PDA

View Full Version : Why does Dusty not steal Taveras more often ?

fewfirstchoice
04-18-2009, 05:55 PM
The last 5 times Taveras has been on base he hasnt attempted a stolen base. All 5 times hes been on base there has been less than 2 outs. So he has at least 2 at bats to attempt a stolen base but he hasnt. I know he probably has the green light but Dusty has to put him in motion his self if he sees Willy isnt going on his own. To make it worse 2 or those last 5 times Votto came up and got singles twice. So Taveras went to third and no furhter but if he had stolen a base he would have scored. And with our terrible offense we need all the runs we can get. So why isnt Dusty sending Willy more often. I know hes got 3 stolen bases but he should have at least 5 and probably 6 or 7.

Ghosts of 1990
04-18-2009, 06:11 PM
I mean he's got 3. Guys at the MLB level just don't steal that often in general anymore. A lot is geared to shut down the running game. It's tough to steal bases in MLB. That said, I think Dusty is letting Tavares get comfortable and later in the season he'll be taking off more often. To already have 3 and not be sending him a lot is decent. His chances will only increase from here.

ChatterRed
04-18-2009, 07:19 PM
The NL stolen base leaders have 4 stolen bases. Two players are tied for that lead, and each have had around 45 at-bats. Tavares has 3 stolen bases and has only had 24 at-bats.

Orlando Hudson has singled 10 times and walked 7 times, and has 4 stolen bases.
Emilio Bonafacio has singled 14 times and walked once, and has 4 stolen bases.
Tavares has singled 5 times, walked 5 times, and has 3 stolen bases.

Not sure what you expect here?

schmidty622
04-18-2009, 07:33 PM
I would guess that Dusty has given Taveras the green light. If that's the case then I am happy that Taveras has decided to pick his spots rather than possibly kill a rally by getting thrown out at 2b.

fewfirstchoice
04-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Im just sayin the Reds gave Willie 6 million plus for his speed. Hes gave them the OBP. they need so far but I would have expected they would run him a little more often. I know he cant run everytime but he needs to be running more often than not.

Krawhitham
04-19-2009, 01:13 AM
The NL stolen base leaders have 4 stolen bases. Two players are tied for that lead, and each have had around 45 at-bats. Tavares has 3 stolen bases and has only had 24 at-bats.

Orlando Hudson has singled 10 times and walked 7 times, and has 4 stolen bases.
Emilio Bonafacio has singled 14 times and walked once, and has 4 stolen bases.
Tavares has singled 5 times, walked 5 times, and has 3 stolen bases.

Not sure what you expect here?

The man said he would get 100+ steals this season

he is on pace for 54

davereds24
04-19-2009, 09:07 AM
carlos quentin is also on pace for over 80 home runs. its still early, taveras is one piece of this lineup we shouldn't worry about.

redram
04-19-2009, 12:52 PM
The man said he would get 100+ steals this season

he is on pace for 54

Just what I was thinking. I don't care how many at bats he has, there have been chances to steal that he has not even looked like he thought about it, and a couple of times it has cost us runs. If he plans on stealing 100 bases he better get it going. This O needs him stealing bases to score period.

He got it!
04-19-2009, 08:09 PM
I would guess that Dusty has given Taveras the green light. If that's the case then I am happy that Taveras has decided to pick his spots rather than possibly kill a rally by getting thrown out at 2b.

Exactly :thumbup:

Do I agree that I would like to see Willy T. with a few more SB attempts at this point in the season...yes.

Do I see how this is Dusty's fault?...No.

PhillipsHead
04-19-2009, 08:17 PM
I think either Dusty or Taveras are overanalyzing pitchers and their moves, hence, he's not running early in counts.

WillyT
04-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Willy never said that he would steal 100+ bases this season. He only said that was something he was shooting for and something he thought was attainable for him if everything fell into place. With that being said Willy has never been a guy to run for the sake of running. He's very aware of pitchers times to the plate and who is behind the plate. He had over a 90% success rate on stolen bases last year while stealing 68 so that tells you that he was very good at picking his spots. I'd like to see Willy run more too but I've learned that he has a pretty good idea what he's doing on the bases and he's been really sucessful over the last two years. I'd much rather see him pick his spots then just start running close to everytime and potentially kill rallies. If he keeps getting on like he has been, trust me the stolen bases will come.

BIGGIN
04-20-2009, 04:17 AM
Well without even seeing this thread I just posted a reply pretty much asking the same question...I know the guy can't steal every time he gets on base but he did say he wanted to steal 100 bases because he thought it was possible. That is quiet a task but Willy has the speed and the base running ability to steal more than he has already. I know a great base runner picks his pitches and situations to run but Willy has had some chances that I think he should have took, and I agree with you Few when you say we need all the runs we can get, I don't think it would be a big risk for Willy to steal more bases, he is as quick as a cat.