PDA

View Full Version : Bailey named IL pitcher of the week

Jr's Boy
04-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Posted by John Fay
Class AAA Louisville RHP Homer Bailey was named the International League's Pitcher of the Week...in 2 starts last week Bailey went 2-0, 2.92 with 18 strikeouts in 12.1 innings (10h, 6bb), including a 3-2 win at Columbus and yesterday's 10-3 victory at Toledo...in yesterday's start, over 6.1 innings he struck out a career-high 15 batters to tie the Louisville single-game record...between the third and sixth innings he retired 9 consecutive batters by strikeout.

Get that kid up here!

PhillipsHead
04-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Harang
Arroyo
Volquez
Cueto
Owings

We're fine...

The bullpen will ruin him...

Let him pitch in Louisville...

RedLakerFan24
04-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Ok now that he looks good trade him for a LF who has some pop, Delmon Young or Alex Rios or Magglio Ordonez etc....

Shawn_RedsFan
04-27-2009, 02:49 PM
I like homer in the 5 spot, owings in the bullpen. That would be a better fit imo.

Be stupid to trade him ^^

TheBigLebowski
04-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Stop rushing him. He's starting to turn the corner and he is still very young. Our current rotation is fine.

DaytonFlyer
04-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Homer to #5, Owings to bullpen, Cut Lincoln. As sad as that would be, Lincoln probably needs to be the first bullpen casualty this year.

freestyle55
04-27-2009, 04:04 PM
It's two good starts out of like 4 or 5...let him do this for a couple months, then they can talk...

bgwilly31
04-27-2009, 04:08 PM
you know what homer did.

Homer cracked when he initially lost the spot. Went back to being an immature kid and his performance showed it.

But than when he saw owings was getting slapped left and right he turned his guns back on and now you see the results.

However Owings through a great game yesterday. After yesterday he bought himself a few more starts.

goreds2
04-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Nice recovery from Bailey since his being thrown out of that one game. He could have lost it after that

ChatterRed
04-27-2009, 05:21 PM
It's two good starts out of like 4 or 5...let him do this for a couple months, then they can talk...

Exactly. Not to mention that Maloney has better numbers in triple A right now.

The gushing and wanting to rush (gushing and rushing) Bailey just make me want to puke every time.

If he has the stuff, why does he post like an e.r.a. over 7.00 every time he comes up and pretty much in triple A too?

Fon Duc Tow
04-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Stop rushing him. He's starting to turn the corner and he is still very young.

That tune is going on 2 years.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you for now. But at some point if he doesn't make it up here, he transforms from being a prospect into something else.

I would be curious to know what everybody here at RZ's timeline is for Bailey. At what point do you label him a bust or career minor leaguer or whatever?

reds1869
04-27-2009, 06:02 PM
I would be curious to know what everybody here at RZ's timeline is for Bailey. At what point do you label him a bust or career minor leaguer or whatever?

I don't know at what point I'd label him a bust, but the age of 22 is certainly not that point. The ESPN culture has made people super impatient. If he comes up in his mid-20s as a solid contributor I'll be perfectly pleased.

Ghosts of 1990
04-27-2009, 06:06 PM
I think he's better then Arroyo and Owings right now

Captain Hook
04-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Its a hard one to call with Baily.At 22 you still have to say that there is a ton of potential.Trading him could however yield a nice return.We do have some needs on the Big league team.

redsfanmia
04-27-2009, 06:09 PM
I like homer in the 5 spot, owings in the bullpen. That would be a better fit imo.

Be stupid to trade him ^^

If you put Owings in the bullpen you take away his ability to pinch hit and I think he is the best right handed bat off the bench.

reds1869
04-27-2009, 06:12 PM
If you put Owings in the bullpen you take away his ability to pinch hit and I think he is the best right handed bat off the bench.

You don't take away that ability at all. It just requires Dusty to make a judgment call on how to best utilize Owings. :eek:

OpeningDay
04-27-2009, 08:19 PM
I'd like to see Owings running from the bullpen (Todd Coffey style) with a bat in hand but it is highly unlikely if he is demoted.

Luckily we haven't been faced with game situation quite yet, but I think Owings would be a decent long relief option.

-First post

Caveman Techie
04-28-2009, 09:23 AM
you know what homer did.

Homer cracked when he initially lost the spot. Went back to being an immature kid and his performance showed it.

Agree, which just shows why he needs more seasoning in AAA.

But than when he saw owings was getting slapped left and right he turned his guns back on and now you see the results.

In what game did Owings get slapped around? The Reds were in each and every game he has thrown. The bullpen gave up some runs after he left to inflate the scores. The dude has a 3.78 ERA. I'll take that out of #5.

Don't get me wrong I'm very glad Homer is doing well right now and I hope he keeps it up, it should make it interesting down the road. But convincing yourself into believing that Owings is doing badly when he really isn't doesn't help Homer in any way.

ChatterRed
04-28-2009, 09:26 AM
It's a good time to trade Bailey. His stock has risen again. Trade him while he's hot and before he has another childish mental meltdown.

Caveman Techie
04-28-2009, 09:29 AM
I'd like to see Owings running from the bullpen (Todd Coffey style) with a bat in hand but it is highly unlikely if he is demoted.

Luckily we haven't been faced with game situation quite yet, but I think Owings would be a decent long relief option.

-First post

Nice first post:thumbup: I almost spit my drink on my monitor with the mental image of Owings running from the bullpen with his bat in hand. :)

Newman4
04-28-2009, 01:52 PM
I would like to see Arroyo dealt for the illusive RH bat. I think Willingham + prospects for Arroyo would work. The Nats need pitching very badly. Put Bailey and Owings in the rotation.

Ghosts of 1990
04-28-2009, 02:16 PM
I would like to see Arroyo dealt for the illusive RH bat. I think Willingham + prospects for Arroyo would work. The Nats need pitching very badly. Put Bailey and Owings in the rotation.

Agreed. Arroyo strikes me as a guy who's about to go boom. See if someone could use a SP who is 3-1 before his ERA rises even more or something on him physically breaks down. Bailey is ready for the big leagues. Complete the transformation and give us a young rotation full of young guns along with Harang who is the bull veteran of the staff.

RedLakerFan24
04-28-2009, 03:17 PM
We need a hitter thats it, without a RH we wont win many games, guys to consider, Matt Holliday (he may not be as good as he was in Coors but pitchers fear him more than Phillips and will pitch more to Votto), Magglio Ordonez ( he has lost a step but he could still hit), Jermaine Dye ( great power is what we need in the 4th spot) or Delmon Young( Young, Atheletic, and has great Potential)

corwinator3407
04-28-2009, 05:45 PM

I LOVE this idea, or for any of the guys mentioned above, especially Holliday but I don't see him going anywhere.

Chris Sabowned
04-28-2009, 07:04 PM
I LOVE this idea, or for any of the guys mentioned above, especially Holliday but I don't see him going anywhere.

I also like this. If Homer pitches a few more good games then we can start shopping Arroyo for a right handed RF.

redsfanmia
04-29-2009, 11:50 AM
You don't take away that ability at all. It just requires Dusty to make a judgment call on how to best utilize Owings. :eek:

If Owings is the long man he will not be used as a pinch hitter in a tight game. What would happen is Dusty pinch hits Owings in the 8th and the game goes 18 innings?

Krawhitham
04-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Trade him for a right handed bat

RedLakerFan24
04-29-2009, 12:40 PM
We need a RH bat, Get Someone please Walt, Dikerson is playing like Garbage, and Hariston is not a power bat who impacts the game, We need a game changer who stirkes fear into opposing pitchers, someone like Matt Holliday(GABP is almost like Coors so he could put up good numbers), Jermaine Dye or Magglio Ordonez, please Walt get this DONE

redsfanmia
04-29-2009, 01:05 PM
We need a RH bat, Get Someone please Walt, Dikerson is playing like Garbage, and Hariston is not a power bat who impacts the game, We need a game changer who stirkes fear into opposing pitchers, someone like Matt Holliday(GABP is almost like Coors so he could put up good numbers), Jermaine Dye or Magglio Ordonez, please Walt get this DONE

Are you going to pay the salary? The Reds are not going to raise payroll, especially not while drawing less than 10,000. The best we can hope for is a Johnny Gomes call up.

RedLakerFan24
04-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Are you going to pay the salary? The Reds are not going to raise payroll, especially not while drawing less than 10,000. The best we can hope for is a Johnny Gomes call up.

well if the reds get a big RH maybe reds fan will go to games, they dont waant to watch Dikerson strike out and make all those errors in left

Eric_the_Red
04-29-2009, 03:21 PM
well if the reds get a big RH maybe reds fan will go to games, they dont waant to watch Dikerson strike out and make all those errors in left

Yes because if Jermaine Dye were playing I'm sure I'd be at the ballpark every night.

RedLakerFan24
04-29-2009, 03:48 PM
i would go to the Reds game every game but i live in Los Angeles

Krawhitham
04-29-2009, 04:50 PM

and they are not going to increase attendance unless they field a better team

Kingspoint
04-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Shouldn't this be in the Minor League area?

Kingspoint
04-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Stop rushing him. He's starting to turn the corner and he is still very young. Our current rotation is fine.

No kidding.

LouisvilleCARDS
04-29-2009, 11:30 PM
If Bailey has really turned the corner and continues to pitch well, I say put him in the rotation and trade Harang or Arroyo. Thats $14 and $10 mil on the books, and three of our best young players (Volquez, Votto, Bruce) are due for big raises soon and we need a big bat in the lineup that Harang or Arroyo could lure.

Captain Hook
04-30-2009, 01:28 AM
I assume that the people that want Bailey traded feel that he will never live up to his potential.I'm sort of in that boat as well.I do think that it is a bad idea to give up on a guy that is 22 and has struggled.I'd guess that these last few starts have not increased his trade value all that much.There is little point in trading him right now because we really couldn't get that much for him anyway.

So I would like to see him continue to succeed where he is right now.It might take him doing well for some time before the Reds could demand a high return but I'm willing to root for Homer until some team has decided that he is worth it.If the Reds are forced to bring him up earlier and he does well I'm willing to reconsider this thinking.You still can never have too much pitching.

Because of Bailey's troubles that he has had preforming the Reds are sort of forced to wait and see.If a good deal comes along before Homer has a chance to fulfill is potential with the Reds they should jump.The other side of the coin is that he never succeeds and the Reds never get anything good for him.This is just a possibility the Reds have to live with now.

corwinator3407
05-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Homer's success continues. 7 shutout innings today, 5H, 1BB, 5K.

And it's his birthday tomorrow. Happy birthday Homer! Keep pitching like this.

Ghosts of 1990
05-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Homer needs to be here. He's got more upside then Owings long term and I am tired of seeing Owings get hit hard.

bleedsred
05-02-2009, 09:11 PM
How about this idea...bring up Homer and make him the 5th starter mid-June if he keeps it up. Move Owings to long relief/mop up duty...no pitching appearances after the 6th due to he will be used as a bat off the bench for innings 7/8/9 if he was not used for pitching for 1-6. Darnell gets sent down.

ChatterRed
05-03-2009, 02:19 AM
Homer Bailey
2007 5.76 e.r.a. in 9 starts for the Reds
2008 7.93 e.r.a. in 8 starts for the Reds

We've seen this song and dance before. He starts to get his act together in triple AAA and then gets pounded once he's called up. Bailey needs another month or so in triple AAA to prove it over and over and over and over and over again.

Owings has a 4.84 e.r.a.

Our 5th starters combined for a +7.00 e.r.a. last year including Bailey's 8 starts as a 5th starter.

I think Owings could use a little help in the run support column, and maybe a little more time.

schmidty622
05-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Homer Bailey
2007 5.76 e.r.a. in 9 starts for the Reds
2008 7.93 e.r.a. in 8 starts for the Reds

We've seen this song and dance before. He starts to get his act together in triple AAA and then gets pounded once he's called up. Bailey needs another month or so in triple AAA to prove it over and over and over and over and over again.

Owings has a 4.84 e.r.a.

Our 5th starters combined for a +7.00 e.r.a. last year including Bailey's 8 starts as a 5th starter.

I think Owings could use a little help in the run support column, and maybe a little more time.

This is correct. :thumbup:

improbus
05-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Homer's record and IL ERA don't mean anything. I have a few questions.

1) Has he developed anything other than his fastball?
2) What has been his attitude? Is he going to start listening to people?

I would try Maloney first (and even then, I would wait for a while). If you are going to use stats, then let's compare the two.
WHIP: Bailey 1.39; Maloney 1.11
BB's: Bailey 11 in 27 innings , Maloney 1 in 24 innings
ERA: Bailey 4.61; Maloney, 2.59
HR's allowed (a BIG deal in GABP): Bailey 6, Maloney 2

Lastly, Maloney is a Lefty which would be a nice change of pace.

Ghosts of 1990
05-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Homer's record and IL ERA don't mean anything. I have a few questions.

1) Has he developed anything other than his fastball?
2) What has been his attitude? Is he going to start listening to people?

I would try Maloney first (and even then, I would wait for a while). If you are going to use stats, then let's compare the two.
WHIP: Bailey 1.39; Maloney 1.11
BB's: Bailey 11 in 27 innings , Maloney 1 in 24 innings
ERA: Bailey 4.61; Maloney, 2.59
HR's allowed (a BIG deal in GABP): Bailey 6, Maloney 2

Lastly, Maloney is a Lefty which would be a nice change of pace.

In spring training scouts were raving about his breaking ball and changeup and by all accounts (especially Hal Mccoy and other Reds writers) said his attitude was 100% different.

ChatterRed
05-03-2009, 01:03 PM
In spring training scouts were raving about his breaking ball and changeup and by all accounts (especially Hal Mccoy and other Reds writers) said his attitude was 100% different.

I'm not saying he hasn't finally turned it around. I'm just saying he has been rushed by management (at times), producing the results I posted above...........and there are alot of impatient fans placing unreasonable expectations on the kid based on his draft position.

But in the last couple of years, he hasn't even dominated triple A hitters. I don't understand the need to rush the kid when Owings has an e.r.a. below 5.00. If Owings e.r.a. balloons to around 5.50.........and Bailey's triple A e.r.a. drops to below 3.00........and he keeps dominating, then I think you take a shot.

Where I come from, you earn your position. Just like I hope Rosales continues to hit and earns the 3B job.

I continue to see the same dreamlike attitude by fans about Bailey that I've witnessed since he was drafted. He's already proven he's not going to be a 20 or 21 year old phenom who cruises through the minors and makes it to the major leagues like KGJ or some other hitting and pitching phenoms in baseball history. He has proven to be very hittable at times for one reason or another.

What's the rush? We have a top 10 pitching staff. I say go with it until we have an injury or Owings completely falls apart (which he hasn't). The lack of run support is killing all of our pitchers right now. If we had a St. Louis or Dodgers offense, we'd be unbelievable and our pitchers would all be headed for 20 wins each. Sheesh.

gedred69
05-03-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm not saying he hasn't finally turned it around. I'm just saying he has been rushed by management (at times), producing the results I posted above...........and there are alot of impatient fans placing unreasonable expectations on the kid based on his draft position.

But in the last couple of years, he hasn't even dominated triple A hitters. I don't understand the need to rush the kid when Owings has an e.r.a. below 5.00. If Owings e.r.a. balloons to around 5.50.........and Bailey's triple A e.r.a. drops to below 3.00........and he keeps dominating, then I think you take a shot.

Where I come from, you earn your position. Just like I hope Rosales continues to hit and earns the 3B job.

I continue to see the same dreamlike attitude by fans about Bailey that I've witnessed since he was drafted. He's already proven he's not going to be a 20 or 21 year old phenom who cruises through the minors and makes it to the major leagues like KGJ or some other hitting and pitching phenoms in baseball history. He has proven to be very hittable at times for one reason or another.

What's the rush? We have a top 10 pitching staff. I say go with it until we have an injury or Owings completely falls apart (which he hasn't). The lack of run support is killing all of our pitchers right now. If we had a St. Louis or Dodgers offense, we'd be unbelievable and our pitchers would all be headed for 20 wins each. Sheesh.

A totally accurate observation. Season is young, let's see what develops. Important thing is, that WJ pulls the right strings in a timely manner if somebody starts to falter. If this team gets hot, all this discussion will be moot. (I'd put a premium on a .500 or better record against StL).