PDA

View Full Version : Going to see the Gwinett Braves & Durham Bulls

redsmetz
04-21-2009, 09:35 AM
My wife, my oldest daughter and I are heading down to Atlanta to see our younger daughter over Mother's Day weekend. Since the Braves are out of town, we decided to head up to Gwinett county on Sunday to see the Braves AAA club play against the Rays' top affiliate, the Durham Bulls. Should be nice with the brand new ballpark.

I'm not familiar with who the Braves and Rays top prospects at AAA are, so any heads up on who we should be watching for would be welcome. I'll give a report when we get back.

dougdirt
04-21-2009, 11:19 AM
If Tommy Hanson (Braves) is pitching, you really should keep an eye on him. He is really the only guy worth keeping an eye on for Gwinnett.

For Durham, there are several guys worth watching - Pitchers Wade Davis, David Price and Jake McGee are all top 100 prospects. Shortstop Reid Brignac is an interesting prospect to watch. They also have our old buddy Ray Olmedo.

redsmetz
04-21-2009, 12:55 PM
If Tommy Hanson (Braves) is pitching, you really should keep an eye on him. He is really the only guy worth keeping an eye on for Gwinnett.

For Durham, there are several guys worth watching - Pitchers Wade Davis, David Price and Jake McGee are all top 100 prospects. Shortstop Reid Brignac is an interesting prospect to watch. They also have our old buddy Ray Olmedo.

Thanks, Doug. Price was the #1 overall when he was drafted. I remember the name now. I also saw that Alvin Colina is one of the catchers for the Braves. He played for us last year.

bounty37h
04-21-2009, 04:37 PM
I just saw them play in Durham the other night. Price will be there, but there are a few others to watch for. Davis, Talbot, and Orvella are all good and should be in Tampa at some point soon. Brignac and Johnson impress me in the field, and Kennedy from the Cards plays with them now, as well as Ray Olmedo, our former guy :) Outfield not too impressive, Ruggiano, and Sadler are decent, but not stars.

redsmetz
05-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Looks like we'll get to see Hanson pitch for Gwinnett on Sunday since he pitched last night and the rotation will turn over to his spot. He'll face James Howser if the Rays rotation stays on track, so we'll miss Price.

I'll let you know how it goes when we get back next week.

redsmetz
05-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Here's some pictures from the game on Sunday. Pitching for the Braves was Tommy Hanson and he looked good, striking out nine in eight innings pitched. But he gave up three home runs. Former Reds sightings were Ray Olmedo starting at 2B for the Bulls and Alvin Colina, DH'ing for the Braves.

It's not a bad little park, although I'd guess capacity is around 10G. Very nice day for a game with a tiny spot of rain that did not delay things. Best between innings bit was a toddler bringing out water to the umpire and then sweeping off home plate for him. Best food: Fried Pickles, oh were they good.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa189/jametz/Atlanta%20Trip/055.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa189/jametz/Atlanta%20Trip/064.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa189/jametz/Atlanta%20Trip/066.jpg

camisadelgolf
05-13-2009, 01:03 PM
That's really cool to see. Thanks for posting that. I hope you had a good time.

Brutus
05-13-2009, 02:31 PM
I just moved back late in the fall from Marietta. I was in Gwinnett County fairly often hanging out with some pals. I love the area. I miss Atlanta, and if the job situation works out, I'd love to go back in the future.

That said, I hope the park is good considering how bad the county sold out to the Braves to get it. The lease is borderline ridiculous they're paying for it. It was a really bad business deal for the entire county and citizens of Gwinnett. Aside from the $64 mil in land acquisitions and stadium construction, paid for by the taxpayers though they were promised taxes would not be raised to do so (property taxes went up by half a percent IIRC), the 30-year lease by the Braves is entirely one-sided.

* The county is responsible for all repairs
* The Braves are responsible for operations costs, though they get to keep all revenue from all Braves events including concessions, ticket sales, advertising, broadcasting rights, sponsorship and suites & club seating.
* The Braves get exclusive rights to the stadium except for 10 non-Braves events per year. What's more? The Braves get to keep concession revenue from those events as well.
* While Gwinnett is responsible for finding and keeping naming rights, the Braves get to share $350,000 in the annual revenue from naming rights.
* Parking fees are split 50/50
* The Braves pay $250,000 a year in rent for the first five years. The consumer index will dictate anything beyond those first five years. If there's a silver lining, it's the Braves do have to pay $1 per ticket to Gwinnett ($450,000 minimum).

The biggest sham, in my opinion, is that the Braves can opt out of the lease after 15 years but the county has no out clause, reportedly. They're stuck.

I'm ecstatic for this deal to come together. However, I feel Gwinnett got a raw deal to make it happen.