PDA

View Full Version : No more questions about Cordero's paycheck?

LouisvilleCARDS
04-22-2009, 10:57 PM
There were a ton last year, saying he didn't deserve his pay. I don't remember a closer starting out this well since Jeff Shaw. I guess you could make a case for Danny "Dug his own" Graves, but Cordero is the real deal. I'm sure he'll blow some saves this year, but he's started great. If Cordero-Weathers-Rhodes combo weren't rock solid, we might have only 4 or 5 wins at this point.

Mutaman
04-22-2009, 10:59 PM
That was Coco's 100th National League save and he's only the 11th pitcher in history to get 100 in both leagues. Money well spent.

AccordinglyReds
04-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Cordero doing very well so far. Still glad they signed him. :)

ChatterRed
04-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Well, it's always "what have you done for me lately". If he keeps pitching lights out, it's obviously money well spent. He's the highest paid player on the team, and so far is earning his paycheck.

Eric_the_Red
04-23-2009, 06:26 AM
I don't care how he does, it is still too much money for a closer for the Reds payroll. Closers are perhaps the most overrated "position" in baseball. I'd rather take that money and spread it out over the bullpen to improve all the spots.

That said, go Coco!

Redus
04-23-2009, 06:34 AM
now youve jinxed him

Old NDN
04-23-2009, 06:41 AM
I'm just glad the Reds, so far, are competitve enough to give him the opportunity to save games. There were stretches last year where he didn't pitch for several days, and some of those appearances were "just to get some work in". Overpaid? You betcha. But that's the only way Cincy is gonna attract free agents, for now.

Ghosts of 1990
04-27-2009, 10:28 PM
I knew this tough night was coming for Coco. Still he's been a pleasant surprise after a tough ST

Griffey012
04-27-2009, 10:36 PM
I knew this tough night was coming for Coco. Still he's been a pleasant surprise after a tough ST

It's just all too common to see big time closer getting rocked in tie games or non save situations, take this as a lesson be learned, put coco in to close, otherwise use other people.

mroby85
04-27-2009, 10:37 PM
I wasn't a fan of the idea of bringing him into this game at the time, but I can also see the logic behind it. I've just never felt like he's pitched well in those types of situations, could be wrong, just felt like a gut type thing.
JayBruce32, we must be a jinx, my attendance record is 0-2, they're 1 game over .500 and we haven't seen a win yet, lol.

Ghosts of 1990
04-27-2009, 10:38 PM
It's just all too common to see big time closer getting rocked in tie games or non save situations, take this as a lesson be learned, put coco in to close, otherwise use other people.

I totally agree with you man

swaisuc
04-28-2009, 08:34 AM

Coco hadn't pitched in a while and it was literally impossible for a save situation to come up once you're tied in the ninth (at home). I agree that he tends to struggle in that situation, but he needs to pitch sometime.

ChatterRed
04-28-2009, 09:28 AM
If you were watching on TV, Cowboy pretty much said it before CoCo started pitching.........that closers in non-save situations tend to not do well........he even included himself in that statement. Sure enough he was right. They also pointed out that Kerry Wood came in for a non-save situation last night and got rocked for 3 runs.

OpeningDay
04-28-2009, 09:54 AM
If you were watching on TV, Cowboy pretty much said it before CoCo started pitching.........that closers in non-save situations tend to not do well........he even included himself in that statement. Sure enough he was right. They also pointed out that Kerry Wood came in for a non-save situation last night and got rocked for 3 runs.

The thing with closers, especially CoCo, they rely on the adrenaline rush of the 9th inning. Having the game locked up and in ones own hands mentally plays a big role in the confidence and performance of the closer. In an excerpt from an ESPN All Star Game article from 2007 the year before CoCo was traded to the Reds, the article discussed closers in a relief role outside of their closing duties:

Many times closers will tell you that when they enter a game and it's not a save situation, it's hard for them to mimic the adrenaline and feel for the way they normally pitch.

Then after giving up a homer in the 6th of the all-star game Coco then went on to say,

Their hitters are good for a reason. But my mentality always stays the same. It's just part of the game -- I made a mistake.
-CoCo

Latiger12
04-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Cordero doing very well so far. Still glad they signed him. :)

Yeah me too. So far so good with this guyhttp://secsportschat.com/sport-chats/img/3760/w08q1028hnzf/biggrin.gif