PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft = Waste of Time

improbus
04-25-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm sorry to say this to all of you, but I think that the NFL (and NBA and NHL and MLB for that matter)draft is the biggest waste of human man hours this side of the E! channel. ESPN has created a monster with thousands of hours of lead-up's, mock drafts, discussion shows, etc... In a way, they have manufactured interest in something that isn't interesting. The lead-up means nothing.

My approach to the NFL draft is the same that I have with the NCAA selection show and the lead up to it. I will pick up a USA Today on the following Monday and learn just as much about what happened as everyone who spent hundreds of precious hours reading speculative content.

I understand the attachment that people have with their college heroes and their NFL teams. I get that. My wife is an OSU nut (no pun intended), so she will be interested to see where the people who have been major parts of her life end up. However, she learns that by reading the paper the next day, not by watching Todd McShay say that James Laurinitis is falling down the draft board two months before the draft ever happens.

I know that many of you will be watching this today, and that is fine, it is your decision. But, I would like to know what draws you to it.

GIDP
04-25-2009, 01:44 PM
For the waste of time you sure put a lot of thought into it haha.

improbus
04-25-2009, 01:48 PM
For the waste of time you sure put a lot of thought into it haha.
That's true, so I guess I am losing yet again. But, I wanted to see some highlights of the late basketball games (playoff games that really matter...) and instead saw non-stop talk about the draft. At this point, I feel that the two most well known people in the country are Obama and Mark Sanchez.

westofyou
04-25-2009, 01:52 PM
There's a draft this week?

KronoRed
04-25-2009, 04:43 PM
There's a draft this week?

I'm going to Canada.

dougdirt
04-25-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm going to Canada.

CFL Draft?

*BaseClogger*
04-25-2009, 07:08 PM
I don't watch any of the ESPN hype but I do enjoy following draft day, mostly because of the college players and not the NFL aspect...

improbus
04-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Well...I can see that my post got six replies (one of which was mine), and the draft has sixty and counting. I guess I lose...

redsfandan
04-25-2009, 09:20 PM
I've always been interested in the front office moves of NFL teams, just not AS much as I used to be. (I'll be glad to not have to see that commercial about the draft anymore)

WVRed
04-26-2009, 12:10 AM
To be honest, my interest level has kind of waned regarding the NFL Draft.

I got off work at 5:30, turned it on ESPN Radio to see who the Bengals picked, then watched off and on until the second round to see who the Bengals would take.

Tomorrow I work from noon until 5:30, so I will miss that part too.

macro
04-26-2009, 12:21 AM
I used to be interested in who the Bengals would take back in the years when I held hope that they would be a legitimate NFL franchise. Now that that is an impossibility, I have little interest in it. It doesn't matter who the cast is, the Bengals are going to be the Bengals.

Chip R
04-26-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm sorry to say this to all of you, but I think that the NFL (and NBA and NHL and MLB for that matter)draft is the biggest waste of human man hours this side of the E! channel. ESPN has created a monster with thousands of hours of lead-up's, mock drafts, discussion shows, etc... In a way, they have manufactured interest in something that isn't interesting. The lead-up means nothing.

My approach to the NFL draft is the same that I have with the NCAA selection show and the lead up to it. I will pick up a USA Today on the following Monday and learn just as much about what happened as everyone who spent hundreds of precious hours reading speculative content.

I understand the attachment that people have with their college heroes and their NFL teams. I get that. My wife is an OSU nut (no pun intended), so she will be interested to see where the people who have been major parts of her life end up. However, she learns that by reading the paper the next day, not by watching Todd McShay say that James Laurinitis is falling down the draft board two months before the draft ever happens.

I know that many of you will be watching this today, and that is fine, it is your decision. But, I would like to know what draws you to it.

I'm kind of with you. I'm really not that interested in the draft. But it seems like we are in the minority. It does bring up a good question, though. Did ESPN manufacture all this interest in the draft or did the become so interesting that ESPN started making it a priority for them? Probably like the chicken and the egg question. Now I believe when ESPN first started covering the draft, they were just starting out and they would cover pretty near anything just to get programming on the air. Obviously there had to be some interest from the viewers in the first place since they kept doing it and interest in it has grown even beyond what ESPN could hype it up.

It's really a perfect storm of two of sports fans favorite pastimes coming together. The NFL is the most popular professional sport and college football is the most popular college sport. Put those two together after 3-4 months without football and that's going to whet people's appetites even more.

improbus
04-26-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm kind of with you. I'm really not that interested in the draft. But it seems like we are in the minority. It does bring up a good question, though. Did ESPN manufacture all this interest in the draft or did the become so interesting that ESPN started making it a priority for them? Probably like the chicken and the egg question. Now I believe when ESPN first started covering the draft, they were just starting out and they would cover pretty near anything just to get programming on the air. Obviously there had to be some interest from the viewers in the first place since they kept doing it and interest in it has grown even beyond what ESPN could hype it up.

It's really a perfect storm of two of sports fans favorite pastimes coming together. The NFL is the most popular professional sport and college football is the most popular college sport. Put those two together after 3-4 months without football and that's going to whet people's appetites even more.
I understand the popularity of the NFL (which I think is vastly overrated, but this is another topic for another day). But, we are in the heart of the NBA and NHL playoffs. ESPN is covering the NBA playoffs minutes before the 1st Round of the Draft and it is like it doesn't exist. Half of the players taken yesterday won't matter, but the best point guard since Isiah Thomas was playing.

We as a society are obsessed with what is next as opposed to thinking about what is happening now. Maybe that is one of the exciting things about the draft.

macro
04-26-2009, 06:24 PM
All of this kinda reminds me of college basketball recruiting. There seems to be more fan interest in it than ever before.

Redhook
04-26-2009, 10:44 PM
But, we are in the heart of the NBA and NHL playoffs. ESPN is covering the NBA playoffs minutes before the 1st Round of the Draft and it is like it doesn't exist.

The first round of the playoffs is a waste of time in both of those leagues. Maybe, just maybe, if half of the teams in the league didn't make the playoffs more people would watch?? 2 months of playoffs is way too long. Shorten it with less teams and it would mean a lot more.

westofyou
04-26-2009, 10:48 PM
The first round of the playoffs is a waste of time in both of those leagues.

Not in Hockey, the top seed routinely gets ambushed, hey but you might miss that stuff if you are watching a bunch of talking heads discussing guys who will be playing a game in 5 months.

dabvu2498
04-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Not in Hockey, the top seed routinely gets ambushed, hey but you might miss that stuff if you are watching a bunch of talking heads discussing guys who will be playing a game in 5 months. Nobody watching the Bulls-Celtics series would say it is a waste of time, either. Compelling stuff.

15fan
04-27-2009, 12:01 AM
I would like to know what draws you to it.

Mel Kiper Jr's hair.

It's like the sun. It has its own gravitational pull. Unless Obi-Wan Kenobi can infiltrate and deactivate the tractor beam, it will one day take over the entire universe.

remdog
04-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Mel Kiper Jr's hair.

It's like the sun. It has its own gravitational pull. Unless Obi-Wan Kenobi can infiltrate and deactivate the tractor beam, it will one day take over the entire universe.

OK. I gotta' give ya' a :lol: for that one.

Rem

Sea Ray
04-27-2009, 11:24 AM
The NFL Draft is kind of a guilty pleasure for me. I know draftees mean next to nothing until they play in the NFL but it's a chance for football fans to get their NFL fix during a long off season. It's fun to get together and talk football for a couple days. And for long suffering Bengal fans, this might be as good as it gets, unfortunately.

I'll grant you and others that it may be a lot of hype but it's entertainment and a fun football fix. It does force you to get to know a lot of players and this may pay off as you see them play on Sundays.

But I agree with you there are ridiculous aspects of this draft. I was watching it with a Seattle season ticket holder and he had his mind made up that Aaron Curry was the best player in this entire draft and you can imagine his excitement when his Seahawks selected him. I later asked him if he ever saw a Wake Forest game last year and whether he'd ever seen Curry play a down to which he admitted "no".

15fan
04-27-2009, 05:15 PM
But I agree with you there are ridiculous aspects of this draft. I was watching it with a Seattle season ticket holder and he had his mind made up that Aaron Curry was the best player in this entire draft and you can imagine his excitement when his Seahawks selected him. I later asked him if he ever saw a Wake Forest game last year and whether he'd ever seen Curry play a down to which he admitted "no".

I've seen Aaron Curry play many many many times. He's a beast. He's also a stand up citizen who has remained quite humble despite his accolades.

Matt700wlw
04-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Ratings. NFL gets them. NBA/NHL doesn't

improbus
04-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Ratings. NFL gets them. NBA/NHL doesn't
Put the NFL's marquee games on a Tuesday night starting at 10:00 and see how their rating start to look. I'm not saying that the NBA is better than the NFL, but it is awfully easy to follow a league that has 16 games played on Sundays afternoons when it is freezing cold in half of the country.

Revering4Blue
04-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Improbus,

I agree with you on all points. I have to admit that the internet age has caused my interest in viewing the actual draft to wane. It was more fun when the average person didn't have access to every NFL team's beat writer's column and 8 million, so you have a pretty good idea which way it will play out, especially when a team is picking at or near the top.

It also doesn't help matters when the top pick is already signed, sealed and delivered before the Commissioner steps up to the podium. Where's the suspense?

Slyder
04-28-2009, 11:08 PM
The first round of the playoffs is a waste of time in both of those leagues. Maybe, just maybe, if half of the teams in the league didn't make the playoffs more people would watch?? 2 months of playoffs is way too long. Shorten it with less teams and it would mean a lot more.

And shorten the time between games. Shouldnt need like 2 weeks for one round. Want to keep the travel days fine, best of 5 rather than 7.

Revering4Blue
04-29-2009, 07:27 AM
It was more fun when the average person didn't have access to every NFL team's beat writer's column and 8 million mock drafts.

Fixed it.

improbus
04-29-2009, 05:29 PM
And shorten the time between games. Shouldnt need like 2 weeks for one round.
I'm not sure these are good ideas. The players have finished a grueling 82 game schedule. I want to see quality basketball over quantity, so let's not rush something good.

Chip R
04-29-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm not sure these are good ideas. The players have finished a grueling 82 game schedule. I want to see quality basketball over quantity, so let's not rush something good.

I think it's fine now. As recent as a couple of years ago, it was ridiculous. A team would play on Sunday then wouldn't play again till Thursday. They really don't need more than a day or two between games unless they are flying from one coast to the other.

OesterPoster
04-30-2009, 03:23 PM
The NFL Draft on ESPN was the number 3 rated cable network show last week. I don't think the NBA or NHL could come close to that.

Also worth noting, since we all love to hate ESPN...the #4 rated cable network show last week was the Sunday night game between the Sawx & Yanks. Be prepared to see a lot more of them...as if we didn't already know that.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-30-2009, 05:59 PM
The NFL Draft is kind of a guilty pleasure for me. I know draftees mean next to nothing until they play in the NFL but it's a chance for football fans to get their NFL fix during a long off season. It's fun to get together and talk football for a couple days. And for long suffering Bengal fans, this might be as good as it gets, unfortunately.

I'll grant you and others that it may be a lot of hype but it's entertainment and a fun football fix. It does force you to get to know a lot of players and this may pay off as you see them play on Sundays.

Well said. I agree.

improbus
04-30-2009, 06:26 PM
I list the NFL Draft with All Star Games (and the snubs), Spring Training, and the BCS and NCAA basketball selection shows. Each of them get a ton of hype, work through the 24 hour sports news cycle when they happen, and then disappear almost instantly.

I'm not saying the NFL draft isn't important. You build your team through the draft. But, it isn't much of a spectator sport, especially when you have two 7 game hockey series and the greatest 1st round series in the history of the NBA happening.

WVRed
04-30-2009, 06:50 PM
A few thoughts:

1. On a recent ESPN SportsNation poll, every state except for one voted that the NFL Draft was the biggest non-sporting event of the year. The only state that voted differently was Kentucky, who voted the NCAA basketball selection show by a wide margin. Of the other states, Kansas was the only state that came close by 48-41%.

2. There is talk about possibly doing the first round on a Friday night in prime time, having rounds 2 and 3 done on Saturday, and rounds 4-7 on Sunday. I kinda like this idea, since day 2 took all of about nine hours.

macro
04-30-2009, 11:38 PM
A few thoughts:

1. On a recent ESPN SportsNation poll, every state except for one voted that the NFL Draft was the biggest non-sporting event of the year. The only state that voted differently was Kentucky, who voted the NCAA basketball selection show by a wide margin. Of the other states, Kansas was the only state that came close by 48-41%.

2. There is talk about possibly doing the first round on a Friday night in prime time, having rounds 2 and 3 done on Saturday, and rounds 4-7 on Sunday. I kinda like this idea, since day 2 took all of about nine hours.

Okay, I don't understand the part about Kentucky people voting for something to do with college basketball. What is that all about? :D

As for the draft, the Friday night plan sounds good. I never did care for the Saturday noon starts because, often as not, it was a pretty spring day outside and I didn't want to spend it inside waiting 15 minutes between picks.

bucksfan2
05-01-2009, 09:18 AM
A few thoughts:

I liked the way they used to do it with the first 3 rounds on Sat then the final 4 on Sun. I think it would work even better now with 10 minute first round picks. IMO it would be a mistake to push the draft into 3 days.

Sea Ray
05-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Put the NFL's marquee games on a Tuesday night starting at 10:00 and see how their rating start to look. I'm not saying that the NBA is better than the NFL, but it is awfully easy to follow a league that has 16 games played on Sundays afternoons when it is freezing cold in half of the country.

But that doesn't explain the huge ratings the NFL got for its draft last weekend. It was actually a pretty nice weekend in much of the country yet it got out of sight ratings for a cable only network. Its ratings were nearly twice as high as the Red Sox-Yankees on Sunday Night on ESPN. It's really incredible.

bucksfan2
05-01-2009, 11:25 AM
But that doesn't explain the huge ratings the NFL got for its draft last weekend. It was actually a pretty nice weekend in much of the country yet it got out of sight ratings for a cable only network. Its ratings were nearly twice as high as the Red Sox-Yankees on Sunday Night on ESPN. It's really incredible.

And Selig keeps thinking everything is just peachy with MLB. The NFL is a marketing machine that gets it. MLB keeps standing by the national pastime moniker that is long long gone.

westofyou
05-01-2009, 11:42 AM
MLB keeps standing by the national pastime moniker that is long long gone.

Sure they do, it's their brand, Wonder Bread still claims it builds bodies, other brands still cling to their original catch phrases, it's probably to be expected. But baseball is a "past time" it occurs throughout the long lazy summer, it's the taste of warm evenings, hot afternoons and crickets at sunset, day after day, after day. That's a pretty apt description of a "past time"

NFL football is an event, a weekly occurrence at a pretty regular set time, same time, same days, bombastic and full of folks dressed up like they are going to a Road Warrior convention in hopes of getting on the television like a monster truck rally it's an event, not a past time.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Sure they do, it's their brand, Wonder Bread still claims it builds bodies, other brands still cling to their original catch phrases, it's probably to be expected. But baseball is a "past time" it occurs throughout the long lazy summer, it's the taste of warm evenings, hot afternoons and crickets at sunset, day after day, after day. That's a pretty apt description of a "past time"

NFL football is an event, a weekly occurrence at a pretty regular set time, same time, same days, bombastic and full of folks dressed up like they are going to a Road Warrior convention in hopes of getting on the television like a monster truck rally it's an event, not a past time.

Excellent summary.

improbus
05-01-2009, 05:28 PM

The key word is recent. Right now, the Swine Flu is the biggest story going around but in one month, it will be remembered w/ SARS, West Nile, Avian Bird Flu, etc... Just because something is "popular" doesn't mean that it is good (just read the billboard charts).

One other thing. When people run the "Top Sports Play/Event of the Year" montage in December, do you see a draft moment?

Chip R
05-03-2009, 10:16 PM

I would think the ratings would be lower if they had 4,860 drafts every season.

Sea Ray
05-03-2009, 10:57 PM
I would think the ratings would be lower if they had 4,860 drafts every season.

No doubt, but so what? Who's proposing 4,860 drafts a year?

The fact that their one draft is such a ratings hit speaks volumes to the popularity of the product.

Chip R
05-04-2009, 12:21 AM
No doubt, but so what? Who's proposing 4,860 drafts a year?

The fact that their one draft is such a ratings hit speaks volumes to the popularity of the product.

No one. But that is how many regular season MLB games are played in a year. If you had up to 15 drafts a day, I doubt they would get the ratings they do with just one draft.

I don't deny the popularity of the NFL draft. But just because the NFL draft gets better ratings than a regular season MLB game doesn't necessarily mean that everything is wrong with MLB.

Sea Ray
05-04-2009, 10:32 AM
No one. But that is how many regular season MLB games are played in a year. If you had up to 15 drafts a day, I doubt they would get the ratings they do with just one draft.

I don't deny the popularity of the NFL draft. But just because the NFL draft gets better ratings than a regular season MLB game doesn't necessarily mean that everything is wrong with MLB.

I haven't dinged MLB at all. Another poster did that.

It speaks to the popularity of the NFL. I also don't agree with your analogy. I think my analogy is more appropriate,

The MLB draft will be televised by ESPN in June. How do you think its ratings will compare to:

-the NFL Draft?

-Any NFL Sunday or Monday Night game?

Latiger12
05-04-2009, 11:05 AM
I would like to know who made Mel Kiper the draft expert?http://secsportschat.com/sport-chats/img/3760/w08q1028hnzf/biggrin.gif

BRM
05-04-2009, 11:44 AM
"Well, you know, we've got a guy up there who in the hell is Mel Kiper, anyway? I mean, here's a guy that criticizes everybody, whoever they take. ... And in my knowledge of him, he's never, ever put on a jock strap. He's never been a player. He's never been a coach. He's never been a scout. He's never been an administrator. And, all of a sudden, he's an expert."

"Mel Kiper has no more credentials to do what he's doing than my neighbor," Tobin concluded. "And my neighbor's a postman and he doesn't even have season tickets to the NFL."

-- Bill Tobin

Chip R
05-04-2009, 12:01 PM
I would like to know who made Mel Kiper the draft expert?http://secsportschat.com/sport-chats/img/3760/w08q1028hnzf/biggrin.gif

Mel Kiper, Sr.? ;)