PDA

View Full Version : Sportscenter

NorrisHopper30
04-18-2009, 01:57 PM
I had to listen to the last 2 innings of the game last night on the radio as I was driving to UC so when I woke up today I wanted to turn on the TV and see the highlight of the Hernandez homerun.

I woke up at 10 and watched the sportscenter that was on till 11. They showed a few highlights from the big market baseball teams and then proceeded to fill the rest of the show with nfl draft predictions and todd mcshay and mel kiper argueing with each other. They even fit in some more madden stuff and NBA playoffs predictions.

What happened to ESPN showing highlights and stats of the previous night? Are those days gone? It seems like more and more of "predictions" from their expert analysts.

All I wanted to see was the Hernandez home run, yet there was no mention of the Reds (they did mention 3 other teams that had winning home runs in the 9th) in a hour long show. It sickens me.

Eric_the_Red
04-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Should've been watching MLB Network.

ChatterRed
04-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Yeah, check mlb.com......they often have videos of the big plays. Also, Reds.com has video of the home run right now. Not sure if I'm allowed to post this........if not, I apologize. Just tell me and I'll erase it, but here's the link: http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=4188283&c_id=cin

ChatterRed
04-18-2009, 02:06 PM
I have to add...........in the 9th when Cordero got that ground ball double play...........did anyone notice the excitement Votto had when he caught the throw? It was nice to see. These guys are into this.

Also, what you don't get to see from the video of Hernandez home run are the previous two pitches he took. The first one was high and called a strike. Hernandez glanced at the ump in shock but didn't make too big a deal out of it. The next pitch was a foot outside, and again called a strike. Hernandez then politely made a comment to the ump, but they didn't get into it or anything. The next pitch on the outside of the plate, Hernandez jacks into the right field stands. It was classic.

keeganbrick
04-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Dont tune into Sportscenter or BB Tonight for the first 75% of the show. They wont show Reds highlights unless they are playing the Mets, Yanks, or Redsox.

Ghosts of 1990
04-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Those days are gone. On most nights unless we get a 3 HR game from someone we get little to no coverage on the Worldwide leader. Even baseball tonight snubs us nightly. Been that way since 2000s early on. I'm used to it.

gedred69
04-18-2009, 04:06 PM
I have to add...........in the 9th when Cordero got that ground ball double play...........did anyone notice the excitement Votto had when he caught the throw? It was nice to see. These guys are into this.

Also, what you don't get to see from the video of Hernandez home run are the previous two pitches he took. The first one was high and called a strike. Hernandez glanced at the ump in shock but didn't make too big a deal out of it. The next pitch was a foot outside, and again called a strike. Hernandez then politely made a comment to the ump, but they didn't get into it or anything. The next pitch on the outside of the plate, Hernandez jacks into the right field stands. It was classic.

I took that "glance" more like a glare. I'm thinking as Welch stated, Hernandez was recalling how that same location was Ball 4 to Oswalt.

Fon Duc Tow
04-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Hernandez doesn't play for a big market team.

Therefore, you will not see him on ESPN, unless the Reds are playing a big market team and he is in the background while they are showing highlights of said big market team.

gilpdawg
04-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Those days are gone. On most nights unless we get a 3 HR game from someone we get little to no coverage on the Worldwide leader. Even baseball tonight snubs us nightly. Been that way since 2000s early on. I'm used to it.

As bad as this organization has been, why the hell should they give them any attention?

Captain Hook
04-19-2009, 12:46 AM
I only watch ESPN when they are showing a live game.They still get some good events but their news coverage has been reduced to the NFL and only big market teams in other sports.If I want scores or highlights I just jump online these days.You can usually find highlights on espn.com for most things but if your looking for Reds highlights mlb.com is the way to go.

xavr1
04-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Sportscenter has become nothing more than E! News for big market teams and players.

Maldez
04-19-2009, 06:20 PM
I had to listen to the last 2 innings of the game last night on the radio as I was driving to UC so when I woke up today I wanted to turn on the TV and see the highlight of the Hernandez homerun.

I woke up at 10 and watched the sportscenter that was on till 11. They showed a few highlights from the big market baseball teams and then proceeded to fill the rest of the show with nfl draft predictions and todd mcshay and mel kiper argueing with each other. They even fit in some more madden stuff and NBA playoffs predictions.

What happened to ESPN showing highlights and stats of the previous night? Are those days gone? It seems like more and more of "predictions" from their expert analysts.

All I wanted to see was the Hernandez home run, yet there was no mention of the Reds (they did mention 3 other teams that had winning home runs in the 9th) in a hour long show. It sickens me.

I can relate entirely to your experience. I've learned the only way to get anything of value from ESPN is to record about a 2 hour block of it and then scan through it on fast forward. You might actually get lucky and find a 20 second Reds snippet.

Not only is ESPN's coverage biased big-time to the traditional big market teams (seems like Boston and the Yankees are the only two teams in baseball sometimes) but they have this annoying habit of chopping up about eight different sports into little 2 minute shorts and then mixing the whole thing up into some pulverized sports cocktail.

brachial pleXUs
04-20-2009, 02:04 AM
Should've been watching MLB Network.

I wish I could afford subscription channels. Until then, though, the Final Score on Fox Sports works for me. I've given up on watching ESPN for highlights since I don't care about the Yankees, Sox (white or red) Cubs, Angels, or Dodgers. Or really about the NFL or college football in spring or summer (except the draft). Now that I think about it, I really wonder how they manage to keep NFL coverage such a large portion of Sportscenter in the offseason.

xavr1
04-23-2009, 08:02 AM
I know this topic is basically dead, but I couldnt resist mentioning that, on this morning's Sportscenter, Justin Timberlake did the opening--"This...is Sportscenter (bah dah dah, bah dah dah)." Perfect example of that entire station selling out. Never see that kind of stuff on MLB Network.

Spazzrico
04-23-2009, 08:05 AM
I'll be the first to agree that ESPN sucks ass in many respects, especially with their big market love. But I don't quite understand why JT performing the Sportscenter theme is "selling out". Seems kinda fun, and they sold out looooooooong ago.

xavr1
04-23-2009, 08:40 AM
True--maybe "selling out" is the wrong description. I suppose I just don't like how Hollywood the entire station has become. JT represents the mega-celebrity set and has nothing at all to do with sports (other than being a good golfer). ESPN is in it for the personality, not the sports.

bounty37h
04-23-2009, 09:43 AM
I did like Snoop doing hte top 10 plays of the day the other day. Also love their college hoops coverage during the season, but I am a UNC fan, so guess I should like it. Baseball coverage can def use some work, but Gammons is still one of the best around imo with his insight. If the Reds (or other small market teams) start playing better, they will get more coverage they deserve.

Eric_the_Red
04-23-2009, 02:40 PM
MLB Network should throw the bank and pry Gammons, Kurkijen and/or Olney from ESPN. That would improve an already great MLB Network.

"You're with me, Leather."

Caveman Techie
04-23-2009, 03:39 PM
MLB Network should throw the bank and pry Gammons, Kurkijen and/or Olney from ESPN. That would improve an already great MLB Network.

"You're with me, Leather."

I wouldn't mind seeing them get Olney, but let ESPN keep the rest. :)

Eric_the_Red
04-23-2009, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing them get Olney, but let ESPN keep the rest. :)

Ever since I heard Gammons is abig Pearl Jam fan, I was pro-Gammons (I'm a HUGE PJ fan.)

And how can you not like TIMAY Kurkijen?

RedEyez
04-23-2009, 05:29 PM
hate espn..mlb channel

bounty37h
04-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Ever since I heard Gammons is abig Pearl Jam fan, I was pro-Gammons (I'm a HUGE PJ fan.)

And how can you not like TIMAY Kurkijen?

Gammons is an awesome guy, and one of the most knowedgable baseball people I have ever met. Didn't know that about P.J. though!

Markrunz
04-24-2009, 01:07 PM
I still watch Sportcenter here and there, it's convenient so yea wutever

tommycash
04-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Here are the 2 biggest problems I have with SportsCenter.

1. If the Reds do get a win, they barely show Reds highlights (they mainly show the other teams highlights), for example:

Lance Berkman with a giant homerun, some celebrity in attendance, oh yeah...Reds win 15-2. Wait...no Reds highlights, and then 2 seconds worth of a box score on the screen before Stu Scott says hugs and handpounds, or Kenny Mayne shows up with another bad show idea. (By the way, that is not game highlight portion taken from ESPN, just made it up to go along with my assertion)

2. (And this doesn't have anything to do with the Reds) Why do the sportscasters on ESPN(present, not past) give away the end of the play on a highlight 10 seconds before it is over. They will run a clip of an at-bat that ends in a home-run and say it is a home run before they start, and then run what could have been a suspenseful clip. They do the same thing on plays in the field too(ie close plays at home plate, etc.). Maybe it is just me on this one though.

Caveman Techie
04-24-2009, 01:37 PM
I just get tired of hearing Gammons throw a ton of "rumors" out there. It's gotten to the point that if the source of a rumor is Gammons I discount it from the get go. If he would stick to just analysis of the game and players, I would agree he is very good at that and I do enjoy that part of his reporting.

I think sometimes though he likes throwing the juicy rumor out there to show how much of an "insider" he is, and more often then not he ends up looking like a fool.

Eric_the_Red
04-24-2009, 02:08 PM
I just get tired of hearing Gammons throw a ton of "rumors" out there. It's gotten to the point that if the source of a rumor is Gammons I discount it from the get go. If he would stick to just analysis of the game and players, I would agree he is very good at that and I do enjoy that part of his reporting.

I think sometimes though he likes throwing the juicy rumor out there to show how much of an "insider" he is, and more often then not he ends up looking like a fool.

Rumor - noun; 1. a story or statement in general circulation without confirmation or certainty as to facts; 2. gossip; hearsay

Why be upset if all the rumors he reports don't happen? That is what rumors are.

mlh1981
04-26-2009, 01:36 PM
ESPN has been dead to me for years.

Chris Berman, Dick Vitale, Stuart Scott, etc are all horrible.

These guys need to realize that the NEWS ought to be the story--not their oversized personalities

bounty37h
04-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Rumor - noun; 1. a story or statement in general circulation without confirmation or certainty as to facts; 2. gossip; hearsay

Why be upset if all the rumors he reports don't happen? That is what rumors are.

:thumbup:

bgwilly31
04-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Same thing happened witht he bengals. Every time bengals were on the clock for the draft. "Well lets take a break for just a moment. We'll be right back"

They did it i know for the 1st three pics. The 3rd time i saw it i lol'd.

highheat11
05-07-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm so sick of Sportscenter. Especially now with the Manny news. It goes ARod, Manny, Favre, Manny, Arod, NBA Playoffs, Manny, Favre, Arod, random baseball highlight that only includes the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, or Cubs, Top 10, Manny, Arod, Favre. I remember back when you could watch Sportscenter and see all the baseball highlights and talk about what was going on in baseball. I realize they have Baseball Tonight, but its shown only once or twice. MLB Network is definitely the way to go right now.

God help us once McShay and Kiper start their 2010 Mock Drafts here in a week or two...

Bumstead
05-07-2009, 12:36 PM
ESPN=Sports Illustrated! No in-depth coverage anymore, only cover the "big story," and the focus on the major market teams is ridiculous!

Fon Duc Tow
05-07-2009, 03:23 PM
I know this topic is basically dead, but I couldnt resist mentioning that, on this morning's Sportscenter, Justin Timberlake did the opening--"This...is Sportscenter (bah dah dah, bah dah dah)." Perfect example of that entire station selling out. Never see that kind of stuff on MLB Network.

Lost me here...

Justin Timberlake is a bubble gum pop star and ESPN is a cable sports network that caters to big market demographics.

I'm sure we all would have rather they had Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull do it, but doggunit he just doesn't draw like he used to... ;)

Bumstead
05-07-2009, 03:40 PM
I can think of some examples of who I would have liked to have seen do it and none of them are dudes....:beerme: