PDA

View Full Version : Proud of players; Disappointed in Ownership.....

ChatterRed
04-21-2009, 12:07 AM
7-5............having won 2 road trips. Gotta give it to the players.

If anyone has any griping to do.........do it toward ownership/management. It doesn't take a genius to see what this team needed.......and ownership told us all offseason what they needed to fill, and they didn't.

The offense struggles, and the pitching is pretty good so far. How long before opponents just stop pitching to Votto?

SoTxRedsFan
04-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Votto missed the granny by a foot.

Great game all around. Scary 8th, but Cordero is pitching well right now.

Ghosts of 1990
04-21-2009, 12:10 AM
I have to agree 1000%

I said it to my roomate tonight.... this team could be so dangerous with another professional hitter or two in the lineup. The players we have are playing hard and they're giving all they have.... but ownership went the cheap route and short changed a group that could win before schedule.

My only hope is the hot start continues, the pitching holds up, and Big Bob wakes up in June and they start going after help by the way of offense. That has been my hope all along. We have to win all we can before the trade deadline and maybe just maybe they'll go and get us some help and add payroll

ryanparkersongs
04-21-2009, 12:11 AM
You've got a good point in that they may stop pitching to Votto, but I find hope in the fact that Phillips and/or Bruce may come to life at some point. They can't be as bad as they've been so far. Besides, the pitching is pretty solid all the way around. Every night I feel like we've got a chance to win and that's a good feeling.

RedLakerFan24
04-21-2009, 12:13 AM
We Need Magglio

Captain Hook
04-21-2009, 12:16 AM
7-5............having won 2 road trips. Gotta give it to the players.

If anyone has any griping to do.........do it toward ownership/management. It doesn't take a genius to see what this team needed.......and ownership told us all offseason what they needed to fill, and they didn't.

The offense struggles, and the pitching is pretty good so far. How long before opponents just stop pitching to Votto?

Well said.

ChatterRed
04-21-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm looking around at the "bad" mlb teams so far for a trading partner. San Fran isn't going anywhere. Aaron Rowand plays CF and turns 32 in late August. He's not a big bat, per se, but he is a career .283 hitter in 8 previous seasons, and has hit 24 and 27 HR's in a couple of those seasons, bearing in mind he's played for lousy teams. Career OBP of .343 and an OPS of .797 (almost .800). Also, he's a righty. I might take a look at him if San Fran is willing for a reasonable return.

Captain Hook
04-21-2009, 12:18 AM
I still don't understand some of what Dusty does but he deserves some credit as well.

DTCromer
04-21-2009, 12:19 AM
So one of either Jermaine Dye, Bobby Abreu, or some other washed up scrub was going to make this playoff team this year?

I don't care about making the playoffs. I care about winning a world championship. 2010 is the team's year to make a run at a championship. I feel Jocketty rightfully punted on finding a bat to wait for next year to find a legitimate bat in the middle of this order. There wasn't anyone out there to make THAT much of a difference in this year's team.

Not to mention, Jocketty's special is the trade deadline. If we're in it in July, he'll make a nice trade. Trust me.

PhillipsHead
04-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Our bats will collectively pick up. Phillips and EE can't keep hitting sub .200 and we haven't been hitting homers...things will pick up at the plate...

ChatterRed
04-21-2009, 12:23 AM
So one of either Jermaine Dye, Bobby Abreu, or some other washed up scrub was going to make this playoff team this year?

I don't care about making the playoffs. I care about winning a world championship. 2010 is the team's year to make a run at a championship. I feel Jocketty rightfully punted on finding a bat to wait for next year to find a legitimate bat in the middle of this order. There wasn't anyone out there to make THAT much of a difference in this year's team.

Not to mention, Jocketty's special is the trade deadline. If we're in it in July, he'll make a nice trade. Trust me.

I agree somewhat. I really didn't want Abreu, Burrell or Dye. But I was hoping they would make a trade for someone else that would help. Magglio was my first choice.

I still wouldn't mind finding someone now to help out a bit. But it's also more than likely that this poor offense is just an early season slump and some of these bats will wake up soon.

Griffey012
04-21-2009, 12:27 AM
They may have not gotten a big bat we need, but the acquisitions of Rhodes and Taveras have been big so far. Now that Taveres is looking like the spark we need at the top, I am sure ownership will start looking for the big bat once teams start to spread out and some are looking to deal. I am glad we didn't get stuck with Jermaine Dye for 10 million or whatever this season only to have it go to the crapper. Now that the change in philosophy is showing some worthiness I expect them to make a push for a big bat. If not, then I will be disappointed.

DTCromer
04-21-2009, 12:27 AM
I agree somewhat. I really didn't want Abreu, Burrell or Dye. But I was hoping they would make a trade for someone else that would help. Magglio was my first choice.

I still wouldn't mind finding someone now to help out a bit. But it's also more than likely that this poor offense is just an early season slump and some of these bats will wake up soon.

None of those guys were "worth" paying for. I wouldn't mind having Dye or any of those guys, but definitely not worth the money they were commanding.

Not to mention Abreu didn't even want to come here.

ChatterRed
04-21-2009, 12:35 AM
Well, if these guys can keep us in contention..........it will certainly make the trading deadline more interesting this year.

TC81190
04-21-2009, 12:36 AM
Hopefully after Bruce wakes up among other things, our success will carry on, and the team will force the hand of management to pick up a run producer in the middle of the line up.

WildcatFan
04-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Who is this "Bruce" character you speak of?

Hoosier1999
04-21-2009, 12:53 AM
I remember the last time we got a stud bat in a deal. His name was Griffey and that didn't turn out so well. We gotta build from within, give these boys a chance. its 2 weeks in and people are wanting a trade for a bat? I think we have some boys in the minors worth a shot long before some 32 year old has been.

Slyder
04-21-2009, 01:00 AM
I remember the last time we got a stud bat in a deal. His name was Griffey and that didn't turn out so well. We gotta build from within, give these boys a chance. its 2 weeks in and people are wanting a trade for a bat? I think we have some boys in the minors worth a shot long before some 32 year old has been.

Were not always going to be able to rely on closet reds like Geoff Geary to come in and serve up fat pitches for our guys to crush or load the bases with wacky control every game. Eventually this team will have to actually hit and looking at the lineup and expectations we desperately need 1 more BIG bat not just another Brandon Phillips but a true masher or else Votto will start getting the Dunn Treatment and not be allowed to beat anyone.

lidspinner
04-21-2009, 01:18 AM
Who is this "Bruce" character you speak of?

you mean the guy that swung at a ball as it bounced in the GRASS? :D I love Bruce but that was the worst swing I have ever seen in my 32 years of watching baseball when he swung at a ball that literally bounce 7 feet in front of the plate. we re-winded that so many times trying to figure out the exact distance it was from the plate to where it 1st hit. BUT, when he gets his swing down he will be a stud.

Captain Hook
04-21-2009, 01:40 AM

I see your point.I think we have a good young team here.But if this team is able to stay above .500 for a long enough time for it to not be considered a fluke then something needs done.Especially if they continue to hit the way they are.

I hope the guys currently on the team get hot and I'm wrong.It still seems like to me that we are missing something.I believe that the front office knows full well that they did not complete their job this off season.Possibly it was for a good reason.Baseball is after all a business.That being said I do think they did the best they could and hoped that this team could still compete with what they have.My hope is that they don't end up adopting the motto that .500 baseball is our goal when this team is all ready capable of that.If I'm right and thats the case why not get one more piece of the puzzle and shoot for the playoffs?

ian_madden
04-21-2009, 01:53 AM
This team is playing well, but it is, imo, above what they should be playing at. This team is a sub 500 team, this year. I believe that they will be contenders in the future. But we as fans need to get out and support this team. These guys have won in the minors, they are accustomed to winning. This is what they are used to. They are also used to having fans at the games. If we will go support the Bungles year in and year out even when Brown refuses to change anything, we need to support this team.

I am not disappointed in management, They had a plan they stuck with it. They went with youth, not the washed up has been as stated before, ie. Dye, Abreu, etc. If they keep winning, we need to show up to the ballpark. I will... Will you?

JBChance
04-21-2009, 02:14 AM
I still say that our biggest area of need is SS. Janish played good today and had a few hits, but we all know his limitations at the plate. AGon will be back in there tomorrow making an out.

We need two bats. An OF masher for the 4-hole and a SS that can hit. I think the FO is taking a wait-and-see approach with the team. The question still remains if they can hold on 'til help arrives. We won't be facing the offensive ineptitude of the Brewcrew and 'Strohs all season.

Frankly, the team has surprised me with its resilience. They keep coming and have several come from behind wins to their credit. That gives them a fighting chance. And I mean fighting because, as they have shown already, fight they will.

The players the club added in the offseason have been good, so far, with Rhodes clearly a shrewd pickup. But, we need the FO and ownership to step up and add the next (at least) two pieces we need. If they don't do that, then I'll be disappointed.

PhillipsHead
04-21-2009, 02:14 AM
We are winning with 5 regulars batting under .200

Everything will level out, and a trip to Chicago and then back home just might help.

ian_madden
04-21-2009, 02:30 AM
This team gives everyone a reason to stay till the end of the game. Its not over till its over.

Ghosts of 1990
04-21-2009, 03:02 AM
Hopefully after Bruce wakes up among other things, our success will carry on, and the team will force the hand of management to pick up a run producer in the middle of the line up.

I think the seller will be an AL team if there ends up being one....

Imagine if it is Tampa Bay and a Pat Burrell or the Yankees and ?

JBChance
04-21-2009, 03:10 AM
I think the seller will be an AL team if there ends up being one....

Imagine if it is Tampa Bay and a Pat Burrell or the Yankees and ?

I dream: Nick Swisher

Probably likely (next year): Xavier Nady