PDA

View Full Version : 2009 NFL Draft

Pages : 1 [2]

WVRed
04-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Bengals select Fui Vakapuna, RB from BYU.

Ok, who gave Mike Brown his brain back? There isn't even a scouting report on NFL.com.

HeatherC1212
04-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Hmmm, interesting choice with that other guy and their next pick is Fui Vakapuna, RB, BYU.

I think the pod people took back over for the Bengals draft, LOL :laugh:

WVRed
04-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Hmmm, interesting choice with that other guy and their next pick is Fui Vakapuna, RB, BYU.

I think the pod people took back over for the Bengals draft, LOL :laugh:

Here's some info:

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2009/3/24/809636/bengals-enamored-in-byu-fb

The Cincinnati Bengals are hosting BYU running back (really a full back) Fui Vakapuna a week before the draft, writes Carlos Holmes. Vakapuna, who is ironically a cousin to Naufahu Tahi, finished his career with 1,181 yards rushing, 14 touchdowns on 249 attempts in 42 games played. He's roughly in the 250-pound range, under six-foot tall and with a 40-time of 4.68 at BYU's Pro Day, where he "posted a 34-inch vertical and knocked out 29 reps on the bench press." In other words, a brick with strength.

The Bengals are known to need a fullback since Jeremi Johnson's release from injury -- and the total frustration that he was forced to workout with trainers every training camp because of weight issues he caked on during the off-season. They tried to convert Daniel Coats into a fullback during rushing downs, with Reggie Kelly splitting time as an H-back, flanking the quarterback in shotgun. All sums equaling a whole, it just didn't work out and largely contributed to the team's struggles blocking on rushing downs while struggling to pick up blitzing linebackers.

We've projected that the Bengals could be drafting a fullback in the draft, but limited that scenario based on the team's offer for Tahi. However, with 11 picks in the draft, it seems to us that drafting a fullback is almost a certainty.

Vakapuna's BYU Profile Page.

guttle11
04-26-2009, 06:52 PM
The Bengals are just taking warm bodies at this point. Down to the end of the line they're just picking guys they "like". They really have no greater chance of making the team than the plethora of undrafted free agents they'll bring to camp. The practice squad or a special teams player is about all you're going to get from here.

Tony Cloninger
04-26-2009, 06:56 PM
The first guy sounds like Stanley Wilson.....who could play....real good when he played.

The other guy....if he can be a good FB.....a real FB for this team...that is fine.

I wonder about Jennings? What is up with him...maybe an injury?

WVRed
04-26-2009, 06:56 PM
The Bengals are just taking warm bodies at this point. Down to the end of the line they're just picking guys they "like". They really have no greater chance of making the team than the plethora of undrafted free agents they'll bring to camp. The practice squad or a special teams player is about all you're going to get from here.

Seems like they like Vakapuna as a FB. Could be interesting. Still can't explain the Bernard Scott over Rashad Jennings pick though.

DaytonFlyer
04-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Bernard Scott is a typical Bengals pick that has made them the laughing stock of the NFL.

I mean, I love them, but the problems they have had off-the-field don't expect to improve considering the people they are bringing in... like Tank Johnson, and Bernard Scott.

Scott is a player that has first round talent, but was arrested several times in his late teens and early twenties.

GIDP
04-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Vakapuna is a FB yes.

Scott is amazingly good and I really dont care if they are taking a chance on the guy where they did.

CTA513
04-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Cowboys drafted CB Mike Mickens from UC with pick #227

paintmered
04-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Trevor Canfield is still on the board. He'd be a great value at #249 at a position of need for the Bengals.

Root Down
04-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Vakapuna is a FB yes.

Scott is amazingly good and I really dont care if they are taking a chance on the guy where they did.

Exactly. This is the place in the draft where taking a chance is an OK move. If they can bring in some talent here it's all bonus.

GIDP
04-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Even if he doesnt turn into an every down back odds are hes goin to be a good return man. Not many guys in the draft have the vision he has.

WMR
04-26-2009, 07:44 PM
He'll be a 3rd down scat back next season.

paintmered
04-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Bengals on the clock now...

Revering4Blue
04-26-2009, 08:10 PM
The Patriots just drafted Kent State QB Julian Edelman to run the Wildcat. The more teams running it, the better. Standard NFL offenses are way too predictable, but that is a topic for another time.

As I type this, the Bengals will get another shot at Jennings if the so desire.

Reds Fanatic
04-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Bengals 7th Round pick #249:

Clinton McDonald DE Memphis

Scouting report:

Clinton McDonald (DE)
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 289
College: Memphis
Conference: Conference USA
Hometown: Jacksonville, AR
High School: Jacksonville

McDonald built on his successful 2007 season (55 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, four sacks) by starting his senior season strong, getting attention from scouts and media outlets across the country. The first-team All-Conference USA pick (39 tackles, seven sacks) hit a snag, when he was injured against Louisville midway through the season. McDonald's build, athletic testing, and scouts' reviews of early season film will likely cause his stock to rise.

High School
Played for Coach Johnny Watson at Jacksonville High...Lettered three years in football...Named to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette 5-A top prospect list...Helped squad to a 7-4 record and an appearance in the state playoffs...Was a two-time all-conference honoree...Chosen as 5-A Outstanding Lineman...Also selected to the 5-A All-State team...Holds the school record in the fire clean at 325 pounds...Talented athlete who also lettered in basketball and threw the shot put in track.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

Analysis
Positives: Wide-chested with strong builds in the upper and lower body. ... Good, not great, first step off the ball. ... Has very good straight-line speed to chase down backs down the line and from behind. ... When lined up in a three-technique, he shows a real burst off the ball and a nice spin move off either shoulder. ... Works hard as a pass rusher if he sees even a slight opening. ... Has a strong punch but needs to use it more often. ... Has the strength to hold off linemen with one shoulder and stay upright when slanting or in the three-technique spot.

Negatives: Short and a bit smaller than scouts prefer for nose tackle, but adequate for a three-technique. ... Can be engulfed and pushed back by larger guards. ... Stays upright against double teams, but usually only gets off to make tackles five or six yards downfield. ... Gets a little push into the pocket, but usually gets stopped by a good anchor when bull-rushing. ... Must improve his hand technique to get off blocks inside. ... Does not hustle or chase as much as you'd think given his athleticism. ... Will whiff in the backfield but has good change-of-direction skills to recover. ... Six of his seven sacks in 2008 came against Arkansas State and UAB, two squads without a lot of cachet with scouts. ... Medical report on his severely sprained left ankle is important in determining his final grade.

Reds Fanatic
04-26-2009, 08:22 PM
The Bengals final pick:

Freddie Brown WR Utah

Root Down
04-26-2009, 08:23 PM
2009 Cincinnati Bengals Draft Picks (ESPN)

Rd 1 - #6(6) Andre Smith (OT) Alabama
Rd 2 - #6(38) Rey Maualuga (ILB) USC
Rd 3 - #6(70) Michael Johnson (DE) Ga Tech
Rd 3 - #34(98) Chase Coffman (TE) Missouri
Rd 4 - #6(106) Jonathan Luigs (C) Arkansas
Rd 5 - #6(142) Kevin Huber (P) Cincy
Rd 6 - #6(179) Morgan Trent (CB) Michigan
Rd 6 - #36(209) Bernard Scott (RB) Ab Christian
Rd 7 - #6(215) Taufui Vakapuna (RB) BYU
Rd 7 - #40(249) Clinton McDonald (DT) Memphis
Rd 7 - #43(252) Freddie Brown (WR) Utah

WMR
04-26-2009, 08:24 PM
A- ... A couple of the 2nd day picks were a little iffy.

Still a great draft overall.

Light years better than most any other Bengals draft I have witnessed.

Root Down
04-26-2009, 08:25 PM
I'll give it an A+. The picks that count in the earlier rounds were excellent. We will see a lot of those guys on the field in game one.

Reds Fanatic
04-26-2009, 08:27 PM
In all my years as a Bengals fan this is the best draft I can remember. I liked every pick through the first 5 rounds and it is not very often you can say that about a Bengals draft. The last few rounds it is hard to say but it is that way for those late picks for most teams.

KoryMac5
04-26-2009, 08:39 PM
All you need to know about Bernard Scott and more:

http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/dgtv_1/bernard_scott_video/

Looks like the kid is worth a shot.

KoryMac5
04-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Have to give this draft an A, at least 6 to 7 of these picks can come in and contribute big minutes next season. Great value for the Bengals. Too bad teams like New England get all the pub for trading down all day.

Tony Cloninger
04-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Like i wrote....Stanley Wilson. Hopefully he will be the Wilson who ran the ball very well in 1983...1986.

*BaseClogger*
04-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Morgan Trent is poop. :lol:

Maybe he is good at special teams or something, but a little upside would have been nice...

Newport Red
04-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Have to give this draft an A, at least 6 to 7 of these picks can come in and contribute big minutes next season. Great value for the Bengals. Too bad teams like New England get all the pub for trading down all day.

There's a reason for that. They've picked so well in the past, they don't need the picks. Wait until they get a year older.

Redhook
04-26-2009, 10:40 PM
A+ grade from me for the Bengals. The first 6 picks were outstanding. I'm thrilled.

Eric_the_Red
04-26-2009, 10:54 PM
A pic of the Andre Smith as a Bengal, courtesy of Madden football:

http://a.espncdn.com/media/videogames/photo/2009/0425/madden10_draft6_800x450.jpg

Root Down
04-26-2009, 11:26 PM

http://a.espncdn.com/media/videogames/photo/2009/0425/madden10_draft6_800x450.jpg

Funny that they rate his footwork so low.. isn't that one of his best characteristics?

LoganBuck
04-26-2009, 11:44 PM
Funny that they rate his footwork so low.. isn't that one of his best characteristics?

Yes, footwork is one of his best traits.

Joseph
04-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Isn't it his run blocking footwork thats so good?

WVRed
04-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Yes, footwork is one of his best traits.

Could be because of his pass blocking.

If you really think about it, Smith is more of a run blocker, and more than likely we probably didn't do any favors if the job was to protect Carson Palmer.

camisadelgolf
04-27-2009, 01:04 AM
The Bengals' passing game stunk because Fitzpatrick was at QB. The running game stunk because of the O-line. I think Monroe is a higher value, but A. Smith fills a bigger need.

camisadelgolf
04-27-2009, 02:09 AM
Right now, I'm trying to figure out how the draft will affect the Bengals' roster. Here are some noteworthy guys I could see getting cut within the next few months:
HB Chris Perry
HB Kenny Watson
FB/TE Dan Coats
TE Ben Utecht
LT Levi Jones
DE Frostee Rucker
P Kyle Larson

WMR
04-27-2009, 02:23 AM
I was listening to NFL Radio on Sirius and they were interviewing Marvin and he said that Levi would be on the roster next year. Also said he's not sure yet whether Smith will play LT or RT; that it will depend on how rookie camp, mini-camp, and training camp goes.

I personally hope they hold on to Utecht. He can play some football, he was just hurt last season and when he wasn't hurt, Carson wasn't on the field. Combine Utecht with Coffman and we could see some absolutely deadly double tight end formations next season. The Bengals MUST do more to utilize their tight ends, especially in the slot, now that T.J. is gone.

LoganBuck
04-27-2009, 07:42 AM
I agree camiasadelgolf, with one exception, I think you go to camp with Levi Jones as your LT. Smith and Collins battle it out for the right tackle position. With Smith getting a look at LT. If he can still play he stays, if not he gets traded or cut. John Clayton is speculating that the Bills want him Levi Jones badly. If they want him so badly, they can trade for him.

redsfandan
04-27-2009, 07:48 AM
I personally hope they hold on to Utecht. He can play some football, he was just hurt last season and when he wasn't hurt, Carson wasn't on the field. Combine Utecht with Coffman and we could see some absolutely deadly double tight end formations next season. The Bengals MUST do more to utilize their tight ends, especially in the slot, now that T.J. is gone.
That's what I'm thinking too especially if Ocho Stinko shows up to play and the other receivers produce. Hopefully it plays out that way.

GIDP
04-27-2009, 09:29 AM

I didnt know Andre smith was a white guy

WVRed
04-27-2009, 10:10 AM
I was listening to NFL Radio on Sirius and they were interviewing Marvin and he said that Levi would be on the roster next year. Also said he's not sure yet whether Smith will play LT or RT; that it will depend on how rookie camp, mini-camp, and training camp goes.

IMO, Andre Smith is a bit undersized to play LT. Usually your LT's are in the 6'6-6'7 range. He is more of a RT/G type. Every comparison I have read compared him to Leonard Davis, and I think in the future he will likely end up as a guard.

Tony Cloninger
04-27-2009, 10:32 AM
I wish they had traded Chad....his negativity is not what you ned when you draft so many players and have ...in general...such a young team.

They signed some UFA already.....one of them being the Coz. The kid that Bill Cosby had adopted as his player. He is from Texas.

QB Billy Farris
RB Marlon Lucky
DE Ty Steinkuhler

are among some of those signed.

OesterPoster
04-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Bengals also supposedly signed Greg Orton, WR from Purdue and Huber Heights Wayne.

Reds Fanatic
04-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Bengals also supposedly signed Greg Orton, WR from Purdue and Huber Heights Wayne.

Here is a list of the free agents the Bengals signed so far:

DL Dan Skuta (Grand Valley St.)
FB Chris Pressley (Wisconsin)
S Tom Nelson (Illinois)
RB Marlon Lucky (Nebraska)
WR Quan Crosby (Texas)
TE Greg Orton (Purdue)

JaxRed
04-27-2009, 12:56 PM

Alma mater (Wayne, not Purdue)

Oxilon
04-27-2009, 02:12 PM
IMO, Andre Smith is a bit undersized to play LT. Usually your LT's are in the 6'6-6'7 range. He is more of a RT/G type. Every comparison I have read compared him to Leonard Davis, and I think in the future he will likely end up as a guard.

Andre Smith is 6'4'', but has a reach of 6'8''. He has the physical ability to play LT. And I wouldn't buy into a Leonard Davis comparison. Davis was 2 inches taller, and 30 lbs heavier than Smith.

*BaseClogger*
04-27-2009, 02:23 PM
WR Quan Crosby (Texas)
TE Greg Orton (Purdue)

Those are three very talented players...

RichRed
04-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Here you go, Bengals fans. Don't say I never did anything for you. Here's a site that does a nice job of updating UDFAs, even if it is a Patriots' site.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/04/2009-undrafted-free-agent-signings-list.html

They have the following list for the Bengals so far:

QB Todd Boeckman (OSU)
DT TY Steinkuhler (Nebraska)
DB Rico Murray (Kent State)
S Tom Nelson (Illinois State)
WR Quan Cosby (Texas)
TE Greg Orton (Purdue)
QB Billy Farris (CSU)
C Colin Dow (Montana)

LoganBuck
04-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Here you go, Bengals fans. Don't say I never did anything for you. Here's a site that does a nice job of updating UDFAs, even if it is a Patriots' site.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/04/2009-undrafted-free-agent-signings-list.html

They have the following list for the Bengals so far:

QB Todd Boeckman (OSU)
DT TY Steinkuhler (Nebraska)
DB Rico Murray (Kent State)
S Tom Nelson (Illinois State)
WR Quan Cosby (Texas)
TE Greg Orton (Purdue)
QB Billy Farris (CSU)
C Colin Dow (Montana)

I like bringing in Boeckman for a look. He has a similar tool set to Carson Palmer(meaning strong arm, feet of stone), and is a smart guy. It isn't his fault that his offensive line stunk. I would love to see him spend a year on the practice squad, and then compete for a backup role next year.

Orton is a player whose performance, never matched his athletic ability. I see they list him as a TE. That makes more sense than trying to use him in the role that Purdue did.

Lucky is a player that never fit in with what they were trying to do in Nebraska, too much turmoil, and the offensive line was reworked at least twice. I like giving him a shot. He was once a very highly sought after high school player.

Chris Pressley is a very ugly typical Wisky fullback. Definitely worth a look at a position of need. Very one dimensional.

HeatherC1212
04-27-2009, 04:00 PM
I love that Boeckman is getting a look with the Bengals. I've always been a fan of the guy and I think he could do really well here. I'm actually impressed overall with the Bengals draft even with a few picks that make me shake my head. They were pretty smart for the most part with all of them and I can't wait to hear about the minicamp. :)

Benihana
04-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Does anybody with an Insider account know how Kiper or McShay graded the Bengals draft?

KoryMac5
04-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Kiper gave the Bengals a B, yahoo gave us a B- for character issues

Benihana
04-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Right now, I'm trying to figure out how the draft will affect the Bengals' roster. Here are some noteworthy guys I could see getting cut within the next few months:
HB Chris Perry
HB Kenny Watson
FB/TE Dan Coats
TE Ben Utecht
LT Levi Jones
DE Frostee Rucker
P Kyle Larson

I think they hang onto Utecht for one more year. Other than that, maybe Coats or Watson stays. Everyone else is probably gone.

OesterPoster
04-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Buh-bye Chris Perry.

Five waived by Bengals, Levi next?
Posted by JoeReedy at 4/27/2009 2:25 PM EDT
The Bengals today made the following moves in releasing five players from the roster:
* Terminated the contracts of safety Mike Doss, tight end Nate Lawrie and halfback Chris Perry, releasing them to free agency. Doss, a sixth-year NFL player for 2009, joined the Bengals as a free agent on Dec. 9 of last season and played in the last three games. Lawrie, a fifth-year player for ’09, played in eight games for Cincinnati last season. Perry, a sixth-year player for ’09, was the Bengals’ first-round draft choice in 2004 and battled numerous injuries while playing 35 games with nine starts from ’04 through last season. Perry’s career statistics include 606 rushing yards on 177 carries (3.4) with two TDs and 83 receptions for 474 yards (5.7) with two TDs.
* Waived DE/LB Eric Henderson and halfback Gary Russell. Henderson, a third-year player for ’09, played in two games for Cincinnati last season. Russell, also a third-year pro, played the last two seasons for Pittsburgh and had been acquired by Cincinnati on waivers this past April 17.
* Could Levi Jones be next? The team informed Jones' agent, Kenneth Zuckerman, that Jones would be traded or released either before or during the draft, which didn't happen.

camisadelgolf
04-27-2009, 05:35 PM
I agree that Utecht probably stays for a chance to prove he underperformed due to injuries and because of the salary cap hit. The Bengals have cut Watson before, so all it might take is for one of the younger RBs to shine before Watson is cut imo.

chicoruiz
04-27-2009, 05:55 PM
I think we'll all look back on the Gary Russell era as a high point in franchise history...:)

remdog
04-27-2009, 08:40 PM
From Ray Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

Cincinnati Bengals: A
While the Bengals might ultimately question their decision to ignore receiver and running back early, in terms of value and specific needs filled, no team is a bigger winner in this draft. To compete in the ultra-physical AFC North, the Bengals had to get tougher and certainly did so in this draft, adding the most physical offensive lineman in Andre Smith in the first round, the most physical inside linebacker in Rey Maualuga in the second and starting caliber talents at tight end (Chase Coffman), center (Jon Luigs) and punter (Kevin Huber) on the second day. Considering they waited until the third round to gamble on Michael Johnson -- who could end up being the best pass rusher from this draft -- the Bengals deserve lofty praise for this draft class. Only the character concerns of their top two picks lowers their grade from an A+ to an A.

Were ther character concerns about Maualuga? I wasn't aware of any.

Rem

KoryMac5
04-27-2009, 08:57 PM
From Ray Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

Cincinnati Bengals: A
While the Bengals might ultimately question their decision to ignore receiver and running back early, in terms of value and specific needs filled, no team is a bigger winner in this draft. To compete in the ultra-physical AFC North, the Bengals had to get tougher and certainly did so in this draft, adding the most physical offensive lineman in Andre Smith in the first round, the most physical inside linebacker in Rey Maualuga in the second and starting caliber talents at tight end (Chase Coffman), center (Jon Luigs) and punter (Kevin Huber) on the second day. Considering they waited until the third round to gamble on Michael Johnson -- who could end up being the best pass rusher from this draft -- the Bengals deserve lofty praise for this draft class. Only the character concerns of their top two picks lowers their grade from an A+ to an A.

Were ther character concerns about Maualuga? I wasn't aware of any.

Rem

From CBS sports:

"was arrested on suspicion for misdemeanor battery after allegedly punching a man during a party in 2005"

"Has faced team displinary action on more than one occassion"

"Repeated troubles while at USC involving fights and alcohol."

It goes on to say he has matured a great deal since his father passed. I think everytime the Bengals select anyone with a hint of trouble in there past it is amplified ten fold. I guess we deserve it for Henry and Nicholson but come on enough is enough already.

remdog
04-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the info Kory. I wasn't aware of that even though I live in SoCal. I just saw Rey playing football for USC and liked his game.

All in all, I think the Bengals found a nugget (let's hope it wasn't fool's gold) and I think having Rey and Rivers on the same field will be a big step up for the team next year.

Rem