PDA

View Full Version : More details from Pitino extortion case

WVRed
04-18-2009, 11:59 PM
WillyMo touched on this in the UK thread, but since it's not really UK related, it probably deserves its own thread.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090418/SPORTS02/90418010

University of Louisville men’s basketball coach Rick Pitino says that he is the target of an extortion attempt and that he has asked the FBI to investigate.

The coach released a statement through the university tonight after being contacted by The Courier-Journal yesterday afternoon.

Pitino gave no specifics on the actions he claims are being taken against him, but said in the statement, “I intend to vigorously defend my reputation and the character of my family against any criminal scheme to extort money.”

Louisville attorney Thomas Clay later called the newspaper and said he represents the woman who is under FBI investigation.

He declined to provide details of her claims or to identify her, but when told that WDRB 41 had named her as Karen Sypher, the wife of U of L basketball equipment manager Tim Sypher, he said he did not “take issue” with that.

“There is a federal investigation going on, and there may be criminal charges placed against her as a result of what coach Pitino has brought to the attention of the FBI,” Clay said. “. . . There are no counter allegations, and as far as I am concerned this criminal investigation is going to proceed to a logical conclusion and I hope that we can put this matter behind us as quickly as possible.”

Clay said his client has been interviewed by the FBI, but declined to offer more specifics.

FBI spokesman David Beyer confirmed that Pitino told the agency last month that he “was the victim of an apparent extortion and we have an ongoing investigation into the matter.”

Beyer said he could not provide further details.

Pitino’s remarks were accompanied by statements of support from U of L President Jim Ramsey and athletic director Tom Jurich.

“My family and I were recently threatened as part of a criminal scheme to extort money,” Pitino said in the release distributed by the UofL sports information department. “Upon receiving these threats, we reported this extortion attempt to the FBI.

“While I did not want to make this matter public, I recently learned that the individual behind this extortion attempt has already gone to the media with false, defamatory and outrageous allegations in an attempt to pressure me to cave in to this scheme.”

Pitino did not name the individual he is accusing of extortion, which is a federal offense and is defined as an attempt by an individual or group to obtain money or other property or services through coercion.

Both Ramsey and Jurich said in separate statements that they support Pitino and his going to the FBI.

“The University of Louisville supports Coach Pitino and his family,” Ramsey said. “We stand by his decision to report this matter to the authorities and will now leave this criminal investigation in the hands of the FBI.”

The university release said Pitino, Ramsey and Jurich would have no further comment. None of the three responded to phone messages seeking comment tonight.

Pitino’s statement referred questions to his attorney, Steve Pence, the former lieutenant governor of Kentucky. Pence did not return a phone message to his office tonight.

Courier-Journal reporter R.G. Dunlop contributed to this story.

WMR
04-19-2009, 12:28 AM
http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/08/70/28/slideshow_528708_hats5.jpg

here's her photo.

Stifler's mom

WMR
04-19-2009, 12:30 AM
There's also lots of talk fluttering around about point shaving...

also: the reason being speculated as to why Little Pitino left Little Brother is that he's disgusted by what his dad is doing to his mom...

joshnky
04-19-2009, 08:34 AM
There's also lots of talk fluttering around about point shaving...

also: the reason being speculated as to why Little Pitino left Little Brother is that he's disgusted by what his dad is doing to his mom...

Come on. Don't you think some of these rumors are ridiculous? Why would Pitino bring in the FBI if this was true? Now that the feds are involved the spotlight will be on the issue and everyone will know the truth one way or the other.

Also, it seems much more likely that Richard left for Florida so that he can get out of this father's shadow (the players called him Little Ricky) and make a name for himself under a family friend who has had several assistants move on to head coaching roles.

hebroncougar
04-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Come on. Don't you think some of these rumors are ridiculous? Why would Pitino bring in the FBI if this was true? Now that the feds are involved the spotlight will be on the issue and everyone will know the truth one way or the other.

Also, it seems much more likely that Richard left for Florida so that he can get out of this father's shadow (the players called him Little Ricky) and make a name for himself under a family friend who has had several assistants move on to head coaching roles.

Some people just can't resist the urge to take swipes at Pitino, they miss him at UK, and the success he had. Hopefully Calipari can bring some level of consistency and success back to UK so they can concentrate on their own program, rather than focus on programs they aspire to be as good as again one day.

TeamSelig
04-19-2009, 09:12 AM
It is still considered extortion if the allegations are true. IMO this rumor has some legs to it which explains why he would just go ahead and call the FBI. If the allegations are false, why not address the rumor and refute it. If it's true, it is going to come out most likely. Why not get them charged with a felony for what they are doing?

EDIT

ps I'm a UK fan but absolutely love Pitino... never resented him for going to UL

hebroncougar
04-19-2009, 09:17 AM
It is still considered extortion if the allegations are true. IMO this rumor has some legs to it which explains why he would just go ahead and call the FBI. If the allegations are false, why not address the rumor and refute it. If it's true, it is going to come out most likely. Why not get them charged with a felony for what they are doing?

EDIT

ps I'm a UK fan but absolutely love Pitino... never resented him for going to UL

The woman's soon to be ex-husband even says they are bizarre:

This morning, U of L equipment manager Tim Sypher, whose wife, Karen, has been identified as the person making allegations against -- and allegedly trying to extort -- U of L basketball coach Rick Pitino, issued this statement through the university's sports information office.

"I am devastated by the bizarre allegations that my estranged wife is making against both Coach Pitino and myself. At this point, my primary concern is for my young daughter and four stepsons, both to the impact of their mother's actions on them, as well as the impact on Coach's family and the University. I love my children, and want to protect them. At the same time, I intend to defend the allegations vigorously and will have no additional comment at this time. "

TeamSelig
04-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Interesting comments.

Maybe he found out about the FBI before that comment ;)

WVRed
04-19-2009, 09:28 AM
http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/08/70/28/slideshow_528708_hats5.jpg

here's her photo.

Stifler's mom

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/IMAGES/MMPH/C55892.jpg

WVRed
04-19-2009, 09:36 AM

The point shaving I think is a little extreme.

Bringing in the FBI has a lot of question marks surrounding it. If it was somebody making a threat toward his family physically, I could see the details being released rather quickly. The fact that there is a gag order basically going through the media makes a lot of people wonder what is really going on.

I would have believed what you said about Richard leaving for Florida, and I still do to an extent. But you have to admit things do seem kinda fishy when:

1.Richard leaves for Florida.
2.Pitino is mentioned for some NBA openings.
3.The FBI story is leaked Saturday night.

Again, I've always been a Pitino fan even when he took the Louisville job. He is still one of my favorite coaches for what he did while at UK, so I don't have an axe to grind and I am definitely not sitting back laughing at this.

WMR
04-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Some people just can't resist the urge to take swipes at Pitino, they miss him at UK, and the success he had. Hopefully Calipari can bring some level of consistency and success back to UK so they can concentrate on their own program, rather than focus on programs they aspire to be as good as again one day.

I assume this was directed at me.

All I did was post what has been going around the UL and UK boards like wildfire. I could've taken some swipes against Pitino or UL in this thread and I HAVEN'T.

When was UL's last national championship? That's the level of success we aspire to at Kentucky, so I wouldn't go patting yourself on the back too much. I understand that one Final Four under Rick's watch is pretty heady stuff after those last several years of Crum.

WMR
04-19-2009, 10:53 AM

I think the point shaving stuff is ridiculous, yes.

The other stuff... I dunno.

I've read that the FBI was already involved in an investigation concerning UL and that the FBI wouldn't immediately be called in in an instance such as this...

I'm not going to make any sort of predictions or prognostications... it will all come out eventually now. Probably.

Supposedly one of the Louisville news stations has an interview with Sypher's wife that they are sitting on.

Boston Red
04-19-2009, 10:53 AM
I understand that one Final Four under Rick's watch is pretty heady stuff after those last several years of Crum.

That's still one more than UK in the last 11 years. Now, was all that necessary?

WMR
04-19-2009, 11:09 AM
That's still one more than UK in the last 11 years. Now, was all that necessary?

Ask Hebron Cougar. I didn't personally say ANYTHING negative about UL or Rick. Just 'reported' on what is being talked about across the bluegrass and across the internet.

hebroncougar
04-19-2009, 11:33 AM
I assume this was directed at me.

All I did was post what has been going around the UL and UK boards like wildfire. I could've taken some swipes against Pitino or UL in this thread and I HAVEN'T.

When was UL's last national championship? That's the level of success we aspire to at Kentucky, so I wouldn't go patting yourself on the back too much. I understand that one Final Four under Rick's watch is pretty heady stuff after those last several years of Crum.

I didn't direct it at anyone in particular other than rabid UK fans that hate on Pitino since he left the program. I didn't quote you, and it wasn't directed at you. I used to be a huge UK fan, until I saw the ignorance of the majority of the fan base after Pitino left. I still like UK, but to hang out on message boards where all they do is bash on Pitino, and anything they can dig up on him is pretty childish IMO.

WMR
04-19-2009, 11:37 AM
I didn't direct it at anyone in particular other than rabid UK fans that hate on Pitino since he left the program. I didn't quote you, and it wasn't directed at you. I used to be a huge UK fan, until I saw the ignorance of the majority of the fan base after Pitino left.

You might not have quoted me but it was pretty obvious the reaction that your post was intended to provoke.

You USED to be a huge UK fan? I'm not sure how big of a UK fan you could be if you let some stupid fans turn you off from your fandom 12 years ago.

WMR
04-19-2009, 11:39 AM
I didn't direct it at anyone in particular other than rabid UK fans that hate on Pitino since he left the program. I didn't quote you, and it wasn't directed at you. I used to be a huge UK fan, until I saw the ignorance of the majority of the fan base after Pitino left. I still like UK, but to hang out on message boards where all they do is bash on Pitino, and anything they can dig up on him is pretty childish IMO.

Ahh, see you've added some more to your post. Glad to see you still like Kentucky. Nothing could turn me from my love for the University of Kentucky, especially not some retarded jackholes.

That's why I tell people to stay away from Rupp's Raftards. :D

One of the biggest cesspools on the internet, and this is coming from an enormous Kentucky fan.

hebroncougar
04-19-2009, 12:12 PM
You might not have quoted me but it was pretty obvious the reaction that your post was intended to provoke.

You USED to be a huge UK fan? I'm not sure how big of a UK fan you could be if you let some stupid fans turn you off from your fandom 12 years ago.

No, it was not. I can only imagine what message boards that aren't patrolled are saying, that's why I hang out here.

WVRed
04-19-2009, 04:32 PM
From ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4080340

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Louisville coach Rick Pitino says he is the victim of an extortion attempt and has forwarded the information to the FBI.

Pitino reported the threats to authorities last month, and the FBI is investigating, the university said in a statement released Saturday. The statement did not specify the nature of the threats.

It appears the investigation could involve the estranged wife of one of Pitino's staff members, equipment manager Tim Sypher.

Thomas Clay, an attorney for Karen Sypher, says he was contacted by the FBI regarding extortion allegations leveled by Pitino last week but had no further comment to The Associated Press.

"I can't be more specific than they talked to her," Clay said. "Yes, there could be a criminal prosecution."

FBI spokesman David Beyer confirmed there was an ongoing investigation into Pitino's complaint and that no other law enforcement agencies were involved. Beyer did not name the target of the investigation.

Pitino did not want to go public with the news but decided Saturday afternoon to issue a statement, after news organizations began inquiring about the issue.

"I recently learned that the individual behind this extortion attempt has already gone to the media with false, defamatory and outrageous allegations in an attempt to pressure me to cave in to this scheme," Pitino said.

Karen Sypher recently did a lengthy interview with the Louisville Fox affiliate, WDRB-41, but the station reported Saturday night that it "has decided not to relate details of her claims at this time."

The Louisville source said WDRB determined that Sypher's story was not credible, but that could not be confirmed with WDRB Sunday morning as the reason why the interview was not aired.

A Louisville source told ESPN.com's Pat Forde that Pitino began receiving threatening phone calls in late February from Sypher and possibly other accomplices, and the calls continued throughout the Big East and NCAA tournaments. In late March, Pitino called the FBI and apprised it of the attempt to extort him.

Tim Sypher issued a statement through the school Sunday morning.

"I am devastated by the bizarre allegations that my estranged wife is making against both Coach Pitino and myself," the release said. "At this point, my primary concern is for my young daughter and four stepsons, both to the impact of their mother's actions on them, as well as the impact on Coach's family and the university.

"I love my children, and want to protect them," the statement said. "At the same time, I intend to defend the allegations vigorously and will have no additional comment at this time."

The Syphers are in the process of getting divorced. A Jefferson County Family Court docket listing showed that the two were scheduled to appear for a dissolution hearing last Monday, April 13.

The revelation Saturday night prompted speculation about the timing of Richard Pitino's decision to leave Louisville for an assistant coaching job at Florida. That was reported Friday afternoon, and ESPN.com sources at the time said Rick Pitino's son was leaving to enhance his resume as a potential head coach outside his father's shadow.

Richard Pitino said Sunday via text message to ESPN.com that the extortion issue was completely unrelated to his changing jobs.

"Had nothing to do with me leaving," Richard Pitino said. "Me and Billy [Donovan] talked two weeks ago about that [job change]."

Richard Pitino otherwise declined comment. Rick Pitino declined comment Sunday afternoon to ESPN.com through Louisville media relations director Kenny Klein. Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich did not respond immediately to messages left by ESPN.com seeking comment.

A call to Pitino's attorney, Steve Pence, by The Associated Press on Saturday evening was not immediately returned.

Tim Sypher has worked with Pitino for the past 12 years. He served as Pitino's personal assistant with the Boston Celtics from 1997-2001, then followed Pitino to Louisville in 2001 to become the team's equipment manager.

Tim Sypher previously worked as an investigator for the state of Massachusetts for a decade. He and Karen Sypher have a daughter. Karen Sypher also has four sons.

Pitino just finished his eighth season in Louisville. The Cardinals won both the Big East regular season and conference tournament championships before falling to Michigan State in the NCAA tournament regional finals.

"I want to make it clear that I intend to vigorously defend my reputation and the character of my family against any criminal scheme to extort money," he said. "I am hopeful the media and public will recognize the slanderous nature of this direct and malicious attack."

Information from ESPN.com's Pat Forde and The Associated Press was used in this report.

WVRed
04-19-2009, 08:26 PM
From the Bleacher Report (don't really know what to make of it):

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/158741-rick-pitino-extortion-attempt-false-truth-comes-out

In several articles, people are stating that Rick Pitino was a victim of some kind of extortion scheme.

Several have said Karen Cunagin Sypher, wife of equipment manager Tim Sypher for Louisville, is an extortionist. Well, I can tell you one thing: It's not true.

I don't know vote to see results I have reputable sources and have talked with the Sypher family, as well as attorney Tom Clay, personally. Pitino offered money to cover up a mistake he made about five and a half years ago and is now trying to make Karen Sypher look bad.

Karen Sypher was sexually taken advantage of and forced into doing something she did not want to do.

Pitino has power and money on his side, making it much easier for the press to support what he is saying.

Reds4Life
04-20-2009, 10:57 AM
From the Bleacher Report (don't really know what to make of it):

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/158741-rick-pitino-extortion-attempt-false-truth-comes-out

If true, I think it's more likely she was a wililng participant in an affair, and now wants cash from Pitino. The "taken advantage of and forced to do something she didn't want to do" gets me everytime. If she was forced, that is rape, call the police. Otherwise, open your mouth and say no, it takes two to tango and you can't whine about it 5 years after the fact because you feel like it.

WVRed
04-20-2009, 11:11 AM
If true, I think it's more likely she was a wililng participant in an affair, and now wants cash from Pitino. The "taken advantage of and forced to do something she didn't want to do" gets me everytime. If she was forced, that is rape, call the police. Otherwise, open your mouth and say no, it takes two to tango and you can't whine about it 5 years after the fact because you feel like it.

The only problem with the Bleacher Report is that you or I both could write for it. It's basically a blog.

It really kinda reminds me of the whole Antoine Walker situation when he was at Kentucky, or for that matter the Kobe case. Just another golddigger trying to get money.

WVRed
04-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Another picture.

http://new.kentuckysportsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/karensypher1.jpg

I like the other girl better.:)

Reds4Life
04-20-2009, 11:53 AM
The only problem with the Bleacher Report is that you or I both could write for it. It's basically a blog.

It really kinda reminds me of the whole Antoine Walker situation when he was at Kentucky, or for that matter the Kobe case. Just another golddigger trying to get money.

That's the vibe I get to. She's getting divorced and needs a new meal ticket, time to go after Rick's money.

Reds4Life
04-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Another picture.

http://new.kentuckysportsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/karensypher1.jpg

I like the other girl better.:)

The one on the right is far better.

bucksfan2
04-20-2009, 03:51 PM

Where there is smoke there is fire.

Pitino is married isn't he? Basically the way I see it, Pitino had an affair with this lady and now she is coming back and demanding money to keep the story quite. Pitino didn't want to cooperate with her black mail any longer so he brought about extortion charges.

Pitino didn't do anything illegal (at least if you don't abide by the Koran). His crime of infidelity will play out amongst his family and also in the media. It almost seems like he came clean to his wife and brought about extortion charges shortly there afterwards.

WVRed
04-23-2009, 11:52 AM
According to a Twitter from Pat Forde, he will have an article on ESPN.com later today after spending five hours with Karen Sypher and her mother.

Could be something, could be nothing.

WVRed
04-23-2009, 10:02 PM
And here is the article, mostly nothing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4092376

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Judy Cunigan sits in the darkened living room of her modest house in Louisville's South End. The blinds are drawn on this spring afternoon. The doors are dead-bolted.

She is fearful. And she is furious.

"I want to kill him," she says, "for what he's done to my family."

The object of her rage is arguably the most popular and powerful man in town: Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino.

What Cunigan alleges Pitino has done to her family dates back more than five years, when her daughter, then Karen Cunigan and now Karen Sypher, first met the coach. The family has never filed any criminal complaints or civil claims against Pitino, and to date, their allegations remain so unsubstantiated that they cannot even be reported responsibly. As one source close to the situation put it, "There are severe credibility problems here."

What can be reported is that Karen Sypher -- now the estranged wife of Louisville basketball equipment manager Tim Sypher -- is under federal investigation for allegedly extorting Pitino.

Since the story broke Saturday evening with a University of Louisville news release that Pitino had gone to the FBI to report an attempted extortion, this basketball-mad city has been in an uproar. And since Karen Sypher was identified by a Louisville TV station that night as the primary individual under investigation, it has thrown a previously anonymous mother of five into the middle of a media maelstrom.

Message boards are melting down. Talk-show hosts are dancing their way around delicate (and potentially defamatory) topics. Few people have first-hand information, but many have vicious opinions about a celebrity coach and a woman they'd never heard of before Saturday.

"It's like an out-of-body experience," Karen Sypher said in a phone conversation Tuesday afternoon. "It's like I'm not here. It's a terrible, terrible nightmare. … I feel like I'm being stoned to death because I talked."

But instead of shrinking away from the spotlight's glare and the backlash of infamy, Karen Sypher and others in her family are defiantly digging in.

Since Pitino refuted any potential claims by Sypher in the school's released statement, he has declined comment (as has his lawyer). Louisville athletic department spokesman Kenny Klein reiterated that stance Tuesday night.

With the exception of Tim Sypher, who issued a statement Sunday siding with Pitino and calling his wife's unspecified allegations "bizarre," everyone at the university has kept quiet since Saturday. The same cannot be said of the Karen Sypher camp.

In the school's statement, Pitino said he went public with the extortion allegation because he knew "the individual behind this extortion attempt has already gone to the media with false, defamatory and outrageous allegations in an attempt to pressure me to cave in to this scheme." Sypher had done a lengthy interview with the local Fox affiliate, WDRB-41, but the station didn't air it because it "has decided not to relate details of her claims at this time."

Karen Sypher said tearfully Tuesday afternoon that her name has been dragged through the mud, and wondered how she would ever get another job. Yet she agreed to meet with an ESPN.com reporter despite the urging of her attorney, Thomas Clay, to keep quiet.

In fact, Karen Sypher told ESPN.com that Clay quit as her attorney Tuesday because his client would not stop publicly airing her grievances against Pitino, and, to a lesser extent, grievances against her own husband. Clay said Wednesday that he does still represent Karen Sypher, at least as of the time of the phone call.

"[Clay] has not helped me," Karen Sypher said earlier in the day by phone. "He tells me to keep my mouth shut and he'll keep me out of prison. This is ridiculous. What have I got to lose here?

"I feel like I'm in this web here, and I didn't start it. I am the victim here, not Rick Pitino, and I'm sick of it."

The FBI could decide otherwise, and soon. But as they investigate, the rumor mill spins at a hysterical rate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One recent night this month, Karen Sypher and her attorney say, she was interviewed at length by the FBI. Her son was interviewed as well.

She and her mother claim that Sypher's ex-husband was also interviewed, but sources dispute that.

The FBI gave Karen Sypher a polygraph test. Multiple sources say she didn't pass the test. She also took a polygraph test at WDRB after the unaired TV interview, and the results of that fell in the inconclusive range, according to the station.

Karen Sypher said she was under significant duress during the FBI polygraph test and challenged anyone else to pass the test under those circumstances.

She said the FBI asked her about harassing phone calls made to the millionaire coach of the Cardinals. The calls started in February, according to a University of Louisville source, and continued through the team's run to Big East regular-season and tournament titles and into the NCAA tournament, in which Louisville was the No. 1 overall seed.

Multiple people were said to be calling the coach on behalf of Karen Sypher, sources said. She denies having encouraged anyone to harass Pitino, and denies having any knowledge of those calls before being asked about them by the authorities.

Judy Cunigan said she called and talked to Pitino once herself about three weeks ago, "to ask him what has happened to my daughter." Cunigan said she got Pitino's number from her daughter. Judy Cunigan said Tim Sypher came by her house the night she placed that call, pounded on the door and, after being let in, told her not to do it again.

"Now they've got it going around that I asked for millions of dollars," Cunigan said. "We haven't asked for anything but the truth."

Judy Cunigan said other calls were made by a family friend she only identified as "Lester." She said that to her knowledge, Lester never threatened Pitino but only encouraged him to do right by Karen.

Karen Sypher said that if Lester called Pitino, she didn't know how he got the coach's unlisted number. She said the only way she suspected that he had placed any phone calls to Pitino was when the FBI played an audio recording of a call over and over, and she believed the voice to be Lester's.

Karen Sypher said she told Lester and others of her complaints about Pitino -- hundreds of others.

"I told 200 people in the last year and a half," she said. "I don't care."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karen Sypher suggests meeting at a Starbucks, hardly a discreet locale for a woman under siege. She walks into the coffee shop with a sheaf of documents hugged to her chest and a notebook from the 2005 Final Four, which is the last time Louisville made it that far. After ordering a low-fat vanilla latte with shots of espresso, she excuses herself to the bathroom.

Even from a nearby table, she can be heard talking on the phone. Another woman walks up and waits to use the bathroom. After several minutes, she gives up and slips into and then out of the men's room. In the women's room, Karen Sypher keeps talking.

"The only thing she can't do is keep her mouth shut," Judy Cunigan had said earlier in the day. "She talks too much. She come out of the womb talking."

For more than two hours after emerging from the bathroom, Karen Sypher talks. That is after a 30-minute phone conversation earlier in the day with ESPN.com. Most of this second conversation is off the record.

She has documents with her that she wants to make public, but not yet; not if doing so will heighten the risk of being imprisoned. She says her recent divorce filing in Jefferson Circuit Court Family Division is especially revealing, but the documents have been sealed by court order.

She talks, and she cries, more than once. She says she hasn't slept well, doesn't eat well and has relied on counseling to get her through recent weeks. She is terrified of what will happen to her children if she is sent to jail.

"My life's over," she says at one point.

Several miles away, her mother stays behind locked doors and shuttered blinds -- fearing, she says, for herself and for her daughter.

"Rick is a powerful man," Judy Cunigan said. "And I don't think you can beat a powerful man."

Pat Forde is a senior writer for ESPN.com. He is also the co-author of a book, "The Rebound Rules," with Pitino. The book was published in 2008.

AccordinglyReds
04-23-2009, 10:29 PM
So she's willing to say he's ruined her family and her life, but we still don't know what it's for?

dabvu2498
04-23-2009, 10:46 PM
So she's willing to say he's ruined her family and her life, but we still don't know what it's for? Yeah. Strange. Is she so unreliable that not even one mainstream media source will air her claims? It would certainly seem so. This is beyond strange.

WVRed
04-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Yeah. Strange. Is she so unreliable that not even one mainstream media source will air her claims? It would certainly seem so. This is beyond strange.

I think it has more to do with the FBI investigation that is going on. To be completely honest though, this has been handled so poorly.

I believe the Kobe case in Colorado painted a better picture on how to deal with these types of situations. Wait until it is proven otherwise before releasing any details.

Michael Eaves had a pretty good column on how there is no such thing as privacy and how this (along with Calipari's new home and address) were leaked by the media. It's sad really.

dabvu2498
04-23-2009, 11:11 PM
I think it has more to do with the FBI investigation that is going on. To be completely honest though, this has been handled so poorly. I believe the Kobe case in Colorado painted a better picture on how to deal with these types of situations. Wait until it is proven otherwise before releasing any details. Michael Eaves had a pretty good column on how there is no such thing as privacy and how this (along with Calipari's new home and address) were leaked by the media. It's sad really. The media has no obligation to the FBI's investigation. She gave an interview to that TV station and they won't even run it. Then she talks to Forde for 2+ hours and this is the what's left to print? Strange. And as far as Cal's address, anyone with internet access could get that info once Cal's name is on the deed.

Javy Pornstache
04-23-2009, 11:54 PM
She even took a lie detector test at FOX 41 in Louisville, and someone kiboshed the airing of an interview with her. Rick has many friends there.

acredsfan
04-24-2009, 12:45 AM
I don't know who's telling the truth and who isn't, but it just seems to me that if you aren't lying you shouldn't have to try so hard to defend yourself. If you feel you are being alienated by the community, don't seek more attention. Most importantly, if your lawyer tells you to shut your mouth, then shut your mouth. It just sounds like someone putting on a pity party to get the attention they want.

If you feel you are a victim, then why take it to the media and cause such a stir? There are so many things that are fishy with this situation. Don't cry victim when you are bringing the attention upon yourself.

WVRed
04-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Karen Sypher charged with extortion and lying to the FBI:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090424/SPORTS02/90424027&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

Six days after the disclosure that University of Louisville men’s basketball coach Rick Pitino was the target of an extortion attempt, a Louisville woman was charged today with extortion and lying to the FBI.

According to a criminal complaint filed in U.S District Court, Karen Sypher, with the help of unnamed others, tried to extort money from Pitino with threats to harm his reputation in connection with events that occurred in 2003.

The complaint, filed by FBI agent Steven J. Wight, said she lied to the FBI when she told investigators that she didn’t know the identity of the person who was making threatening phone calls to Pitino.

According to an affidavit by Wight, Pitino told investigators that he received three voice-mail messages in late February threatening to go public with criminal allegations against him.

Pitino said that after receiving the first two messages he met with Sypher and her husband, Tim, according to the affidavit, and asked what she wanted.

According to the affidavit, they discussed the possibility of a house, cars and money. The affidavit goes on to say that Tim Sypher delivered to Pitino on March 6 a written list of demands from Karen Sypher calling for college tuition for her children, two cars of her choice, a house paid off, $3,000 cash per month and a lump-sum payment of $75,000 if Pitino leaves U of L.

According to the affidavit, the note says, “If all is accepted, I will protect Rick Pitino’s name for life.”

The affidavit said she later withdrew her demands and through an attorney requested $10 million from Pitino.

The university disclosed last Saturday that Pitino had asked the FBI to investigate.

Pitino gave no specifics on the actions he claims are being taken against him, but said in the statement, “I intend to vigorously defend my reputation and the character of my family against any criminal scheme to extort money.”

Louisville attorney Thomas Clay later called the newspaper and confirmed that Sypher, his client, was under investigation. She is the estranged wife of U of L basketball equipment manager Tim Sypher.

FBI spokesman David Beyer confirmed that Pitino told the agency last month that he “was the victim of an apparent extortion and we have an ongoing investigation into the matter.”

News organizations, including The Courier-Journal, have interviewed Karen Sypher but elected not to report the nature of her allegations because they could not be corroborated and because she didn’t make any complaints to police.

Also, Clay said she would have no counterclaims against Pitino.

Both U of L President James Ramsey and athletic director Tom Jurich said in separate statements that they support Pitino and his decision to go to the FBI.

Chip R
04-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

George Foster
04-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

Or Rick Pitino's lawyers... She was arrested and charged with extortion, and lying to the FBI.

According to the Lex. Paper today, she wanted 10 million dollars...:eek:

she had an affair with him BEFORE she married the equipment manager.

hebroncougar
04-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Or Rick Pitino's lawyers... She was arrested and charged with extortion, and lying to the FBI.

Rick Pitino's lawyer's don't control what the FBI does, if the FBI arrests someone, I would think there is solid, solid evidence that she broke the law.

George Foster
04-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Rick Pitino's lawyer's don't control what the FBI does, if the FBI arrests someone, I would think there is solid, solid evidence that she broke the law.

I know what you are saying, but this is the FBI office out of Louisville. Politics affect everything.

Reds4Life
04-25-2009, 09:24 PM
I know what you are saying, but this is the FBI office out of Louisville. Politics affect everything.

It's a field office, in Washington Pitino is a nobody. If she's in cuffs, there is a legit reason for it.

dabvu2498
04-25-2009, 10:13 PM
It's a field office, in Washington Pitino is a nobody. If she's in cuffs, there is a legit reason for it. Yup. Generally the FBI and US Attorneys don't play games. It's generally fairly insulated from politics too. Plus, most of those people in the field offices don't have strong local ties.

Chip R
04-25-2009, 10:58 PM

According to the Lex. Paper today, she wanted 10 million dollars...:eek:

she had an affair with him BEFORE she married the equipment manager.

And that's my point. Perhaps she tried to initiate an affair, he turned her down and then she got all crazy on him. Right now she's got no credibility. She could swear on a stack of bibles that they had an affair and no one's going to believe her - not even Mrs. Pitino.

durl
04-27-2009, 09:10 AM
Well, if found guilty, she won't have need of new cars, she won't be able to live in a house, and her kids may not want tuition money from her.

But she'll likely get out in a few years, write a book, appear on all the famous afternoon TV shows and make tons of money in the process. Some people don't care how they get famous as long as they get their 15 minutes and a sweet book deal.

Chip R
04-27-2009, 12:07 PM
But she'll likely get out in a few years, write a book, appear on all the famous afternoon TV shows and make tons of money in the process. Some people don't care how they get famous as long as they get their 15 minutes and a sweet book deal.

It's not quite as easy as that. First of all, someone would have to take an interest in her story. If she goes to prison for a few years, all this is going to be old news and it may be that no one will care. But if they do care, even the sleaziest talk shows are going to want a little proof. If she wants to write a book, the requirements will be a lot more strict since publishing companies don't want to get sued for libel and this woman's credibility is zero.

durl
04-27-2009, 01:05 PM
It's not quite as easy as that. First of all, someone would have to take an interest in her story. If she goes to prison for a few years, all this is going to be old news and it may be that no one will care. But if they do care, even the sleaziest talk shows are going to want a little proof. If she wants to write a book, the requirements will be a lot more strict since publishing companies don't want to get sued for libel and this woman's credibility is zero.

Never underestimate the public's desire for seemingly undesirable memoirs by seemingly unimportant people.

WVRed
08-11-2009, 08:34 PM
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090811/SPORTS02/908110350/Pitino+told+police+he+had+consensual+sex+with+Syph er

It's four pages long, so I won't copy and paste everything, but Pitino told the police that he did have consensual sex with Karen Sypher aka Stifler's mom.

In addition, Pitino also paid $3,000 for her to have an abortion. This is not gonna go over very well.

WMR
08-11-2009, 09:26 PM
LOL glad you came back and mentioned the 3 grand for an abortion thing... I was about to get on you for neglecting to bring up the most interesting part of the whole ordeal.

Pitino IS Catholic right? :eek:

His poor wife. What an embarrassment.

Chip R
08-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Yikes!

WVRed
08-11-2009, 09:44 PM
LOL glad you came back and mentioned the 3 grand for an abortion thing... I was about to get on you for neglecting to bring up the most interesting part of the whole ordeal.

Yep, Catholic and in a predominantly Catholic area.

In all honesty, anywhere else this might not be that big of a deal. The fact that it did happen in Kentucky (family values and basketball) might as well make it a death sentence. Even if he survives to coach next season at Louisville (and I do believe he will), he is going to be facing a raging inferno with a predominantly Catholic city, a fan base that is going to likely shift further blue with Calipari in town, and possibly Catholic donors calling for his head.

WVRed
08-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Honestly, can you imagine the UK-U of L game this year at Rupp? It is going to be even more crazy with this involved if Pitino is patrolling the sidelines.

Joseph
08-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Wowsers

KoryMac5
08-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Yep, Catholic and in a predominantly Catholic area.

In all honesty, anywhere else this might not be that big of a deal. The fact that it did happen in Kentucky (family values and basketball) might as well make it a death sentence. Even if he survives to coach next season at Louisville (and I do believe he will), he is going to be facing a raging inferno with a predominantly Catholic city, a fan base that is going to likely shift further blue with Calipari in town, and possibly Catholic donors calling for his head.

Unless he wins. Thats all that will matter in the end is whether he wins or loses.

WVRed
08-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Unless he wins. Thats all that will matter in the end is whether he wins or loses.

Short term, maybe. If you are the parent of a top level recruit coming out of high school though, would you really want your son to be a part of the circus that is going to be Louisville basketball?

This is probably going to kill the Cards in terms of recruiting. Actually wouldn't surprise me if it ends up costing them Marquis Teague as a result.

If this was the NBA, it might not mean as much. College sports where the university is often the face of a city, state, or even region it is going to have an impact.

KoryMac5
08-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Most parents only care about whether or not their kid is going to be a star or not. Is he going to learn what he needs to know from Pitino to get him to the next level. Most of the star players won't even stay 2 years now. All they know is that Pitino is a star coach with NBA experience from a big time school that plays in the Big East. Ethics and values may matter to some parents but future dollar signs far outweigh those morals and ethics.

GIDP
08-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Stay classy rick

Scrap Irony
08-11-2009, 11:10 PM
It may not kill Cardinal recruiting, but it's silly to think it won't affect it. Worse for the program, the PR hit-- especially after Kentucky's situation has turned around and is perhaps the hottest program in the NCAA-- is almost untenable.

The majority of Louisville isn't catholic, as WVRed says, but it is squarely midwestern in its values. (Two well-respected and fairly large religious seminaries reside in the city, as did the Southern Baptist headquarters for a decade or so.) The daliance with Sypher is bad enough, but the abortion, to many in this area of the country, is unforgiveable.

Dark, dark times for Lousville ahead, assuming truth. Wins may help some, but this stink won't go away unless Pitino does as well.

Chip R
08-11-2009, 11:11 PM
So why is ESPN reporting on this? It's not a criminal case.

GIDP
08-11-2009, 11:14 PM

:laugh: I didnt even think about this one.

Scrap Irony
08-11-2009, 11:34 PM
"Pitino will not take a leave of absence," according to Andy Katz.

KoryMac5
08-11-2009, 11:40 PM
It may not kill Cardinal recruiting, but it's silly to think it won't affect it. Worse for the program, the PR hit-- especially after Kentucky's situation has turned around and is perhaps the hottest program in the NCAA-- is almost untenable.

The majority of Louisville isn't catholic, as WVRed says, but it is squarely midwestern in its values. (Two well-respected and fairly large religious seminaries reside in the city, as did the Southern Baptist headquarters for a decade or so.) The daliance with Sypher is bad enough, but the abortion, to many in this area of the country, is unforgiveable.

Dark, dark times for Lousville ahead, assuming truth. Wins may help some, but this stink won't go away unless Pitino does as well.

Short term it hurts but it really depends on what kind of start Louisville has to their season. If Pitino and company comes out of the gate strong I think this quiets down, if he struggles early in the season the press will be pushing this story non stop as the reason why. One key factor is whether or not Pitino is proactive in addressing this with the fans and boosters. If he comes out and apologizes for his actions it may go a long way in the eyes of many.

KoryMac5
08-11-2009, 11:41 PM
"Pitino will not take a leave of absence," according to Andy Katz.

That changes everything.

dabvu2498
08-11-2009, 11:53 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, Ralph Willard!

flyer85
08-11-2009, 11:59 PM
his job is to win, if he keeps doing that all will be forgiven

Boston Red
08-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, Ralph Willard!

Nah, Denny Crum already sits in the stands for most games. May as well let him coach. He couldn't recruit at the end, but he never forgot how to coach. Crum + stocked roster = happiness.

Obviously wouldn't happen, but it's more fun than thinking about Pitino banging a mental patient in a restaurant.

dsmith421
08-12-2009, 12:58 AM

I don't think Calipari will be able to top this.

WMR
08-12-2009, 01:09 AM
I don't think Calipari will be able to top this.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

joshnky
08-12-2009, 06:24 AM
The majority of Louisville isn't catholic, as WVRed says, but it is squarely midwestern in its values. (Two well-respected and fairly large religious seminaries reside in the city, as did the Southern Baptist headquarters for a decade or so.)

I was just about to post the same thing. The city has a large Southern Baptist influence with the flagship seminary for that denomination.

As others have said, I'm not sure how this ends well. Best case for Pitino, it all comes out now and then everyone forgets about it a year from now. The fact that this case appears that it will drag on and provide new revelations as it goes will not be good. If the team underachieves this year, there will be a lot of people calling for him to retire.

cumberlandreds
08-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Terrible,terrible story. These rumors had been around for a while and I was hoping they were not true. Pitino brought all of this on himself and I feel no pity at all for him. The woman is crazy to boot which makes it a soap opera. I don't see how Pitino survives this. He will at least take a leave of absence and eventually resign,IMO. No matter what Andy Katz says. This explains the Ralph Willard hire. He will probably take over. Also explains why his son left for Florida. I can't blame him for not wanting to be around his dad and all this mess. I really do feel bad for his wife and children. I'm sure its bad enough to go through this in a private manner. But for the whole thing to go public has to be truly horrible for them.

bucksfan2
08-12-2009, 08:19 AM

:thumbdown As a Catholic that is very hard to for me to understand. You call yourself a Catholic and then you pay for an abortion. Any respect Pitino ever had in my book is gone.

Highlifeman21
08-12-2009, 08:45 AM
So did she get the abortion, or just keep the $3K?

WVRed
08-12-2009, 10:04 AM
:thumbdown As a Catholic that is very hard to for me to understand. You call yourself a Catholic and then you pay for an abortion. Any respect Pitino ever had in my book is gone.

This is entirely rumor, but Sypher may not have been the first woman that Pitino had an extramarital affair with and then paid to have the child aborted. There were also some stories in Lexington that are similar. Of course, it's message board fodder.

WVRed
08-12-2009, 10:06 AM
I was just about to post the same thing. The city has a large Southern Baptist influence with the flagship seminary for that denomination.

As others have said, I'm not sure how this ends well. Best case for Pitino, it all comes out now and then everyone forgets about it a year from now. The fact that this case appears that it will drag on and provide new revelations as it goes will not be good. If the team underachieves this year, there will be a lot of people calling for him to retire.

What's bad is I completely forgot about the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary being in Louisville, lol. Louisville probably does have more Catholic influence though than anywhere else in the state. A lot of private Catholic schools to boot.

If Pitino resigns, I would hope Willard takes over for this year only and they go after somebody next season. Willard is not a long term solution.

Chip R
08-12-2009, 10:09 AM

Yeah, but he didn't use birth control so doesn't that even out? ;)

M2
08-12-2009, 10:46 AM

I think everyone's always suspected that, with Pitino, beneath the expensive suits and haircuts and behind the PR skills lurks an inner scumbag. Even back when he was at BU the rumor was he was as much a player as a coach.

Reds4Life
08-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Pitino has always been a ladies man, this is nothing new. He isn't going to lose his job either. As long as he wins, he stays.

You'd think he could have done better than this crazy woman, from her pics she looks like she's been rode hard and hung up wet.

joshnky
08-12-2009, 01:01 PM
If Pitino resigns, I would hope Willard takes over for this year only and they go after somebody next season. Willard is not a long term solution.

The more I read about this the more I think he should be asked to resign:

1) This was a leaked police report and Pitino still has not come public on this. If he went public, admitted to everything (including future revelations), and apologized, the situation would be different. He is still hiding behind the "private family matter" excuse which won't fly when you're a public figure. The whole deal makes him appear unapologetic and arrogant.

2) Dr. Ramsey, the university president, was apparently caught off guard by this and claimed to know nothing futher than the initial extortion allegation. It appears that Pitino was not entirely truthful with Ramsey and Jurich.

3) Apparently his contract has a morality cause which this would certainly fall under.

The whole situation is awful and the fact that he paid for an abortion to cover it up is despicable. If he would have come out six months ago and admitted to all of this, we would be past it and Louisville fans would be back to hating Kragthorpe. Now this has dragged on and each month brings new allegations and futher tarnishes his image.

I hate what this means for the basketball program if he resigns but it is time to move seperate ways and seperate the university from the embarassment.

joshnky
08-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Pitino has always been a ladies man, this is nothing new. He isn't going to lose his job either.

The abortion and public nature of this makes it something new. Previously, there were only rumors and accusations. This, on the other hand, has become a federal case.

cumberlandreds
08-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Pitino's contract has a morals clause that could mean the end. Also it doesn't sound like he was as honest as should have been with the UL president either when they talked about this early on.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090812/SPORTS02/908120382/Pitino+contract+contains+morality+clause

Joseph
08-12-2009, 01:20 PM
He's charmed many of us as basketball fans, its no surprise he's charmed many ladies in his day as well.

joshnky
08-12-2009, 01:21 PM
I expect that we'll know one way or the other by the end of the week. He'll come out with Jurich and his wife and either ask for forgiveness at which point Jurich will reiterate his commitment to Pitino OR he'll announce his resignation so that he can "fix" things with his family. They have to resolve this or it will affect the team and hurt recruiting. If option one occurs, whether the fans forgive him will depend on whether he wins.

flyer85
08-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Pitino's contract has a morals clause that could mean the end. Also it doesn't sound like he was as honest as should have been with the UL president either when they talked about this early on.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090812/SPORTS02/908120382/Pitino+contract+contains+morality+clauseif UofL were to can him there is no way they could replace him with a guy who will win more. He may not survive but my guess is that the inclination of those in charge is going to be to try and get through this with him as head coach.

He may be a scumbag ... but he is one who wins and in todays environment that is what really counts.

WMR
08-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Wonder if he'll be busting out that white suit again anytime soon? :laugh:

Hoosier Red
08-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Wonder if he'll be busting out that white suit again anytime soon? :laugh:

I'm not sure this off season could have gone any better for WMR. The only possibilities for improvement I see are Bruce Pearl and/or Tom Crean getting caught changing grades.

Caveat Emperor
08-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Infidelity from a celebrity? I'm shocked.

Pitino will be fine. He's a winning coach, and winning cures all ills. He's far from the first person who has cheated on his wife and gotten caught.

Chip R
08-12-2009, 02:25 PM
if UofL were to can him there is no way they could replace him with a guy who will win more. He may not survive but my guess is that the inclination of those in charge is going to be to try and get through this with him as head coach.

He may be a scumbag ... but he is one who wins and in todays environment that is what really counts.

Sure. It depends on what the U of L values more, a coach who isn't a scumbag (yet) or winning. If it's the latter, they will keep Pitino on. It's August so it's pretty late to make a change.

Reds4Life
08-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Louisville would be stupid to fire him. If they do, there will be teams waiting in line to sign him.

He ain't going anywhere.

Chip R
08-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Louisville would be stupid to fire him. If they do, there will be teams waiting in line to sign him.

He ain't going anywhere.

Don't know about that. There have been rumors about his retirement lately so other schools may not be so hot to take on an aging coach who is in the middle of a sex scandal.

Reds4Life
08-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Don't know about that. There have been rumors about his retirement lately so other schools may not be so hot to take on an aging coach who is in the middle of a sex scandal.

He wins, and he can still recruit with the best in the game. Money has a way of making people rethink the retirement question.

jojo
08-12-2009, 02:40 PM
We know that he paid her to have an abortion. Are we sure that she was even pregnant?

Sea Ray
08-12-2009, 03:03 PM
We know that he paid her to have an abortion. Are we sure that she was even pregnant?

Supposedly she did have the abortion in Cincinnati. The article mentioned in the first post said this:

But Karen Sypher insisted that the incident occurred between the time she had an ultrasound test confirming the pregnancy on Aug. 26, 2003, and Aug. 29, 2003, when she had an abortion in Cincinnati, according to police records.

She's the tramp in all of this. She's the one who's on the line for 5 yrs in a federal prison for extortion. I doubt Louisville will can a coach for being unfaithful to his wife. They'd be canning coaches every couple years. She was the one who made the abortion decision; not Pitino. In our society women control those decisions and I'm sure Pitino was legally responsible for at least half her expenses. So I don't see a problem with him giving her 3 grand.

His big mistake was who he chose to screw around with. I'd think he could do better and see through these kind of gold digging women

WMR
08-12-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure this off season could have gone any better for WMR. The only possibilities for improvement I see are Bruce Pearl and/or Tom Crean getting caught changing grades.

:lol: :laugh: :lol:

You're killing me.

Scrap Irony
08-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Supposedly she did have the abortion in Cincinnati. The article mentioned in the first post said this:

She's the tramp in all of this. She's the one who's on the line for 5 yrs in a federal prison for extortion. I doubt Louisville will can a coach for being unfaithful to his wife. They'd be canning coaches every couple years. She was the one who made the abortion decision; not Pitino. In our society women control those decisions and I'm sure Pitino was legally responsible for at least half her expenses. So I don't see a problem with him giving her 3 grand.

His big mistake was who he chose to screw around with. I'd think he could do better and see through these kind of gold digging women

While I will agree that she bears some responsibility (especially for the alleged extortion, it's certainly not all on her. And that double standard between male and female reeks of misogyny. (Tramp? If she is, so is he.) Pitino deserves a bit of a backlash here, IMO-- he cheated (wrong), he willingly paid for an abortion (worse, to some), and then, if current reports are correct, lied about it (to some extent).

Scrap Irony
08-12-2009, 03:40 PM
I don't know if I agree about winning curing all ills here. While that could be true, you may be underestimating the Midwestern Bible Belt mentality, both here in Louisville and across the nation. Pitino could shortly become a coaching pariah, at least in this part of the world.

Certainly, Kentucky fans are going to make it difficult for the Cards coach to let it go. More importantly, in a culture constantly wide-eyed about celebrity problems, the media is going to go after him relentlessly. Pitino is a pretty arrogant guy who hates to be questioned, let alone challenged. His conference is also dominated by large media outlets with reporters who are less likely to stay silent and respect his "privacy" (or "family problems" or however he will spin it). Heck, even newspaper difficulties could really affect Pitino, as they're more likely to create news rather than simply report what happens for circulation.

In short, lots of possible problems may make this situation virtually impossible to live through, let alone coach.

Reds4Life
08-12-2009, 03:54 PM
I don't know if I agree about winning curing all ills here. While that could be true, you may be underestimating the Midwestern Bible Belt mentality, both here in Louisville and across the nation. Pitino could shortly become a coaching pariah, at least in this part of the world.

Certainly, Kentucky fans are going to make it difficult for the Cards coach to let it go. More importantly, in a culture constantly wide-eyed about celebrity problems, the media is going to go after him relentlessly. Pitino is a pretty arrogant guy who hates to be questioned, let alone challenged. His conference is also dominated by large media outlets with reporters who are less likely to stay silent and respect his "privacy" (or "family problems" or however he will spin it). Heck, even newspaper difficulties could really affect Pitino, as they're more likely to create news rather than simply report what happens for circulation.

In short, lots of possible problems may make this situation virtually impossible to live through, let alone coach.

UK fans will crow about it, no doubt, but Calipari isn't Mr. Squeeky Clean either. Granted he hasn't been involved in any sex scandals, but he's going to have his second final 4 appearance vacated.

jojo
08-12-2009, 04:02 PM
UK fans will crow about it, no doubt, but Calipari isn't Mr. Squeeky Clean either. Granted he hasn't been involved in any sex scandals, but he's going to have his second final 4 appearance vacated.

Kentucky fans had a significant period of squeaky clean (Tubby) and decided they didn't like it. I'm not sure they have a moral high ground that affords much of a view historically.

WMR
08-12-2009, 04:04 PM

Is that a fact? I haven't heard much about the investigation recently...

WMR
08-12-2009, 04:07 PM
As a Kentucky fan, I don't care nearly as much about this situation with Louisville as I would have if we still had Flubby and/or BCG and were struggling to break the top 25.

I'm so focused on Kentucky and Kentucky's chances of making a Final Four, I'm honestly not nearly as interested in Louisville's downfall. I don't even really care to talk smack to Louisville fans about it... I'm focused on Kentucky.

jojo
08-12-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm focused on Kentucky.

You're likely in for a magical ride.

dabvu2498
08-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Kentucky fans had a significant period of squeaky clean (Tubby) and decided they didn't like it. I'm not sure they have a moral high ground that affords much of a view historically.

Least we forget that when Pitino left Kentucky, he was a Gawd. And goodness knows this type of stuff could have been happening 12+ years ago when he was in Lexington.

Sea Ray
08-12-2009, 04:11 PM
While I will agree that she bears some responsibility (especially for the alleged extortion, it's certainly not all on her. And that double standard between male and female reeks of misogyny. (Tramp? If she is, so is he.) Pitino deserves a bit of a backlash here, IMO-- he cheated (wrong), he willingly paid for an abortion (worse, to some), and then, if current reports are correct, lied about it (to some extent).

Where's the double standard? One is accusing the other of rape and tried to extort millions of dollars from the other. I'm not getting the double standard thing.

If you think less of anyone who cheats on their wives then you'll be disappointed in many public figures. I have no idea what his marital situation is so I'll leave that between him and his wife.

My opinion is he was legally responsible for contributing to an abortion if that's what she chose.

If he lied then I'd like to hear about it. If he lied to U of L then he could be in trouble with them. I know I wouldn't tolerate that from my employees.

WMR
08-12-2009, 04:11 PM
From what folks tell me, it was DEFINITELY happening at UK. Not the abortion part, as far as I know, but Pitino has always been a dog.

WMR
08-12-2009, 04:13 PM
I don't think the screwing around part hurts him much at all. It's the abortion that could end up costing him his job. Extremely interested to see how the big donor catholics and the catholic leadership in Louisville respond to this.

WMR
08-12-2009, 04:17 PM
You're likely in for a magical ride.

I hope so. The excitement is already at a near fever pitch in Lexington.

Bball season is going to be crazy. Like old times.

M2
08-12-2009, 05:39 PM
I'd be surprised if Pitino loses his job over this. He hasn't broken any laws, that pretty much nullifies any morality clause kicking in.

But it's fun to watch him twist.

And I'd guess he'll parachute out of that job soon enough and into the next tawdry soap opera.

Blimpie
08-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Infidelity from a celebrity? I'm shocked.

Pitino will be fine. He's a winning coach, and winning cures all ills. He's far from the first person who has cheated on his wife and gotten caught.Agreed. In this day and age, his supporters should be thankful he was not caught the same manner in which Steve McNair was caught.

Scrap Irony
08-12-2009, 07:44 PM

Once again, Calipari didn't have anything to do with either Final Four indiscretion. At least he's innocent of wrongdoing according to the NCAA. But hey, if you say it long enough...

(Not that I'm a Calipari apologist. He's probably dirty as it relates to NCAA sanctions, as are ALL NCAA Division I hoops coaches. (IMO) But to say, over and over, he's guilty despite NCAA investigations, smacks of silliness.

Scrap Irony
08-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Where's the double standard? One is accusing the other of rape and tried to extort millions of dollars from the other. I'm not getting the double standard thing.

If you think less of anyone who cheats on their wives then you'll be disappointed in many public figures. I have no idea what his marital situation is so I'll leave that between him and his wife.

My opinion is he was legally responsible for contributing to an abortion if that's what she chose.

If he lied then I'd like to hear about it. If he lied to U of L then he could be in trouble with them. I know I wouldn't tolerate that from my employees.

Seriously? You called her a tart, yet excused him of cheating because other public officials do it. You don't see the double standard there?

And, for the record, yes, I think less of people because they cheat on their wives. It doesn't matter if he's a public official or not.

And, at least according to his quotes last night on ESPN, the president of the University intimated that, while Pitino had told him some of what had happened, he hadn't been entirely truthful. (Of course, I don't know if that's any of the university's business, truth be told.)

cincrazy
08-12-2009, 07:55 PM
I will be absolutely stunned if they canned him. Bottom line is, he's built an absolute MONSTER, college basketball is a business, and Pitino is good for business. It'd be suicide for Louisville to can him, whether they should or shouldn't.

Now, if this continues to drag on, and more things are revealed, I'll be singing a different tune.

Reds4Life
08-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Once again, Calipari didn't have anything to do with either Final Four indiscretion. At least he's innocent of wrongdoing according to the NCAA. But hey, if you say it long enough...

(Not that I'm a Calipari apologist. He's probably dirty as it relates to NCAA sanctions, as are ALL NCAA Division I hoops coaches. (IMO) But to say, over and over, he's guilty despite NCAA investigations, smacks of silliness.

Yeah, it's 100% coincidence. :rolleyes:

joshnky
08-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I expect that we'll know one way or the other by the end of the week. He'll come out with Jurich and his wife and either ask for forgiveness at which point Jurich will reiterate his commitment to Pitino OR he'll announce his resignation so that he can "fix" things with his family. They have to resolve this or it will affect the team and hurt recruiting. If option one occurs, whether the fans forgive him will depend on whether he wins.

Well it looks like option #1. Pitino just confessed, apologized, and asked for forgiveness. Ramsey and Jurich both expressed disappointment but reiterated that people make mistakes and they're standing behind Pitino. Given that football starts in three weeks, I anticipate that this will quickly be forgotten provided Pitino delivers the W's.

He also added the following:

Two weeks later, the married father of five gave her $3,000 after she said she needed an abortion and didn't have health insurance, according to a summary of Pitino's July 12 statement to police. His attorney said Wednesday that the money was to help her get medical coverage, not specifically to pay for an abortion.

Now, I don't believe this for a minute, but it provides a way out for people looking for a reason to forgive him.

dabvu2498
08-12-2009, 08:40 PM
nm

jojo
08-12-2009, 09:03 PM

Gene Keady and Bobby Knight were clean IMHO.

jojo
08-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Well it looks like option #1. Pitino just confessed, apologized, and asked for forgiveness. Ramsey and Jurich both expressed disappointment but reiterated that people make mistakes and they're standing behind Pitino. Given that football starts in three weeks, I anticipate that this will quickly be forgotten provided Pitino delivers the W's.

He also added the following:

Now, I don't believe this for a minute, but it provides a way out for people looking for a reason to forgive him.

I don't think abortions cost $3,000 though.

Sea Ray
08-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Seriously? You called her a tart, yet excused him of cheating because other public officials do it. You don't see the double standard there?

And, for the record, yes, I think less of people because they cheat on their wives. It doesn't matter if he's a public official or not.

And, at least according to his quotes last night on ESPN, the president of the University intimated that, while Pitino had told him some of what had happened, he hadn't been entirely truthful. (Of course, I don't know if that's any of the university's business, truth be told.)

The only time I've used the word tart is when I'm speaking of something that comes up out of the toaster so no I did not call her a tart. I assume you are saying I accused her of prostitution. Unless you think Pitino was also guilty of prostitution I don't get the double standard thing.

I don't care if coaches cheat on their wives. I do care if Pastors and others do if they put themselves up as a symbol of morality. I don't look at sports people as symbols of morality. I'd rather have Davey Johnson as manager of my baseball team rather than the family man Ray Knight.

On your final point we are in total agreement. If he lied to the Pres of the University he's got a real problem.

Scrap Irony
08-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Tramp = Tart

jojo
08-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Tramp = Tart

So is a trampoline the same thing as a tartoline? :cool:

WVRed
08-12-2009, 10:10 PM

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Pitino could possibly get away with this if he coached anywhere outside of the Bible belt. Fans at both Louisville and UK will likely not forget this for awhile, even if Louisville does well next season.

Another thing to consider, being the head basketball coach at Louisville carries just as much responsibility as being the head basketball coach at Kentucky. I know people will point that BCG was fired because he didn't win, but it was more because of his reluctance to accept being an ambassador for the state.

There are people out of state (and probably in-state, sadly) who would not know that Steve Bashear was the governor but would immediately name off John Calipari and Rick Pitino as the coaches at Kentucky and Louisville. That is where this scandal will ultimately impact Pitino.

Joseph
08-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Joanne Pitino is the most powerful person in the state right this moment.

If she elects to come out an support her husband it goes away sooner. If she comes out and files for divorce this beach bonfire erupts into a full blown California size wildfire.

jojo
08-12-2009, 10:23 PM
My guess is that the boosters that matter-the ones boosting donations to the athletic department-are less concerned about this than they are about a final four appearance.

WMR
08-12-2009, 10:27 PM
It hurts his legacy. That's what has got to kill him the most about all of this. His reputation, in the eyes of many, has been irrevocably damaged.

WVRed
08-12-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm curious what Louisville fans think of the 9/11 reference. For those who don't know, Pitino's brother in law was a stock trader who was killed during the twin tower collapse. There are some people I have read who have suggested it was a ploy to get people to feel sorry for him despite the fact that he cheated on his sister with Karen Sypher.

M2
08-12-2009, 11:38 PM
If she comes out and files for divorce this beach bonfire erupts into a full blown California size wildfire.

I'd be amazed if she filed for divorce. She's been putting up with his dalliances for decades. If she cared about that sort of thing, she'd have been gone long ago.

Blimpie
08-13-2009, 09:21 AM
I'd be amazed if she filed for divorce. She's been putting up with his dalliances for decades. If she cared about that sort of thing, she'd have been gone long ago.Bingo. They are the Bill and Hillary of collegiate athletics.

I am not implying that Pitino was anything OTHER than a scumbag in this ordeal; however, anyone who has spent more than two minutes around Joanne Pitino would tell you that it is hard for her to be considered a sympathetic figure.

More like a monster wearing eyeshadow.

MrsHammer
08-13-2009, 11:09 AM
The Smoking Gun website has nearly 200 pages of investigation documents, interview transcripts etc posted. I haven't read it all, but it gives a better picture of the facts I think.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0812093pitino1.html

You have to click on the 2 .pdf file links within the article to get to the gory details.

cincrazy
08-13-2009, 02:00 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jeff_pearlman/08/13/rick.pitino/index.html?eref=sihpT1

Nice article by Jeff Pearlman discussing college coaches and morality.

bucksfan2
08-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Joanne Pitino is the most powerful person in the state right this moment.

If she elects to come out an support her husband it goes away sooner. If she comes out and files for divorce this beach bonfire erupts into a full blown California size wildfire.

I agree. But if she decides to go down the path of divorce it is all how she handles it. If she makes it messy, the I don't see Slick Rick keeping his job. The last thing you want is an ugly divorce happening at the same time as a basketball season. If it is a quite, quick deal I don't think much will happen.

Boston Red
08-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Everyone has pretty much "known" that Pitino has been screwing around for years, and Joanne didn't divorce him. The only difference now is the public acknowledgment (which really doesn't mean anything for anyone who didn't have their head buried in the sand).

cumberlandreds
08-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Heres' a little more relevation via The New York Post.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=177&sid=1739982

Reds4Life
08-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Heres' a little more relevation via The New York Post.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=177&sid=1739982

This woman sounds like a total head case.

Note to Rick, for future affairs pick women who aren't insane.

WVRed
08-14-2009, 12:46 PM
This woman sounds like a total head case.

Note to Rick, for future affairs pick women who aren't insane.

Being the only UK fan where I work, I've had some people who follow sports who are even making reference to Pitino and one mentioned how unattractive she was. I still say she reminds me of Stifler's mom from American Pie.

WVRed
08-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Everyone has pretty much "known" that Pitino has been screwing around for years, and Joanne didn't divorce him. The only difference now is the public acknowledgment (which really doesn't mean anything for anyone who didn't have their head buried in the sand).

Which is where I would compare this with Steve McNair. McNair was cheating on his wife with the one who killed him, and she was distraught because she believed McNair was cheating on her with somebody else. You have to wonder in the McNair case if his wife knew it was going on and if she did, did she really care as long as she could still live the high life in Lexington/Louisville?

WMR
08-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Looks like a happy family to me... :confused:

http://www.truebluekentucky.com/images/fbfiles/images/Pitino.JPG

Scrap Irony
08-14-2009, 01:07 PM
If her house was indeed "bugged" by the feds, perhaps her claim has merit. I sincerely doubt, however, this is the case.

WMR
08-14-2009, 01:08 PM
If her house was indeed "bugged" by the feds, perhaps her claim has merit. I sincerely doubt, however, this is the case.

This is the only guy I've been able to find who believes her...

http://meltyourfaceoff.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/tin-foil-hat.jpg

BRM
08-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Looks like a happy family to me... :confused:

:lol:

Nice pic.

Reds4Life
08-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Being the only UK fan where I work, I've had some people who follow sports who are even making reference to Pitino and one mentioned how unattractive she was. I still say she reminds me of Stifler's mom from American Pie.

She is unattractive. You'd think Rick could do better......MUCH better.

WVRed
07-28-2010, 07:11 PM
The trials been going on all week.

This is a family board, but after reading some of the info about the case, it's safe to say Ms. Sypher has a preferred currency.