PDA

View Full Version : Cubs minor leaguer Jake Fox

cincinnati chili
04-28-2009, 01:28 AM
Anyone paying attention to this guy?

Even though he's 26 and in the Pacific Coast League, I posit that 11 homers in your first 18 games (70 at bats) is pretty okay.

11 HR, 29 RBI .443 AVG OPS 1.549

Someone on SunDeck last year suggested we target him.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72742&highlight=jake+fox

Props. Cubs have no room for him

ChatterRed
04-28-2009, 10:41 AM
Let's trade them Stubbs straight up.

knuckler
04-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Nothing wrong with a late bloomer - just ask the Cardinals if they like Ryan Ludwick. But those guys will always have to prove they aren't just performing because they have more experience than their league.

dougdirt
04-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Let's trade them Stubbs straight up.

That would be a terrible trade. Drew Stubbs is a top prospect in an organization with a solid farm system. Fox isn't a top Cubs prospect in an organization with one of the worst systems in all of baseball.

sabometrics
04-29-2009, 12:17 AM
Gotta take those inflated PCL hitting stats with a grain of salt. If I didn't see a player like this coming out of that league after the first month with those kind of stats almost every year, I'd be a bit more interested. Until then he's just another Dallas McPherson in my book.

cincinnati chili
04-29-2009, 02:18 AM
Gotta take those inflated PCL hitting stats with a grain of salt. If I didn't see a player like this coming out of that league after the first month with those kind of stats almost every year, I'd be a bit more interested. Until then he's just another Dallas McPherson in my book.

I doubt McPherson ever hit 11 homers in 18 games, even in college. Your point is well taken about the PCL, but let's remember that most people thought Geovanny was a one-year wonder and product of the league too.

I have never seen this guy play, and I don't have an informed opinion. You may be right. But I think that this run goes WAY beyond typical PCL-inflation.

Edit. Make that 12 homers in 19 games. He hit another one tonight.
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2009_04_28_iowaaa_nasaaa_1&t=g_box&did=milb

Bumstead
04-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Didn't Dallas McPherson hit 42 HR's in that league last year? At some point McPherson has hit at least 12 HR's in 19 games (while in the minors).

Fox has been up before and didn't produce. I think he used to play catcher. I vote that until he proves differently that he will remain a AAAA player along with McPherson. He is younger though, so maybe he could prove me wrong. Still, trading an actual prospect for him would be a huge mistake.

Bum

LincolnparkRed
04-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Fox has been up before and didn't produce. I think he used to play catcher. I vote that until he proves differently that he will remain a AAAA player along with McPherson. He is younger though, so maybe he could prove me wrong. Still, trading an actual prospect for him would be a huge mistake.

Bum

Let him have more than 14 at bats before we get to excited one way or another. Small samples sizes and all.

Bumstead
04-29-2009, 12:42 PM
I don't disagree with that. All I'm saying is you don't give up a real prospect for him or rely on him to do anything. He should be like me on my softball team: "unexpected help." Taking a flier on the guy is one thing, giving up Stubbs or anyone among the Reds top 20+ prospects is totally different in my opinion.

Bum

TOBTTReds
04-30-2009, 12:02 AM
How about in 2008 .307/.397/.580 with 25 HR, in 105 games 46/73 bb/k in the Southern League?

That's solid.

cincinnati chili
04-30-2009, 01:52 AM
Didn't Dallas McPherson hit 42 HR's in that league last year? At some point McPherson has hit at least 12 HR's in 19 games (while in the minors).

Bum

McPherson's best month last year was 11 homers (June). He had at least 109 plate appearances during the month. His OPS was 1.314 and he was a month short of 28 years old http://www.minorleaguesplits.com/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?pl=425774

Fox has 12 homers in about 80 plate appearances this year. His OPS is 1.579 and he's 26 years old.

This site rates Albuquerque as the best offensive park in the minor leagues, while Iowa is pretty neutral.

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/oracle/discussion/2007_minor_league_park_multipliers/

Sure, there's plenty not to like. His K to walk ratio is not good, when you consider it's almost certain to spike in the majors.

But we're all overthinking this. He hit over 30 homers in the minors last year and now has nothing to prove in triple a. He's having an extraordinary run and somebody should make a play for him.

George Anderson
04-30-2009, 09:59 AM
I used to umpire many of Jake Fox's games when he played at Bandit Yard in Greenfield, Indiana and then for Cathedral HS in Indianapolis. I can't add much to the discussion about him other than he is a damn good kid, a hard worker and would definitely be an asset to the Reds organization.

Wallyposter
04-30-2009, 11:33 AM
I second the George Anderson comments. Jake is a great kid and would be a quality person to have in the organization. He only had a cup of coffee with the Cubs, so it's not fair to say he was up and didn't produce, he was called up from AA and wasn't given much of a chance. His solid numbers for the Tennessee Smokies last year, are indeed solid: 25 HR, .307 BA and are followed up with an amazing start to the season in AAA. The kid can hit and plays hard.

Bumstead
04-30-2009, 02:15 PM
I didn't say that he wouldn't be worth giving a shot in LF. I said we shouldn't trade one of our better prospects for him. You have to consider league and age when looking at those numbers though. Even if McPherson, the great player that he is, didn't hit that many homers in that few games, I doubt Fox will hit more HR's than McPherson did last year in the same league; if you can trade a lesser propect for him, it might be worth it. Stranger things have happened. How good a fielder is he? Anyone?

Bum

George Anderson
04-30-2009, 07:09 PM
Another thing about Fox is while he is a firstbaseman/outfielder right now I know from HS to a few years ago he was a catcher. He would fill the role of a emergency catcher nicely.

BEETTLEBUG
04-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Who would you be willing to give up for Fox? Any names?

Bumstead
04-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Me? Personally I don't think the Cubs would trade him to the Reds but...I would probably trade Maloney as I think he has been passed by several guys and really is not much of a prospect (I know, some people on here really like him). It depends on what the Cubs would need (position-wise); I would have no problem with anyone on this list: Hopper, Richar, Wilkin Castillo, Cumberland,etc (I would probably throw Sean Henry at them if they wanted him; maybe I need a shield... :D). I don't know, like I said, some lesser prospect that could be dealt on a need for need basis. There are probably other pitchers but the Reds are light in that area. Dump Lincoln on them!!! :p:

There you go, for what it is worth.

Bum