PDA

View Full Version : Dickerson and the LF platoon

Ghosts of 1990
04-26-2009, 01:59 AM
Chris Dickerson is not a good outfielder. He looks horrid in left field. He's not hitting at all. Basically doing the things people hated Adam Dunn for without the numbers or production.

It's just an indication that Jocketty did not finish the job in the offseason by getting a legitimate LF. I was all for giving Dickerson/McDonald/Hairston a chance, but the platoon situation is not working out so far (defensively or offensively).

Maybe something will materialize as the season moves along, but not having the LF bat and everyday presence on defense stands out pretty largely.

ChatterRed
04-26-2009, 02:28 AM
I'm frustrated with Dickerson too. But I will say that he was very solid defensively last season. I enjoyed watching him turn what use to be doubles into singles for our opponents with his quickness to the ball, unlike Dunn and Griffey. Hopefully this is an aberration.

lidspinner
04-26-2009, 08:57 AM
CD gets to balls in the gaps very quickly where-as Dunn would let them go to the wall. CD needs some time out there before we hang him, I agree he is stinking it up right now but if he gets on fire with the bat then this team opens up all kinds of doors that has not been opened in a long time. I think his stick will come around, he is still green. Could you imagine the fits we could give teams if he could get his OBP up to respectable level?
The other option I like IF, IF, IF, IF CD cant get it done is to see if EE can platoon out there a little. When EE goes out there I would love to see Rosales get some time at 3rd.

Griffey012
04-26-2009, 11:47 AM
CD gets to balls in the gaps very quickly where-as Dunn would let them go to the wall. CD needs some time out there before we hang him, I agree he is stinking it up right now but if he gets on fire with the bat then this team opens up all kinds of doors that has not been opened in a long time. I think his stick will come around, he is still green. Could you imagine the fits we could give teams if he could get his OBP up to respectable level?
The other option I like IF, IF, IF, IF CD cant get it done is to see if EE can platoon out there a little. When EE goes out there I would love to see Rosales get some time at 3rd.

His stick is really just not that good or developed yet. You just dont strike out 1/3rd of your AB's in the minors and become a good major league hitter, or even average for that matter unless you are hitting 30+ home runs ala Dunn, Howard, etc. Those strike out numbers tell me he has way to many holes in his swing with his current state, and should be in AAA. I love his athletic ability and his potential but it might take him till he is 28 or 29 to gather the plate discipline.

gedred69
04-26-2009, 04:40 PM
His stick is really just not that good or developed yet. You just dont strike out 1/3rd of your AB's in the minors and become a good major league hitter, or even average for that matter unless you are hitting 30+ home runs ala Dunn, Howard, etc. Those strike out numbers tell me he has way to many holes in his swing with his current state, and should be in AAA. I love his athletic ability and his potential but it might take him till he is 28 or 29 to gather the plate discipline.

I think this is an accurate evaluation. He is a tremendous athlete, but his short appearance at the MLB level last year was a hot streak I'm thinking. The good news is, I think there are more a couple of guys in the Minors that will be more then ample to take the LF role before long. Here's hoping Dickerson can hold it down until somebody steps up to take the job.

batsfan
04-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Bring up Bankston, he is on fire!