PDA

View Full Version : 2009 NBA Playoffs

Pages : [1] 2

texasdave
04-16-2009, 12:37 PM
The NBA Playoffs are here which means we are about two months away from crowning a champion. That seems a bit excessive to me, but David Sterns isn't taking my calls so let the journey begin.

Here is a link for the schedule of first-round matchups: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/04/16/playoff.schedule/index.html

I'll take a stab at what I think is going to transpire in the playoffs. Color me a hater because this is far from what I would like to see happen. The possibility that Kevin Garnett misses the playoffs is great news as far as I am concerned. If the Celtics, Lakers, Spurs and Cavs all went down in the first-round it would be Christmas in April for me. I told you I was a hater. Any of the remaining 12 teams are golden in my eyes (particularly Houston).

Lakers over the Jazz in five. Phil Jackson throws Jerry Sloan a one-game bone.
Denver over NO in six. Altitude plus Attitude. CP3 can catch a summer bowling league.
Dallas over San Antonio in six. Not without Manu they don't. Dirk drives Dallas.
Houston over Portland in seven. They say never pick with your heart. I didn't. Portland a year away.

Cleveland over Detroit in five. AI is not the answer. Next question.
Boston over Chicago in seven. This would be my upset special, except it's not.
Orlando over 76ers in six. Superman has nothing up his sleeve. Philly once again 'Brand'ed a loser.
Miami over Atlanta in seven. DWade IS in my fave five.

Lakers over Houston in six. Artest and Kobe talk non-stop smack, but Kobe backs his up.
Denver over Dallas in seven. Dirk misses all seven shots in the fourth quarter of game seven. Altitude or Choke? Doesn't matter. Denver moves on.

Cleveland over Miami in five. Lebron is a bigger DWade. 'Nuf said.
Orlando over Boston in six. This is my upset special, but, with no KG, it's not.

Lakers over Denver in six. They can boo Kobe all they want in Denver, it's not gonna matter.
Cleveland over Orlando in five. Yawn. ZZZZZ.

Lakers over Cavs in seven. Great series goes down to the wire. Kobe versus Lebron. Blah, blah, blah. I hope they both lose.

Yes, I am a hater.

leakbrewergator
04-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Good post despite your hate, Dave.

Here's the way I see it.

LA over Utah in 5
Denver over NO in 7
San Antonio over Dallas in 6
Portland over Houston in 7

Cleveland over Detroit in 6
Boston over Chicago in 6
Orlando over Philly in 5
Atlanta over Miami in 7

LA over Portland in 7
San Antonio over Denver in 7

Cleveland over Atlanta in 7
Boston over Orlando in 7

LA over San Antonio in 5

Cleveland over Boston in 4

LA over Cleveland in 6

Kobe MVP. LeBron cries. Wade gets carried off in a wheelchair.

Unassisted
04-16-2009, 04:07 PM
IMO, texasdave has the East right and leakbrewergator has the West right.

If the Lakers represent the West in the finals, I won't be watching and don't care how many games it takes them to win it. :D

NorrisHopper30
04-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Utah will beat the Lakers
76ers will beat Orlando
Mavs will beat Spurs

Those are my first round upsets.

WMR
04-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Lakers - Cavs in the NBA Finals

Could be one of those all-time great series.

BuckeyeRed27
04-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Lakers - Cavs in the NBA Finals

Could be one of those all-time great series.

If this doesn't happen you are talking about a major major upset.

KG is out possibly for the entire playoffs in case you hadn't read.

leakbrewergator
04-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Utah will beat the Lakers
76ers will beat Orlando
Mavs will beat Spurs

Those are my first round upsets.

:confused: Utah over LA? It'll never happen.

TeamSelig
04-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Yeah, no way do the Lakers lose out to Utah IMO. Also, I don't see the Sixers winning more than 1 game in the playoffs.

WVRed
04-17-2009, 02:04 PM
San Antonio and possibly Portland could be the only teams I see in the west with a realistic shot of knocking off the Lakers.

The road through the east runs through Cleveland. Boston isn't going to be a threat without KG and Orlando relies on Dwight Howard almost entirely.

MasonBuzz3
04-17-2009, 02:53 PM
1st Round:
Cleveland def Detroit 4-0
Boston def Chicago 4-2
Orlando def Philadelphia 4-1
Miami def Atlanta 4-3

LA def Utah 4-2
Denver def NO 4-3
SA def Dallas 4-2
Portland def Houston 4-3

2nd Round:
Cleveland def Miami 4-1
Orlando def Boston 4-2

LA def Portland 4-3
Denver def SA 4-2

Conference Finals:
Cleveland def Orlando 4-2
LA def Denver 4-2

Finals:
Cleveland def LA 4-2

Denver-New Orleans and Lakers-Blazers will be the best series of the playoffs besides the Finals. Home court rules the Finals IMO

DTCromer
04-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Is there anyone in the east who will the least bit challenge Cleveland?

TeamSelig
04-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Lakers over the Jazz in five
Denver over NO in six
San Antonio over Dallas in seven.
Portland over Houston in seven

Cleveland over Detroit in four
Boston over Chicago in seven
Orlando over 76ers in five
Miami over Atlanta in six

Lakers over Portland in six
San Antonio over Denver in seven

Cleveland over Miami in six
Orlando over Boston in seven

Lakers over San Antonio in five
Cleveland over Orlando in six

Cleveland over Lakers in six

TeamSelig
04-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Chicago beats Boston in OT. Rose puts up 36 and 11. Wow. Surprising victory, would love to see Chicago upset the Celtics.

Revering4Blue
04-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Chicago beats Boston in OT. Rose puts up 36 and 11. Wow. Surprising victory, would love to see Chicago upset the Celtics.

KG or no KG, this is impressive.

Yes, KG is KG. But Salmons is playing injured and the Bulls are missing Luol Deng.

No excuses for the Celtics should they lose the series. We'll see.

TeamSelig
04-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Well, they actually play very well without KG so I was kinda surprised.

dabvu2498
04-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Chicago beats Boston in OT. Rose puts up 36 and 11. Wow. Surprising victory, would love to see Chicago upset the Celtics. Ray Allen plays again like he did today and you may get your wish. He was totally uninspired. Great PG matchup in this one with Rose and Rondo giving each other some business. Rondo didn't have a single turnover until a crucial moment in the OT. Too bad.

TeamSelig
04-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Whats up with these games on TV? It said NBA basketball on ESPN earlier but it was showing some Madden tournament (who would want to watch people play Xbox on tv?)

Revering4Blue
04-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Well, Dallas and Houston answered the bell--and then some.

The Maverick bench, led by Jose Barea, who looks like he should be delivering your paper, did their job.

If you are Popovich, do you consider starting Bowen to help lock down Josh Howard early?

I think you have to consider it. That way, Finley will help the second unit actually put points on the board.

As for Portland, you cannot just chalk it up to lack of experience. The Blazers weren't even able to exploit their supposed bench advantage.

Still, as tough as the West is, imagine how tough it would be with a healthy Ginobili, McGrady and Tyson Chandler.

Revering4Blue
04-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Tony Parker has been telling his friends he's been feeling tired lately, and Saturday night he told J.J. Barea.

“I could tell by looking at him,” the Mavericks' backup point guard said.

Head down, hands on hips. The same Parker who had been shredding the league — especially these Mavericks — looked precisely like someone who has been asked to do too much.

When?

He could have used his own Barea.

The Spurs have been looking for help for Parker since 2003, when Speedy Claxton left. They've gone through several candidates, using two first-round picks along the way, and George Hill was supposed to be that as recently as March.

But he was a DNP again Saturday as Roger Mason Jr. again played out of position. When the Spurs stalled, Parker would come back in, dribbling and sprinting for over 41 minutes.

That's just part of the equation that finds the Spurs starting another postseason with a loss. They've come back to win titles from 0-1, but this isn't the same team.

The defense, for one, isn't the same. The Mavericks went for 60 points in the second half. So it didn't matter that the Spurs threw in 11 of their first 12 3-pointers, or that Tim Duncan's bank shot was going. There were flaws, bigger than anything they had in 2003, 2005 or 2007, and Matt Bonner chasing Dirk Nowitzki was one.

Another flaw has seemingly been around forever, and that's the backup point position. Especially now, without Manu Ginobili around, Parker has been asked to create most of what the Spurs do.

At times he has, which is why the Spurs think he deserves MVP votes. Barea has been impressed, too.

“I'm a big fan,” he said.

The kid said this Saturday night between two large teammates, looking like, well, a kid. The Mavericks list him at six feet, but he appears closer to 5-foot-10.

That's a reason he wasn't drafted. But Avery Johnson always saw something in Barea when no one else did. Johnson always saw himself.

Little, tough, with an edge — couldn't J.J. become another AJ with time?

The Spurs have been known for doing this at other positions, and perhaps Hill eventually develops. Barea, after all, is in his third season.

Still, it doesn't matter if the coaching staff is spot on when it comes to evaluating Hill's current status. This is true today: The Mavericks have the kind of player the Spurs have failed to develop.

What Barea did Saturday was no fluke. He's had four fourth quarters this season of at least 10 points, and he's responsible for at least four wins.

Or, he kept the Mavericks out of the eighth seed.

The Spurs getting only 14 points from their bench on Saturday was no fluke, either. In March, in Dallas, they got seven.

So there was Parker, feeling fresh, speeding into the lane to lead the Spurs to an early 13-point lead. And here came Barea off the bench, having scored only eight points in his playoff career before Saturday night, adding 13.

Parker's stats appeared far more impressive, with 24 points and eight assists. But he also had five turnovers, sometimes out of exhaustion, sometimes when running into Barea.

The number that defined Barea: When he was on the floor, the Mavericks had a 19-point advantage.

Brandon Bass would have the game's second highest plus-minus number, but the Dallas subs didn't do this alone. Josh Howard put in 25 points in less than 30 minutes.

Still, nothing changed the game more than when Barea bothered Parker. He made Parker play defense, and he made AJ look like a genius, and he made the Spurs wonder.

Shouldn't they have found someone like this by now?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/Backup_plan__a_tired_issue.html

improbus
04-19-2009, 10:54 AM
I think that Houston is the one team that can give the Lakers some problems. They have size in Yao, two guys that can hound Kobe, and they are getting solid PG play from Brooks.

TeamSelig
04-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Wow! Iggy just hit a tough shot to put the Sixers up 2 over Orlando with 2.2 seconds remaining.

cincrazy
04-19-2009, 10:03 PM
I don't expect Philly or Chicago to win their series, however, the thought of a Philly Chicago 2nd round matchup is certainly a possiblity. I think the Magic are overrated, and the Celtics without KG are way vulnerable.

MasonBuzz3
04-19-2009, 11:33 PM
I don't expect Philly or Chicago to win their series, however, the thought of a Philly Chicago 2nd round matchup is certainly a possiblity. I think the Magic are overrated, and the Celtics without KG are way vulnerable.

I agree that both Orlando and Boston should win their first round series, but they are both vulnerable. Orlando relies so heavily on their outside shooting, that if they go cold they are a very beatable squad as they are not a great defensive team. As for Boston, they should be able to handle the Bulls with or without KG. They have been playing some selfish basketball lately and it has biten them. Also, Pierce and Allen need to live up to the hype of being part of the "Big Three" and lead the team in the absence of KG...not sure if it is possible, but they should handle the Bulls. The Bulls are a year or two away from being the Cavaliers prime rival for supremacy in the East

goreds2
04-20-2009, 04:09 AM
What a come back by the Sixers being down by 18 points!

gosixers2 :redszone:

Here is the XM Radio NBA schedule if needed.

http://www.xmradio.com/schedule/sport/get_schedule_servlet.jsp?sub_cat_id=190

icehole3
04-20-2009, 07:11 AM
very impressed with Derrick Rose, he was unstoppable and the coaching was excellent for CHicago, in the OT they went to Thomas and Gordan while the Celtics doubled Rose, great job.

MasonBuzz3
04-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Congratulations to Cleveland Head Coach Mike Brown for winning the Coach of the Year award...very deserving

55 first place votes, wow! next closest was Nate McMillan with 15

BuckeyeRed27
04-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Congratulations to Cleveland Head Coach Mike Brown for winning the Coach of the Year award...very deserving

55 first place votes, wow! next closest was Nate McMillan with 15

I wonder how many times the COY also had the league MVP on his team.

Razor Shines
04-20-2009, 06:57 PM
I wonder how many times the COY also had the league MVP on his team.

Well it really doesn't apply this year since Phil Jackson didn't win COY.

NorrisHopper30
04-20-2009, 07:06 PM

Ha..ha

BuckeyeRed27
04-20-2009, 09:26 PM

Right...but seriously

MasonBuzz3
04-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Right...but seriously

The 2008-09 Cavaliers will be joining pretty elite company once the MVP voting is announced. There have been 12 (10 NBA 2 ABA) teams that have had both the MVP and the COY in the same season.

64-65 Boston - Bill Russel and Red Auerbach
65-66 Philadelphia - Wilt Chamberlain and Dolph Schayes
67-68 Pittsburgh (ABA) - Connie Hawkins and Vince Cazzetta
69-70 New York - Willis Reed and Red Holzman
72-73 Carolina (ABA) - Billy Cunningham and Larry Brown
72-73 Boston - Dave Cowens and Tom Heinsohn
89-90 LA Lakers - Magic Johnson and Pat Reily
95-96 Chicago - Michael Jordan and Phil Jackson
00-01 Philadelphia - Allen Iverson and Larry Brown
02-03 San Antonio - Tim Duncan and Greg Popovich
04-05 Phoenix - Steve Nash and Mike D'Antoni

Benny Red
04-21-2009, 05:55 AM
The first few days of the NBA playoffs have been awesome! I wasn't sold on the Nuggets until I watched them do whatever they wanted in game 1. I think they could take the Lakers to six and with the very slim chance of 7. They are that good. If they can manage Ben Gordon or David Lee in the offseason then Lakers-Nuggets could be an awesome rivalry for years to come...David Lee is a restricted free agent who I personally don't think the knicks will resign due to them wanting to land a James or Wade or Stoudamire or Bosh if they can in the '10 free agent crop. Lee put up about 17 and 11 and had about 60 double doubles...

I'm on Cleveland over LA in 7. And I think the home team will win every respective game.

BuckeyeRed27
04-21-2009, 12:40 PM
The 2008-09 Cavaliers will be joining pretty elite company once the MVP voting is announced. There have been 12 (10 NBA 2 ABA) teams that have had both the MVP and the COY in the same season.

64-65 Boston - Bill Russel and Red Auerbach
65-66 Philadelphia - Wilt Chamberlain and Dolph Schayes
67-68 Pittsburgh (ABA) - Connie Hawkins and Vince Cazzetta
69-70 New York - Willis Reed and Red Holzman
72-73 Carolina (ABA) - Billy Cunningham and Larry Brown
72-73 Boston - Dave Cowens and Tom Heinsohn
89-90 LA Lakers - Magic Johnson and Pat Reily
95-96 Chicago - Michael Jordan and Phil Jackson
00-01 Philadelphia - Allen Iverson and Larry Brown
02-03 San Antonio - Tim Duncan and Greg Popovich
04-05 Phoenix - Steve Nash and Mike D'Antoni

Thank you. I'm actually surprised that the number is that low.

MasonBuzz3
04-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Boston's Leon Powe is out for the year with a torn ACL....huge blow to the Celtics chances to get to the ECF.

Also, Dwight Howard is going to be named the Defensive Player of the Year at 2pm today...Howard received 542 points, including 105 first-place votes from a panel of 119 writers and broadcasters. LeBron was second with 148 points and DWade finished third with 90 points.

Scrap Irony
04-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Howard should be MVP this season, IMO. But he may not even be Top Three.

Sigh. It's a wingman's league. And a point guards.

Speaking of point guards, Rondo's triple double last night may have been better individually than anything seen this playoffs. Phenomenal game and, so far, he may be the playoff's best player.

MasonBuzz3
04-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Howard as MVP? really? 3rd in the East last year, 3rd in the East this year. he's a beast, but his rebound numbers are incredibly inflated since ORL has no real 4, Dwight cleans up almost all the boards.

TeamSelig
04-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Huh???

Sorry, but I disagree.

Howard 20.6 PPG 13.8 RPG 2.9 BPG 57% FG 59% FT
Lebron 28.4 PPG 7.6 RPG 7.2 APG 49% FG 78% FT

I think he has a clear statistical advantage, plus his team won more games.

I'd actually probably take Wade over Howard too.

30 PPG 7.5 APG 5.0 RPG 2.2 SPG 1.3 BPG

Maybe even Paul as well.

22.8 PPG 11 APG 5.5 RPG 2.8 SPG 50% FG 87% FT

cincrazy
04-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Howard should be MVP this season, IMO. But he may not even be Top Three.

Sigh. It's a wingman's league. And a point guards.

Speaking of point guards, Rondo's triple double last night may have been better individually than anything seen this playoffs. Phenomenal game and, so far, he may be the playoff's best player.

There's no questioning how good Howard is, but when he goes up against elite competition he struggles, and he really struggled down the stretch (per his standards) as the Magic were trying to wrap up the 2 seed. He was nowhere to be found against the Knicks or Nets.

He's a building block for sure, but I think he needs to develop more of an offensive game. Then he would truly be unstoppable, but I don't think you can say he's there yet.

WMR
04-22-2009, 11:47 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/jtr711/58zm5p1whntlmod6lgpt.gif

BuckeyeRed27
04-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Garnett face is pretty awesome

Some pretty good games in this playoffs so far, but that Boston/Chicago Game 2 was great. Didn't get to see the Houston/Portland game last night but looked awesome.

WMR
04-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Garnett face is pretty awesome

Some pretty good games in this playoffs so far, but that Boston/Chicago Game 2 was great. Didn't get to see the Houston/Portland game last night but looked awesome.

Awesome as in "looks retarded"? :laugh:

cincrazy
04-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Anyone watch the Rockets game on NBA TV? My friend that's a Rockets fan was LIVID about the officiating, and I was wondering if anyone else felt that the Rockets got shafted.

MasonBuzz3
04-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Garnett has always been one of the most classless players in the association, but he has taken it to new levels since coming to Boston. He puts on this tough "thug" persona with the trash talking and cheap shots, but in all reality he is just a word that would get censored on this site.

VR
04-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Anyone watch the Rockets game on NBA TV? My friend that's a Rockets fan was LIVID about the officiating, and I was wondering if anyone else felt that the Rockets got shafted.

He should have been embarrassed at the officiating if he was Rockets fan. They got to the line 16 times in just more than 1 quarter last night against the Blazers on ticky tack fouls....while Ming and Artest were thugging Roy in a bad way.
They just called WAY to many cheap fouls in an attempt to 'set the tone'. The 1st half was a joke, the 2nd half got better, but completely inconsistent.

I realized the biggest challenge the Blazers are facing is not having the veterans or star power to get calls in playoffs, even at home.

TeamSelig
04-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Garnett has always been one of the most classless players in the association, but he has taken it to new levels since coming to Boston. He puts on this tough "thug" persona with the trash talking and cheap shots, but in all reality he is just a word that would get censored on this site.

+1

BuckeyeRed27
04-22-2009, 05:29 PM

NBA officiating is easily the worst of all the major sports. I know its a tough job and the game moves fast, but there is rarely a game I watch where there are 3 or 4 calls or non calls that are terrible.

Roy Tucker
04-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Pretty funny.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090422

I liked:

Answer I wish Jackson had given: "He needed to relax, so I broke out a 6-foot Indian reservation bong that I bought in New Mexico for 20 bucks with Dean Meminger in 1973, and let's just say that I introduced that thing to Trevor and relaxed him to the point that we needed to wake him up with a Taser this morning."

MasonBuzz3
04-23-2009, 01:41 AM
tonight, Miami and Orlando tie up their series at 1-1, while Denver takes a 2-0 lead. A road win is very key in a seven game NBA series so the East series are basically down to best of five. Miami figured out Atlanta tonight by slowing the game down. While New Orleans is in some trouble with a re-newed Denver team, needs to find some heart at home

NorrisHopper30
04-24-2009, 01:23 AM
YES! JAZZ WIN!

Boston Red
04-24-2009, 09:56 AM
YES! JAZZ WIN!

Probably their last win of the season, but it was definitely a fun game to watch.

BuckeyeRed27
04-24-2009, 11:08 AM
I really wish Okur was healthy. That would drastically change this series.
I can see them winning the next game at home, but I don't see them winning 3 more games.

improbus
04-25-2009, 09:03 PM
No one can quit faster than the Hawks...

MasonBuzz3
04-25-2009, 10:30 PM
No one can quit faster than the Hawks...

the 2008-09 Detroit Pistons would like to challange that statement

MasonBuzz3
04-26-2009, 12:22 AM
Kobe shot very well tonight and went for 38 points, but the scariest thing about tonight was the Lakers starting Odom over Bynum. Odom and Pau posted +20 and +15 tonight, in comparison to Kobe's +4.

Lakers w/ Odom starting > Lakers with Bynum starting

and Okur was a bit of a disappointment, probably still too injured to play effectively

improbus
04-26-2009, 08:40 AM
the 2008-09 Detroit Pistons would like to challange that statement
Yeah, but the Pistons follies are as much due to aging and front office blunders as anything else. 'Sheed is half the player he was. Rip isn't the force he was. Stuckey isn't quite the player they thought he would be, and Tayshaun can only do so much.

Think about these moves:
-Darko over DWade and 'Melo
-AI for Billups
-Losing Okur

The Pistons should have won 2-3 titles.

The Hawks have a ton of talent, but Joe Johnson is the emotional equivalent of a monk and Josh Smith is a flake.

Revering4Blue
04-26-2009, 09:33 AM
The Pistons were not winning a championship this year, Billups or no Billups.

Joe Dumars knows what he is doing, which is creating cap space. Granted, it is a gamble, but I wouldn't count him out. Criticizing Dumars for drafting Darko ahead of Wade and Melo is akin to criticizing the Lakers for trading Adrian Dantley to the Jazz for Spencer Haywood prior to the start of Magic Johnson's rookie year. The end result was at least one championship.

Pacer fans can talk all they want about the Brawl in '05 or Larry Johnson's phantom 4-point play in the '99 ECF. But the main reason there hasn't been a banner in Indy since the ABA days is largely due to two masterful moves by Dumars:

Stealing Sheed at the '04 trading deadline.

Drafting Tayshawn Prince in '02.

Both moves could easily have, and should have been made by the Pacers at the time.

Donnie Walsh--God love him, he did a great job resurrecting a dead franchise, but had slipped in recent years--was asleep at the switch.

At least that is the way that I see it.

Revering4Blue
04-26-2009, 09:43 AM
The Hawks have a ton of talent, but Joe Johnson is the emotional equivalent of a monk and Josh Smith is a flake.

Agreed.

The Hawks were missing Marvin Williams, but would he have made that much of a difference.

I also find it quite amusing that several Hawk's fans--yes, they do exist--preferred drafting Yi over Horford in '07. What a disaster that would have been. Billy Knight made some bad moves, but that wasn't one of them.

As for the Heat, Jermaine O'Neal looked like the Jermaine O'Neal of '04. We will see if he can keep it up. If he can, the Cavs will be in for a fight in round two.

MasonBuzz3
04-27-2009, 12:20 AM
As for the Heat, Jermaine O'Neal looked like the Jermaine O'Neal of '04. We will see if he can keep it up. If he can, the Cavs will be in for a fight in round two.

I know I'm a Cavs homer, but really? Not only will the Heat-Hawks series go 7 while the Cavs sit and rest, but the series will start out at a quick 2-0 Cavs lead. Cavs will roll either the Heat or Hawks in 5 games at most, but more likely 4

Joe Dumars knows what he is doing, which is creating cap space. Granted, it is a gamble, but I wouldn't count him out. Criticizing Dumars for drafting Darko ahead of Wade and Melo is akin to criticizing the Lakers for trading Adrian Dantley to the Jazz for Spencer Haywood prior to the start of Magic Johnson's rookie year. The end result was at least one championship.
There were three yearly NBA All-Stars/MVP candidates taken immediately after Darko...Dumars is no good

The Hawks have a ton of talent, but Joe Johnson is the emotional equivalent of a monk and Josh Smith is a flake
The Hawks are extremely talented, but they are extremely young and lack a true 5 to balance their team. Horford is a 4 not a 5, Williams is a 3 not a 4, their frontline is mis-positioned and it hurts them. They are a talented young team but are in need of a piece or two and a new coach before they become a legitimate threat in the East

rant over

goreds2
04-27-2009, 04:31 AM
My Sixers lose 84-81. The series is tied at 2 games each. Game five to be in Orlando. :duel:

gosixers2

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/schedule

BuckeyeRed27
04-28-2009, 11:30 AM
It is so hard to be a Jazz fan. It's nice that they are always competitive and in the playoffs, but so frustrating to watch them lose every year and to know exactly how it is going to happen every time.

At least they didn't lose by 58 points at home.

MasonBuzz3
04-28-2009, 02:36 PM
It is so hard to be a Jazz fan. It's nice that they are always competitive and in the playoffs, but so frustrating to watch them lose every year and to know exactly how it is going to happen every time.

At least they didn't lose by 58 points at home.

the Jazz have a big off-season coming up with as many as 9 players able to leave. I think that they would be smart to let Boozer walk and move Millsap to the starting 5 position, and use that $ for a either a 2 or a 3 depending on how much they like Brewer. They also need to find some way to motivate AK47, not sure what happened to him, but he is too talented to average 11 and 5

improbus
04-28-2009, 05:42 PM
the Jazz have a big off-season coming up with as many as 9 players able to leave. I think that they would be smart to let Boozer walk and move Millsap to the starting 5 position, and use that $ for a either a 2 or a 3 depending on how much they like Brewer. They also need to find some way to motivate AK47, not sure what happened to him, but he is too talented to average 11 and 5

1) AK47 is legitimately crazy. He has zero self-esteem and can't exist with Sloan.

2) Be careful w/ Millsap. He is an energy guy and they are great for 20 minutes but not necessarily for 35+. When he took over for Boozer, he didn't last very long. In order for him to be effective, he needs to play at a high energy level.

goreds2
04-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Sixers lose tonight. Orlando leads series 3-2. Next game Thursday night.

MasonBuzz3
04-29-2009, 12:49 AM
another display of questionable NBA officiating tonight in the two East games. Dwight Howard with an elbow to the head of Dalembert, but yet was not ejected, and Rondo hitting Brad Miller in the face with 2 seconds to play but no flagerant foul called. Could be argued that the officials determined the outcome of both games, although Howard should and probably will be suspended for game 6.

and KG continues to enhance his thug image....hope he is back for the Eastern Conference Finals

VR
04-29-2009, 01:26 AM
Sixers lose tonight. Orlando leads series 3-2. Next game Thursday night.

Big Sixers fan here as well goreds. 35 years. One championship. Aint' happening this year either.

Blazers with a big win tonight. Greg Oden actually showed up to inject some big time d in the 4th quarter. Roy and Aldridge are going to be quite the duo in this league for many many years.

Scrap Irony
04-29-2009, 10:07 AM
another display of questionable NBA officiating tonight in ...Rondo hitting Brad Miller in the face with 2 seconds to play but no flagerant (sic) foul called.

You have got to be kidding me. Did you even watch the game? Miller wide open, two seconds left, everyone flying everywhere, Rondo's not trying to do harm. He's trying to steal the ball or block the shot. Period. That Miller got a tooth knocked out is immaterial. Wasn't done purposefully and absolutely the right call.

Now, the perpetual walk machine that is Paul Pierce may be a different story. Of course, if you call those walks on Pierce, you'll have to call them on LeBron and I'm pretty certain LeBron has never touched a ball without either walking with it or palming it.

BuckeyeRed27
04-29-2009, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=Scrap Irony;1852836]You have got to be kidding me. Did you even watch the game? Miller wide open, two seconds left, everyone flying everywhere, Rondo's not trying to do harm. He's trying to steal the ball or block the shot. Period. That Miller got a tooth knocked out is immaterial. Wasn't done purposefully and absolutely the right call. QUOTE]

Agree. Rondo swiped and happened to hit Miller's face.

Howard should have been thrown out and hopefully will be suspended.

WMR
04-29-2009, 11:42 AM
You have got to be kidding me. Did you even watch the game? Miller wide open, two seconds left, everyone flying everywhere, Rondo's not trying to do harm. He's trying to steal the ball or block the shot. Period. That Miller got a tooth knocked out is immaterial. Wasn't done purposefully and absolutely the right call.

Now, the perpetual walk machine that is Paul Pierce may be a different story. Of course, if you call those walks on Pierce, you'll have to call them on LeBron and I'm pretty certain LeBron has never touched a ball without either walking with it or palming it.

This is flat out wrong.

Rondo's "intent" in that instance is absolutely immaterial.

He violently hit Miller in the head. It should have been a flagrant foul, no question.

Intent matters zero in situations such as that. Did he commit the flagrant foul or didn't he. He did. It should have been a flagrant 1. (Flagrant 2 are generally reserved for fouls where INTENT is there as well. Ex. Dwight Howard's elbow on Dalembert)

Unassisted
04-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Looks like nobody here expected the Spurs to lose the series to the Mavs in 5. I didn't either. Considering how Denver mauled NO on Monday and should take that series handily, Dallas/Denver will be a great series.

texasdave
04-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Looks like nobody here expected the Spurs to lose the series to the Mavs in 5. I didn't either. Considering how Denver mauled NO on Monday and should take that series handily, Dallas/Denver will be a great series.

I had the Mavs over the Spurs in six. I will say that if the Spurs are at full strength there is no way the Mavs knock them out. It simply would not happen. Enjoy the moment, Mavs fans, you are not getting past Denver.

MasonBuzz3
04-29-2009, 03:15 PM
http://www.nbcchicago.com/sports/basketball/Worst-Person-In-The-World-Kevin-Garnett.html

a writer in Chicago sums up my beliefs about KG pretty well.

Scrap Irony
04-29-2009, 04:27 PM
This is flat out wrong.

Rondo's "intent" in that instance is absolutely immaterial.

He violently hit Miller in the head. It should have been a flagrant foul, no question.

Intent matters zero in situations such as that. Did he commit the flagrant foul or didn't he. He did. It should have been a flagrant 1. (Flagrant 2 are generally reserved for fouls where INTENT is there as well. Ex. Dwight Howard's elbow on Dalembert)

No, it's not. Rondo went for the ball, tried to block the ball, then accidentally hit Miller in the face. Period. Hard foul? Yep. Flagrant? Not close.

WMR
04-29-2009, 04:33 PM
No, it's not. Rondo went for the ball, tried to block the ball, then accidentally hit Miller in the face. Period. Hard foul? Yep. Flagrant? Not close.

Yes, it was.

It should've been called a flagrant.

Rondo got away with one.

If Miller had committed the same foul on Rondo he would've been assessed a flagrant, no doubt.

Rondo got the benefit of being a little guy.

BuckeyeRed27
04-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Yes, it was.

It should've been called a flagrant.

Rondo got away with one.

If Miller had committed the same foul on Rondo he would've been assessed a flagrant, no doubt.

Rondo got the benefit of being a little guy.

That is probably very true. Even though Rondo got him pretty good it didn't look as bad because Miller is so much bigger.

MasonBuzz3
04-30-2009, 12:56 AM

went for the ball? Miller is a 7 footer and had the ball completely extended in his right arm and Rondo got him in the face, about 3 feet away....hmmm. Accident or not, he hit him and should have been a flagrant. Boston, as a team, takes the whole "playoff foul" thing to a whole different level. Cheap shots turn into playoff fouls in Boston unfortunately

Razor Shines
04-30-2009, 02:53 AM

I've got to quote MasonBuzz and say "Went for the ball?" He wasn't any where near the ball. He was fouling to stop a layup. Normally I'm fine with that, but he got him in the face not anywhere near the ball.

TeamSelig
04-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Well, here is the proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TzGrzs7-AI

That is definitely a flagrant. Although, I'm sure $tern doesn't want this to happen.

EDIT ---- found a good picture too....

http://www.mouthpiecesports.com/blogmedia/2009/04/bradmillerfoul.jpg

cincrazy
04-30-2009, 08:07 AM
I thought Rondo was clearly going for Miller's face. His eyes weren't even looking at the ball, they were looking right at Miller's head, and it was obvious that he was trying to hit him in the face. With Dwight Howard being suspended, the same should have happened to Rondo. For all the moaning and crying the Celtics do about the officiating, they caught a break there.

cincrazy
04-30-2009, 08:10 AM
http://www.nbcchicago.com/sports/basketball/Worst-Person-In-The-World-Kevin-Garnett.html

a writer in Chicago sums up my beliefs about KG pretty well.

KG is nothing but a bully. He's always staring people down and trying to intimidate lesser players, but when's the last time he ever stared down Shaq? Or Lebron? Or D-Wade? Doesn't happen. The Celtics winning that championship went straight to their head. They have this false sense of entitlement now that makes me want to puke. They are good. But they're not 1980's Celtics good, which they seem to think.

15fan
04-30-2009, 09:47 AM
KG is nothing but a bully. He's always staring people down and trying to intimidate lesser players, but when's the last time he ever stared down Shaq? Or Lebron? Or D-Wade? Doesn't happen.

Which is why Zaza Pachulia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6JNQHZSkfE)will always have a soft spot in many hearts.

Edit: I'm generally not the kind of guy to advocate getting in someone else's grill. But I'll always :clap: for anyone who gets in Garnett's grill.

Scrap Irony
04-30-2009, 10:00 AM
“We felt Rondo was making a basketball play and going for the ball after a blown defensive assignment by the Celtic team,” NBA executive vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson said. “In terms of the criteria that we use to evaluate a flagrant foul penalty one, generally we like to consider whether or not there was a windup, an appropriate level of impact and a follow-through. And with this foul, we didn’t see a windup, nor did he follow through. So for that reason we’re not going to upgrade this foul to a flagrant foul penalty one.”

Then again, the Celtics are the NBA's favored child, right? Perhaps it's a consiracy to make certain the Cavaliers have to play Boston rather than the Bulls in the end. Or maybe it's to make certain there's another Boston-LA finals.

MasonBuzz3
04-30-2009, 03:15 PM
KG is nothing but a bully. He's always staring people down and trying to intimidate lesser players, but when's the last time he ever stared down Shaq? Or Lebron? Or D-Wade?

normally he picks on smaller players, although Anthony Peeler seemed to try to put an end to that...but youtube KG and McDyess if you want to see how fast KG runs when a same sized man is involved.

Or maybe it's to make certain there's another Boston-LA finals.

Bahston better worry about that #7 seed first, Cavs-Lakers final would have far bigger ratings than boston-LA

Razor Shines
04-30-2009, 06:13 PM
Then again, the Celtics are the NBA's favored child, right? Perhaps it's a consiracy to make certain the Cavaliers have to play Boston rather than the Bulls in the end. Or maybe it's to make certain there's another Boston-LA finals.

I don't know about any conspiracy theories and I don't care about any. And I don't give a good gosh darn about the Bulls, the Celtics or the Cavs. I'm saying that you cannot watch that and honestly say that Rondo was going for the ball, it's silly. He was fouling to try to stop a layup. And I'm cool with that, but you get someone in the face and bloody their mouth there should be an extra penalty.

Scrap Irony
04-30-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm saying it looks enough like he's going for the ball that it could not be called a flagrant foul. The rules of the NBA are clear.

Was it a hard foul? Youbetcha. It's the playoffs. It better be.

Reds Fanatic
04-30-2009, 09:55 PM
The Bulls and Celtics are headed to overtime again for the 4th time in 6 games. What an amazing series.

BuckeyeRed27
04-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Holy Ray Allen

BuckeyeRed27
04-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Wow...going into 3OT

Classic series

Scrap Irony
04-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Holy Brad Miller

BuckeyeRed27
04-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Wow what a absolutely great basketball game

128-127 Chicago 3OT forcing a Game 7 in Boston

dabvu2498
04-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Some of the best stuff I have ever seen.

texasdave
05-01-2009, 12:08 AM
I have to say congratulations to my team, the Houston Rockets, on FINALLY making it out of the first round. It has been a long time.

Boston Red
05-01-2009, 10:18 AM
I have to say congratulations to my team, the Houston Rockets, on FINALLY making it out of the first round. It has been a long time.

Once they put McGrady on the shelf it was smooth sailing.

Unassisted
05-01-2009, 10:33 AM
I have to say congratulations to my team, the Houston Rockets, on FINALLY making it out of the first round. It has been a long time.I caught the end of that game on the radio. The Rockets PBP guy was thrilled. It was fun to hear.

It's their first trip to the second round since 1997. IIRC what the radio said, they've made the playoffs 8 times in that span and never advanced.

TeamSelig
05-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Bulls/Celtics game was absolutely amazing.

What do you guys think of Rondo maybe getting suspended? Probably won't since he didn't on the Miller incident, but did you see what went on with Hinrich?

1) He throws Hinrich into the scorers table
2) Throws an elbow when Hinrich goes at him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORtiJ_s_i_A

jmac
05-01-2009, 10:38 AM
The game last night was a classic.
Did any of you see the Rondo play in the second quarter ? As someone not pulling for either team , I could not believe Rondo did not get ejected. He literally took Heinrich by the arm and slung him into the table. Plus, with use of TV monitors now, the officials looked at it several minutes before basically saying " do it again Rondo and You're out".

jmac
05-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Bulls/Celtics game was absolutely amazing.

What do you guys think of Rondo maybe getting suspended? Probably won't since he didn't on the Miller incident, but did you see what went on with Hinrich?

1) He throws Hinrich into the scorers table
2) Throws an elbow when Hinrich goes at him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORtiJ_s_i_A
Looks like we posted at same time. I couldnt believe the guy didint get ejected. I mean there absolutely no doubt about his intentions.
Grab..sling.....watch.
I think Rivers was shocked he wasnt tossed and if I was DeL Negro, I would have been very upset.

WMR
05-01-2009, 11:59 AM
NBA officiating is a joke.

Unfortunately it has severely damaged the overall credibility of the league and its product.

NJReds
05-01-2009, 02:02 PM

I'm a Knicks fan, but I always liked the Rockets going back to the Olajuwan days.

Hoosier Red
05-01-2009, 04:26 PM

The quote from Artest on going into the stands had me in tears this morning.

"Well I've gone into the stands before...."

improbus
05-02-2009, 09:02 AM
The quote from Artest on going into the stands had me in tears this morning.

"Well I've gone into the stands before...."
My observations from the last few days:
-In the Artest press conference, the best was Yao sitting next to him laughing it up.

-I've said it before and I will say it again. No one can quit like the Hawks.

-The Magic can beat anyone in any given game with their 3 point shooters, w/ or w/out Dwight Howard.

-The Rondo foul in Game 5 was questionable, but he absolutely should have been suspended for throwing Hinrich into the scorers table.

-In the Bulls/Celtics series, the team who's bigs can actually finish around the rim will win. Thomas, Davis, and Noah are all terrible finishers with defenders anywhere in the vicinity. Perk is the only one who can finish with a defender on him.

-Dallas v. Denver is going to be a GREAT series. They are both playing their best ball of the year.

cincrazy
05-02-2009, 01:10 PM
My observations from the last few days:

-I've said it before and I will say it again. No one can quit like the Hawks.

The Hornets would beg to differ :)

improbus
05-02-2009, 01:30 PM
The Hornets would beg to differ :)
Yeah, maybe. They quit when they knew they had no hope of winning the series and they also have some serious injury issues (Chandler, West, Peja). But the Hawks were in a closeout game against a Heat team w/out Jermaine O'Neal and absolutely mailed it in.

cincrazy
05-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Yeah, maybe. They quit when they knew they had no hope of winning the series and they also have some serious injury issues (Chandler, West, Peja). But the Hawks were in a closeout game against a Heat team w/out Jermaine O'Neal and absolutely mailed it in.

Well the Hawks didn't have Marvin Williams or Al Horford in fairness to them, and it was on the road. And when the Hornets lost by 58 points they were only down 2-1 in the series going into that game, and were coming off of a big come from behind game 3 win that seemingly put them back in the series.

improbus
05-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Well the Hawks didn't have Marvin Williams or Al Horford in fairness to them, and it was on the road. And when the Hornets lost by 58 points they were only down 2-1 in the series going into that game, and were coming off of a big come from behind game 3 win that seemingly put them back in the series.

You're right, I thought that was their elimination game. The Hornets game was a new low for the NBA. They basically quit on Byron Scott.

improbus
05-02-2009, 10:05 PM
The Bulls just can't sustain a run.

MasonBuzz3
05-03-2009, 12:29 AM
[QUOTE=improbus;1855407]
-In the Bulls/Celtics series, the team who's bigs can actually finish around the rim will win. Thomas, Davis, and Noah are all terrible finishers with defenders anywhere in the vicinity. Perk is the only one who can finish with a defender on him. [QUOTE]

the difference tonight was the bigs for Chicago in the 2nd quarter. Instead of getting low post position they continually set up shop at the free throw line and tried to dribble in deep, resulting in turnover after turnover. Congrats to Boston for winning the series, even though some of their player acted like it was game 7 of the finals afterwards. But Mr. Howard and the Magic will provide a much different challange in less than 2 days. As always stay classy Boston.

btw, can the NBA's best team take the court again? seems like a month since the Cavs last played. and to think another sweep might be in the forecast in round two...

Unassisted
05-03-2009, 12:50 AM
Congrats to Boston for winning the series, even though some of their player acted like it was game 7 of the finals afterwards.Glad someone else noticed that. Seeing that nonsense at the end made me appreciate the Spurs' approach.

improbus
05-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Glad someone else noticed that. Seeing that nonsense at the end made me appreciate the Spurs' approach.

The C's treat every win that way. They have never been very classy. What is sad to me is that the series seemed to go out with a whimper. I kept waiting for Benny Gordon to start hitting 27 footers, but it just didn't happen.

Perkins was the best player in the game and was definitely the most valuable in the series IMO. After game one, Rose wasn't getting to the rim anymore and Noah and Thomas were not able to make any uncontested shots.

Rondo was tremendous, Rose was very good (although his impact dropped towards the end of the series), but Perk was the difference.

BuckeyeRed27
05-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Big Boston comeback falls short and Orlando wins Game 1.

Lakers look a little rusty early on and my least favorite NBA player (the man named Sasha) clubs Battier in the face to end the first quarter (no foul).

MasonBuzz3
05-04-2009, 11:47 PM
terrible game in the Boston-Orlando series for two of the best four teams in the league. Orlando/Van Gundy show their softness once again and almost blow a huge lead. Looks like a series that could go the full 7 however.

Bynum needs to try not to foul every minute or so, the Lakers need him to combat the size advantage of Houston. We'll see if Kobe can take over the 4th quarter against the Rockets once again

cincrazy
05-05-2009, 04:54 PM
I picked Houston to beat LA in 6. Going out on a bit of a limb, but Houston isn't afraid to hit teams in the mouth, and the Lakers don't exactly go out of their way to play physical. People are making to big of a deal out of the Lakers supposed huge advantage in the frontcourt. Yao, Scola and Landry can more than hold their own with the LA threesome.

MasonBuzz3
05-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Cavs rolled as expected, another nine day lay-off might be right around the corner. And the Nuggets are looking like the second most impressive in these playoffs.

NBA All-Defensive Teams Announced:
Dwight Howard
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Chris Paul
Kevin Garnett

2nd Team:
Tim Duncan
Dwyane Wade
Rajon Rondo
Shane Battier
Ron Artest

Rondo on an all defensive team is a joke and KG misses a quarter of the season and makes the first team? I hate the East Coast bias arguement normally, but that is bad. Delonte West and Chris "Birdman" Anderson not getting a single vote is embarassing

texasdave
05-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Derek Fischer can take his time packing. He will have two extra days to make it down to Houston. If what he did to Luis Scola didn't cross the line, then there is no line. A one-game suspension is in order. The Rockets are by no means choirboys, but does a tug on the jersey merit a retaliatory, lined-up smashing of the face? No way. Sour grapes? Maybe just a little. But Derek Fischer should definitely be suspended for one game.

MasonBuzz3
05-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Anyone think that the Cavs can go 12-0 heading into the finals?

I see a sweep and 8 days of rest right around the corner and then facing a BOS/ORL team coming off of a 6-7 game series. 12-0 will be a stretch but the Cavs are looking unreal right now.

I, for one, can not wait for the Friday night games. Boston-Orlando should be a close one, even without Skip To My Lou. I expect Howard to get back into beast mode, but Pierce should also resurface. The nightcap will be the game to watch. I expect the Rockets to come out physical and intense and see if los Lakers can match without their "enforcer" Fischer. Should be a good 5-6 hours of playoff basketball

BuckeyeRed27
05-08-2009, 01:06 PM

I see a sweep and 8 days of rest right around the corner and then facing a BOS/ORL team coming off of a 6-7 game series. 12-0 will be a stretch but the Cavs are looking unreal right now.

I, for one, can not wait for the Friday night games. Boston-Orlando should be a close one, even without Skip To My Lou. I expect Howard to get back into beast mode, but Pierce should also resurface. The nightcap will be the game to watch. I expect the Rockets to come out physical and intense and see if los Lakers can match without their "enforcer" Fischer. Should be a good 5-6 hours of playoff basketball

The Cavs do look great. Now that Utah is out they are the team I'm rooting for. I don't think they can go 12-0. I think they will need 5 or 6 to beat either Orlando or Boston.

I thought Houston should be able to win Game 3. 40 minutes of Shannon Brown and Jordan Farmar's corpse is not a winning combo.

texasdave
05-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Even if the Cavs have a perfect 12-0 record heading into the Finals, I would still expect the Lakers or the Nuggets or the Rockets to handle them.

Chip R
05-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Even if the Cavs have a perfect 12-0 record heading into the Finals, I would still expect the Lakers or the Nuggets or the Rockets to handle them.

I don't know about that. They will have to win a game or 2 in CLE. Not an easy task.

Scrap Irony
05-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Cavs due to blow up. Usually happens with a team knocking on the dominance door. Of course, it didn't happen to Boston last season, so what do I know?

As to the West, Denver looks really good and LA looks beatable. That certainly wasn't the case in the regular season. And, if Garnett comes back (if the C's beat Orlando, no small task), even at 80%, he poses enough problems for an unproven Cav team.

Revering4Blue
05-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Courtney Lee is going to play for the Magic tonight as a reserve.

I don't know about that. They will have to win a game or 2 in CLE. Not an easy task.

Exactly.

Though this Cavs squad, clearly the best team in the league, should not be confused with the 1983 76ers.

They can be beaten.

As to the West, Denver looks really good and LA looks beatable. That certainly wasn't the case in the regular season. And, if Garnett comes back (if the C's beat Orlando, no small task), even at 80%, he poses enough problems for an unproven Cav team.

Yep.

Houston and Denver were overlooked by many as the trendy picks, Portland and New Orleans, fell flat on their collective faces. The Lakers are going to have to kick it up a notch or two just to reach the finals.

As for the Celtics, I may be in the minority here, but I believe that Leon Powe is no small loss, either.

If a relatively healthy Magic team struggles to knock off a beaten-up Celtic squad, who themselves survived against the beaten-up Bulls, how can they can be expected to knock off the Cavs?

Thus, 12-0 for the Cavs heading into the finals is certainly possible, though nothing should surprise me at this point.

texasdave
05-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Yao Ming out with a broken foot for the rest of the playoffs. Not that it really mattered. Without Yao and Dikembe Mutombo there is no way the Rockets keep anybody out of the lane. No Yao, no McGrady, no Mutombo and Ron Artest on the shortest leash since Dennis Rodman roamed the hardwood, if the Rockets pull this series out it will be one for the ages.

MasonBuzz3
05-09-2009, 11:08 PM
any doubts as to who the MVP should have been after the game in ATL tonight?

after Monday it will be 8-0 for the Cavs. There is no chance the young Hawks show up at all for game 4. LeBron and the Cavs are looking unstoppable at the moment, a chance to repeat the 83 Sixers and go "Fo, fo, fo"

Horrible news about Yao, Lakers will coast in 5 now. Should be a good WCF with Denver and LA.

icehole3
05-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Kenyon, Nene and Birdman have taken the heart out of the Mavs, theyre having problems coming in the paint and now down 3-0 this series is over. Im over the Huggins era, but if you like Huggins style basketball treat yourself to the Nuggets, theyre just like Huggins best UC teams, rugged inside D, blocking every shot they can get to and every offensive possession is based on attacking the rim and Kenyon is like the big brother out there leading them, watch Kenyon at the end of this clip getting his team in the locker room so they ont get in trouble, a thing of beauty. The Lakers are the favorites but I think they can beat them if they knock the Lakers around, theyre similar to Dallas in that they dont like getting knocked on their derriere. Mavs fans are upset over the no-call on Carmelo, but if you look at it the attempted foul was so weak, Melo did what youre supposed to do play till you hear the whistle.

GjF23fJypKY

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Happy/HappyWave.gif

TeamSelig
05-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Sorry, but that is a pretty bad call. What if Melo missed that shot? Can you imagine the uproar of Nugget fans? The ref probably didn't realize the Mavs had a foul to give and didn't want to end the game like that.

texasdave
05-10-2009, 01:42 PM
NBA officiating is really getting a black eye this postseason. But I guess that should be expected when you have a ton of different qualifiers determining what is or is not a foul. Let's see is he a superstar or a bench player? Was it intentional or not? Is it at home or on the road? Is it early in the game or late in the game? Is the game close or is it a blowout? Is it the regular season or the playoffs? Did the fouled player come down alright or land awkwardly? Did it happen underneath the basket or out top? Is the player a bad apple (think Artest or Rodman) or a solid citizen? Etc, etc, etc, blah, blah blah.

Jack Burton
05-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Still wondering how Kobe can throw an elbow to someone's throat and the player on the receiving end gets ejected. Cheap shot artist.

improbus
05-10-2009, 06:46 PM
The Lakers are a bunch of dogs. What a disappointing, weak, and pathetic group of players. Their couldn't be a team with less heart.

Unassisted
05-10-2009, 07:26 PM
if the Rockets pull this series out it will be one for the ages.They won handily today. I wouldn't count 'em out yet.

Jack Burton
05-10-2009, 09:48 PM
The Lakers are a bunch of dogs. What a disappointing, weak, and pathetic group of players. Their couldn't be a team with less heart.

Agreed.

cincrazy
05-11-2009, 08:09 AM
any doubts as to who the MVP should have been after the game in ATL tonight?

after Monday it will be 8-0 for the Cavs. There is no chance the young Hawks show up at all for game 4. LeBron and the Cavs are looking unstoppable at the moment, a chance to repeat the 83 Sixers and go "Fo, fo, fo"

Horrible news about Yao, Lakers will coast in 5 now. Should be a good WCF with Denver and LA.

Not so fast on the Lakers prediction :).

I told my buddy from Houston last night that the Rockets would steal game 4 and wouldn't go down without swinging this series. The Rockets are very tough and have a ton of heart, and I'm not sure you can say either about the Lakers right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rockets pull it off. I'm definitely not expecting it, but I don't think it would be that shocking considering how the Lakers are currently playing.

Chip R
05-11-2009, 12:45 PM
You stay classy, Mark Cuban.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4157481

Report: Cuban called Martin a 'thug'

ESPN.com news services

The NBA is reviewing a postgame confrontation between Mark Cuban and the mother of Denver Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin during which the Dallas Mavericks' owner referred to Martin as a "thug" or a "punk," according to a report in The Denver Post.

Cuban told the Denver newspaper by e-mail that as he walked off the court after the Mavericks' Saturday night loss in Dallas, he saw Martin's mother, Lydia Moore, as a fan was yelling that the Nuggets were "thugs."

"That includes your son," Cuban said to Moore, according to his e-mail to The Post.

Martin's agent, Brian Dyke, had a different take on the incident, The Post reported. According to Dyke, an unprovoked Cuban told Moore, "Your son is a punk."

Either way, NBA spokesman Tim Frank told the paper the "situation on the floor postgame is being reviewed."

According to The Associated Press, Frank said Sunday the league was still reviewing the wider postgame scene on the court, when Dallas' Josh Howard and Cuban were among those visibly upset after Carmelo Anthony hit a game-winning 3-pointer with one second to play.

The shot, which came after Antoine Wright's obvious attempt to draw a foul on Anthony, took the Nuggets from two points down to one point ahead, giving them a 106-105 victory and a commanding 3-0 lead in the second-round series.

Cuban came onto the floor near the front of the Mavericks' bench after Anthony hit the shot, before Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki took the inbounds pass and missed a long shot at the buzzer.

As he left the court after the game, Cuban slightly shoved a TV cameraman, pushing his forearm to move him aside as the owner walked by.

Martin remained on the court more than a minute after the game and could be seen making comments to Mavs players as most of his teammates had made their way to the locker room.

Martin, a Dallas native known for his physical play, was fined $25,000 by the NBA on Monday, a day after knocking Nowitzki to the court in Denver's series-opening win.

After that game, Nowitzki downplayed the contact as "just a hard playoff foul." The Mavericks All-Star has no beef with Martin, either.

"We both played hard, had some great battles and left it at that," Nowitzki said Tuesday. "We were laughing at one move that I made on the block where I had like 10 or 11 fakes and he was just standing there. He asked me what the hell I was doing."

On the play in question, Nowitzki was off-balance when Martin put a shoulder to him, causing him to stumble and then slide across the lane. Nowitzki disputed that he made the foul look worse that it was.

"I don't think I really acted on that play," he said. "It was pretty obvious."
Nowitzki doesn't think Martin will change his style because of the fine.

"K-Mart is K-Mart. He's an aggressive player, an aggressive defender," Nowitzki said. "He goes to the basket hard. I don't think that's going to be in the back of his mind."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

NJReds
05-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Sorry, but that is a pretty bad call. What if Melo missed that shot? Can you imagine the uproar of Nugget fans? The ref probably didn't realize the Mavs had a foul to give and didn't want to end the game like that.

Those were pretty weak attempts at a foul. The first was barely contact. The other you could argue that Melo was already in the process of shooting.

Hard to go crazy about that. And if Melo missed, it's game over.

Cuban should be banned from courtside for his ridiculous behavior.

MasonBuzz3
05-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Not so fast on the Lakers prediction :).

I told my buddy from Houston last night that the Rockets would steal game 4 and wouldn't go down without swinging this series. The Rockets are very tough and have a ton of heart, and I'm not sure you can say either about the Lakers right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rockets pull it off. I'm definitely not expecting it, but I don't think it would be that shocking considering how the Lakers are currently playing.

The Rockets are tremendously "tougher" than the Lakers. Game 4 was incredible, Artest was horrible and the Rockets dominated? I know Chuck Hayes is a good defender, but how can a 6'4" guy handle Pau? The Rockets will rely on defense and toughness to beat LA. I hope that they can, but at some point Kobe will move the ball and the Lakers should be able to take the series

Scrap Irony
05-11-2009, 04:24 PM
If there were any justice in this world, Chuck Hayes would be 6'10" and a perennial All Star.

Also, this just in: as Courtney Lee goes, so go the Magic. He's going to eventually be really solid, either as a sixth man or SG. For now, he's a rookie trying to get acclimated to the playoffs. But he has the talent.

Oxblood
05-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Lakers in 6

Unassisted
05-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Report: Cuban called Martin a 'thug'
I believe Cuban did this to deflect negative media and fan attention away from his team and onto himself. The Mavs lost a game they should have won. However, instead of there being two days of coverage about the team's various failures or the blown calls, there were two days of stories about what Cuban did or didn't say to Martin's mother.

Notice how this was all neatly resolved by the time the Mavs won last night, just in time for the spotlight to go back onto the team.

Cuban knows exactly what he's doing here. He's playing the media like a violin.

Chip R
05-12-2009, 03:23 PM
I believe Cuban did this to deflect negative media and fan attention away from his team and onto himself.

What?! Mark Cuban trying to call attention to himself?

VR
05-12-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm sensing the beginning of a Bulls type run with the Cavaliers. Now that they have realized defense is cool (as the Bulls did after MJ's first few years)....they are poised to take off.

cincrazy
05-12-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm sensing the beginning of a Bulls type run with the Cavaliers. Now that they have realized defense is cool (as the Bulls did after MJ's first few years)....they are poised to take off.

I agree. I see nobody beating them in the East for a while. Boston is getting old, Orlando isn't a serious threat, and the Bulls are still at least a couple of pieces away. The NBA title is the Cavs to lose from here on out IMO.

texasdave
05-12-2009, 05:40 PM
I agree. I see nobody beating them in the East for a while. Boston is getting old, Orlando isn't a serious threat, and the Bulls are still at least a couple of pieces away. The NBA title is the Cavs to lose from here on out IMO.

The Cavs don't win the NBA title this season.

Scrap Irony
05-12-2009, 09:31 PM
The NBA title is the Cavs to lose from here on out IMO.

Until LeBron goes to New York in free agency, that is.

cincrazy
05-12-2009, 09:32 PM
The Cavs don't win the NBA title this season.

Really? I think so. I can't see anyone out East beating them, and IMO the Lakers or Nuggets aren't going to be able to pull it out either. Lebron James is the ultimate difference. Nobody is going to outplay him. Not even Kobe Bryant, who has many miles racked up on those legs of his.

WMR
05-12-2009, 10:51 PM
LeBron James is just a devastating tour de force of basketball ability right now.

I see him being the deciding factor in any challenging playoff series that he faces.

texasdave
05-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Lebron is better than Kobe, but certainly not head and shoulders better. And Kobe has the better supporting cast. It certainly would be no surprise if the Cavs won. I am simply picking up a Laker vibe this season.

Jack Burton
05-12-2009, 11:42 PM
It will obviously be Kobe vs. LeBron in the finals, NBA wants it to happen.

MasonBuzz3
05-13-2009, 12:08 AM
a Cavs dynasty is definitely in the works, Lebron will be a Cav after 2010 and I would bet my 2010 paycheck on it. In fact, he may sign an extension this offseason due to the economy. But package this team, with an expiring Ben Wallace ($14M) contractnext season is poised to make a run at a Chris Bosh, Amare, or Dirk in this offseason/2010. They will be the only team in the NBA that will be able to sign Lebron and another max contract in 2010.

But back to the playoffs...Shaq is proving to be right in his comments about Van Gundy. The Magic choked away yet another game by blowing a big lead late. Why Howard never gets the ball on offense late and why he is in the game late is beyond me. The Magic have a tremendous size advantage inside with Howard and Lewis against Perk, Baby, and Michael Rapaport...get the ball inside and the series is one-sided

Scrap Irony
05-13-2009, 12:16 AM
The reason the Magic didn't win? The Celtics are smarter. That simple. No energy. Lousy shooting. Dead legs. Mounting injuries. Old stars. Unproven role players in major roles. Doesn't matter.

C's are the smartest team in the NBA.

But, without Powe and Garnett, they're also one of the least talented. Only three Celtic starters would do so on other teams in the playoffs.

MasonBuzz3
05-13-2009, 12:26 AM

umm....I will give you that the Celts are experienced and the resilient defending champs. But a team with their lack of professionalism is not the smartest or well coached

Scrap Irony
05-13-2009, 12:34 AM
Sour grapes.

Lack of professionalism? Are you serious?

Were you alive during the Piston's run as the Bad Boys? Did you happen to see the magic elbows of Bill Cartwright and Jordan pushing off on every play? Reggie Miller's leg kick to the side so he could get the and one on a jump shot; remember that one? How about Bird talking smack to Magic and Rambis going head to head with McHale?

The best professionals in the game play hard and, occasionally, play dirty. If not for these guys playing unprofessionally, there wouldn't be a profession for you to root for.

MasonBuzz3
05-13-2009, 12:44 AM
the game has changed since the 80's and early 90's. the lack of professionalism that I speak about has nothing to do with hard fouls, magic elbows, or playing hard. I am more concerned with the "thug" image that the team attempts to portray. KG sticking his chin out and yelling profanities before each game and towards the Bulls and Magic bench when he is in a suit on the bench, KG alking trash to smaller palyers but when a big his size steps up he cowars (McDyess), Eddie House throwing the ball to the scoreboard as the #2 seed Celts beat the #7 Bulls in seven games this year, the Celts running all over the court in game four of the Orlando series this year, or Ray Allen throwing an elbow to Varajeo's crotch during a blowout this year. Most classless team in the league and its not close, no sour grapes.

Scrap Irony
05-13-2009, 12:59 AM
So you're mad at Boston because they're happy when they win? And that their best player is a wuss? And a crotch-seeking elbow.

You could find such lowlights on every team in the game. Just in the playoffs, Dwight Howard has almost decapitated another player with an elbow, pushed Rondo down just for bugging him, and generally set new standards for boorish behavior.

Not to be outdone, the scrum that is the Houston roster is taking it to the Lakers because they really can't win any other way. (Rick Adelman may be the best coach no one cares about. He's been marvelous wherever he's been.) Then you've got an owner-- AN OWNER-- who gets into an altercation with the mother of the Godfather of Thugery, Kenyon Martin.

Not to mention LeBron grabbing his crotch on every dunk, Delonte West throwing up "West Side" with each jumper, and Kobe pounding his chest after each shot.

You want thugs? The NBA is thug-tastic.

And the game is the same as it was then, with the exception that very few can hit a 15-footer anymore. And everyone is huge strong.

Sour grapes.

Oxilon
05-13-2009, 03:20 PM
a Cavs dynasty is definitely in the works, Lebron will be a Cav after 2010 and I would bet my 2010 paycheck on it. In fact, he may sign an extension this offseason due to the economy. But package this team, with an expiring Ben Wallace ($14M) contractnext season is poised to make a run at a Chris Bosh, Amare, or Dirk in this offseason/2010. They will be the only team in the NBA that will be able to sign Lebron and another max contract in 2010.

The current economy effects the entire middle class and blue collar families, not the 23 year old NBA MVP. Lebron James is going to get a max deal no matter what, whether it be the Cavs, Knicks, or Brooklyn Nets. And seeing how the vast majority of LeBron's funds come from endorsements, not his NBA salary, it's even more of a reason why LeBron would bolt to NY rather stay in Cleveland.

And Cleveland won't be the only team able to offer two max contracts in 2010. The Nets and Knicks started unloading their massive contracts a couple seasons ago in order to start preparing for the 2010 class. LeBron is far from a sure thing from staying in Cleveland, atleast not betting your year's salary on it.

Scrap Irony
05-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Off Topic:
Anyone remember Fox betting his salary that Adam Dunn was destined to become an Astro once he hit free agency?

Chip R
05-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Off Topic:
Anyone remember Fox betting his salary that Adam Dunn was destined to become an Astro once he hit free agency?

Good old Fox. Of course you can't bet what you don't have unless living in your parents' basement pays a decent salary.

TeamSelig
05-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Cavs also have to re-sign Varejao, and will most likely increase their salary in a trade (IMO) to gain more talent before 2010.

MasonBuzz3
05-14-2009, 01:21 AM
mega post oncoming:

Not to mention LeBron grabbing his crotch on every dunk [QUOTE]

Mr. Bayless, if you could provide a link or two that would be nice

[QUOTE] Delonte West throwing up "West Side" with each jumper [QUOTE]

Considering Delonte is from Baltimore, I would doubt he would be "repping" the "West Side." But the NBA is full of thugs right? so all the black players do it, right?

[QUOTE]The current economy effects the entire middle class and blue collar families, not the 23 year old NBA MVP. Lebron James is going to get a max deal no matter what, whether it be the Cavs, Knicks, or Brooklyn Nets. And seeing how the vast majority of LeBron's funds come from endorsements, not his NBA salary, it's even more of a reason why LeBron would bolt to NY rather stay in Cleveland.

And Cleveland won't be the only team able to offer two max contracts in 2010. The Nets and Knicks started unloading their massive contracts a couple seasons ago in order to start preparing for the 2010 class. LeBron is far from a sure thing from staying in Cleveland, atleast not betting your year's salary on it.

the economy effects even 23 year old MVP's. Instead of raising the salary cap each year as normal, the cap will be going down in 2009 and likely 2010. Lebron, DWade, Melo and other 2010 free agents can stand to make more $ extending this year that waiting for the max contract to dip down in 2010.

what can Lebron get in NY that he hasnt gotten in Cleveland? Covers of SI, ESPN mag, Vogue, Huge Nike endorsements, maybe a museum in China...wait sounds familiar.

The Knicks and Nets have a few contracts that they will need to move by 2010. And thanks to the "Larry Bird" rules, the Cavs will be able to offer over the max contract for James and still have enough for two max contracts.

Cavs also have to re-sign Varejao, and will most likely increase their salary in a trade (IMO) to gain more talent before 2010.

he has a player option for the year at $6.5M (i believe), but is also a restricted free agent. Cavs can match any offer, there are only 3-4 teams that could offer Andy $7-8M per year, so it will be interesting what happens.

Razor Shines
05-14-2009, 04:00 AM
The reason the Magic didn't win? The Celtics are smarter. That simple. No energy. Lousy shooting. Dead legs. Mounting injuries. Old stars. Unproven role players in major roles. Doesn't matter.

But, without Powe and Garnett, they're also one of the least talented. Only three Celtic starters would do so on other teams in the playoffs.

Wrong. I think the real reason the Magic didn't win is obvious: JJ didn't get the ball enough.

texasdave
05-14-2009, 09:54 PM
One game seven coming up as the Magic make a Celtic lead disappear. Back to Boston, boys. I picked Orlando before the playoffs began so there is no reason to change now. I may eat crow, but I never eat at the Waffle House. =)

cincrazy
05-14-2009, 11:04 PM
For the life of me, I can't understand how L.A. just isn't competitive against this Houston team. No T-Mac. No Yao. No Dikembe. And for the second time in three games they are beating the crap out of the Lakers.

Razor Shines
05-15-2009, 12:22 AM
Wrong. I think the real reason the Magic didn't win is obvious: JJ didn't get the ball enough.

I told you guys.

_Sir_Charles_
05-15-2009, 09:51 AM
For the life of me, I can't understand how L.A. just isn't competitive against this Houston team. No T-Mac. No Yao. No Dikembe. And for the second time in three games they are beating the crap out of the Lakers.

It's quite simple. Regardless of who's playing for the Rockets, they ALL play defense. WELL. Chuck Hayes is a freaking defensive beast under the bucket. He's a MUCH better defender than Yao is. Not even close. With Yao out of there, it gives Scola & Landry much more room to operate under the bucket and they're both VERY effective. Landry would start for most teams. And while they don't have the height of LA, they're using their quickness advantages under the bucket or just taking them outside where both Landry & Scola are VERY proficient at knocking down jumpers.

The biggest difference in the teams is defense at the point. With or without Yao, Brooks & Lowry were going to give the Lakers fits. Once you get those waterbugs in the paint the Lakers' defense goes into shambles. It leaves wide open jumpers on the perimeter, or the defenders OVER compensate and leave Landry/Scola wide open for layups. Or even worse, they worry so much about the dump off...they don't even stop the ball and give the PG a layup.

Talent-wise, the Lakers are head & shoulders above the Rockets. But the Rockets bring the effort every night, they play much better defense every night, and they play like a team every night. Now that being said...Lakers in 7. The Rockets' bench doesn't play anywhere close to as well on the road. I'm hoping and praying they do...but I just don't see it happening. But a guy can hope, can't he? GO ROCKETS!!! :O)

~edit~ And now that people are seeing it on the big stage, is there ANY doubt in anyones mind that Shane Battier should've been FIRST team all defense? Has anybody seen better defense WITHOUT fouling this year? Not me. And he ALWAYS does this...not just in the playoffs and not just against Kobe. Always.

Scrap Irony
05-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Battier is without a doubt the one that guards Bryant best. It's fun to see the Rockets doing what they're doing, despite having Ron Artest on the team. (Though admittedly, he's been an absolute model citizen in Houston.)

Jack Burton
05-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Why is the Lakers Rockets game on Sunday, didn't they play on Thursday?

_Sir_Charles_
05-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Yes they did, and I've got no clue. If the Lakers had won on Thursday, game 1 would've been on Sunday instead. Seems odd.

improbus
05-17-2009, 08:20 AM
I'm really pumped for todays games. Orlando should have wrapped up this series about two games ago. Ray Allen has been a no show, Rondo is not shooting well, and Pierce looks like he's 36 not 31. The winner will be the team that makes their three's.

texasdave
05-17-2009, 05:07 PM
It' s looking pretty likely that the Lakers will move on. No matter how many people climb aboard the Nugget bandwagon, the Lakers are the better team. It wouldn't suprise me if the Lakers won in five.

improbus
05-17-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm really pumped for todays games. Orlando should have wrapped up this series about two games ago. Ray Allen has been a no show, Rondo is not shooting well, and Pierce looks like he's 36 not 31. The winner will be the team that makes their three's.

I hate it when I'm right....

Scrap Irony
05-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Courtney Lee turned into a solidly above average player in this series. Part of me wants to say that's because Ray Allen guarded him. (Allen can't guard a stopwatch.) Most of me, however, is pumped simply because he's a former 'Topper.

BuckeyeRed27
05-18-2009, 07:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4176082

Oops.

Revering4Blue
05-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Breaking down the Western Conference finals
by Charley Rosen
Charley Rosen is FOXSports.com's NBA analyst and author of 15 books about hoops, the current ones being The First Tip-Off: The Incredible Story of the Birth of the NBA and No Blood, No Foul.

No. 1 Lakers vs. No. 2 Nuggets

These two teams are remarkably similar: Both feature several quick and supremely athletic players who can light up the scoreboard. Both ball clubs like to play up-tempo basketball. Both rely heavily on contributions from their respective benches. And the defenses of both teams are significantly overrated.

Why the Lakers should win

Knowing that the Nuggets are armed and dangerous, the Lakers will avoid sleepwalking through ball games. No more 20-point deficits in the first quarter. No more late lapses of concentration that will dissipate hard-won double-digit leads. No more questions about L.A.'s killer instinct.

Denver's defense received unmerited praise for so easily unsaddling the Mavericks. In truth, however, too many of the Mavs were slow, predictable and insufficiently athletic — like Erick Dampier, Jason Kidd and Jason Terry. So Denver's unexpected wing double-teams plagued the Mavs and created plenty of turnovers and poor shots.

But the Lakers' overall team speed, well-rehearsed trap-releases and savvy ball-reversals should trump the Nuggets' overloaded defenses and produce open shots and layups. Just remember how Phil Jackson's Bulls sliced up the same kind of defensive tactics employed by George Karl's Sonics in the 1996 NBA Finals.

Not that the current Lakers are nearly as good as the Jordanesque Bulls, but L.A. will certainly have answers for what still is Karl's favorite defensive tweak.

With Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom, the Lakers should be able to control their defensive glass and deny the put-backs and extra shots that Denver managed against Dallas. L.A. will also apply more pressure on their offensive glass than Denver has seen so far in the playoffs.

Chris Andersen's shot-menacing whereabouts will always be on L.A.'s radar. In fact, Andersen's propensity to track the ball will be used to the Lakers' advantage by suckering him out of position and then passing the ball to an open big behind him.

Odom and Gasol can successfully attack Kenyon Martin's overly-aggressive defense, especially in L.A. Expect K-Mart to continually be in early foul trouble on the road.

Chauncey Billups' excellent man-to-man defense shouldn't bother Derek Fisher since the Lakers' point guards usually get their shots within the context of the triangle offense and are hardly ever put into iso situations.

Dahntay Jones will try to pressure Kobe Bryant but will also be tagged with early fouls. Too bad for Denver that Jones is their only player who has any chance of making life difficult for Kobe. (Kobe will utterly destroy Melo's improved but still inadequate speed-defense!) Indeed, watch Kobe repeatedly get into the paint and make good things happen for the Lakers.

Kobe's been there, done that and until proven otherwise, remains on a level of excellence that 'Melo has yet to reach.

Gasol and Bynum can both run with Nene, who will nevertheless stubbornly force at least five shots per game.

The Lakers will avoid quick shots and work the triangle for at least 20 seconds whenever they're forced to play half-court basketball. Since Denver plays defense in the starting blocks, they'll be much too eager to get out and go for them to hunker down and defend for that long.

Trevor Ariza's quickness should limit Carmelo Anthony's catches and also challenge his every dribble. For a different look, Odom's length will force 'Melo to pull in his game and also to force some shots.

The Lakers' defensive transition will likely limit the damage Denver can inflict on the run. Plus, the Lakers will undoubtedly tag the Nuggets' most proficient perimeter shooters in early offense situations.

Look for L.A.'s defenders to aggressively close out Denver's long-range bombers, to discourage 3-point shots and force them to drive the ball into the bosom of the Lakers' long-armed defense.

The Lakers' defensive scheme is much more coordinated than Denver's.

Overall, the Lakers' most significant advantage is their pressure and playoff experience.

THE LAKERS SHOULD WIN IN 7.

Why the Nuggets could win

'Melo will be able to post Ariza for profit. When their roles are switched, pressuring Ariza's handle will create turnovers galore.

On both ends of the game, Nene can out-trick Bynum and overpower Gasol. On defense, look for Nene to root Gasol out of his favorite low-post spot near the left box. Also, Gasol can be effectively two-timed once he puts the ball on the floor.

Billups is too strong for Fisher to contain — either on the drive or in the low post.

High brush-screens in early offense will free up Denver's prime-time shooters.

The Nuggets will take full advantage of the Lakers' weak screen-and-roll defense. Since Fisher's thick body makes it difficult for him to navigate solid screens, the Nuggets will employ high screen-and-rolls and screen-and-fades that involve Billups and Anthony.

Doubling Kobe with a big like Martin will cut down his vision. And if Kobe's release passes to Gasol can be anticipated, the Lakers' offense will be totally jammed up.

By banging his defender and then executing a quick reverse-spin, Nene will have a field day against either Gasol or Bynum.

Since the Lakers' defense is best against isolations, the Nuggets will emphasize rapid ball- and player-movement and limit their one-on-one play.

Because Denver's offense is slightly more explosive, they can run off a dozen points in a heartbeat while Jackson sits on his hands. In fact, the kinetic dynamism of Denver's offense could force the Lakers to slow the game down to a pace that really doesn't suit them.

Denver's bench — J.R. Smith, Anthony Carter and Chris Andersen — will wreak much more destruction than the likes of Luke Walton, Jordan Farmar, Shannon Brown and Sasha Vujacic.

Indeed, Vujacic's itchy defense is incredibly susceptible to his being back-doored.

And Walton's floor-bound defense can be relentlessly attacked as well.

To prevent the Lakers from jumping off to a good start, Denver must take only good shots, make careful passes and play solid defense.

But here's the main reason why Denver has a legitimate shot at winning the series: In the past, Kobe has tended to abandon any semblance of discipline when playing against Denver. Even though they may not be routinely matched up against each other, Kobe has a history of getting into a personalized tit-for-tat and shot-for-shot competition with 'Melo. The more points Anthony scores, the more Kobe wants to score and the more he aborts the delicate timing of the triangle offense.

If Dahntay Jones' body-up defensive tactics can aggravate Kobe to any degree, then this history is more likely to be repeated. The same for wing-doublings and an occasional confrontation by K-Mart's belligerent defense.

When/if Kobe does go off, he's certainly capable of scoring 40-plus points and winning a game single-handedly. Far more likely, however, is the probability of his teammates getting disgusted and losing their desire to bust their butts on offense and on defense.

On the court as well as off the court, discipline, patience and hard work are the elements that Denver will need to advance.

The only way they can gain and maintain this necessary focus is to totally avoid being caught up in the seductive Hollywood hoopla.

THE NUGGETS COULD WIN IN 7.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9585838/Breaking-down-the-Western-Conference-finals

BRM
05-19-2009, 01:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4176082

Oops.

Classic. This should be interesting.

BuckeyeRed27
05-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Classic. This should be interesting.

I am really curious to see what they are going to do. The WWE has a contract, but the Nuggets own the stadium. They can't move the NBA game. It's a Monday so they can't have one of the events go earlier in the day and then change the venue around for the other.

I heard Vince Mcmahon's interview on the radio this morning and it was pretty hilarious.

BRM
05-19-2009, 04:18 PM
I am really curious to see what they are going to do. The WWE has a contract, but the Nuggets own the stadium. They can't move the NBA game. It's a Monday so they can't have one of the events go earlier in the day and then change the venue around for the other.

I heard Vince Mcmahon's interview on the radio this morning and it was pretty hilarious.

The WWE is going to end up finding another facility somewhere...and Vince will sue the stadium/team owners for any damages.

What did he say in the interview?

BuckeyeRed27
05-19-2009, 04:24 PM
The WWE is going to end up finding another facility somewhere...and Vince will sue the stadium/team owners for any damages.

What did he say in the interview?

He was just calling out the Denver owner and saying he should have more confidence in his team. It was very WWE tounge in cheek style.

BRM
05-19-2009, 04:32 PM
He was just calling out the Denver owner and saying he should have more confidence in his team. It was very WWE tounge in cheek style.

I read a quote along those lines this morning. Something about "apparently the fans had more confidence in the team than the owners did."

BuckeyeRed27
05-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Lakers win Game 1 by two. Good game by LA down the stretch but Denver really gave that one away.

RBA
05-20-2009, 12:33 AM
Lakers looked a little tired. Nuggets had a few more day off. This was the best chance for the Nuggets to steal homecourt. I think the Lakers comeback a little stronger for game 2 since both teams will get the same time off now.

Jack Burton
05-20-2009, 12:38 AM
Good to see the refs still helping stern get his dream matchup. NBA won't let it be anything but Cavs/Lakers.

RBA
05-20-2009, 12:54 AM
Good to see the refs still helping stern get his dream matchup. NBA won't let it be anything but Cavs/Lakers.

:rolleyes:

texasdave
05-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Game one is the game Denver had to get. They were rested. They were probably expecting and preparing for the Lakers all along. Melo came out on fire. And still the Lakers fought back and won. I have no love but plenty of respect for Kobe Bryant. I think this series is over in five.

BuckeyeRed27
05-20-2009, 08:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4188189

Vince McMahon hit the Nuggets owner with a steel chair and took the event to Staples Center in LA.
I guess they had worked out an agreement to have the WWE on Sunday, but Vince took up LA's offer.

Hoosier Red
05-20-2009, 08:18 PM

Yeah it was great of the refs to not notice Chauncey Billups with his foot on the out of bounds line, and to call more fouls on the Lakers.

I mean seriously was there even a questionable call that went against the Nuggets or is this just griping?

cincrazy
05-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Yeah it was great of the refs to not notice Chauncey Billups with his foot on the out of bounds line, and to call more fouls on the Lakers.

I mean seriously was there even a questionable call that went against the Nuggets or is this just griping?

Agreed. In general, NBA refs are pretty craptastic. But any time a team loses a game, you hear from the other side "IT'S FIXED!" My best friend does it after every game, and it's annoying after a while. I think David Stern has better things to do than play the role of Vince McMahon.

WMR
05-20-2009, 09:49 PM
BRON BRON

Amazing the game contained within his 6'8" frame.

WMR
05-20-2009, 11:32 PM
Cavs Lose!

Magic take it from them at the end.

BuckeyeRed27
05-20-2009, 11:32 PM
Wow. Magic take Game 1 on a dagger by Lewis 106-105.

I hope these four teams can keep this up. Fantastic basketball so far in both series.

cincrazy
05-21-2009, 07:54 AM
That's a really bad loss for the Cavs last night. I still think they win the series, but it isn't going to be easy. Lebron played out of his mind, yet they still lost. That can't be a good sign. The other guys on the team have to step up. I think people are overreacting because the Cavs have looked so dominant so far and nobody expected them to lose. They're not the 90's Bulls, as some were ready to proclaim, but they're a damn good team that should rebound fairly quickly.

BRM
05-21-2009, 09:40 AM

Personally, I thought there were plenty of terrible calls and non-calls that went against both teams. Pretty standard NBA officiating. It was the same for last night's Cavs/Magic game as well.

BuckeyeRed27
05-21-2009, 11:09 AM
That's a really bad loss for the Cavs last night. I still think they win the series, but it isn't going to be easy. Lebron played out of his mind, yet they still lost. That can't be a good sign. The other guys on the team have to step up. I think people are overreacting because the Cavs have looked so dominant so far and nobody expected them to lose. They're not the 90's Bulls, as some were ready to proclaim, but they're a damn good team that should rebound fairly quickly.

I think they will win the series still too but they can't go into the offsensive mode of just letting Lebron take the ball for 20 seconds and figure it out. They are much better when they are passing the ball around. Now the role players need to hit their shots better than they did last night and Brown has to give Lebron a break to get him ready down the stretch.

Jack Burton
05-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Great game by the Nuggets last night, they are by far the better squad at this point.

RBA
05-22-2009, 10:02 AM
"far better"? Exaggerate much?

texasdave
05-22-2009, 10:05 AM
I think just plain old "better" is a bit of a stretch. But that's why they play the games. One team will move on to the finals; one team will go home. Should be interesting.

BuckeyeRed27
05-22-2009, 11:54 AM
"far better"? Exaggerate much?

Well after 2 games combined Denver has managed to score a whole point more than LA. If that doesn't scream far better I don't know what does.

Jack Burton
05-22-2009, 12:30 PM
You disagree that the Nuggets look like the better squad after these two games? Pretty much dominated the lake show on their own court.

BTW, nice attempt by Fish there at the end.

cincrazy
05-22-2009, 01:27 PM
You disagree that the Nuggets look like the better squad after these two games? Pretty much dominated the lake show on their own court.

I disagree that they dominated. What I saw was two evenly matched teams. It's not like Denver waltzed into L.A. and beat the snot out of them. I picked the Nuggets in 6, but I still wouldn't characterize the Nuggets as dominating the series.

cbowen2112
05-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Go Magic! Howard is dominating on defense, Lewis is clutch, Terkoglu is clutch, and the entire bench is clutch. When you have more than one player it is easier to win a team sport.

BuckeyeRed27
05-22-2009, 03:05 PM

Dominated is what Cleveland did to Detroit and Atlanta and what Denver did to New Orleans. There are a lot of things Denver is doing in this series and none of them involve dominating.

Jack Burton
05-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Dominated is what Cleveland did to Detroit and Atlanta and what Denver did to New Orleans. There are a lot of things Denver is doing in this series and none of them involve dominating.

But you do admit they're the better team after these first two, correct?

texasdave
05-22-2009, 06:53 PM
But you do admit they're the better team after these first two, correct?

And if the Conference finals were decided by two-game series, Denver would still be a coin flip away from going to the Finals. Being the "better" team after two games of a best-of-seven series is kinda like being the "better" team after three innings of a baseball game. Meaningless.

DTCromer
05-22-2009, 11:38 PM
The NBA really needs to abolish letting teams inbound the ball at half court after a TO.

trbl rule

Hoosier Red
05-22-2009, 11:53 PM
The NBA really needs to abolish letting teams inbound the ball at half court after a TO.

trbl rule

I agree, but how does Orlando let Lebron get within 60 feet of the ball. Seriously, would it be less effective to quintuple team him and challenge the rest of the misfit toys to make an open three pointer?

GoReds33
05-23-2009, 01:28 AM
I agree, but how does Orlando let Lebron get within 60 feet of the ball. Seriously, would it be less effective to quintuple team him and challenge the rest of the misfit toys to make an open three pointer?I think he was open because they believed Cleveland would go for two. Play to tie at home, and win on the road. Even if they were going for three, James is probably the third or fourth best option on that team for a three point basket. I can see why they would leave him partially open on the outside.

improbus
05-23-2009, 08:12 AM
And if the Conference finals were decided by two-game series, Denver would still be a coin flip away from going to the Finals. Being the "better" team after two games of a best-of-seven series is kinda like being the "better" team after three innings of a baseball game. Meaningless.
I heard Ric Bucher say something very telling about the Denver - Lakers series. Both games have been dictated and decided by the Nuggets play, not by the Lakers. In game one, they put 5'2'' Anthony Carter to inbound the ball over Lamar Odom and then K-Mart pulled a K-Mart with that dumb foul. If they don't make either of those mistakes, they win.

RBA
05-23-2009, 12:00 PM
I heard Ric Bucher say something very telling about the Denver - Lakers series. Both games have been dictated and decided by the Nuggets play, not by the Lakers. In game one, they put 5'2'' Anthony Carter to inbound the ball over Lamar Odom and then K-Mart pulled a K-Mart with that dumb foul. If they don't make either of those mistakes, they win.

If Fisher and Vujacic don't keep on throwing up bricks the Lakers win both games.

“If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we’d all have a merry Christmas”

Jack Burton
05-23-2009, 12:58 PM

trbl rule

I agree, what's the deal with that? Possibly the most nonsensical rule in all of sport. Translated to football it would be like the receiveing team getting the ball at the opponents 40 after a score, if they call a timeout.

Revering4Blue
05-23-2009, 01:25 PM
A new look at the conference finals
by Charley Rosen
Charley Rosen is FOXSports.com's NBA analyst and author of 15 books about hoops, the current ones being The First Tip-Off: The Incredible Story of the Birth of the NBA and No Blood, No Foul.

With two games in the books for each conference final, let's reset the series and determine what's going well and what needs to change the teams.

Los Angeles

So far so good

# Except for some lapses in coverage in Game 2, i.e., not tagging Linas Kleiza, the Lakers' perimeter defense has been fairly effective.

# Trevor Ariza's ball-hawking defense, long-distance dialing, and rim-rattling dunks have been revelations.

# Their offensive rebounding has been spotty but good enough to win.

# When Kobe can get good looks he usually scores.

So far no good

# Getting Kobe the ball in the attack zone was a huge problem in Game 2. The high screen/rolls and handoffs that the Lakers utilized for this purpose were ineffective — as were Kobe's rather stationary attempts to ward off Carmelo Anthony's big-bodied, and-long-armed ball denials. The Lakers need to be more diligent about running their triangle and having Kobe involved in some kind of cross-screens and weak-side action that will create more space for him.

# 'Melo is killing them in the paint. A lineup of Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, Trevor Ariza and Kobe would have the size and quickness to prevent Anthony from snatching every offensive rebound he can see. An extra advantage would be forcing Chauncey Billups to guard either Ariza or Kobe.

# Baseline rotations have to be tightened — especially since so many dive- and cross-lane cutters are open once the Lakers defenders collapse around whichever of the Nuggets' guards/wings successfully penetrate into the lane.

# Gasol has to take more care with his passes.

# Too many players have unsuccessfully tried to force too many dribbles through double-teams.

# Double-teams have to get to Anthony much quicker.

# The close-outs on perimeter shooters have to be vastly improved. Controlled jump-stops are more effective than are wild leaping and flailing arms.

# As ever, the Lakers absolutely must maintain their concentration when they hold a double-digit lead.

# Both Gasol and Bynum must produce more post-up points. How about occasionally stationing Odom in the pivot?

# Gasol needs to slow down his shot preparation and release at the stripe.

# The bigs have to hustle more in transition defense.

# The bigs have to step out when Anthony receives a handoff.

# The bigs have to locate their opposite numbers in early offense.

Hey, Phil Jackson. How about giving Trevor Ariza some more playing time? Maybe he could slow down 'Melo.

# The FBI should be called in to find Sasha Vujacic's lost jumper.

Denver

So far so good

# 'Melo can shoot a pull-up jumper whenever he wants to. Plus, he's a bear on the offensive glass, and his bump-and-grind defense against Kobe is incredible.

# Kenyon Martin is moving exceptionally well without the ball.

# Billups is playing at a peak level of efficiency on offense.

# Kleiza provided an incredible pick-me-up off the bench.

# The Nuggets' swarming defense has turned every Lakers layup into a hazardous undertaking.

# Their relentless pushing and driving the ball hoopward has paid enormous dividends.

# Nene's strength is moving Gasol two to three steps off his favorite perch near the left box. And except for an occasional quick spin, both Nene and Chris Anderson have been able to react to Gasol's other moves in time to pressure the resulting shots.

So far no good

# Switching on the Lakers' high screen/rolls and handoffs isn't working because L.A. is taking full advantage of the resulting mismatches.

# Nene has to avoid making blind spins with the ball in the paint.

# More weak-side help and pressure on the passer is needed to make fronting the Lakers' low-posters pay off.

# The bigs need to hustle back in transition defense on a more consistent basis. Their baseline rotations also have to be more consistent. And they must box out the likes of Gasol, Bynum, and Odom on every shot.

# If the bigs are forced to make radical rotations to counter the Lakers' penetrations, then all of the other Nuggets must either storm the glass or jump into passing lanes.

# 'Melo must avoid forcing his dribble into crowds.

# To discourage 'Melo from being doubled, he should be iso'd in the middle of the key.

# The Nuggets need to play with maximum energy from the get-go.

Note: The most significant improvement has to come from the refs. So far in the series, guys were blatantly blasted to the floor while they did nothing. At the same time, too many insignificant touch fouls were called.

And what about shooters stepping out of bounds while loading up their shots? Or the numerous jump-ball violations?

For the sake of perfect justice, the replay button should have been activated after just about every whistle.

Cleveland

So far so good

# After letting Zydrunas Ilgauskas get undressed by Dwight Howard in Game 1, the Cavs doubled him and also let Z attack the Defensive Player of the Year in the low post. As a result, Howard was virtually a nonfactor in Game 2.

# Except for a bad case of LeBronitis in the second half of Game 1, the Cavs successfully pushed the ball into the attack zone, and assaulted the rim for fun and profit.

# Both Ben Wallace and Anderson Varejao had their flopping acts working.

# In Game 2, Mo Williams overcame 45 minutes of forced shots by hitting several critical buckets in the endgame.

# LeBron James' drive-and-spin moves were unstoppable.

# LBJ's miraculous trey at the buzzer in Game 2 saved the Cavs from back-to-back chokes.

So far no good

# Because the Cavs couldn't sustain their defensive cohesion for the full 24 seconds on most sequences, the Magic wound up with too many open shots from beyond the arc.

# Poor interior rotations also permitted the Magic's guard/wings to penetrate the paint too easily.

# After every catch, Varejao shouldn't be allowed to dribble the ball more than once.

# The shot-happy Williams has to be reined in. On several of his too-quick shots he failed to see bigs open under the basket.

# LBJ didn't get his usual quota of superstar calls.

# Frittering away significant leads late in the game seems to be the Cavs' modus operandi. That's when they routinely commit turnovers, force the ball into traffic, and also suffer the most egregious defensive let-downs.

# What makes Mike Brown believe that Sasha Pavlovic can guard Hedo Turkoglu? Or anybody else for that matter?

# If they are to earn a win in Orlando, the Cavs must play with more patience, concentration, and poise.

Orlando

So far so good

# Late-game rallies and clutch shots were routine aspects of Orlando's game plan.

# The Magic also demonstrated their resilience and resourcefulness by pushing the Cavs to the limit in Game 2 even though Howard was a nonfactor.

Dwight Howard must step up for the Magic to win the series. (David Richard / Getty Images)

# Neither Rashard Lewis nor Turkoglu panicked when they were doubled — and usually executed appropriate passes.

# Mickael Pietrus did an admirable job in defense of LeBron.

# Anthony Johnson played with his usual grit and savvy.

# Courtney Lee could zip into the middle at any and all times.

So far no good

# The Magic need to play with a sense of contained desperation from the get-go.

# Howard has to use his strength to set up and receive the ball so that he's only one dribble away from the basket. More than one of his patty-cake dribbles attracts a crowd of defenders that confounds Howard. Also, after executing a single power-dribble, Howard can then spin baseline and move away from the incoming helpers. And when he does spin, Howard cannot lead with the ball.

# When attacking the basket within either layup or dunking range, Howard cannot bring the ball down below his waist in his shot preparation. With his size, strength, and athleticism, Howard does not need to gather himself before attacking the rim.

# Their interior defense was awful until the closing minutes of the fourth quarter.

# With only one second left at the end of Game 2, why did Stan Van Gundy assign a defender to linger anywhere in the vicinity of the inbounder, Mo Williams? A better choice would have been to sandwich LBJ with two defenders fore and aft. Did Van Gundy panic as advertised?

# As the series progresses, Howard has to be aggressive on every play, the baseline rotations have to be consistent for 48 minutes, and the ball has to be taken out of LeBron's hands on a regular basis with constant double-teams no matter how far away from the basket he may be.

# To combat LBJ's spins, a weak-side wing/guard has to drop into the lane and set up at an appropriate back-angle to either draw a charge or swipe the ball away.

# For the Magic to beat the Cavs twice in Orlando — which is what they'll have to do to win the series — they need to play the first five minutes of each game as though they were the last five minutes.

Note: As in the Western Conference finals, the refs in this series have been uneven. Indeed, their determination of what constituted a charge or a block seemed to be based on guesswork. That's because too many inferior refs are still in the mix — a shameful, frustrating and unnecessary situation.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9602954/A-new-look-at-the-conference-finals

LvJ
05-23-2009, 04:10 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2yziidj.jpg

LvJ
05-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Look at Chris Sager :bowrofl:

Better yet, look at Craig Sager.

WMR
05-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Look at Chris Sager :bowrofl:

Do you mean Craig Sager? :confused:

LvJ
05-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Do you mean Craig Sager? :confused: :o yes

RBA
05-23-2009, 11:29 PM
Denver looks like the "far better" team. :D

texasdave
05-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Denver looks like the "far better" team. :D

Yep. They "dictated" another game for 3 1/2 quarters....and lost. I am pretty sure just a play here or there and they would be up 3-0. But they aren't.

BUTLER REDSFAN
05-25-2009, 12:21 AM
http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=345943

VR
05-25-2009, 01:45 AM
http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=345943

I think that other dude had a heart attack:)

Scrap Irony
05-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Cavs are one prayer from a 3-0 hole. As is, Cleveland's supporting cast has been a no-show and LeBron can't hit a free throw when the game's on the line. And it's not like Orlando has been crazy-good at home. They've been adequate at best.

And Verajao is just as big a punk as Garnett, if not moreso. He was trying to get Howard kicked out of the game late. At least twice, he pulled Rodman-esque crap, but Howard didn't fall for it. Pulling a guy's fingers off the ball after the whistle, then pushing him. That's classy right there.

WMR
05-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Where's Mason Buzz? :D

LvJ
05-25-2009, 05:43 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/szd07o.jpg

RBA
05-25-2009, 06:15 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/szd07o.jpg

:beerme:

Jack Burton
05-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Just some terrible calls against the Magic in game 3, unacceptable. C'mon stern, make it a little less obvious.

improbus
05-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Orlando is due for a 3-20 day from three point land. The Cavs haven't shot over 32% from 3 in game yet. They will soon.

Razor Shines
05-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Chris Andersen should be ejected for that block against the backboard. For damage to NBA property and for being too awesome.

texasdave
05-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Chris Andersen should be ejected for that block against the backboard. For damage to NBA property and for being too awesome.

While he is up there he should whip out a SHAMWOW! and clean that backboard. Help his little brother move some product. :beerme:

Razor Shines
05-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Unless there was something not shown on the replay, that was a horrible tech called on Dwight Howard. It looked like all he did has pump his fists after a three point play. Which is what most guys do after a three point play.

BuckeyeRed27
05-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Orlando fans aren't going to like the no call on the inbounds play at the end of regulation but Howard pulled down Varejo. Now the play before that Lebon got bailed out more than AIG.

Scrap Irony
05-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Having watched the end of regulation in the Magic-Cavs series Game Four, I can say to all of those people who question whether the NBA has a reputation for fixing games: Hmmm.

LeBron gets the call on a ghost trip and Howard gets mugged and no call (not to mention the ridiculous technical call and James' 16--and counting-- free throws).

Cavs had 16 free throws in the 4th quarter and Orlando had 4. 16 to 4.

BuckeyeRed27
05-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Having watched the end of regulation in the Magic-Cavs series Game Four, I can say to all of those people who question whether the NBA has a reputation for fixing games: Hmmm.

LeBron gets the call on a ghost trip and Howard gets mugged and no call (not to mention the ridiculous technical call and James' 16--and counting-- free throws).

Cavs had 16 free throws in the 4th quarter and Orlando had 4. 16 to 4.

I agree that Lebron didn't get fouled.
But Orlando has shot something like 36 threes in this game and all Cleveland does is drive to the basket. No fix there. Just different styles.

Scrap Irony
05-26-2009, 11:38 PM
A phantom foul on Orlando again gets Cleveland within two. Did Jordan get these calls? Does Kobe?

Shaq never did. Neither did Kareem, nor Magic, nor Bird. You had to almost punch Chamberlain for a foul to be called.

And I'd buy the two different styles if I hadn't watched the game. Hedo drives to the hoop after a pick and roll. The dish, then, to the outside for the pop or inside to Howard. It's all about the drive. James drives to get the call, throws up a brick and complains. It's boring to watch, poor coaching, and poorer officiating.

BuckeyeRed27
05-26-2009, 11:41 PM
A phantom foul on Orlando again gets Cleveland within two. Did Jordan get these calls? Does Kobe?

Shaq never did. Neither did Kareem, nor Magic, nor Bird. You had to almost punch Chamberlain for a foul to be called.

You are kidding yourself if you don't think Jordan or Kobe didn't get calls. Shaq doesn't get late game calls because he doesn't have the ball because he can't shoot free throws.

I didn't see those other guys in their primes, but I believe the league was a little more physical then.

BuckeyeRed27
05-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Lebon's prayer falls short Orlando wins in OT 116-114 and the Magic lead 3-1. Oops

Scrap Irony
05-26-2009, 11:49 PM
You are kidding yourself if you don't think Jordan or Kobe didn't get calls. Shaq doesn't get late game calls because he doesn't have the ball because he can't shoot free throws.

I didn't see those other guys in their primes, but I believe the league was a little more physical then.

Maybe it's selective memory because James' game is so ugly, but it seems that he initiates almost all the contact and virtually every drive is a charge. Yet there is no charge call on King James. As a former coach, it hurts to see that brand of basketball being rewarded time after time.

Caveat Emperor
05-27-2009, 12:06 AM
Lebon's prayer falls short Orlando wins in OT 116-114 and the Magic lead 3-1. Oops

The Cleveland LeBrons are 1 game from elimination, and there is now a tight series between Denver and LA?

Is David Stern on suicide watch right now?

Eric_the_Red
05-27-2009, 07:46 AM
The Cleveland LeBrons are 1 game from elimination, and there is now a tight series between Denver and LA?

Exactly. I don't see a Denver/Orlando Finals drawing a major television audience, but those are the two teams playing the best basketball right now.

DTCromer
05-27-2009, 08:21 AM
The NBA's company men almost saved Cleveland and 'Bron last night.

Oxblood
05-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Exactly. I don't see a Denver/Orlando Finals drawing a major television audience, but those are the two teams playing the best basketball right now.

Have to agree with you on that.

WMR
05-27-2009, 01:37 PM
An All Points Bulletin has been issued for Mason Buzz.

Have his shoelaces been confiscated yet? :D

WVRed
05-27-2009, 03:22 PM

No, because it's a good way to say to the naysayers that the NBA is not rigged.:)

That being said, a Denver/Orlando may be the least entertaining NBA finals series to ever be played. Melo vs Dwight Howard or Kobe vs LeBron, I think I would take the latter.

BRM
05-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Melo vs Dwight Howard or Kobe vs LeBron, I think I would take the latter.

I wouldn't. I agree with Scrap. LeBron's game hasn't been all that entertaining in this series. Drive, look for a foul, whine if you don't get it, go to the line if you do. And I can't stand watching Kobe. Simply breathing on him will draw a foul. It's part of the basic problem I have with the NBA. It's star-power driven. The "name" players get the calls, what few are actually made. It can be very tough to watch at times because the officiating is so incredibly bad.

I probably won't watch any of the Finals if it's Cavs/Lakers but I'm sure I'm in the minority there.

BRM
05-27-2009, 04:16 PM
NBA rescinds technical on Howard
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard is back to two technical fouls away from suspension territory.

The NBA announced Wednesday that it has rescinded Howard's sixth technical foul of the playoffs, which he was given for taunting Anderson Varejao after a layup in the fourth quarter of the Magic's 116-114 overtime victory Tuesday night. Cleveland's forward had draped his arms around Howard in a failed attempt to stop him from scoring.

Howard's total of technicals for the postseason is thus back down to five. Players receive a one-game suspension after reaching seven technical fouls and further one-game suspensions for every other technical thereafter.

Howard and Magic coach Stan Van Gundy expressed hope after Tuesday night's win -- which gave Orlando a 3-1 lead over the heavily favored Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference finals -- that the technical would be rescinded. They argued that Howard was unfairly punished for celebrating his layup after being wrapped up by Varejao and eventually forcing the ball in with his strength.

"I wasn't taunting Varejao or anything," Howard said after the game. "My thing, it was a tough play. He grabbed me around the neck and I made the shot."

This was one of several technical fouls revoked by the league office this postseason. Denver's Kenyon Martin is the most prominent example, with three of his six playoff technicals rescinded already.

Even with the NBA's call to rescind the foul, Howard remains perilously close to a suspension, tied with Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers for the league lead. Howard has made numerous cracks about needing "duct tape" over his mouth to get through the rest of the playoffs. "I might have to get some duct tape for real," Howard said after Game 4.

Howard was forced to serve a one-game suspension in the first round after slamming an elbow into Philadelphia's Samuel Dalembert, but Orlando managed to finish off the Sixers without him in a Game 6 road win.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4210088

WMR
05-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Good. That is the correct decision. He didn't deserve a tech for that display of emotion after such a brilliant finish.

Hoosier Red
05-27-2009, 04:57 PM
No, because it's a good way to say to the naysayers that the NBA is not rigged.:)

That being said, a Denver/Orlando may be the least entertaining NBA finals series to ever be played. Melo vs Dwight Howard or Kobe vs LeBron, I think I would take the latter.

For all the conspiracy nuts: If Denver faces Orlando this year, it guarantees a small city will have won a championship 4 out of the last 7 years and 5 out of the last 11(6 if you count Detroit as I'm pretty sure American companies aren't exactly begging to be big in Detroit right now.) If they were so moved to have a big city team win every year, don't you think someone other than San Antonio would have gotten the frozen envelope.

BRM
05-27-2009, 04:59 PM
For all the conspiracy nuts: If Denver faces Orlando this year, it guarantees a small city will have won a championship 4 out of the last 7 years and 5 out of the last 11(6 if you count Detroit as I'm pretty sure American companies aren't exactly begging to be big in Detroit right now.) If they were so moved to have a big city team win every year, don't you think someone other than San Antonio would have gotten the frozen envelope.

I don't think it's as much about big cities as it is star players. The chosen ones, Kobe and LeBron, are what the NBA has been pushing. Not the teams so much.

Jack Burton
05-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Terrible charge call on Billups here in game 5.

TeamSelig
05-27-2009, 11:53 PM

oops

BRM
05-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Lots of people jumping off the Nuggets bandwagon out here. I think they are giving up on the team a bit too easily.

texasdave
05-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Here is a question for Denver fans or anybody really. Everyone knows that NBA officiating can be inconsistent with a lot of calls that leave people scratching their heads. I really don't have much of a problem with a team complaining about the officiating after a game up to a point. My question is: does saying that the Lakers bought a game victory 5 cross the line at all? I feel it does, but am just wondering if anyone else sees it that way.

The NBA has an integrity problem, as shrill and annoying as a referee's whistle. If the competitors don't trust the truth in the final score, why should we? Did the Nuggets lose to the Los Angeles Lakers 103-94, or were they robbed by referees who gave favorable calls to a marquee franchise that pumps up television ratings? Does the league want to see superstar Kobe Bryant in the NBA Finals rather than the tattooed bad boys of Denver? In an accusation that goes straight to the heart of the sport's integrity, one member of the Nuggets shook his head in disgust after the game, and could not believe how cheap it was for Los Angeles to buy a 3-2 lead in the Western Conference finals. "The Lakers paid $50,000 to win that game. They got their money's worth," said a Denver player, not wanting to be identified for fear of retribution from the league.

BRM
05-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Wow. That's a pretty strong accusation. I hope that player has remained anonymous or he's probably facing a pretty hefty fine.

RBA
05-28-2009, 08:57 PM
I blame the officials/refs for not stopping the games at the end of the 3rd Quarter. ;)

BuckeyeRed27
05-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Cleveland led by 22 in the first quarter, but now only lead by 1 at the half. They really have that oh no look in the eye. The crowd is just silent.

RBA
05-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Denver Dominates again. ;)

texasdave
05-30-2009, 05:58 PM
You would think that if it goes to a game seven the Cavs would be looking good. The momentum of two straight wins and a home crowd would be big boosts. I am not a big NBA conspiracy guy, but I will be interested to see if any questionable calls go in Lebron's and the Cavs' favor. Ideally, there should be no officiating advantage for either squad. Historically, there should be a slight home-court advantage for Orlando. A call or two late going in the favor of the road team doesn't prove anything. But it will add another controversial log to the conspiracy fire. And, although I picked the Cavs to make it to the finals, I hope the refs get it right this game.

WMR
05-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Damn, Wally with the sweet air ball.