PDA

View Full Version : Should Adam Rosales be brought up to the Reds?

Boss-Hog
04-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Please use this thread for any discussion relating to Adam Rosales.

mary
04-18-2009, 04:39 PM
another home run. Rosales is turning it on. What's in his future?

dougdirt
04-18-2009, 06:07 PM
another home run. Rosales is turning it on. What's in his future?

Hopefully Cincinnati sometime soon.

AmarilloRed
04-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Rosales is playing third at Louisville. Edwin may or may not make it as a third baseman.I'd like to know how his defense is at third, because I'm hoping he could start at third next year. He may be more than a bench player.

Scrap Irony
04-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Defensively, he's not horrible. Quick to the ball, good baseball IQ, and a very good arm. His bat isn't horrid either. He's a nice chip to have, really. A decent prospect likely to put up league average numbers at the hot corner.

As a supersub, a la Tony Phillips from 15 or twenty years ago, Rosales would shine, IMO. He's got a great bat for SS or 2B, but questionable range. That would play as a stop-gap or in an offense that struggles to score runs.

I could imagine him in Cincinnati as part of a semi-platoon at SS, 3B, 2B, and 1B, getting 350 or so at-bats with league average or slightly better offense.

He's basically Keppinger with a better arm and range.

nate
04-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Defensively, he's not horrible.

So you're saying he'll fit right in?

:cool:

camisadelgolf
04-19-2009, 01:38 PM
He's a good guy to have due to his versatility because his bat is only average. Last year, he walked only 23 times in 503 plate appearances, so he's not someone I would count on as an everyday player.

OnBaseMachine
04-19-2009, 01:50 PM
BAKER ON ROSALES:Adam Rosales is hitting .387 with four home runs at Louisville. The Reds are struggling as a team as far as hitting. Is it time to consider calling up Rosales?

"Where would he play?" Baker said. "Plus, he's down there to improve his game. Hitting is only one part. . . He's doing what we think is best for him.

"He'll be here. I told him to slow down the game. I don't want him to slow but slow down the game."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3af21b9b3c-3b8c-4606-9d2e-9d9158385d9b&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

camisadelgolf
04-19-2009, 01:55 PM
I saw Rosales playing 2B not long ago and thought he looked a little uncomfortable. It seems to me that the Reds are trying to increase his versatility by making him more than just a corner player.

GIDP
04-19-2009, 02:05 PM
BAKER ON ROSALES:Adam Rosales is hitting .387 with four home runs at Louisville. The Reds are struggling as a team as far as hitting. Is it time to consider calling up Rosales?

"Where would he play?" Baker said. "Plus, he's down there to improve his game. Hitting is only one part. . . He's doing what we think is best for him.

"He'll be here. I told him to slow down the game. I don't want him to slow but slow down the game."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3af21b9b3c-3b8c-4606-9d2e-9d9158385d9b&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com
heh I dont know maybe anywhere you need him to?

Orenda
04-19-2009, 05:04 PM
He's a good guy to have due to his versatility because his bat is only average. Last year, he walked only 23 times in 503 plate appearances, so he's not someone I would count on as an everyday player.

He did walk 68 times the year before that though,

Benihana
04-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Defensively, he's not horrible. Quick to the ball, good baseball IQ, and a very good arm. His bat isn't horrid either. He's a nice chip to have, really. A decent prospect likely to put up league average numbers at the hot corner.

As a supersub, a la Tony Phillips from 15 or twenty years ago, Rosales would shine, IMO. He's got a great bat for SS or 2B, but questionable range. That would play as a stop-gap or in an offense that struggles to score runs.

I could imagine him in Cincinnati as part of a semi-platoon at SS, 3B, 2B, and 1B, getting 350 or so at-bats with league average or slightly better offense.

He's basically Keppinger with a better arm and range.

I feel like the Reds now have three of these exact players in Louisville- Rosales, Valaika, and now Sutton. All three of them can play passable defense at almost any position, and all three of them are older prospects that have proven they can rake in the minor leagues. One of them will probably be packaged in a trade sometime this year, and the other two should play well in a utility role for years to come.

mth123
04-20-2009, 11:12 AM
I feel like the Reds now have three of these exact players in Louisville- Rosales, Valaika, and now Sutton. All three of them can play passable defense at almost any position, and all three of them are older prospects that have proven they can rake in the minor leagues. One of them will probably be packaged in a trade sometime this year, and the other two should play well in a utility role for years to come.

Agree.

Sutton is a switch hitter who hits better from the left side. Since EdE and Phillips are right handed, he's a logical fit on the roster.

Orenda
04-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Thats a good point, but really I'd like to see them both on the roster. The reds have 2 guys with virtually the same skill set at ss with Janish and Gonzalez, they also have Hairston and McDonald in the outfield who mirror each other although Hairston is more proven. If they sent down either Janish or cut Gonzo and then sent down McDonald and called up Rosales and Sutton they would add two guys with more pop, a little speed and plenty of versatility in the infield.

Scrap Irony
04-20-2009, 03:41 PM
There are a lot of "doubles" in the organization:

CF Heisey/ Stubbs
OF Cumberland/ Henry
3B Francisco/ Soto
1B Alonso/ Votto
LF Frazier/ Dorn
MI Sutton/ Valaika
SS Cozart/ Janish

On another note, I (again) saw Valaika play Sunday and his glove is more than capable. (Again.) Why anyone would insist he can't play SS is beyond me. He made a play in the hole that only true SS can make, ranging far to his backhand side, then rifling a throw to nip Andrew McCoutchen (IIRC). Maybe Janish makes the same play, maybe Cozart.

Gonzalez doesn't, for sure.

Valaika is a true SS, friends and neighbors.

schmidty622
04-20-2009, 04:12 PM

CF Heisey/ Stubbs
OF Cumberland/ Henry
3B Francisco/ Soto
1B Alonso/ Votto
LF Frazier/ Dorn
MI Sutton/ Valaika
SS Cozart/ Janish

On another note, I (again) saw Valaika play Sunday and his glove is more than capable. (Again.) Why anyone would insist he can't play SS is beyond me. He made a play in the hole that only true SS can make, ranging far to his backhand side, then rifling a throw to nip Andrew McCoutchen (IIRC). Maybe Janish makes the same play, maybe Cozart.

I hope so, because the big club could sure use one about now.

Benihana
04-20-2009, 04:39 PM

CF Heisey/ Stubbs
OF Cumberland/ Henry
3B Francisco/ Soto
1B Alonso/ Votto
LF Frazier/ Dorn
MI Sutton/ Valaika
SS Cozart/ Janish

I don't think Frazier has much in common with Dorn, at least I hope not (I hope he's more than a platoon player.)
I hope that Cozart can hit better than Janish.
I hope that Soto has more discipline than Francisco.

But other than that, I think your point is well taken.

PhillipsHead
04-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Gonzalez needs to put up or shut up right now. If he continues to not hit, I think Rosales needs to replace him for the time being.

Kingspoint
04-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Rosales is on fire!

_Sir_Charles_
04-20-2009, 11:56 PM
I agree that Rosales belongs with the big club, but Janish isn't swinging a bad stick either. I'm in favor of sitting Gonzo for a bit and letting Paul run with it for a while. If Edwin continues to struggle (and Brandon) then Rosales should be here to fill in there. He can also play first and we currently have NOBODY to back up Joey on the big club (unless you count Hernandez's one game in ST as being a viable backup). McDonald or Nix down.

ian_madden
04-21-2009, 01:04 AM
EE has only 1 error. He is not swinging at bad pitches, and is getting on base. I realize that that could be because there is no one behind him, but he is getting on base. I like this Rosales kid, I felt that he should have made the club along with Gomes. Rosales is the future. We have been waiting for EE to break out for years, once they replace BP with EE in the 4 hole we will see some more rbi's come in, from both players.

ian_madden
04-21-2009, 01:08 AM

I like this idea. Lets say the this team starts playing to where they SHOULD be playing, below 500, I say move one of them with Rhodes and get a stud back. We are stock piling this great young talent, but we must make some decisions. Just not today.:D

bucksfan2
04-21-2009, 09:17 AM

I wonder if the Reds feel like they made a mistake in signing Phillips long term? Phillips is one of my favorite Reds players but his name isn't Utley. The Reds have shown that second base is an easy position to develop players to play. They may not have the overall skills that Phillips has but they may be a better value. Rosales and Valaika may be better overall hitters with a little less power and a little less range.

TRF
04-21-2009, 10:28 AM
I agree that Rosales belongs with the big club, but Janish isn't swinging a bad stick either. I'm in favor of sitting Gonzo for a bit and letting Paul run with it for a while. If Edwin continues to struggle (and Brandon) then Rosales should be here to fill in there. He can also play first and we currently have NOBODY to back up Joey on the big club (unless you count Hernandez's one game in ST as being a viable backup). McDonald or Nix down.

In this scenario, who goes down so Rosales can play 3B or 2B for the Reds? I'm a Rosales fan, but there is no room currently on the 25 man roster for him because Hairston isn't going anywhere, and Hairston is who is blocking him, not Janish, not McDonald.

dougdirt
04-21-2009, 11:22 AM
In this scenario, who goes down so Rosales can play 3B or 2B for the Reds? I'm a Rosales fan, but there is no room currently on the 25 man roster for him because Hairston isn't going anywhere, and Hairston is who is blocking him, not Janish, not McDonald.

I agree. I had this conversation the other day with someone. At best he is a 3rd option at shortstop and at best a backup behind Edwin, Phillips and Votto at the other spots who have no injury concerns and aren't going to be finding the bench any time soon. On a different team with a different roster, Rosales is in the majors and maybe even finding legit playing time. On this Reds team with this roster, it just sucks that there isn't room for him really.

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2009, 12:35 PM
If I'm the Reds, I would start playing Rosales in left field every day. The Reds desperately need some offense, especially in LF where Jerry Hairston Jr. is currently looking like the pre-2008 Hairston. My plan would be to play Rosales in left field for the next couple weeks in Louisville, and if he shows he can handle it, I'd bring him up and platoon him with Chris Dickerson in left field.

Scrap Irony
04-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Whither Dorn?

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Whither Dorn?

Play him at first base, DH, and maybe some right field occasionally.

HokieRed
04-21-2009, 12:51 PM
I understand the "Rosales is blocked" argument but on a team with as poor an offense as the current Reds, I think you just have to make space if Rosales continues to put up the numbers he's currently putting up at L'ville. I'm with OBM that left field is the place to do this, though I'd also like to see it made clear that neither EE nor BP has a lock on their current position or starter status.

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Rosales is starting to bloom
Bats infielder among league leaders in hitting

By Michael Grant mgrant@courier-journal.com April 21, 2009

Adam Rosales is a cheerful, energetic sort.

So when he had the chance to punctuate a special baseball moment by talking to Albert Pujols, he jumped at the chance. Even though it was a brief, one-sided conversation.

Rosales picked up his first major league RBI last September when he singled for the Cincinnati Reds against the St. Louis Cardinals. That's when Rosales came face-to-face with the best hitter in the National League.

"I was excited," said Rosales, 25. "I said, 'What's up?' to him. He didn't reply. I didn't try to say anything else. I just kept to myself. But it was cool being around him, just watching him take batting practice, watching him playing the game. I don't know. Maybe I didn't raise my voice."

Rosales will likely have more chances to reintroduce himself in the big leagues. If he continues his torrid start and keeps showing patience at the plate, his next opportunity might be soon.

The Louisville Bats' infielder entered last night seventh in the International League in batting average (.387), first in slugging percentage (.806), second in home runs (four), sixth in runs (10), sixth in RBIs (10) and eighth in total bases (25).

His fast start has drawn praise from Cincinnati farm director Terry Reynolds, who said in an e-mail that Rosales "has the ability to play at the major league level now."

In 18 games with the Reds last season, Rosales hit just .207.

In spring training with the club, he batted .260 with two home runs.

"I've matured as a hitter," said Rosales, a 12th-round draft choice out of Western Michigan in 2005. "I'm picking my pitch to hit and being a little more patient. I'm making adjustments quicker."

Louisville manager Rick Sweet said there is "no comparison" between Rosales now and when he hit .287 with 11 home runs and 58 RBIs with the Bats last year.

"He is a totally different player," Sweet said. "Last year at this time he was hitting under .100 and was struggling for the first 6-8 weeks. He hit well by the end of the year. He had a great spring training. It's carried over. He's much more controlled on the balls he swings at. He (used to) overswing, chase a lot of balls out of the zone. He makes pitchers pitch to him now."

Rosales, the Reds' No. 29 prospect according to Baseball America, has yet to settle on a position.

This year he has started six games at third base and two at second. Last year he also saw action at first base and shortstop. Reynolds said that Rosales "is accomplished on the left side of the diamond" but "can play all four infield positions."

Sweet said he wouldn't be surprised if Rosales plays some outfield. But for Rosales to make it in the majors, Sweet said the Type-A personality slugger needs to calm down.

"His enthusiasm gets him in trouble," he said. "He gets out of control. It has to be a controlled aggression. He makes too many mistakes: base-running, fielding. It's not always something the general fan would see."

Rosales said he "definitely" understands the criticism. But can you blame the Chicago native for being eager to show that he's ready for the major leagues? The childhood Cubs fans could see Pujols again soon.

"You get the taste, and you want more," Rosales said. "You realize that you can play. The hunger is always going to be there. I've had it since I was four."

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090421/SPORTS07/904210430/1002/SPORTS/Rosales+is+starting+to+bloom

dougdirt
04-21-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm with OBM that left field is the place to do this, though I'd also like to see it made clear that neither EE nor BP has a lock on their current position or starter status.

Thats certainly your thinking, but I bet WJ and DB have the exact opposite stance as you do.

Kc61
04-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Have to say that fans may be way ahead of themselves here. It's good to get young players from the farm to the Reds when ready and an available spot. Dickerson, Herrera, Janish and Hanigan have been added this year. Votto, Bruce, Cueto, last.

But a guy like Rosales shouldn't be replacing regulars on this team. Even Hairston -- he may be off slowly but he's a major league outfielder. I'm not sure Rosales is even a minor league outfielder, and two weeks out there won't change it.

Putting young players out of position, force feeding them into unfamiliar roles, is not the way to have a winning ballclub.

Rosales main role will be as a non-shortstop infield utility infielder. Like a Keppinger. And Rosales will occasionally play elsewhere, like SS or outfield. And if he does real well, he will start to get regular playing time.

He'll get his turn. This isn't a Jay Bruce, who you want up to the bigs ASAP. Rosales' turn will come, this year I'm sure, and hopefully he'll do well.

camisadelgolf
04-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Perfectly said, Kc61. I like Rosales and think he could be an effective Major Leaguer some day, but it's not like he's so rich in talent that you want him taking away at-bats from proven players with a future with the team.

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Perfectly said, Kc61. I like Rosales and think he could be an effective Major Leaguer some day, but it's not like he's so rich in talent that you want him taking away at-bats from proven players with a future with the team.

Jerry Hairston Jr. isn't a proven player and doesn't have a future with the team, IMO.

BRM
04-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Jerry Hairston Jr. isn't a proven player and doesn't have a future with the team, IMO.

Oh, he's proven alright.

dougdirt
04-21-2009, 04:13 PM

Until he shows over more than a weeks worth of time that he can't hit in a Reds uniform, he deserves the time.

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Until he shows over more than a weeks worth of time that he can't hit in a Reds uniform, he deserves the time.

Normally I would chalk Hairston's early struggles up to small sample size, but his situation is different than someone like, say, Joey Votto. Hairston has never hit in the majors except for those 261 atbats last season. I think last season was just a career year. I'd love to be wrong though.

Benihana
04-21-2009, 07:11 PM
I understand the "Rosales is blocked" argument but on a team with as poor an offense as the current Reds, I think you just have to make space if Rosales continues to put up the numbers he's currently putting up at L'ville. I'm with OBM that left field is the place to do this, though I'd also like to see it made clear that neither EE nor BP has a lock on their current position or starter status.

Claiming that BP's starter status should be in doubt is ludicrous. Whether you like his attitude or not, the guy is an All-Star 2B and has proven himself over the last three seasons. Unless he's under the mendoza line at the break, he's starting on this squad.

mth123
04-21-2009, 07:20 PM
OK, I'll be the first to go there.

If Jay Bruce layoff doesn't get him going, would anybody consider sending him down for a couple weeks to get going? Rosales could get an audition in the meantime while the team takes a longer look at McDonald and Nix. When Bruce starts hitting one of those guys goes or Rosales goes back down.

Beyond that, Hairston or Gonzo will hit the DL at some point, Rosales should be the first guy up.

camisadelgolf
04-21-2009, 07:37 PM
I think Bruce needs confidence more than anything right now. I wouldn't be opposed to sending him down if he continues to struggle.

dougdirt
04-21-2009, 07:39 PM
I think Bruce needs confidence more than anything right now. I wouldn't be opposed to sending him down if he continues to struggle.

Always a fine line to walk.... will sending him down take away what confidence he has left or will he go down and find his swing and bring it all back? Very fine line at times.

OnBaseMachine
04-21-2009, 07:46 PM
There is no way I would send Jay Bruce down. He'll be fine, IMO. I expected some struggles out of him this year. 2010 will be his breakout season, IMO.

Benihana
04-21-2009, 08:05 PM
There is no way I would send Jay Bruce down. He'll be fine, IMO. I expected some struggles out of him this year. 2010 will be his breakout season, IMO.

I still think he hits 30 home runs this year.

camisadelgolf
04-22-2009, 05:36 AM
Always a fine line to walk.... will sending him down take away what confidence he has left or will he go down and find his swing and bring it all back? Very fine line at times.
That's a very good point. It's just that he's been so cold for such a long time that I think a drastic change could do him a lot of good at some point if he doesn't turn things around. Then again, maybe he's one of those Sean Casey-types in that he might need to struggle for about a year before he gets absolutely scorching-hot for about a year.

mth123
04-22-2009, 05:39 AM
OK, I'll be the first to go there.

If Jay Bruce layoff doesn't get him going, would anybody consider sending him down for a couple weeks to get going? Rosales could get an audition in the meantime while the team takes a longer look at McDonald and Nix. When Bruce starts hitting one of those guys goes or Rosales goes back down.

Beyond that, Hairston or Gonzo will hit the DL at some point, Rosales should be the first guy up.

Hopefully the layoff did him some good and he'll be a better hitter from here out. A couple hits including a homer is a nice start.

princeton
04-22-2009, 09:18 AM
you're talking to yourself.

BTW, guys like Rosales don't "need" to be brought up. He's not a prospect; he'll have to wait until somebody gets hurt or gets released, at which point whether he's hot or not, he'd darn well better produce in his limited action.

may not be fair, but such is life

HokieRed
04-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Claiming that BP's starter status should be in doubt is ludicrous. Whether you like his attitude or not, the guy is an All-Star 2B and has proven himself over the last three seasons. Unless he's under the mendoza line at the break, he's starting on this squad.

I don't have any problems at all with BP's attitude. My problem is with his .689lifetime OPS against righthanders (a figure that should probably be considered somewhat inflated since part of it has been achieved in GABP). As a 7th or preferably 8th hitter carried primarily for his defense, he'd be fine. Considering him a star and All-star seems to me unjustifiable, though of course I hope he has a great season as that will be good for the team. But I see no reason at all why anyone on this team other than Votto and Bruce should be regarded as a lock for everyday status.

HokieRed
04-22-2009, 02:32 PM
4 hits today, BA now .409 according to Bats' announcer.

BRM
04-22-2009, 02:34 PM
4 hits today, BA now .409 according to Bats' announcer.

Incredible. Great start to the season for Adam.

camisadelgolf
04-22-2009, 03:08 PM
I don't have any problems at all with BP's attitude. My problem is with his .689lifetime OPS against righthanders (a figure that should probably be considered somewhat inflated since part of it has been achieved in GABP). As a 7th or preferably 8th hitter carried primarily for his defense, he'd be fine. Considering him a star and All-star seems to me unjustifiable, though of course I hope he has a great season as that will be good for the team. But I see no reason at all why anyone on this team other than Votto and Bruce should be regarded as a lock for everyday status.
His .689 OPS against RHP may seem inflated from playing at GABP, but it also includes the time he struggled while playing for the Indians. Since joining the Reds, his OPS is .716 against RHP and .897 against LHP. If you combine that with his spectacular defense, he's a very good second baseman, and I don't think the Reds should be looking for excuses to replace him just yet.

OnBaseMachine
04-22-2009, 03:44 PM
After four hits today, Rosales is hitting .409/.460/.750 - 1.210 with seven extra-base hits in 44 atbats. He's also walked five times and stolen two bases in two attempts. I hope we see him in Cincinnati soon.

nate
04-22-2009, 03:54 PM
After four hits today, Rosales is hitting .409/.460/.750 - 1.210 with seven extra-base hits in 44 atbats. He's also walked five times and stolen two bases in two attempts. I hope we see him in Cincinnati soon.

I do too, but where's he gonna play?

BRM
04-22-2009, 03:55 PM

It would be nice if he could play LF.

Kc61
04-22-2009, 04:08 PM
It would be nice if he could play LF.

Bring Rosales up, send down Macdonald, tell him he'll be back soon but they need room for Rosales.

Then play Rosales for one series at second base and the next series at third base. And tell the current inhabitants of those positions that if they continue hitting .143 and .175, respectively, Rosales will get their positions for the indefinite future.

BRM
04-22-2009, 04:10 PM
I hear ya Kc but there is literally zero chance Brandon Phillips loses his spot at 2B. Rosales may spell him from time to time but BP will get all the time in the world to snap out of his funk.

HokieRed
04-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Bring Rosales up, send down Macdonald, tell him he'll be back soon but they need room for Rosales.

Then play Rosales for one series at second base and the next series at third base. And tell the current inhabitants of those positions that if they continue hitting .143 and .175, respectively, Rosales will get their positions for the indefinite future.

Be careful, KC, I've already made these suggestions and been told they can't be taken seriously.

OnBaseMachine
04-22-2009, 04:14 PM

Left field vs left handed pitchers.

BRM
04-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Left field vs left handed pitchers.

That's where he's most needed but can he play the OF?

OnBaseMachine
04-22-2009, 04:25 PM

He's a solid athlete. I bet he could be a decent defender out there. Rick Sweet was quoted in the Louisville paper this week as saying that he wouldn't be surprised if Rosales started getting some playing time in the outfield soon.

Kc61
04-22-2009, 04:27 PM
I hear ya Kc but there is literally zero chance Brandon Phillips loses his spot at 2B. Rosales may spell him from time to time but BP will get all the time in the world to snap out of his funk.

I like Phillips. I like EE. But they don't own second and third base, we're not talking Rogers Hornsby and Pie Traynor.

Reds have too many outfielders and should have an additional reserve infielder with a bat. And let him push these starters if they don't hit.

At least Phillips is a plus defender at his position.

And Rosales is not an outfielder, no need to make him one. Get him up as another reserve infielder and use him.

Benihana
04-22-2009, 05:01 PM
I like Phillips. I like EE. But they don't own second and third base, we're not talking Rogers Hornsby and Pie Traynor.

Reds have too many outfielders and should have an additional reserve infielder with a bat. And let him push these starters if they don't hit.

At least Phillips is a plus defender at his position.

And Rosales is not an outfielder, no need to make him one. Get him up as another reserve infielder and use him.

Phillips owns 2B on this team. Unless, of course, he moves to SS.

I agree on Rosales being an infielder, not an outfielder.

mth123
04-22-2009, 07:45 PM

I don't think LF will be a problem, but the against LHP part may be. He's been better vs RH pitching. I play him at 2B and 3B against tough RH pitchers when Phillips and EdE need a day off. I'd probably spot him in at SS once in a while as well and let him play 1B when Votto sits. Plenty of places to play him - maybe not as a regular but as a 20 to 25 PA/week guy.

AmarilloRed
04-23-2009, 01:15 AM
I think you let Rosales play a IF utility role this year in Cincinnati. I think if he shows he can hit major league pitching, you let him start at 3B.

TRF
04-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Again, McDonald isn't the problem. Janish isn't the problem. JHJ is the guy blocking Rosales.

UPRedsFan
04-23-2009, 01:11 PM

Tough to send down MacDonald who has produced when he's played. Tough to send Nix as theonly lefty bat off the bench and he has produced a couple times in pinch hit roles. But we do need an option to spell EE, BP and Votto eventually. I'd prefer to send Darnel down instead of Nix. Need to do it now because EE and BP could use a game off to regroup. Look what that did for Jay Bruce!

Kc61
04-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Tough to send down MacDonald who has produced when he's played. Tough to send Nix as theonly lefty bat off the bench and he has produced a couple times in pinch hit roles. But we do need an option to spell EE, BP and Votto eventually. I'd prefer to send Darnel down instead of Nix. Need to do it now because EE and BP could use a game off to regroup. Look what that did for Jay Bruce!

So Phillips started to hit a little bit and continues to excel in the field.

Rosales plays third. Rosales is on fire. EE went hitless again today and made an error. I don't know how the roster gets manipulated but the conclusion seems obvious to me.

membengal
04-23-2009, 05:16 PM
In a different universe, they contemplate sending EE to AAA for awhile. But with that contract he just signed, like Alex G, he ain't going anywhere. So either they boot Nix or McDonald from the team, or Rosales is stuck.

BRM
04-23-2009, 05:25 PM
In a different universe, they contemplate sending EE to AAA for awhile. But with that contract he just signed, like Alex G, he ain't going anywhere. So either they boot Nix or McDonald from the team, or Rosales is stuck.

My guess is nothing happens before the end of May. Just a hunch.

Kc61
04-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Some folks on here love EE, maybe because he is young, talented and can take a walk. But he's prone to long slumps and his defense, well, we all know about it.

I hope he starts to hit because this is becoming quite prolonged and unhelpful. And it raises an issue because the guy on fire at AAA happens to play that very position.

Kingspoint
04-23-2009, 08:54 PM
My guess is nothing happens before the end of May. Just a hunch.

Unless there's an injury, there's just no reason to panic about anyone's first 100 AB's of the season.

Captain Hook
04-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Come the end of April if Rosales is still hitting around .400 he should be brought up.Especially if EE, Gonzo and Phillips are all still batting under .200.I don't care who you are when you hit that poorly for an entire month there should not only be consideration made to sit that person it should probably be done.

For the record I really like all of these guys and in Gonzos case I believed that it was a must that he could stay healthy this season for the Reds to have success.Now I all most think that its a must that he sits.

osuceltic
04-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Rosales reminds me of Chris Sabo -- not a super prospect, but someone who shows signs of being a solid starting third baseman. Hard-nosed, solid hitter, solid with the glove.

EE on the other hand, reminds me of Willie Greene. He's better than Willie, but we keep waiting for something that I think isn't there. Same with Willie.

But because of the circumstances, they're going to give EE a lot of rope.

Degenerate39
04-24-2009, 10:39 AM
I give him until the end of the month. If Edwin isn't hitting and Rosales still is then I bring him up and send McDonald down. I'd bench Edwin for a week and let Rosales play 3rd base. Then go from there

princeton
04-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Rosales reminds me of Chris Sabo -- not a super prospect, but someone who shows signs of being a solid starting third baseman. Hard-nosed, solid hitter, solid with the glove.

I agree that the parallels with Sabo are very strong-- mostly because of age at the time that Rosales might be called up, and because of how stupidly Sabo would run the bases. Reds weren't sure that Sabo would ever show enough power for the position, too.

But because of the circumstances, they're going to give EE a lot of rope.

"circumstances" meaning that he can hit the tar out of the ball? now there's a conspiracy for you.

osuceltic
04-24-2009, 01:26 PM
"circumstances" meaning that he can hit the tar out of the ball? now there's a conspiracy for you.

Wasn't suggesting a conspiracy. I'm suggesting they have a lot of time and money invested in EE. If they bench him or send him down, his value will plummet and they will be losing a potential asset. If they try to trade him now, his value will be low -- and most teams won't be ready to trade anyway. So they will give him every chance between now and June/July to right the ship. And I expect he will.

At his best, EE is a good hitter. I think saying he can "hit the tar out of the ball" is a little over the top, but whatever. He also is the worst defensive third baseman in the majors.

In other words, there are a lot of "circumstances" to consider.

Will M
04-24-2009, 03:46 PM

funny. i was just about to post this. Hustles. good D. a little speed & a little power. late (age 26) to the bigs.

Oh for the days of Sabo & Larkin on the left side of the infield. great defense.

HokieRed
04-25-2009, 03:50 PM
I think the question has ceased to be "should" and become only when.

Kc61
04-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Isn't it obvious that Rosales needs to play some games at 3B about now?

camisadelgolf
04-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Rosales is a future utility player, and he has already spent a lot of time at third base. I think the Reds send him down to work on things like turning the double play.

Kc61
04-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Rosales is a future utility player, and he has already spent a lot of time at third base. I think the Reds send him down to work on things like turning the double play.

Oh, I know Rosales doesn't need more AAA time at third.

I meant that he should play some 3B for the major league club. Now.

camisadelgolf
04-25-2009, 04:39 PM

AmarilloRed
04-26-2009, 01:11 AM
Jeff Keppinger hit .368 in 228 Abs in Louisville in 2007. I like the hot start Rosales is on, but
we need to see more consistancy over a longer period of time before we promote him to the MLB club.

dougdirt
04-26-2009, 01:48 AM
Jeff Keppinger hit .368 in 228 Abs in Louisville in 2007. I like the hot start Rosales is on, but
we need to see more consistancy over a longer period of time before we promote him to the MLB club.

In his last 331 AB's going back to June of last year in AAA Rosales is hitting .347/.389/.595 with a 5% walk rate and a 14% strikeout rate. 30 doubles, 5 triples and 14 HR over that time.

Will M
04-26-2009, 12:08 PM
In his last 331 AB's going back to June of last year in AAA Rosales is hitting .347/.389/.595 with a 5% walk rate and a 14% strikeout rate. 30 doubles, 5 triples and 14 HR over that time.

exactly. he has shown he can hit very well in AAA. time to get him up here.
with EE & Phillips struggling as well as the entire offense struggling it kinda baffles me why he isn't up here right now.

TRF
04-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Adam Rosales = Clint Barmes.

I like Barmes.

The Reds are not going to demote EE. I'm almost at the point where I'm hoping he's injured.

Will M
04-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Adam Rosales = Clint Barmes.

I like Barmes.

The Reds are not going to demote EE. I'm almost at the point where I'm hoping he's injured.

they don't have to demote EE or Phillips. get Rosales up here & give him some starts at 2B & 3B. give EE & Phillips a couple of days off each (look what it did for Bruce !). Rosales is likely going to be a bench player in the bigs. but right now he is hitting very well & EE & Phillips are not.

Benihana
04-27-2009, 04:21 PM
BP will continue to play everyday.

On the other hand, I've actually come around on the EE side of this debate. Rosales needs to be with the big club. I would give him a few starts in these next few games. Give EE a few days off. One of them will start producing on a consistent basis. If it's Rosales, I would give EE an outfielder's glove, and tell him he has a new position. Meanwhile, I would promote Frazier to Louisville in Rosales' place, and start him everyday at 3B.

TRF
04-27-2009, 05:12 PM
they don't have to demote EE or Phillips. get Rosales up here & give him some starts at 2B & 3B. give EE & Phillips a couple of days off each (look what it did for Bruce !). Rosales is likely going to be a bench player in the bigs. but right now he is hitting very well & EE & Phillips are not.

he has to replace SOMEONE on the 25 man roster. That someone should be JHJ.

BRM
04-27-2009, 05:18 PM
he has to replace SOMEONE on the 25 man roster. That someone should be JHJ.

I agree with you but that ain't happening anytime soon.

HokieRed
04-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Could he replace Darnell McD?

_Sir_Charles_
04-27-2009, 06:25 PM

Darnell or Laynce Nix. Either one are expendable. We've got more than enough OF gloves (especially if we're talking of an EE-LF experiment).

That whole left handed pop off the bench stuff...it's nonsence. You don't need a power hitter on the bench. You don't need specific handed hitters on the bench. You need QUALITY hitters on the bench who fill fielding needs as well. Rosales does that BETTER than Nix OR McDonald. Who's Votto's back-up right now? *crickets chirping* You know what, I think it's Ramon Hernandez. Janish is a middle IF backup, so's JHJ (along with OF backup). Rosales is a corner IF backup and a better fit. Get him up here....yesterday!

thorn
04-27-2009, 06:31 PM
If you really want to get into experimenting put Hernandez at 1st, Hannigan at C and Votto in LF, he'll most likely wind up there anyway at some point.

GOYA
04-27-2009, 06:34 PM

You mean the guy on the 25-man that's hitting .294? Hairston or Dickerson makes much more sense.

Degenerate39
04-27-2009, 06:40 PM
I'd send down Mickey D or Dickerson maybe both then call up Rosales and Stubbs. Put Stubbs at left and see how he does then give Rosales some starts at 2nd and 3rd

GOYA
04-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Stubbs? No way. He needs at least a season at AAA.

Don't forget that Janish is ALREADY with the club but Dusty won't play him in place of AGon. If Rosie comes up, why would you expect any different? Remember last season when Dusty didn't play Rosales much at all?

Degenerate39
04-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Stubbs? No way. He needs at least a season at AAA.

Don't forget that Janish is ALREADY with the club but Dusty won't play him in place of AGon. If Rosie comes up, why would you expect any different? Remember last season when Dusty didn't play Rosales much at all?

I don't think Stubbs could do as bad as Dickerson is right now. I think it would be worth a shot

Benihana
04-27-2009, 06:56 PM
I don't think Stubbs could do as bad as Dickerson is right now. I think it would be worth a shot

No reason to bring Stubbs up here, particularly with McDonald hitting well and Stubbs doing nothing of note in Louisville. Plus, Stubbs' value comes as a CF.

Bring Rosales up. Send Nix down. Dickerson can be the left-handed "bat" off of the bench. Start Rosals at 3B at least four or five times in the next ten games.

GOYA
04-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Stubbs is absolutely not ready for the majors now. It would be foolish. Hopper would be the better move. Or even Bankston. The Reds need several bats. LF, 3B, SS and 2B are delivering next to nothing at the plate. Dusty could already improve SS without giving up defense and Rosie could do as well as EE at 3rd. CD is not exactly going for a gold glove but he's better than he has shown recently. Bankston might be a good replacement.

So if Dickerson is sent down for Bankston and someone else with an option is sent down for Rosales to spell EE AND Dusty gives Janish a fair shot at SS, then BP is the only really bad stick in the lineup.

Degenerate39
04-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Stubbs is absolutely not ready for the majors now. It would be foolish. Hopper would be the better move. Or even Bankston. The Reds need several bats. LF, 3B, SS and 2B are delivering next to nothing at the plate. Dusty could already improve SS without giving up defense and Rosie could do as well as EE at 3rd. CD is not exactly going for a gold glove but he's better than he has shown recently. Bankston might be a good replacement.

So if Dickerson is sent down for Bankston and someone else with an option is sent down for Rosales to spell EE AND Dusty gives Janish a fair shot at SS, then BP is the only really bad stick in the lineup.

I forgot Hopper was down there. They just have to do something with this offense. It doesn't matter how good of a pitching staff the Reds have if they can't score it'll be a moot point.

TRF
04-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Dickerson had the makings of a breakout game right until he and Tejada collided. two outstanding throws from LF, one to nail Tejada, one held him to a single. plus a solid base hit.

fearofpopvol1
04-28-2009, 01:51 PM
I actually like Nix quite a bit as a bench player. But I'd be in favor of bring Rosales up over McDonald for sure.

camisadelgolf
04-28-2009, 02:41 PM
After watching Dickerson over the years, a trip to the DL is inevitable. I think that's when we'll see Rosales.

Eric_the_Red
04-28-2009, 02:51 PM
After watching Dickerson over the years, a trip to the DL is inevitable. I think that's when we'll see Rosales.

Right now may not be a bad time to DL Dickerson, with his concussion-like syndromes after running into Tejada yesterday. DL CD and bring up Rosales to give EE a break at third and see what happens.