PDA

View Full Version : Reds/Braves series

Eric_the_Red
04-24-2009, 11:02 AM
With a win tonight, the Reds would move to 4 games over .500. The last time a Reds team was 4 over? Way back on August 26, 2006 when their record stood at 67-63.

The pitching match-ups for the series:
Friday
Javier Vazquez, RHP, 1-1, 3.00
vs.
Edinson Volquez, RHP, 2-1, 6.46

Saturday
Derek Lowe, RHP, 1-1, 3.27
vs.
Branson Arroyo, RHP, 3-0, 4.19

Sunday
Kenshin Kawakami, RHP, 1-2, 4.76
vs.
Micah Owings, RHP, 0-2, 5.59

From the Game notes:
- Over the last 5 games, Reds pitchers are 4-1 with a 1.84 ERA. The starters ERA in that time is 1.70.
- Reds are 8-3 over their last 11 games
- Alex Gonzalez is 1 hit away from 1,000 for his career
- Votto, Phillips and EE have played every inning of every game so far
- The Reds have trailed in 11 of their 15 games, but have come back to win 5 of those 11 games
- Reds are 1069-961 all-time vs. the Braves. Last season the teams split the series 3-3. At GABP the Reds are 14-9 vs. the Braves, and have won the last 6 here vs. the Braves.
- Francisco Cordero is 1 save behind Gene Garber for 31st all-time (218)
-Volquez is 0-1 in 2g vs. the Braves, 2.25 ERA. 12IP, 16K, 5BB.
-Arroyo is 4-2 in 10g (9gs) vs. the Braves, 5.59 ERA, 48.1IP, 34K, 21BB.

schmidty622
04-24-2009, 11:04 AM
I like these threads. I think we should make them a mainstay before every series.

3 pretty good pitching matchups. I'm hoping we can go 2-1. I'll be more confident if Volquez goes out tonight and pitches like we know he can.

Also, I really want to see Bruce continue his hot streak. Could really help even out the lineup if pitchers can't just ignore everyone outside of Votto.

Eric_the_Red
04-24-2009, 11:09 AM
I like these threads. I think we should make them a mainstay before every series.

3 pretty good pitching matchups. I'm hoping we can go 2-1. I'll be more confident if Volquez goes out tonight and pitches like we know he can.

Also, I really want to see Bruce continue his hot streak. Could really help even out the lineup if pitchers can't just ignore everyone outside of Votto.

I'll do my best to keep up with them, if others enjoy these threads as well.

I'm hoping the Reds play well and win at least 2 games, especially with large crowds.

Cant Touch This
04-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Yep - good info ETR, thanks. The series opener is always huge. In baseball, I tend to measure success in terms of series wins. Like they say in doubleheaders, you can't win 'em both if you don't win the first one. Not that you can't win a series if you don't win the first one, but you can't sweep it! :)

podgejeff_
04-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Yep - good info ETR, thanks. The series opener is always huge. In baseball, I tend to measure success in terms of series wins. Like they say in doubleheaders, you can't win 'em both if you don't win the first one. Not that you can't win a series if you don't win the first one, but you can't sweep it! :)

I do the same thing. Win the majority of your series and you're going to the postseason. So far the Reds have won three series, lost one, and split one. No bad sweeps. Gotta love it.

Pitching matchups seem pretty even, although the ERAs are skewed in the Braves favor. Thank God they're playing at home again. That should help the offense a little.

RedLakerFan24
04-24-2009, 11:47 AM
i see us winning Two games and thats the Volquez start and Owings, i dont see us beating Lowe

PhillipsHead
04-24-2009, 11:55 AM
They're on a downswing, and we're on an upswing.

It's time to take it to em...

ChatterRed
04-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Offense:

Team LEAGUE G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG VG
1. Atlanta Braves 15 497 62 129 34 4 14 60 213 53 81 3 2 .335 .429 .260
2. Cincinnati Reds 15 476 58 109 22 3 11 56 170 58 117 8 2 .317 .357 .229

Pitching:
--------Team----W L-ERA-G-CG-SHO-SV-SVO-IP-H-R-ER-HR-HBP-BB--SO
1. Cincinnati Reds 9 6 4.02 15 1----2---6---6 132.0 125 64 59 14 6 64 95
2. Atlanta Braves 7 8 4.26 15 0----2---3---6 131.0 130 68 62 7 7 66 126

Based on e.r.a., the Reds are now up to 10th best in mlb and Atlanta sits out 14th. When was the last time the Reds had a top 10 pitching staff?

bounty37h
04-24-2009, 01:02 PM

I'm hoping the Reds play well and win at least 2 games, especially with large crowds.

I like it too Eric, keep it coming, good info and highlights to watch out for...

Markrunz
04-24-2009, 01:04 PM
yea thanks!

Shmoe
04-24-2009, 02:29 PM

Love it, keep it up!

WildcatFan
04-24-2009, 02:42 PM
- Over the last 5 games, Reds pitchers are 4-1 with a 1.84 ERA. The starters ERA in that time is 1.70.
This is key to the Reds being contenders this year. You have to be happy with what we've seen so far, especially from Harang and Cueto.
This isn't a long stretch and may not seem significant, but the difference in an 8-3 run and a 3-8 run could be the difference in being over/under .500 or — please God — in the wildcard race.
Good for him; he may get there before May (I kid because I love).
Yes Dusty — yes.
- The Reds have trailed in 11 of their 15 games, but have come back to win 5 of those 11 games
The stat that worries me a little. That could be a streak of luck or a knock on our offense, but I like to think it's all grit and determination...right...anybody...?
- Reds are 1069-961 all-time vs. the Braves. Last season the teams split the series 3-3. At GABP the Reds are 14-9 vs. the Braves, and have won the last 6 here vs. the Braves.
I see the Braves as a team like Milwaukee and Arizona. If they can consistently beat those teams, they have arrived, in my mind. The more the list of "teams you should beat" expands, the better off you are.
And he has 100 saves in both the NL and AL. How lock-down has this guy been *knocks on wood*?
We would kill for a 2.25 ERA outing from Volquez tonight
He's got his work cut out for him against Lowe.

I also enjoy these threads, Eric. I nominate you as the series previewer. Do I hear a second?

schmidty622
04-24-2009, 02:52 PM
This is key to the Reds being contenders this year. You have to be happy with what we've seen so far, especially from Harang and Cueto.
This isn't a long stretch and may not seem significant, but the difference in an 8-3 run and a 3-8 run could be the difference in being over/under .500 or — please God — in the wildcard race.
Good for him; he may get there before May (I kid because I love).
Yes Dusty — yes.
The stat that worries me a little. That could be a streak of luck or a knock on our offense, but I like to think it's all grit and determination...right...anybody...?
I see the Braves as a team like Milwaukee and Arizona. If they can consistently beat those teams, they have arrived, in my mind. The more the list of "teams you should beat" expands, the better off you are.
And he has 100 saves in both the NL and AL. How lock-down has this guy been *knocks on wood*?
We would kill for a 2.25 ERA outing from Volquez tonight
He's got his work cut out for him against Lowe.

I also enjoy these threads, Eric. I nominate you as the series previewer. Do I hear a second?

I never really like to make one person responsible for starting threads. Might be too much pressure to ask for someone, espcially if he has other stuff going on. How bout the first person that wants to does it. It's not like there is a ton of traffic on the Sundeck so people won't really be jumping all over themselves to start the thread.

xavr1
04-24-2009, 03:08 PM
i see us winning Two games and thats the Volquez start and Owings, i dont see us beating Lowe

Ive been thinking this as well. But we will need to get on Vazquez early tonight. He can be dominating when he gets on a roll. Will strike out a lot of Reds if we arent careful. Also will need a good outing from EV

davereds24
04-24-2009, 03:27 PM
3 tough matchups on paper, at least no lefties. i think tonight is a must win if we want to take the series.

schmidty622
04-24-2009, 03:48 PM
3 tough matchups on paper, at least no lefties. i think tonight is a must win if we want to take the series.

Agreed. Vazquez is a lot like Perez from the right side. Great stuff, but inconsistent. Hopefully we catch him on the right night.

Eric_the_Red
04-24-2009, 04:40 PM
- The Reds have trailed in 11 of their 15 games, but have come back to win 5 of those 11 games[/B]

While statistically difficult/impossible to prove, I think that this year's team seems to not give up on games. In the past the impression that I got was a "oh well, we'll get them tomorrow" mindset. Now it seems like the team believes that they can rally.

Of course, a lot of that could be attributed to better pitching preventing games from getting out of hand. A 5-3 deficit is easier to recover from than 9-4.

And, I will try to keep the series previews going. I'm on here enough, and it really doesn't take very long.

ChatterRed
04-24-2009, 05:53 PM
The Reds have trailed in 11 of their 15 games, but have come back to win 5 of those 11 games

It doesn't worry me a bit. Last year's team seemed to score early and then take a nap offensively the rest of the game. It shows me that they're taking pitches, studying the opposing pitcher, wearing them down, and finding a way as the game goes on.

Eric_the_Red
04-25-2009, 09:08 AM
If people are going to focus on negative issues in Reds wins (like their lack of offense) then I think it is only fair to see the positives in losses. The team walked double digit batters and still only gave up 4 runs and lost by just a run.

I had a feeling this would be the toughest game, as Vazquez is the Braves toughest pitcher this series, IMO. Let's hope the Reds can take the next 2 and win the series!

forfreelin04
04-25-2009, 09:53 AM
If people are going to focus on negative issues in Reds wins (like their lack of offense) then I think it is only fair to see the positives in losses. The team walked double digit batters and still only gave up 4 runs and lost by just a run.

I had a feeling this would be the toughest game, as Vazquez is the Braves toughest pitcher this series, IMO. Let's hope the Reds can take the next 2 and win the series!

I like your optimism Eric. It is amazing only four runs we're scored by the Braves when allowed so many walks by Reds pitching.

Keep in mind, McCann wasn't in the lineup yesterday and might be today.

On the bright side, we're 3-0 with Bronson pitching, Janish starting, and Hanigan starting.