PDA

View Full Version : Alright....I'll be the one to start a Volquez thread

ChatterRed
04-25-2009, 03:49 AM
How disappointing can the guy be?

He is afraid to let anyone get a hit. He can walk 7 but have a no-hitter going..........what a weirdo.

Frickin' learn to let people hit the ball, and trust your fielders. This is ridiculous.

The dude has good stuff and he's afraid to use it. This is a serious problem.

ChatterRed
04-25-2009, 03:52 AM
One of the things I hate about this team is that many of the losses could have been wins. The stupid errors .......in their losses, it's almost like they've found ways to lose. It's ridiculous.

improbus
04-25-2009, 08:02 AM
One of the things I hate about this team is that many of the losses could have been wins. The stupid errors .......in their losses, it's almost like they've found ways to lose. It's ridiculous.

I agree, but every team does that to some degree. Before the Volquez meltdown, you could have said that the Reds had definitely taken advantage of the Braves miscues. in the 1st, Taveras got on base. They were scared that Taveras was going to steal second, so Ross tries to pick him off and bobbles the ball and then Taveras takes second. Votto then knocks him in. Those are the types of things that the Reds ARE doing this year to other team that they haven't been in the past.

It goes both ways.

Jerry Narron
04-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Anyone else think that Escobar should have gotten his rear end kicked last night?

Redus
04-25-2009, 09:06 AM
I think if Volquez ever got serious, focused, and bulldog-like hed be great. In my opinion hes too aloof, hot doggy, and laughing/smiling too much even when hes walking guys. He needs to toughen up and focus...

xavr1
04-25-2009, 09:08 AM
I think if Volquez ever got serious, focused, and bulldog-like hed be great. In my opinion hes too aloof, hot doggy, and laughing/smiling too much even when hes walking guys. He needs to toughen up and focus...

This is EXACTLY what I was going to say. He acts like a little kid pitching in a knothole game. He needs to mature on the mound.

reds1869
04-25-2009, 09:19 AM
He needs to mature on the mound.

And he will. He's 25. I'm only 31 myself, but I know I've matured beyond all imagination over the past 6 years. I look back and don't even recognize the person I was. If the 25 year old me were living in a foreign country and suddenly a millionaire All-Star who was in the international spotlight, I think I would probably be sporadic on the mound. He needs to get his head straight; if you listen to him speak to the media he is really insecure in himself. The laughter and smiles on the mound are just a defense mechanism against the same insecurity that made him walk the opposing pitcher with the bases loaded. His stuff is fine, and once he racks up more time his head will be, too.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
04-25-2009, 10:10 AM
I would say if Mario's not in town already, he has gotten a phone call.

FlyerFanatic
04-25-2009, 11:27 AM
they need to set soto up here permanently...he can work with cueto/volquez a lot better than pohl

big boy
04-25-2009, 12:53 PM
He should work as quickly as he can and throw as many strikes as he can. It seems like Volquez over-complicates things by trying to pitch outside the strike zone.

George Foster
04-25-2009, 08:36 PM
they need to set soto up here permanently...he can work with cueto/volquez a lot better than pohl

From what I've heard, the Reds would be all for that, but Soto does not want to leave home for an entire season.

George Foster
04-25-2009, 08:39 PM

He's not very mature, and I don't think he's the sharpest knife in the kitchen either.

He's got the best stuff on the team, and he wants to pic around the zone. He should just have 2 pitches. The 96mph fastball and the change-up. He should throw the heat about 80% of the time.

FlyerFanatic
04-25-2009, 08:43 PM
From what I've heard, the Reds would be all for that, but Soto does not want to leave home for an entire season.

ya think i heard that too...though offer him enough money than maybe

Ghosts of 1990
04-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Chris Dickerson is so bad I don't care if he ever steps on the field again...... nothing about Volquez. He's not an ace. That's okay. I can live with that.

But Dickerson doesn't look like a Major Leaguer.

ChatterRed
04-26-2009, 02:26 AM
He's not very mature, and I don't think he's the sharpest knife in the kitchen either.

He's got the best stuff on the team, and he wants to pic around the zone. He should just have 2 pitches. The 96mph fastball and the change-up. He should throw the heat about 80% of the time.

Actually, most experts believe Cueto has the best stuff on the staff.

Eric_the_Red
04-30-2009, 06:48 AM
Time to update this thread? Volquez was dealing last night. If he and Cueto can consistently pitch to their abilities, look out.

lidspinner
04-30-2009, 07:15 AM
It is wild to sit and think of the abilities of EV adn JC...I also get to thinking about the upside of Homer and if he could just pitch to his abilities. What kind of staff would we have then? I am starting to like the future of these reds. Even if Bailey doesnt pan out I still think we can have a dominant staff next year, this year we are going to get noticed but next year could be NASTY if these guys keep improving. I still think Aaron is capable of 15-17 wins if the offense will hit, Bronson is capable of 10-15 wins........Man who would have dreamt our staff could be this could 3 years ago?

Moosie52
04-30-2009, 07:18 AM
I count 7 outstanding pitched games in April for this staff. Well, 3 of them were against Houston, but 2 were against the Cubs.