the scouts get to work on where the weaknesses are and then the pitchers adjust. It's then the job of the hitter to counter-adjust. One major ingredient of this adjustment process is patience and not pressing. Votto is a perfect example of a guy who adjusts beautifully both defensively and offensively and, of course, there's Albert Pujols. Bruce is still very young (two years behind Votto) so it would be ridiculous to write him off or even think about it. If I were Dusty I would drop him in the lineup to help take the pressure off and for the time being and improve the lineup. Forget the "hurting his confidence" argument. Bruce knows he's stinking the place up. If he can't accept being dropped in the lineup then he's not mature enough to be in the bigs. Unfortunately, Dusty seems to go overboard in not wanting to hurt a player's feelings. Not moving Griffey down in the lineup last year is still in my crawl. I'm standing by to be ripped:)

Ghosts of 1990
04-16-2009, 01:31 PM
I talked to Rick Sweet (manager of the Louisville Riverbats) this morning and he said a few things....

-Bruce is young and its a 162 game season and by seasons end he'll be right where he needs to be and where we expect him to be.

-(asked him if he thought Bruce would get sent down) he said it's not his call but not to worry that Bruce will be fine soon enough.

schmidty622
04-16-2009, 02:06 PM
I talked to Rick Sweet (manager of the Louisville Riverbats) this morning and he said a few things....

-Bruce is young and its a 162 game season and by seasons end he'll be right where he needs to be and where we expect him to be.

-(asked him if he thought Bruce would get sent down) he said it's not his call but not to worry that Bruce will be fine soon enough.

There you go, yeah he's gotten off to a bad start but he has the talent to pull through. I'm still going to say that Bruce will take the first half of this year to continue to adjust and then the light will go on for him.

xavr1
04-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Guys, this guy was the No. 1 prospect in the country two years ago! Lets give him more than 8 games. I am more than confident in Jay, and it'll only be a matter of time before he starts seeing the ball again. I'm MUCH more worried about AGon than Bruce.

ChatterRed
04-16-2009, 04:35 PM

You called Rick Sweet? You're kidding?

Why?

You need Rick to tell you that Jay will be fine? :rolleyes:

Ghosts of 1990
04-16-2009, 06:22 PM
You called Rick Sweet? You're kidding?

Why?

You need Rick to tell you that Jay will be fine? :rolleyes:

More then anything I wanted to see if he thought jay going to AAA is a possibility.

gedred69
04-16-2009, 07:11 PM
this place, I swear, sometimes... :eek:

Yuh, exactly what I was thinking..

Captain Hook
04-16-2009, 09:47 PM

You seem to be very big on building confidence.I agree that in order to have success there must be a great deal of confidence but but these guys wouldn't be in the bigs if they weren't confident.If moving a guy back a spot or two in the batting order would destroy someone then maybe they lack a competitive nature.Last season Dunn was moved to 8th in the lineup because he was struggling.From that point on he improved and moved back up in the batting order.These guys are paid to be professional baseball players.This is not little league or a daycare.If you struggle then you should bat where and when your told to bat.I believe that it is a terrible idea to run a team based on your players feelings.I think Griffey batting 3rd last season is a good example of how it can ruin things.I do agree that it is not ideal to move Bruce down because of who we have behind him(I mentioned this in my original post)but to keep him where he is because your afraid of hurting his confidence is not the way to do things.

Carolina Red
04-16-2009, 09:52 PM
I remember some dude named Votto who struggled the first half of last year then it was just like somebody flipped a switch. Bruce will come into his own soon, he's still just a kid. He works hard and it will pay off, he has talent.