PDA

View Full Version : Joey Votto Interview (worst interviewer ever)

Homer Bailey
04-24-2009, 02:29 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Answer-Man-Joey-Votto-talks-bowling-mustaches-?urn=mlb,158587&post_comment=1&success=1

Tell me that isn't the worst interview you have ever heard. Instead of conducting a good interview, the guy just posts little comments to belittle Joey after asking some of the worst questions I have ever heard. I have no idea how this guy has a job.

Heather is really not gonna like this.

Toronto native Joey Votto had no idea what he was getting himself into. Standing inside the cramped, even claustrophobia-causing visitors clubhouse at Wrigley Field, the young Reds slugger became the most recent Answer Man subject before kicking off what would turn out to be a very good series for him in Chicago (5-11, 1 HR, 3 doubles, 2 runs 3 RBIs and 1 SB).

The results were sometimes funny and occasionally enlightening, but also awkward. Some "Answer Men" work better than others — count Reds teammate Jay Bruce as someone who enjoyed our discussion — and it usually depends a lot on how the subject rolls with the oddball punches.

So uncomfortable at times was Votto that his feelings were published in a Cincy-area newspaper mere minutes after our interview was over. How much did the '08 NL Rookie of the Year runner-up regret granting an interview to someone from Yahoo! Sports? Read for yourself. I'm including my thoughts in parentheses.

David Brown: So you're in your living room watching the '93 World Series and Joe Carter hits the game-winning home run against Mitch Williams. Did you decide at that moment you wanted to be a baseball player?

Joey Votto: That wasn't the deciding factor for me, it was just a great event for baseball people in Toronto. Obviously I'm on my couch and I jumped up and down like everybody else did, and my parents broke some laws by leaving the house and getting in their car and going downtown and leaving me as an 11- or 12-year old by myself.

DB: Did you lobby to go with?

JV: No, it was a little late.

(C'mon 10-year-old Joey Votto, loosen up. It was before midnight on a Saturday.)

DB: I read that you actually worked at SkyDome when you were a kid.

JV: No.

DB: That's not true?

DB: Have you seen that, a couple places, that you supposedly worked there as a kid?

JV: Somebody mentioned it. Meh, it's not true.

(Stupid Wikipedia! But man, his childhood was far less cool than it seemed before.)

DB: You were born in 1983 — too late to fully enjoy the Willie Upshaw era. Any regrets?

JV: I don't... I don't know very much about Willie.

DB: You're not much of a Blue Jays historian, then?

JV: No, not particularly.

(I sense I'm in trouble.)

DB: Are you familiar with the Mt. Rushmore monument in South Dakota with the presidents' faces sculpted onto the side? If we were to commission something like that for the middle of Saskatchewan, which Canadians would you like to see immortalized?

JV: Oh, it'd be all hockey players. Wayne Gretzky, I'm pretty sure Bobby Orr's Canadian. And Gordie Howe and Patrick Roy.

(OK! Nice list. We're back on track.)

DB: What about Michael J. Fox, Avril Lavigne?

(I wanted to add Fred McGriff, but forgot.)

JV: Yeah, there's tons of examples but if we're going to do a Mt. Rushmore, I think we have to stick to prime ministers [laughs]. People who ran our country.

DB: What about the guy who's running it now, Stephen Harper. You went to the same high school. Is he monument-worthy?

JV: I really couldn't tell you. The biggest Canadian prime minister, if I'm not mistaken, is Pierre Trudeau.

DB: What about that Brian Mulroney?

JV: No, there weren't that many who were into him. ... Or Jean Chrétien would be another we could do.

DB: That's a pretty good list. I've seen where you're not much of a hockey guy compared to the average Canadian. How come?

JV: I was never that interested in it. I played some basketball; I'm more interested in that.

(Don't forget to ask him if he can dunk. ... You're going to totally forget.)

DB: Ever feel like an outsider in your own country?

JV: More now than ever because everybody mentions it, and all the guys on Team Canada [from the World Baseball Classic] are big hockey fans. I follow basketball. That was always one of my passions and enjoyed watching it. I appreciate how athletically gifted those guys are. Just never got into hockey.

DB: Does the fact that it's Toronto Maple Leafs and not "Leaves" bother you?

JV: I don't think it bothers the crazy amount of fans that go to those games and follow that team. No, it doesn't bother me at all.

DB: When I ask you who the Stanley Cup Finals will feature, you'll say...

JV: I don't know. I'd hope, I'd assume, probably, San Jose from the West. And I hope to see Ovechkin in the Finals with the Capitals.

DB: How are you approaching the challenge of beating out Geovany Soto for Sophomore of the Year?

JV: I don't really... I don't really care about that. Geovany's a very good player in his own right and it's his responsibility to be the best catcher he can for the Cubs team. Now, after, my first year I'm strictly concerned with winning and playing my part in getting this team over .500 and eventually into the playoffs.

(Lost him again. Note to self: Should have emphasized that "Sophomore of the Year" is not a real award.)

DB: Despite being a left-handed batter, you have sound numbers against left-handed pitching, knock on wood. Do you consider yourself, like, a right-hander's lefty when a lefty pitches?

JV: It's difficult, it requires a different type of focus. I just do my best to put the ball in play and put it in play where no one's going to make a play on it and hopefully drive some runners in.

DB: Is there one lefty that comes and makes you go, "Aw, come on, not this guy"?

JV: Yeah, he's in the American League now. CC [Sabathia]. I'm really glad he signed that contract with the Yankees.

DB: And now he's out of your hair.

JV: Yeah, it was one of the better days in the off-season for me.

(Back on track! This must be what wrestling a marlin caught while deep-sea fishing is like. I've got you now, Joey Votto!)

DB: Did Canada's WBC team just put too much pressure on itself, with the home field advantage, etc?

JV: Mmm, no. I don't feel that. I just think that we didn't play very good baseball and the other teams — the Italian team played very good, fundamental baseball that day.

DB: Did you think about jumping sides that day? When it looked like it wasn't going Canada's way, heading over to Italy's dugout — which you could do, given your Italian heritage.

JV: No! I think that you're required a mustache to play for Team Italy. I think a lot of those guys grew it just to feel more Italian.

(OK, great answer! Totally in the spirit. Mustaches! We're like kindred souls. Actually, I sense some disconnect between Joey Votts and me. So, it's at this moment I want to interject what Votto told Hal McCoy in the Dayton Daily News.)

From the Real McCoy:

JOEY VOTTO granted somebody from Yahoo.com an interview in the clubhouse Tuesday, being polite as usual.

"But the guy started asking me a bunch of strange questions," said Votto. He asked about bowling and mustaches and why didn't Votto play for the Italian team in the World Baseball Classic instead of Canada?
Votto, polite as always, let the guy finish but shook his head later and said, "I was nice to him, polite to him. But I should have shut him down. That was a good learning experience for me."
(Just let it be known that it was JOEY VOTTO who mentioned "mustaches" first, not I. He was polite, though I would call it civil more than anything. And if you're wondering "Where's the bowling?!?" just wait a moment.)
DB: You don't see facial hair in your future?

DB: Like a Todd Helton — you've been compared to Todd Helton in other ways — but like a Todd Helton circle beard so people could really get down and compare you guys.

JV: Yeah, right. I'm just going to stick with what got me here, shaving every fourth day.

(He liked his own mustache angle so much, he keeps adding one-liners. Funny!)

DB: Are pasta sauces in Canada mostly mayonnaise-based?

JV: Not... I have no idea. I wouldn't think so.

(Connection... dropped. ... I know! I could reference Votto's love of bowling, which he expressed in another interview.)

DB: Do you think Reds management will cave to your demands and install a bowling alley in the clubhouse?

JV: I never demanded that.

DB: You didn't, but let's say... you did.

JV: But I didn't, though.

(No kidding. Like a second-year player can demand anything, much less a bowling alley. Don't be so literal, Joseph Daniel Votto.)

DB: Yes but, looking at it jokingly, if you were to demand a bowling alley...

JV: Then they wouldn't, for sure [build one].

(Jokingly. You know what that means sometimes, but not others. And this from a guy who admits to owning his own bowling shoes with red flames on them!)

DB: You don't think so?

JV: Absolutely not.

DB: You could make that part of your negotiations.

JV: No chance.

DB: What about a curling alley?

(If you could see Joey's face at this point, he clearly wants me to get out of his life. Can't do it yet. Sorry.)

JV: Heh, definitely not. Too much maintenance.

DB: What's your average?

JV: I don't know.

DB: Could you go on the hustling circuit like Roy Munson?

JV: What's that?

DB: Woody Harrelson in "Kingpin." Guy was a bowling hustler.

JV: Oh, what's my bowling average!

DB: You thought I was asking batting average.

JV: Yeah, I did. Um... maybe 165.

DB: Have you ever gotten close to 300?

JV: 266. It was two years ago.

DB: Which cities have the best alleys? Bowling and otherwise.

JV: I don't know. I've never bowled on the road. Just too busy getting ready for the game.

(Time to rise from the gutter, so to speak, and bring this baby home for all the nice people!)

DB: The plural of Votto. Does it come with an "e" like tomatoes? Or are you more of a potato family?

JV: I would guess potato. Vottos doesn't have an "e."

DB: It's a trick question — potatoes and tomatoes both add the "e."

(No reaction.)

DB: Speaking of Canadian stereotypes, there's a Tim Hortons donut shop about 30 miles outside of Cincinnati. Is that close enough?

JV: I've never been, I had no idea there was one.

DB: It's in Monroe. ... Does that do anything for you whatsoever?

JV: No, not at all [laughs].

(A laugh. Maybe we'll end on an up note?)

DB: When the United States finally goes metric, how much will that benefit your stats?

JV: We'll either be two-thirds or a half of what we were originally. So, not good.

(Great answer! We're going to end on a high, maybe with an embrace, I just know it.)

DB: Typing "Votto" and "Canada" into a certain search engine, it comes up with lottery results first. Do you have a gambling problem?

JV: No. I think there's some sort of "Lotto 6/49" up in Canada.

DB: What does 6/49 mean?

JV: I couldn't tell you.

DB: My favorite Joey Votto picture from last year doesn't even have you in it. It's of what appears to be your extended family gathered outside the Rogers Centre when the Reds went up there to play the Blue Jays.

(I'm taking out a copy of the photo — which includes a lady holding a sign that says "Get Lucky, Play Votto 649.")

DB: Have you seen this?

JV: No. I wasn't there for that.

DB: No, you weren't, but could you confirm that this is your family? Can you identify these people?

JV: No. No, I'd rather not get into it.

DB: All right, Joey, I appreciate your time (about 9 1/2 minutes).

JV: OK, thanks.

(Most. Awkward. Ending. Ever. Did he think I grabbed this photo off his mantel? Votto walked away and summoned Reds PR over for a conversation and then had another talk with Reds beat writer Hal McCoy and perhaps others. That's OK. Now it's all on the record, though I did forget to ask him if he can dunk.)

HeatherC1212
04-24-2009, 02:48 PM
He is DEFINITELY one of the worst interviewers out there although I thought he did a good job with that Jay Bruce one from spring training. I don't know why he seemed to think Joey would be the same type of guy as Jay because the two guys are almost total opposites. Apparently the interviewer dude didn't get that memo, LOL ;) Anyway, I don't think he actually looked at any valid facts about Joey as a person before asking him all those odd questions. I don't blame Joey for being totally confused and slightly annoyed about the whole thing. :bang:

And for the record, I'd be happy to take Joey to the Timmy's up in Monroe because I'm not even Canadian and I love going there! :D

dougdirt
04-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Joey Votto doesn't seem very comfortable being interviewed. When you toss in some weird questions, its gotta be a very strange situation. Who cares though, he is a nice guy and hopefully he can continue to rip the cover off of the baseball.

OnBaseMachine
04-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Wow, the Reds have some great bowlers on the team. IIRC, Brandon Phillips has bowled a few perfect games, and Votto has a 266. My career high is a 226, which I accomplished the night before Opening Day at the bowling alley near Florence (Super Bowl? I think). That's a great bowling alley, I can't wait to bowl there again. Anyone else been there?

Screwball
04-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Wow, the Reds have some great bowlers on the team. IIRC, Brandon Phillips has bowled a few perfect games, and Votto has a 266. My career high is a 226, which I accomplished the night before Opening Day at the bowling alley near Florence (Super Bowl? I think). That's a great bowling alley, I can't wait to bowl there again. Anyone else been there?

Is that the one that has lanes upstairs and downstairs?

OnBaseMachine
04-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Is that the one that has lanes upstairs and downstairs?

Yep.

Always Red
04-24-2009, 03:18 PM
I can't wait to read the David Brown/Yahoo interview of Arthur Rhodes.

Tornon
04-24-2009, 04:19 PM
I dunno, I enjoyed the interview. But maybe that's just because the interviewer's thought process is similar to mine. You just have to not take it serious like most interviews, it's just a joke.

Homer Bailey
04-24-2009, 04:23 PM
I just couldn't stand how he inserted little cutting to comments to put down Joey, when really he was the one asking stupid questions.

Tornon
04-24-2009, 04:43 PM
I just couldn't stand how he inserted little cutting to comments to put down Joey, when really he was the one asking stupid questions.

He's not really putting Votto down.. you just have to not take him seriously. The whole article is meant to be a joke, something funny or entertaining for the reader.

CrackerJack
04-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Joey Votto doesn't seem very comfortable being interviewed. When you toss in some weird questions, its gotta be a very strange situation. Who cares though, he is a nice guy and hopefully he can continue to rip the cover off of the baseball.

Yeah that's weird, I've heard him interviewed on the radio, and he was one of the most articulate and engaging athletes around for a guy his age. It's one of the reasons I thought he'd be a star - smart, hungry, high standards for himself, you just get the sense he's going to be successful at whatever he does.

Homer Bailey
04-24-2009, 05:03 PM
He's not really putting Votto down.. you just have to not take him seriously. The whole article is meant to be a joke, something funny or entertaining for the reader.

It's just not really fair if you are going to conduct an interview, to not just say exactly what was said in the interview, meaning there shouldn't be side comments. Reading it should be the exact same as listening to it. It's unfair to be able to write in your little excuses and comments, regardless of how serious we are supposed to take the writer. Incredibly poor journalism.

mth123
04-24-2009, 05:12 PM

It was supposed to be funny? I just thought this was some rinky dink web blog with poor interviewing skills. Now I know its a rinky dink web blog with absolutely no idea what is funny.

I felt sorry for the interviewer's lack of skill if this was supposed to be serious. Now I just think he's a tool.

REDREAD
04-24-2009, 05:24 PM
The interviewer sounded like some little smart aleck, who was taking advantage of Votto's politeness.. Not really funny at all. If the guy sensed Votto becoming uncomfortable, he should've stopped asking moronic questions.

BCubb2003
04-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Here's the one with Jay Bruce.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74493&highlight=jay+bruce+interview

mth123
04-24-2009, 05:27 PM
The interviewer sounded like some little smart aleck, who was taking advantage of Votto's politeness.. Not really funny at all. If the guy sensed Votto becoming uncomfortable, he should've stopped asking moronic questions.

yep.

Homer Bailey
04-24-2009, 05:31 PM
The Bruce Interview went the way the interviewer wanted it to go. The Votto interview didn't, so he had to make stupid little jokes to make it go his way. Very annoying.

SMcGavin
04-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Joey doesn't seem much like the joking around type... remember Dunn teasing him while he was getting interviewed by ESPN last year after his three HR game? "I'd like to apologize for my teammate's rudeness"

I don't think this interviewer was being a jerk, he just chose the wrong guy to try and do a goofy interview with. The only thing I'd take away from those two interviews is that if you have chance to get a beer with either Votto or Bruce, pick Jay.

Raisor
04-24-2009, 09:17 PM
http://thm-a01.yimg.com/image/232d13cadc793b5c

http://www.nunnie.com/joname1.jpg

Hey, I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader....
I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber, or own a dogsled....
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
although I'm certain they're really really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a president.
I speak English and French, not American.
And I pronounce it 'about', not 'a boot'.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, not policing,
diversity, not assimilation,
and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal.
A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch,
and it is pronounced 'zed' not 'zee', 'zed' !!!!

Canada is the second largest landmass!
The first nation of hockey!
and the best part of North America

My name is Joe!!
And I am Canadian!!!

http://thm-a01.yimg.com/image/232d13cadc793b5c

Super_Barry11
04-24-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm sure Votto has a sense of humor and a great personality. I think he just wasn't expecting the interview to unfold the way it did. I had a similar thing happen to me in college. I was being interviewed as the senior captain of the softball team, and after the interview, the writer added in snide remarks that poked fun at my answers. I was pretty embarrassed when I read it in the school newspaper, because I didn't realize what type of interview it was supposed to be. It's STILL on the internet. :(

Tony Cloninger
04-24-2009, 09:22 PM
It just shows that Joey is more tightly wound and takes things seriously....nothing wrong with that at all. That's probably why some people could not take Griffey and Dunn's laid back atitude and felt it reflected poorly on the ballclub. Like they did not care.

They just cared in their own ....laid back way.

HeatherC1212
04-24-2009, 09:33 PM
I wonder how Joey would have reacted to this interview had it been done after a game rather than before a game. I've seen him a bunch of times before games and he's very serious and workmanlike prior to taking the field but I bet he'd be a lot more relaxed and have more fun with interviews after the game is over. Joey is one of the most polite and respectful guys on this team but this interviewer doesn't really get that across at all. The dude really should have asked me for help before he interviewed Joey, LOL ;) :laugh:

Larry Schuler
04-24-2009, 10:06 PM
It sounds like this reporter's technique is to blindside his interviewees with his "shtick" and if they are cool and play along, the interview looks like a goofy light-hearted chat and if they don't play along (see Votto) he makes the interviewee look like someone who can't take a joke. In both cases he is never the one who has egg on his face.

Chip R
04-24-2009, 10:24 PM
I wonder how Joey would have reacted to this interview had it been done after a game rather than before a game. I've seen him a bunch of times before games and he's very serious and workmanlike prior to taking the field but I bet he'd be a lot more relaxed and have more fun with interviews after the game is over. Joey is one of the most polite and respectful guys on this team but this interviewer doesn't really get that across at all. The dude really should have asked me for help before he interviewed Joey, LOL ;) :laugh:

Yeah, you'd have gone all Chris Farley Show on him. "Remember that game you hit 3 HRs? That was so cool." ;)

HeatherC1212
04-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Yeah, you'd have gone all Chris Farley Show on him. "Remember that game you hit 3 HRs? That was so cool." ;)

Hehe, the first time he did it last year was on my mom's birthday so I'll never forget it! Believe it or not, I can actually stay cool around famous people....well, when I can get words out, LOL :laugh: