PDA

View Full Version : The "Is It Just Me?" thread

BUTLER REDSFAN
04-19-2009, 10:09 PM
After two weeks worth of games I have compiled some of the following....Is it just me or...............

1. Weathers and Cordero are incapable of having a 1-2-3 inning.
2. Outside of the Hr against Pittsburgh last week has BP had a hit?
3. Does it take BP at least 5 seconds to make a swing?
4. Does Votto seemingly come off the bag early on every throw to 1st base??
5. Is it at least the 5th inning before we get a hit in most games?
6. I know its just from what I can see on tv but it really looks like some of the players just aren't mentally into what they are doing at the time.
7. Dickerson would be a solid player if they let him start 2 games in a row?
8. Taveras seems to be a pleasant surprise so far.
9. Every borderline pitch that goes for strikes against our batters are called balls for the other team.
10. For a team not supposed to hit home runs it seems we have hit a fair share of them so far and for a team built on speed,defense that doesn't seem to have developed yet.

The thing I love is as of tonight we are over .500 with several of our players not hitting at all yet and some of the pitching has been so-so at best. If this all clicks at some point I think this team will be a lot better than some think.

Ghosts of 1990
04-19-2009, 10:49 PM
agree with everything but the home runs. We haven't hit many at all. Votto is the only guy with two. Some other guys have one. The power has been minor league like.

NeilHamburger
04-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Yeah, the Reds are last in all of baseball in extra base hits. So, as the HR's go, it is just you.

OSUredsFAN
04-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Didn't Stormy Weathers have a 1-2-3 the other day?

Slyder
04-19-2009, 11:19 PM
The Reds are just getting them at "key points". Twice this year we've won games where a Home Run has been the ONLY non 0 on the scoreboard. Maybe thats why it seems like were hitting quite a few but theres been a lot of bad 0 innings for this club so far.

tommycash
04-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Is it me, or are the Reds 6-5 and 1 game out of first place? Is it me, or are almost all of the posts on the SunDeck bashing at least one Red every day? Is it me, or are win and losses the only real stat that counts (team wins and losses that is)? I don't mind criticism guys, but can we give this team a chance.
Based on the threads I have read over the last week, we should get rid of the following players, or bench them forever, move them to other positions:

Harang, Arroyo, Owings, Bruce, Hernandez, Gonzales, Phillips, EdE, Taveres, Nix, Weathers, Cordero, Cueto, Volquez and I even saw a thread talking down about Votto.

We are 6-5, lets have the we are terrible talks when we are 5 or more games under .500.
I want the Reds to make the playoffs, but I think a more realistic goal is to get to .500 or better for the season. Right now we are on track for that. Lets be happy with that so far.

Ghosts of 1990
04-19-2009, 11:40 PM
we're going to play better then this last 10 game stretch... but I think the offense will be a common theme problem all year

gedred69
04-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Is it me, or are the Reds 6-5 and 1 game out of first place? Is it me, or are almost all of the posts on the SunDeck bashing at least one Red every day? Is it me, or are win and losses the only real stat that counts (team wins and losses that is)? I don't mind criticism guys, but can we give this team a chance.
Based on the threads I have read over the last week, we should get rid of the following players, or bench them forever, move them to other positions:

Harang, Arroyo, Owings, Bruce, Hernandez, Gonzales, Phillips, EdE, Taveres, Nix, Weathers, Cordero, Cueto, Volquez and I even saw a thread talking down about Votto.

We are 6-5, lets have the we are terrible talks when we are 5 or more games under .500.
I want the Reds to make the playoffs, but I think a more realistic goal is to get to .500 or better for the season. Right now we are on track for that. Lets be happy with that so far.

Yep! The bashing gets really annoying sometimes. I'm thinking this site is filled with potential GMs.----------NOT!!!

JayBruceFan
04-20-2009, 01:34 AM
Is it just me or are there a lot of whiners on here that know very little about the game?

brachial pleXUs
04-20-2009, 01:54 AM
Is it just me or are there a lot of whiners on here that know very little about the game?

You could be describing anyone from the bashers to the basher-bashers. I'm glad the Reds have won as man games as they have, but there are definitely some problem areas right now. It's foolhardy to be overly optimistic, but to be honest there are some posters on RZ who are so gloomy and miserable that Jim Rome would call them Red Sox fans.

BIGGIN
04-20-2009, 03:10 AM
well I think ol' Willy has been a great addition so far, glad to see the guy in a Cincinnati uniform...BUT, Is it just me or should he be running more when he gets on base...I am by no means hating on him for anything, he has the best OBP on the team right now if I am not mistaken..I figured he had the green light when he gets on base...He is fast enough to run on most pitchers and catchers in the league, he proved that last year...

ChatterRed
04-20-2009, 08:47 AM
I believe the Reds are 6th best in winning percentage in the NL, are they not? Is it just me, or is that pretty good?

ChatterRed
04-20-2009, 08:55 AM
I believe the Reds are 4-2 so far on this road trip, are they not? Is it just me, or is that pretty good?

tommycash
04-20-2009, 08:56 AM
I believe the Reds are 4-2 so far on this road trip, are they not? Is it just me, or is that pretty good?

I am with you.

big boy
04-20-2009, 12:22 PM
1. Weathers and Cordero are incapable of having a 1-2-3 inning.
I think (hope) that these two know who they will let beat them and who they won't. That strategy may put some runners on.

7. Dickerson would be a solid player if they let him start 2 games in a row?
Agreed. They may be using the same approach as they did with Votto last year.

He got it!
04-20-2009, 01:01 PM
As far as number 9 on your list goes...I feel the same way.

I think it's called being a homer.

Except for Joe West squeezing Cueto the other night. That was pretty bad, even Astro fans have to admit.

$1 Hot Dog
04-20-2009, 01:30 PM
People need to back off of this team. It has only been 11 games! I for one am more optimistic than ever because have of this team is hitting below .200 right now and they are winning. Volquez and Cueto haven't lived up to their potential. The way they are playing, I think that other teams should be really worried that if the Reds are an over .500 team when they only have a few players playing to their potential, than how are they going to look when they start doing what we all know they will do. I'm not saying everybody is going to hit .300 this year but I think everybody can agree that Phillips, Bruce, EdE, aren't going to hit .180. If we are a 6-5 team when they are playing like this, then what are we going to be when everybody starts doing good?

BLEEDS
04-20-2009, 01:58 PM

Is it me, or isn't this exactly what Message Boards are for? :)

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BLEEDS
04-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Yeah, the Reds are last in all of baseball in extra base hits. So, as the HR's go, it is just you.

The Reds are dead last in the league with a .337 slugging percentage.

'Nuf said.

Walks are good - but only if they are followed-up/off-set by HR's.

Our current OBP can best be summarized as "clogging up the bases".

PEACE

-BLEEDS

ChatterRed
04-20-2009, 02:09 PM
The Reds are dead last in the league with a .337 slugging percentage.

'Nuf said.

Walks are good - but only if they are followed-up/off-set by HR's.

Our current OBP can best be summarized as "clogging up the bases".

PEACE

-BLEEDS

......and still 6-5........the mark of a good team.........knows how to win when things aren't going well at the plate..........:beerme:

BLEEDS
04-20-2009, 05:56 PM
......and still 6-5........the mark of a good team.........knows how to win when things aren't going well at the plate..........:beerme:

Or just ridiculously lucky.

Don't read me wrong, I'll take it, just know it won't hold up forever.

Here's to hoping our BB% drop to the mean coincides with a BA and SLG rise to the mean.

Unfortunately, most of our means aren't very MEAN - if you know what I mean...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

ChatterRed
04-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Or just ridiculously lucky.

Don't read me wrong, I'll take it, just know it won't hold up forever.

Here's to hoping our BB% drop to the mean coincides with a BA and SLG rise to the mean.

Unfortunately, most of our means aren't very MEAN - if you know what I mean...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Whaddya mean?:D

brachial pleXUs
04-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Whaddya mean?:D

All of this talk is giving this thread quite a mean mien.
I'm sorry. Sometimes I just can't help myself.

Eric_the_Red
04-21-2009, 06:13 AM
All of this talk is giving this thread quite a mean mien.
I'm sorry. Sometimes I just can't help myself.

Do you mean it's taking on a mean lean? Is that the thing?