PDA

View Full Version : Boo Dusty, Boo!

Redlegs
04-18-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm not usually one to 2nd guess the manager. I know Dusty Baker knows more about the national pastime than I ever will, but there's no way you can allow Lance Nix to go up there as the tying run in the 7th with 2 men out. Rodriguez has clearly overmatched Nix all night long, it's a lefty versus lefty matchup, and I just don't get the logic there at all.

highheat11
04-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Gomes is starting to look reaaaaaaal nice right now. I still can't understand why other guys got a roster spot while Gomes is sitting in Louisville right now.

Redlegs
04-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Honestly, I would have hit Paul Janish there if I had to. Nix is clearly overmatched on this particular night. He hasn't got good wood on the ball at all. I don't get it. The team is scuffling, it may be the only opportunity you get the rest of the game, and you opt to allow Nix to hit for himself.

goreds2
04-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Janish should have batted no doubt. Think Dusty!

keeganbrick
04-18-2009, 11:17 PM
You know you have a thin bench when you are cheering for Paul Janish to pinch hit. :(

Ghosts of 1990
04-18-2009, 11:48 PM
I still dont know why Nix is on the team

Captain Hook
04-19-2009, 12:51 AM
You know you have a thin bench when you are cheering for Paul Janish to pinch hit. :(

Janish has done ok this season but your absolutely right.I don't think you can blame Dusty for having a terrible bench and offense for that matter.

JBChance
04-19-2009, 12:54 AM
I still dont know why Nix is on the team

Or why he would possibly start against a lefty (and K three times) when we won't start Dickerson vs. lefties. Did they "think" that Nix hits major league left hand pitching better than Dickerson? :dunno:

Newman4
04-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Or why he would possibly start against a lefty (and K three times) when we won't start Dickerson vs. lefties. Did they "think" that Nix hits major league left hand pitching better than Dickerson? :dunno:

If I were Dickerson I would be disappointed. Not to repeat what everyone else already said, but when we're arguing over Janish, Nix, McDonald, etc. to play against LHP then your already up that proverbial SOL creek in my opinion.

UPRedsFan
04-19-2009, 08:42 AM
I felt all spring that Keppinger should be turned into our left fielder against left handed pitching. Would have been nice for that to have been Kepp's spot last night!!

DTCromer
04-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Gomes is starting to look reaaaaaaal nice right now. I still can't understand why other guys got a roster spot while Gomes is sitting in Louisville right now.

His .192 avg. in Louisville disagrees.

TheBigLebowski
04-19-2009, 12:55 PM
The problem is that our bench is probably the worst in major league baseball. There is no right answer when your choices are Paul Janish and Laynce Nix.

Eric_the_Red
04-19-2009, 01:03 PM
I question the baseball acumen of anyone that thinks Dusty writing the name Janish, Gomes, Dickerson or Nix on one spot of the lineup card would have made a sizeable difference in the game last night.

Bottom line is right now most of the team isn't hitting. I'm not suggesting this is a potent offense, but there is a world of difference between hitting .100 and .250. Once most of the lineup starts to upswing toward their career norms (as bad as those are) a few more runs should score. With our starting pitching potential, I think that should equate to more runs.

The team is 5-5. If someone showed you the teams BA and OPS through ten games and told you the team would be 5-5, I think we would all take that.

Redlegs
04-19-2009, 05:52 PM
The problem is that our bench is probably the worst in major league baseball. There is no right answer when your choices are Paul Janish and Laynce Nix.Time has proved that you need a veteran bench in order to win.

He got it!
04-19-2009, 06:57 PM
I question the baseball acumen of anyone that thinks Dusty writing the name Janish, Gomes, Dickerson or Nix on one spot of the lineup card would have made a sizeable difference in the game last night.

Bottom line is right now most of the team isn't hitting. I'm not suggesting this is a potent offense, but there is a world of difference between hitting .100 and .250. Once most of the lineup starts to upswing toward their career norms (as bad as those are) a few more runs should score. With our starting pitching potential, I think that should equate to more runs.

The team is 5-5. If someone showed you the teams BA and OPS through ten games and told you the team would be 5-5, I think we would all take that.

Well said :thumbup: