PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Minor League Talk

Boss-Hog
04-17-2009, 06:09 PM
All,

In an effort to consolidate discussion about minor league players, effective immediately, each player will have a dedicated thread that should be used for discussion centering on that player. The reasoning behind this is simple: a new thread does not need to be started each time a prospect has a good or a bad game. Instead, all discussions about that player will be restricted to the official thread and by doing so, we reduce clutter and make it easier to find information about a player. Once an official thread is created, please do not create another one. Game updates and so forth can continue in their current format. These changes apply only to this forum. If you have any questions about this policy, please feel free to reply.

*BaseClogger*
04-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Great idea... :thumbup:

TRF
04-17-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm guessing new "Official" threads will be created if a prospect on the fringe of the radar starts tearing things up? Seems unwieldy to me Boss.

I didn't realize this forum got so much traffic that navigating and searching it became a problem, but then I'm not in the position to know. I hope it helps, just didn't realize there was a problem.

Boss-Hog
04-17-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm guessing new "Official" threads will be created if a prospect on the fringe of the radar starts tearing things up? Seems unwieldy to me Boss.

I didn't realize this forum got so much traffic that navigating and searching it became a problem, but then I'm not in the position to know. I hope it helps, just didn't realize there was a problem.
It doesn't have to be a player on the fringe - any Reds minor league is fair game.

I wouldn't say it was a problem, but we think these changes will be best in the long run.

Kingspoint
04-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Excellent idea.

Will M
04-17-2009, 07:19 PM
All,

In an effort to consolidate discussion about minor league players, effective immediately, each player will have a dedicated thread that should be used for discussion centering on that player. The reasoning behind this is simple: a new thread does not need to be started each time a prospect has a good or a bad game. Instead, all discussions about that player will be restricted to the official thread and by doing so, we reduce clutter and make it easier to find information about a player. Once an official thread is created, please do not create another one. Game updates and so forth can continue in their current format. These changes apply only to this forum. If you have any questions about this policy, please feel free to reply.

i like it. ORG should be done the same way

M2
04-17-2009, 07:31 PM
If that's the new plan I'll do it, but it seems kind of constricting and potentially frustrating.

For instance, "should Todd Frazier be promoted" is a very different topic that "should Todd Frazier play LF." A single player thread may create a lot of miscommunication. Then again maybe it won't.

klw
04-17-2009, 07:49 PM
If the thread reaches 1000 posts does it get closed in favor of a new one?

Boss-Hog
04-17-2009, 09:06 PM
If the thread reaches 1000 posts does it get closed in favor of a new one?
Yes

Boss-Hog
04-17-2009, 09:07 PM
If that's the new plan I'll do it, but it seems kind of constricting and potentially frustrating.

For instance, "should Todd Frazier be promoted" is a very different topic that "should Todd Frazier play LF." A single player thread may create a lot of miscommunication. Then again maybe it won't.
Valid point, but this system is used successfully on other similarly sized sites, so we think it will work well here, too.

Heath
04-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Valid point, but this system is used successfully on other similarly sized sites, so we think it will work well here, too.

Pardon me for piggybacking here, Boss, but if all the news of one player is going to be found in their official "thread", it will make it easier to cross reference.

The big prospects, the Fraziers, Valaikas, and Baileys of the world will be page one material. It's the Phil Gentrys of the world that will be left out.

AmarilloRed
04-17-2009, 11:48 PM
I don't know if he's tearing things up, but James Avery pitched a good game tonight despite the loss. Can we create a player thread for him? Also, how will this new system affect the minor league updates?

Danny Serafini
04-18-2009, 01:46 AM
Do we really need 8,000 different player threads clogging up the forum? I vaguely remember someone trying this on their own in the past, and the vast majority of people hated it.

camisadelgolf
04-18-2009, 01:55 AM
No, we don't need all the different player threads. We also don't need a dozen separate threads about the same player. It's a worth a shot. If it doesn't work out, we can move on.

mth123
04-18-2009, 03:39 AM

My thoughts exactly.

The minor league forum is the best part of the board. Not sure it needed changing.

Homer Bailey
04-18-2009, 04:26 AM
I pitched this idea last year and did not get much feedback.

Edit: I saw it on a Braves board and one person was responsible for updating a certain player's stats. It was called adopt a player if I recall correctly. I think it would be a great idea to have a draft on players to update everyday to help keep interest. I always read the minor league board, but rarely post, and this would be a good motivator for me to post. Thoughts?

Edit to an edit. Here is the thread I tried to start:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68739&highlight=adopt

Homer Bailey
04-18-2009, 04:42 AM
In my opinion, if we are going to do this individual thread thing, we should have a forum simply for player updates, and one for following minor league games. It's going to be hard to keep player threads on the front page if we don't seperate them IMO.

NJReds
04-18-2009, 11:20 AM
In my opinion, if we are going to do this individual thread thing, we should have a forum simply for player updates, and one for following minor league games. It's going to be hard to keep player threads on the front page if we don't seperate them IMO.

Perhaps you could just "Sticky" the ML games thread for the day? That way it would always be on top of the page.

jmac
04-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Just my opinion only but last season , this got done to a cetain point with the Joey Votto Thread ( only an example).
Personally I didnt like it as M2 said, a single thread could become cluttered when discussing two different subjects with the same player such as being promoted vs a change in position.
Unless it was a problem, I still like the "if it aint broke dont fix it " philosphy.

Homer Bailey
04-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Perhaps you could just "Sticky" the ML games thread for the day? That way it would always be on top of the page.

I like that idea.

DTCromer
04-18-2009, 01:51 PM
You're welcome.

*BaseClogger*
04-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Is it really that hard to find a thread if it isn't on the first page when they are all in exactly the same format? Go to search, and search by thread title; if we keep this system then eventually you will only get one result... :)

*BaseClogger*
04-18-2009, 03:51 PM

Edit: I saw it on a Braves board and one person was responsible for updating a certain player's stats. It was called adopt a player if I recall correctly. I think it would be a great idea to have a draft on players to update everyday to help keep interest. I always read the minor league board, but rarely post, and this would be a good motivator for me to post. Thoughts?

:thumbup:

Mario-Rijo
04-18-2009, 05:27 PM

We have done this but the problem is people don't really keep them updated. Basically not many folks have the time to be responsible for keeping a thread updated. I had Todd Frazier and I have kept his updated somewhat but a couple of times a year is no big deal for me. Problem being is a couple of times a year good enough.

Here is my "Prospect Profile" on Frazier:
Frazier Prospect Profile (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60543&highlight=Frazier+Prospect)

BuckeyeRedleg
04-19-2009, 03:53 AM
Mine for Joey Votto in 2006.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45149&highlight=Votto

Caveat Emperor
04-20-2009, 03:10 AM

I try to do that whenever I sign in, so hopefully it's something we can keep up.

Superdude
04-20-2009, 03:35 AM
This seems way more cluttered now than before. It seems like most of the player discussion goes on during the games threads anyway.

Screwball
04-20-2009, 09:07 AM
This seems way more cluttered now than before. It seems like most of the player discussion goes on during the games threads anyway.

Yep. I tried to go in with an open mind. However, I find myself hoping no one posts in the "player profile" threads so that they just kinda go away.

Honestly, I really don't see what was wrong with the previous format.

EDIT: The more I think about it, this may not be a bad idea if it is severely reduced. Limit the "player profiles" to the top 5 (or so) prospects as voted on by RedsZone, and I think it'd look and work much better.

bucksfan2
04-20-2009, 09:21 AM
I agree with M2. I didn't think there was much clutter on the minor league forum. IMO having a dedicated thread for one player may limit the talk on on a certain aspect of the player and other issues should get buried. Todd Frazier could have a huge game and that would be one topic and you also could have a thread about who will be the 3b of the future for the Reds.

IMO the old way was working so I was surprised to see a change.

princeton
04-20-2009, 10:17 AM
and if I want to talk about two players in the same post?

Danny Serafini
04-20-2009, 10:28 AM
For instance, "should Todd Frazier be promoted" is a very different topic that "should Todd Frazier play LF."

That probably sums up the problem best for me. Each of those topics gives me an idea of what is being discussed, and whether it sounds like an interesting topic to read or respond to. With all of these generic player threads, there's simply no way to tell what's being discussed, and I'm not going to bother clicking every thread every time there's a new post just to see if maybe there's something I want to read. I'll just ignore them, and I imagine I'm not the only one. It makes the forum much less useful.

Scrap Irony
04-20-2009, 10:49 AM
I agree with M2, bucksfan, and Screwball in that, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but will abide by the decisions of the higher ups.

LoganBuck
04-20-2009, 02:49 PM
I respectfully agree with Danny Serafini.

Kingspoint
04-20-2009, 04:23 PM
and if I want to talk about two players in the same post?

....what he said.

Boss-Hog
04-21-2009, 12:27 PM
All,

After reviewing the posts made in this thread, and seeing how it's turned out since the changes were implemented, I have to be honest in saying I don't care for the changes. I was definitely one of the people who was for the idea "on paper", but after seeing it in action, I agree that it was akin to trying to fix something that wasn't all that broken. As a result, effective immediately, we are "undoing" the changes mentioned in this thread and there will no longer be official player threads. My only suggestion is that it's not necessary to create a brand new thread each time a prospect has a good or bad outing; the discussion would better be continued in the Updates thread or an existing thread discussing that player's performance.

I have renamed some of the active "official" player threads to more appropriate names and deleted others that weren't active. If you have any questions, please let me know.

membengal
04-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks, boss.

LoganBuck
04-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks

Scrap Irony
04-21-2009, 01:08 PM
This is one of the many reasons I love this site.

Red Leader
04-21-2009, 01:11 PM
This is one of the many reasons I love this site.

So true. It's a beautiful thing when the site owners admit they might have made a mistake and reverse course to please the audience, rather than trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.

Great job, as always, Boss. Your open dialog with the members of this site is what will continue to make this place a great place to visit.

bucksfan2
04-21-2009, 01:15 PM

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks Boss. :thumbup:

I didn't like the new changes, but I didn't wanna say anything.

Danny Serafini
04-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Thank you :)

redsmetz
04-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Visually it's much easier to look at something and have a sense of whether it might interest you. The way it was set up sort of reminded me of generic groceries - it all looked the same; no pizazz.

Homer Bailey
04-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Boss.... What about doing a sub forum with the player updates?

Boss-Hog
04-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Boss.... What about doing a sub forum with the player updates?
I considered that, but I don't think you should have to click on a sub-forum just to discuss a player - too many unnecessary clicks, IMO.

UKFlounder
04-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Good stuff. It's really cool that you're willing to undo changes instead of being stubborn about it. This particular forum is especially enjoyable. I like that you are willing to try something new to try to make this site better (if that's even possible).

mth123
04-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Good stuff. It's really cool that you're willing to undo changes instead of being stubborn about it. This particular forum is especially enjoyable. I like that you are willing to try something new to try to make this site better (if that's even possible).

remdog
04-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Good and pragmatic decision, Boss. :thumbup:

Rem