PDA

View Full Version : 4/19/09 - Reds vs Astros

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Razor Shines
04-19-2009, 11:25 PM
I think we should stick to discussing the Reds instead of picking on one person or another. While some people complain about cherry picking stats...some in this thread tend to cherry pick posts. FCB was far from "all negative" in this thread. He had some very astute and POSITIVE observations in it. Personality clashes aside, that sort of stuff belongs in PM's don't you all think?

He made a post that I disagreed with and wanted to contend his point, it went largely ignored during the game, so I responded. FCB's a big boy, he's used to arguing his points, if he thinks that I was over the top he could tell me and I'd apologize. Sometimes I agree with him, sometimes I don't.

Maybe you weren't specifically talking about me, but I don't have a personality clash with FCB and I have never said that he's all negative. The odd thing is that this season he's been one of the most optimistic people on this board about the offense. I just happen to disagree with him on how Joey looked this week.

_Sir_Charles_
04-19-2009, 11:29 PM
No, it wasn't you. There was someone who commented that FCB was a troll and why do people even read his posts, then several others who just blatantly dismissed his posts...because they were from him. I know he's been pretty negative in regards to the pitching...but you're spot on in terms of his assessment of the offense. Optimism all the way. And the picking on him hasn't been just today, but rather the past several game threads. I just think it's overboard is all.

And you're right...Joey's been fine this week. Not on fire like the first week, but still the best hitter BY FAR on the club.

Patrick Bateman
04-20-2009, 01:45 AM
Personally I think trying to evaluate hitters on a game by game basis, or even week by week basis is missing the point. A lot of the true skill level gets lost in the stats over such a small sample for a hitter.... luck and randomness comes into play way too much. I find it likely that Votto will continue to have good at bats, but will still see a regression. Some of his hard hit balls are going to naturally find gloves. Needless to say, I think he's had for the most part, consistently strong at-bats regrdless of what the stats say.

Ron Madden
04-20-2009, 02:42 AM
This gamethread wasn't any uglier than the game its self.

Glad the Reds got away with a win.

:thumbup:

jojo
04-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Personally I think trying to evaluate hitters on a game by game basis, or even week by week basis is missing the point. A lot of the true skill level gets lost in the stats over such a small sample for a hitter.... luck and randomness comes into play way too much. I find it likely that Votto will continue to have good at bats, but will still see a regression. Some of his hard hit balls are going to naturally find gloves. Needless to say, I think he's had for the most part, consistently strong at-bats regrdless of what the stats say.

I agree.

In the last 7 days, Votto has had 21 PAs. That's a sentence of Hemingway scrabbled on the wall of a garage where 6 different bands of twelve years olds are battling to see whose band can play "Fade to Black" the loudest----all simultaneously and just as poorly as you might assume from the stereotype.

PuffyPig
04-20-2009, 04:24 PM
This gamethread wasn't any uglier than the game its self.

But the Reds won the game.

The game thread is still a big, fat loser.

membengal
04-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Man, I don't think so. There's a little bit of everything in these. The raw emotion stuff can sometimes be over-the-top, but I love reading them after wins, even if I have not been able to participate in them.

mth123
04-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Other than a personal attack that was uncalled for, the gamethread was fine IMO. The pessimism had a sound basis. The fact that the reds won because they caught a few breaks at the end doesn't change what had been unfolding up until then.

If anything in this game thread was offensive (besides the personal attack) it would be some one reading after the fact, who didn't follow the game, criticizing the observations of those who posted as the game was going on and assuming the Reds win makes all the observations of poor play, control issues and putrid offense invalid.

WVRedsFan
04-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Man, I don't think so. There's a little bit of everything in these. The raw emotion stuff can sometimes be over-the-top, but I love reading them after wins, even if I have not been able to participate in them.

100% totally spot on.

Listen, no one has complained more about the game threads than yours truly over the years, but you absolutely cannot expect people to be of one mind. It's almost un-American. I've always compared the game thread to a bar where everyone is watching the game and discussing it. There will be Pollyannas and there will be Eyores in that group. Why in the world would anyone think that people would always say " that was a DP but wasn't it wonderful that we got to witness it?" after a twin killing? When the Reds go 15 straight innings without scoring, should everyone be chipper? That's not normal.

The game thread is life. I take a break every now and then. I highly recommend it. A few nights this week, I just walked away when the banter got personal, and we've even see that in the last day. But, unfortunately, it's the nature of the beast. As long as the mods point out the discretions and act accordingly, there shouldn't be a problem.

GAC
04-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Maybe they should send the game threads to the Peanut Gallery? :lol:

Discussing, disagreeing, and arguing baseball is no different then people talking politics or religion. At times it's gonna get dicey because of the diversity of people. Everyone thinks their position is the right one.

Face it! We all love to argue.

WVRedsFan
04-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Maybe they should send the game threads to the Peanut Gallery? :lol:

Discussing, disagreeing, and arguing baseball is no different then people talking politics or religion. At times it's gonna get dicey because of the diversity of people. Everyone thinks their position is the right one.

Face it! We all love to argue.

Exactly, GAC. You and I go around sometimes, but that's baseball.

Ron Madden
04-21-2009, 02:40 AM
But the Reds won the game.

The game thread is still a big, fat loser.

Many of us enjoy reading through these threads after each and every game.

Sure there may be some opposing view points in these threads but some of us find those interesting.

I don't mean to offend you here but if you don't like game threads you don't have to read them. Just pass'em by and leave'em to us loosers.

;)