PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a SS to acquire

NorrisHopper30
04-23-2009, 10:41 PM
And I think I might've found one. I need some help from some more knowledgeable than I, though.

Michael Young is a name I've stumbled upon because I think the Rangers should fall out of contention and they may want to get rid of him (and keep the younger guys Kinsler/Andrus). Although he plays 3B currently, I believe he played SS in the past - can someone tell me how good he played it defensively?

The Rangers don't seem to have a great 1B in their system - could we package Alonso + a few others for Michael Young? Would it be worth it (his defense)? He's having a solid season, but is 32 years old and is signed through 2013 (80mm. making 13mm this year). It's intriguing, and I think it might be worth it if we can afford it.

Thoughts? Anyone else have an idea for SS we could acquire?

Brandon4MVP
04-23-2009, 11:03 PM
No need to acquire a ss. I got one name for you Adam Rosales. Tearing it up at Louisville. He and Janish would be a decent combo.

TC81190
04-23-2009, 11:05 PM
No need to acquire a ss. I got one name for you Adam Rosales. Tearing it up at Louisville. He and Janish would be a decent combo.
I'd be wary of having too many platoons on the field on once. You want your team to have some kind of rhythm and continuity (plus Rosales doesn't have the range to be a MLB SS.)

Michael Young has a good bat for a SS, but he can't really field there anymore, despite winning a Gold Glove a year or two ago. He has a pretty bad contract too. I think I would probably pass on this one.

Captain Hook
04-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Not a bad idea except that the Reds or any other team in baseball for that matter wouldn't be willing to take on his contract.Its thought of as one of the worse in all of baseball.

davereds24
04-24-2009, 12:30 AM
no chance with that contract

NeilHamburger
04-24-2009, 01:10 AM
I wouldn't take him if all the reds had to do was take his contract, it's that bad. No chance in hell I give up Alsonso and take the contract. No chance in hell.

nineworldseries
04-24-2009, 09:06 AM
I never would have said this one year ago, but right now Khalil Greene is not looking too bad for the Cardinals. We could have had him in the offseason relatively cheap.

What is it about St. Louis and their ability to turn piece of crap players' careers right around? Kyle Lohse, I'm looking at you!

DTCromer
04-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Why would we want to get rid of Yonder?

schmidty622
04-24-2009, 09:43 AM
I'd rather nab Hardy. I think he's an FA after this year though.

bounty37h
04-24-2009, 10:17 AM
I never would have said this one year ago, but right now Khalil Greene is not looking too bad for the Cardinals. We could have had him in the offseason relatively cheap.

What is it about St. Louis and their ability to turn piece of crap players' careers right around? Kyle Lohse, I'm looking at you!

I am not as convinced now that its about tem turning their careers around elsewhere, I think there was just such an imbedded culture of losing in Cincy they really didnt care or try very hard overall, and were just bidding their time till they could move on....

flash
04-24-2009, 10:51 AM
With Cozart tearing things up at Carolina and knowing that he is a glove whiz I see no need to acquire a declining young at an exorbitant price.

Bumstead
04-24-2009, 11:06 AM
I like Hardy, but the asking price will be high and he's unlikely to be traded within the division. Reid Brignac (TB) shouldn't cost a lot to acquire at the trade deadline. He has a good glove and if Valaika can't stick at SS, Brignac would have more offensive 'potential' than any of our current SS prospects.

Bum

podgejeff_
04-24-2009, 11:35 AM
By the time Alonso's done building up his trade value he'll be one of those prospects that could bring a really good ML level player your way. No way do I trade him for Young and his horrible, horrible contract.

RedLakerFan24
04-24-2009, 11:45 AM
I Like Micheal Young, i know his Father and his Brother, his Brother was my teacher in High School two years ago, defensively he is not the same, he has lost range but so has Alex Gonzalez, Right now the Rangers want Pitching and i would be ready to give up bailey for him, but the Rangers would have to pay some of his salary because his salary is just crazy

RedLakerFan24
04-24-2009, 12:31 PM
I'd rather nab Hardy. I think he's an FA after this year though.

i think we could have Hardy for Bailey, Frazier, he could be our shortstop of the future, the brewers would trade with us because he is in the Last year of his contract they want to play Escobar and Frazier could be the third baseman for them, also they lack Pitching, Bailey and Gallardo which are in the same age could be their Pitching for the Future

Bumstead
04-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Where are you getting that Hardy is a FA at the end of the year? I believe he has one more arbitration year; I just looked it up on Rotoworld and he becomes a free agent after the 2010 season. Milwaukee is not going to deal a young, productive player to another team in their division.

Bum

laxtonto
04-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Hardy is one of the best defensive SS in baseball and has till after 2010 before he becomes a FA. Why in the world would Mil trade him in division? Secondly, why would anyone trade with the Reds with Bailey being the primary piece?

Hardy is going to cost something along the lines of Alonso, Lotkar and Fraiser to get the Brewers trade inter-division if not more.

Young is not owed 16M, he has already been paid roughly 20M of his 80M deal up from with another portion deferred. It works out to be around 12 or so. Once again, Bailey probably would not be enough. Texas could easily deal him elsewhere as a 3B is they are going to eat some salary. Bailey would be at best he 8 or 9th option in the Texas SP depth chart.

As far as SS, you really are not going to find a prestigious name available on the market. At best you will be able to find aging stars like Tejeda or blocked guys like Arias in Texas. Hardy would be such a hot commodity the Reds would easily become out priced. Boston could offer Bowden or Buchholz, which automatically surpasses any Reds offer without including a MLB arm.

Sorry, the SS issue is a non starter at this point.

NorrisHopper30
04-24-2009, 03:49 PM
It just seems like we need an offensive upgrade, but the only position we could really upgrade is shorstop. I want to keep Dickerson/Bruce/Taveras and I have faith Phillips will turn it around. I guess we could look for a third baseman with some pop or better defense.