PDA

View Full Version : all-time bad/nice guys

bounty37h
04-28-2009, 03:25 PM
I was curious after reading a story recently about a guy meeting his hero, and how dissapointed he was when the player was rude and mean to him. Got me thinking to my own expereinces of good and bad, and wanted to see others experiences or thoughts. What is, by position, your all-time nice guy, and all time not-so-nice guy Reds team? I have mine mostly made up, but not sure for a few spots because of lack of info. Sadly, my 2 Reds childhood heros headline my not-so nice guy list, at least from my own interactions with them, hope to see them on someone else good list....

Eric_the_Red
04-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Any nice guy list without Sean Casey is suspect. Nicest guy ever.

Eddie Taubensee was a great guy as well. Very patient with fans and signing autographs.

mroby85
04-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Brandon Phillips has been very nice any time i've ever met him.
Votto was pretty friendly, and also signed a picture I sent to the stadium and returned it. Bruce was a real nice guy as well. I haven't really met any Reds players that were jerks, Marty was probably the grouchiest, but that's just Marty.

Ghosts of 1990
04-28-2009, 03:42 PM

Eddie Taubensee was a great guy as well. Very patient with fans and signing autographs.

I met them both several times and they were great guys. Above the pretty good guys like Larkin, Griffey Jr. and Boone offhand.

Ghosts of 1990
04-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Couple of other guys who were really great to the fans that I had firsthand experiences with:

Scott Sullivan
Jason LaRue
Jose Rijo

You can also add Tim Lincecum and Jay Bruce to that list. Both are class acts.

Eric_the_Red
04-28-2009, 03:49 PM
We used to wait in the garage at Riverfront/Cinergy after games for autographs, and certain guys would sign all the time. Casey & Taubensee signed almost every night we were there. Other frequent signers were Dmitri, Sully, Aaron Boone, Tucker, Tomko, Belinda, Corky Miller and a few others.

Larkin and Reese never signed. They would often walk by and wave while they were "talking" on their cell phones. Not that players have to sign by any means, but every once in a awhile would be nice.

Once Sean Casey was handed a cell phone and told "say hi to my brother". So Casey being Casey naturally obliged and spoke to the guy for a few moments. :thumbup:

Another time Taubensee was standing with his little boy, and someone asked for his son to sign his card too. ET handed his son the card and Sharpie and had him scribble on it.

bounty37h
04-28-2009, 03:55 PM

Yeah, I figured to read his name a lot on here. Taubensee was great, he signed a catchers helmet and cards for me at spring trianing a few years back, adn was among the nicest IMO.

bounty37h
04-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Brandon Phillips has been very nice any time i've ever met him.
Votto was pretty friendly, and also signed a picture I sent to the stadium and returned it. Bruce was a real nice guy as well. I haven't really met any Reds players that were jerks, Marty was probably the grouchiest, but that's just Marty.

I met Marty in Plant City at ST one year, and I have to say, he was the nicest person I have met out of any experience in my life!!!! He talked to my dad and I for a long time, adn then had NCAA scores relayed to us over the PA system every half inning during a UNC game that day.

ChatterRed
04-28-2009, 04:00 PM
I met Barry Larkin early in his career. I was out on the town with a friend of mine who graduated from Moeller about the same time Barry went there. He introduced me to Barry, and Barry was nice and cool to me. Hopefully Barry was nice and cool all the way through his career.........but I suspect he was young at that point, just starting to get used to all the attention and didn't mind it, and finally, he knew my friend pretty well and didn't mind meeting me.

I went to the Olympic B-ball tryouts in Bloomington back in '84. Talk about the all-time b-ball greats all in one room. I stood next to Michael Jordan while he was playing pool. I remember Charles Barkley being there. I think Olajawon was there. They were all still collegians..........but they were all really cool, talkative and friendly. But I still remember about 10 years later looking back and realizing how many b-ball greats were in that room that day. Unreal.

bounty37h
04-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Couple of other guys who were really great to the fans that I had firsthand experiences with:

Scott Sullivan
Jason LaRue
Jose Rijo

You can also add Tim Lincecum and Jay Bruce to that list. Both are class acts.

My story of LaRue is another ST story, just a couple years ago. A few hours after the game, my buddies and I stopped at some fast food joint for a quick bite, and Jason was in his car coming through the drivethrough. I stared for a moment, trying to figure out if that was him, and he caught me and probably figured I was going to ask for his auto, and actually pulled off to the side as if to allow me to ask him (I dont know for sure thats what he was doing, but it seemed likely in this case). I waved at him and said hi, but didn't bother him any further, and I didnt have anythign to sign anyway. Glad to hear of Rijo, he ignored fans the few times I have seen him.

bounty37h
04-28-2009, 04:04 PM
I met Barry Larkin early in his career. I was out on the town with a friend of mine who graduated from Moeller about the same time Barry went there. He introduced me to Barry, and Barry was nice and cool to me. Hopefully Barry was nice and cool all the way through his career.........but I suspect he was young at that point, just starting to get used to all the attention and didn't mind it, and finally, he knew my friend pretty well and didn't mind meeting me.

I went to the Olympic B-ball tryouts in Bloomington back in '84. Talk about the all-time b-ball greats all in one room. I stood next to Michael Jordan while he was playing pool. I remember Charles Barkley being there. I think Olajawon was there. They were all still collegians..........but they were all really cool, talkative and friendly. But I still remember about 10 years later looking back and realizing how many b-ball greats were in that room that day. Unreal.

Thats an awesome story!!!! I am in CH, so sed to see Jordan all the time, but as you said, had no idea at that point who I was seeing. I had a basketball signed by the 82 NCAA champs, and played with it, leaving it in the rain-Jorda, Worthy, Perkins, etc, all ruined. My wife bought me a Jordan signed jersey for my wedding gift, but dag I wish I could ahve that ball back!

ChatterRed
04-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Thats an awesome story!!!! I am in CH, so sed to see Jordan all the time, but as you said, had no idea at that point who I was seeing. I had a basketball signed by the 82 NCAA champs, and played with it, leaving it in the rain-Jorda, Worthy, Perkins, etc, all ruined. My wife bought me a Jordan signed jersey for my wedding gift, but dag I wish I could ahve that ball back!

I was wrong. It wasn't Olajuwon but Ewing. Wayman Tisdale was there too. So was Sam Perkins.

freestyle55
04-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Anthony Munoz is on the good guy list. When I was probably like 10 or so, he came to the local IGA to do a meet and greet. We got there a few minutes late and they were packing up, but he took the time out to talk to us for a couple minutes and shake our hands...nice guy...

I'll echo the Eddie Taubensee comments too...

bounty37h
04-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Haven't seen anyones not-so-nice Reds list yet, I will throw out a few of mine. My alltime and first ever hero, Johnny Bench, was the biggest jerk of all when I met him at a celebrity golf tourney a few years back. Eric Davis was pretty rude at the Reds-futures game in Zebulon a few weeks back. Joe Oliver flipped some fans off at a ST game once when they asked for autos. Paul ONeill walked by and muttered something under his breath once, and another player came over behind him and told us he knew how to get Paul back, and walked after him-a few moments later, Paul came back over, looked around, and shouted back "where is she", to which the players cracked up laughing, and told me later they told him a girl wanted to, uh, get friendly with him, so he came back for that, but still was rude to the kids. Neon Dion was pretty rude to the kids once as well, and I swear I smelled weed smoke in his car when he rolled his window down once to tell us he wasnt signing autos. I have seen many others play the "too busy/ on phone/ will be back later to sign", etc lines, but not basing a decision on them either way for those players....

Fon Duc Tow
04-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Pete Rose.

OpeningDay
04-28-2009, 10:47 PM
When I was in grade school we had an assignment to write a letter to someone we look up to, so myself being a football player wrote a letter to Anthony Munoz. Without asking for a response, I received a handwritten letter giving me life advice and thanking me for the letter I sent that was 2 pages long along with a signed rookie card (both of which I still have to this day). To this day, I am thoroughly impressed with his character along with his career.

Ghosts of 1990
04-29-2009, 12:43 AM
When I worked for the Bengals in 2005, I met both Collinsworth and Anthony Munoz as well as Marvin Lewis. Add to that Shane Graham and Willie Anderson.

All these guys were class acts. And I'm not a Bengals fan.

Ghosts of 1990
04-29-2009, 12:44 AM
As much as I liked him, after 2002 Adam Dunn was never, ever personable to anyone. Never. Never went out of his way to so much as acknowledge fans. Just a jerk. And I was one of his biggest fans.

BurgervilleBuck
04-29-2009, 03:13 AM
Collinsworth is a good guy. So was Munoz and Boomer when I met them.

When I was a kid, Pete Rose was signing autographs at a sporting goods store in Cheviot where I grew up. This was when he was with the Phillies. I just remember him being very crabby and short with everyone. Don't know what his problem was but it made me realize that a bad person can still be a good player. We found that out a few years later, didn't we? (He still belongs in the HOF)

Of all the Reds that I've met, I'll have to say that Nuxy was the most friendly and personable guy I ever met. Nobody was a stranger to that guy.

bounty37h
04-29-2009, 11:16 AM
When I was in grade school we had an assignment to write a letter to someone we look up to, so myself being a football player wrote a letter to Anthony Munoz. Without asking for a response, I received a handwritten letter giving me life advice and thanking me for the letter I sent that was 2 pages long along with a signed rookie card (both of which I still have to this day). To this day, I am thoroughly impressed with his character along with his career.

I wrote Matt Williams his rookie year with the Giants, and he sent me back a letter saying how cool it was to get fan mail, his experiences through the minors and making the team, how it felt when he found he made the 40man, etc., such a nice guy, and also included my auto'ed card as well as a couple other cards and Ginats pics he included on his own. What kind of advise did Munoz pass along to you in his letter? That had to be cool for you to pull out of the mail!

bounty37h
04-29-2009, 11:20 AM
I knew Pete Rose would come up, I didn't list him as I have never had a chance to really meet him face to face to get my own experience, but have def heard enough horror stories about him.
I also want to add in that Brice and Votto were both very friendly when I met them in Durham during their time witht he Bats-I wouldnt say they were overly friendly, but they were polite and signed for more then I had expected from what I had heard about them-they both stopped and took time to sign when I saw them asked. Votto also mailed me a signed picture back last year during the off season that I had sent him in ST, so it took a long time-I had written it off with all the others that didnt respond-but it made me appreacite it that much more maybe.

batsfan
04-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Adam Rosales.

freestyle55
04-29-2009, 04:05 PM
George Grande and Chris Welsh were really nice guys at Redsfest this year...took a few pictures with my son and I, and even remembered us the next day...

Eric Davis at Redsfest...not so much. I even paid to buy his DVD, and he could barely be bothered to give me the time of day when we asked him to sign a ball and take a picture, despite the fact that IT'S WHAT HE WAS THERE TO DO!

Fon Duc Tow
04-29-2009, 04:16 PM
I wrote Matt Williams his rookie year with the Giants, and he sent me back a letter saying how cool it was to get fan mail, his experiences through the minors and making the team, how it felt when he found he made the 40man, etc., such a nice guy, and also included my auto'ed card as well as a couple other cards and Ginats pics he included on his own. What kind of advise did Munoz pass along to you in his letter? That had to be cool for you to pull out of the mail!

Wow! 1987 right? The grain Topps cards I think? I sent him a card too that year. And you know what? He sent me back the signed card, 2 other baseball cards, and some pictures, along with a handwritten note thanking me for being a fan. I couldn't believe it.

Like you I am sure, I sent out a bunch of cards to players that year for autographs. His was the coolest response by far, and I'll probably always remember it. Thanks for the reminder. :beerme:

I guess I'll throw my own story in there. Even though my friends told me not to "because he was a jerk and never signed," I sent Eric Davis 3 cards to be autographed the same year I sent the cards to Matt Williams. A 1985 Topps rookie card, a 1987 Fleer and one other one I can't remember.

It took more than 2 months but he actually returned them. There was no letter, and only one card was signed, the 1985 Topps rookie card. In retrospect it probably took the value down on the card, but to me at the time it was like throwing caution to the wind, swinging for the proverbial fences, and then having it pay off.

Anyway, I read the earlier post about ED being a jerk so I thought I would throw that in there.

Driver62
04-29-2009, 04:22 PM
I never met anyone but my wife met and had her picture taken with Boomer and Chris Collinsworth at the Precinct. She said they were both very nice.

Redlegs23
04-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Nicest = Taubensee & Collinsworth

Biggest Jerk = Bench

bounty37h
04-30-2009, 11:07 AM
George Grande and Chris Welsh were really nice guys at Redsfest this year...took a few pictures with my son and I, and even remembered us the next day...

Eric Davis at Redsfest...not so much. I even paid to buy his DVD, and he could barely be bothered to give me the time of day when we asked him to sign a ball and take a picture, despite the fact that IT'S WHAT HE WAS THERE TO DO!

Yeah, I met Davis a few weeks ago at the game in Zebulon-he was standing at hte corner of the dugout, my seats were 3 away from him. I got up when there werent others around and went to say hi, told him what a fan I was of the Reds, and that he had been my favorite to watch as a kid, told him a story about the 90 series and my perspective, and that I had bought a few items recently from his charity foundation, Hitting from the Heart. After this, i asked him if he would sign my program, and he looked at me (for the first time, didnt look at me much when I was talking) and responded simply "I'm not going to do that for you man" and turned away fom me. My face must have said a lot, cause I turned around and a very nice lady (she said she had a son who worked there I think) who was sitting behind me with her young sons responded how disapointed she was in him and the team from her sons experience before the game, saying they shouldn't have even come if they are going to be so bothered by fans-its a low-minors park and their fans are used to better treatrment and geting to know players. I sat ther for an inning or so before needing another beer, and when I got up, she told me to leave a ball and she would get her son to get it signed for me-I thanked her, but said I didnt really want it anymore after that. She must have said something to Eric, cause when I came back, he kept looking over at me the rest of the game, and after the game he came over and signed my program-a very ugly signature at that-and I said I was surprised after his initial reaction, and he said he never said that. Oh well.

bounty37h
04-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Wow! 1987 right? The grain Topps cards I think? I sent him a card too that year. And you know what? He sent me back the signed card, 2 other baseball cards, and some pictures, along with a handwritten note thanking me for being a fan. I couldn't believe it.

Like you I am sure, I sent out a bunch of cards to players that year for autographs. His was the coolest response by far, and I'll probably always remember it. Thanks for the reminder. :beerme:

I guess I'll throw my own story in there. Even though my friends told me not to "because he was a jerk and never signed," I sent Eric Davis 3 cards to be autographed the same year I sent the cards to Matt Williams. A 1985 Topps rookie card, a 1987 Fleer and one other one I can't remember.

It took more than 2 months but he actually returned them. There was no letter, and only one card was signed, the 1985 Topps rookie card. In retrospect it probably took the value down on the card, but to me at the time it was like throwing caution to the wind, swinging for the proverbial fences, and then having it pay off.

Anyway, I read the earlier post about ED being a jerk so I thought I would throw that in there.

Yup, that was it! I was dissapointed to see his name last season in with the roids list-I liked him so much after he took the time to do that for me! That left a long lasting impression on me that he would do that, certainly above and beyond wat I expected, he made my day for certain!!!
That was a time when I sent a lot of requests out-I dont do nearly as many now, lucky to get 4-5 out a year actually anymore-just dont get responses much anymore. But man, as a kid, there was nothing better then coming home from school and finding a letter in the mail, and anxiously opening it to see what ya got!!! Ah, to be a kid again!
Cool story you got Davis throught he mail-I tried around that time and got the cards back with a note/picture about his fan club, but I understood he prob got a lot of requests and couldnt fill them all, so was happy to get something at least.

bounty37h
04-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Nicest = Taubensee & Collinsworth

Biggest Jerk = Bench

Yeah, Bench was the biggest dissapointment ever for me with autos-he truly was my hero-I went to his HOF induction, camping on the street the night before to be front row (of reg peeps, not roped off area for family/press/etc), and have made many other attempts to see/meet him over the years. I finally met him at the Dook Childrens Golf Classic the year I graduated college-a low level celeb tourney in its last years, so not many people there. I waited at a secluded hole to approach him so as not to gather a crowd bothering hoim, and politely asked for his autograph. He was as rude as any person could have been, saying he was there to play golf and not be bothered by annoying fans (the item I wanted him to sign was my 4'th grade halloween costume, a painting on of his 1983 baseball card my aunt had made for me). My girlfriend at that time was with me, and I had to hold her back from cussing him out after that, she sure wanted to give him an earfull!!

CySeymour
04-30-2009, 11:56 AM
I haven't heard a lot of great things about Bench, either...and he is my favorite player ever, so it's pretty dissapointing.

Before the 1999 season, I went to the caravan stop here in Indy. All the players were fairly nice, but Dimitri Young, although not rude, really seemed to be disinterested. The absolute best was Aaron Boone. He went out of his way to talk to me and thank for for coming by.

Back in the 80's, I sent out cards to two players asking for autographs. I included SASE for them to return them in. The two players, Mario Soto and Mike Schmidt. I got Soto's card back within a couple of weeks, which was great. I remember I got Schmidt's back the day of one of my last high school game. It included the card signed and a signed letter, which was great because I did not ask for it. The funny thing was, I got it back 2 years after I sent it hehehehhe...hey, at least he sent it back, so I was happy :)

bounty37h
04-30-2009, 01:19 PM
I haven't heard a lot of great things about Bench, either...and he is my favorite player ever, so it's pretty dissapointing.

Before the 1999 season, I went to the caravan stop here in Indy. All the players were fairly nice, but Dimitri Young, although not rude, really seemed to be disinterested. The absolute best was Aaron Boone. He went out of his way to talk to me and thank for for coming by.

Back in the 80's, I sent out cards to two players asking for autographs. I included SASE for them to return them in. The two players, Mario Soto and Mike Schmidt. I got Soto's card back within a couple of weeks, which was great. I remember I got Schmidt's back the day of one of my last high school game. It included the card signed and a signed letter, which was great because I did not ask for it. The funny thing was, I got it back 2 years after I sent it hehehehhe...hey, at least he sent it back, so I was happy :)

Klu, I had a similar experience with Schmidt when I was younger, sent him a card (think a 84 Topps if I recall right), and got it back at least 2 years later signed. Yeah, thats a long time, but was so glad to get it I didnt care!

CySeymour
04-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Klu, I had a similar experience with Schmidt when I was younger, sent him a card (think a 84 Topps if I recall right), and got it back at least 2 years later signed. Yeah, thats a long time, but was so glad to get it I didnt care!

ha ha! Too funny...I'm sure, though, back in those days he was getting a seriously huge amount of mail.

Fon Duc Tow
04-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Cool story you got Davis throught he mail-I tried around that time and got the cards back with a note/picture about his fan club, but I understood he prob got a lot of requests and couldnt fill them all, so was happy to get something at least.

Hehe After I got mine back with the 85 topps signed, one of my friends sent ED a few to sign and got the fan club response back too. I guess I just caught ED on a good day at the right time.

Just as a footnote to the story, I left all of my cards behind years ago, including my autographs (stupid, but I was young). One of the other posters here has an avatar of ED's 85 Topps card autographed I think. Every time I see that it reminds me of my ED autograph good fortune.

Oh to be a kid again, indeed. :cool: That's all I thought about back then was baseball cards and baseball stats.

bounty37h
04-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Hehe After I got mine back with the 85 topps signed, one of my friends sent ED a few to sign and got the fan club response back too. I guess I just caught ED on a good day at the right time.

Just as a footnote to the story, I left all of my cards behind years ago, including my autographs (stupid, but I was young). One of the other posters here has an avatar of ED's 85 Topps card autographed I think. Every time I see that it reminds me of my ED autograph good fortune.

Oh to be a kid again, indeed. :cool: That's all I thought about back then was baseball cards and baseball stats.

I actually just bought one of those signed 85 rookies through his foundation, paid $10 I think.
I still have most of my cards from a kid, and actually started collecting again @ 6 or 7 years ago-now that I am grown and can afford how expensive they are these days-hehe. My wife also has taken to it, thinks its like gambling hoping for hte big hit :) Makes it fun though having someone to do it with.
What kills me is my auto collection as a kid is mostly gone, and dont know what happened. My parents moved when I was in college, and havent seen it since. My parents wouldnt throw it out-my dad got me started and collected too, and knew of their value. My grandma hepled pack though, adn was in early-mid stages of alzhemiers, so who knows. There were countless HOF'ers, many of whom passed away mid-80s or since. Other HOF'ers, Willie, Hank, etc....Hurts everytime I get a new auto, wishing I was adding it to my original collection instead of rebuilding.

BigPoppa
07-02-2009, 03:39 AM
In Durwood Merrill's book, he tells a story of a ST game sometime in the 70's when Pete Rose was on the Wheaties box. A kid approached Pete and asked him very politely to sign his Wheaties box. As Durwood tells it, Pete took the box from the kid....paused....and then reared back and just launched the box.

If true, add Pete to the all time bad guy list. Not cool.

BigPoppa
07-02-2009, 03:42 AM
As a kid (late 70's - early 80's) my Dad would take us to Spring Training every year. I was a Tom Seaver fanatic.

Got my picture made with Seaver, Foster, Morgan, Concepcion IIRC. I remember Sparky Anderson being very friendly and courteous to us.

Boston Red
07-02-2009, 11:13 AM
From my grounds crew days in the mid-'90s, I can tell you that by far and away the best guy (and it's not even close) was Lee Smith. Taubensee, Burba and Rijo were probably the next tier of good guys. Boom Boom Hume was by far the best guy on the coaching staff. Nothing really good (or bad) to say about Larkin. He wanted to do his job and be left alone, but he wasn't a jerk.

ukwazoo
07-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Eric Davis isn't all bad, apparently. I've had plenty of good Davis interactions. We used to go watch the Reds practice in Plant City. I'd say we went about five years in a row, and I got ED's autograph every time. Told him I was his biggest fan (was a little kid), and he thanked me.

When he was playing for the Orioles, I saw him in St. Pete, playing the Rays. A lot of guys walked by all the fans, and just got on the bus. Davis stayed and signed, until everyone was gone.

And the kicker, at the Cubs-Braves 2003 NLDS in Atlanta, I walked up to the concession stand, pretty wasted, and saw him in line. I went up to him, bothered the hell out of him, was sure I came across as a drunken idiot, and he was very polite and talked to me like he wasn't bothered at all.

Good Sean Casey story, as well. After the Reds and Marlins played 5-6 years ago in Miami, my dad and I headed back home (from Miami to Orlando). We stopped at a gas station for some snacks and fuel, and I went inside the gas station store. I saw this big guy with hair that looked like Casey's, and I thought there was surely no way he could have already showered, changed, and beaten us to the gas station.

I walked around to the side of him, and sure enough, it was him. He had homered twice that night, so I told him great game, etc. He said thanks, and asked if I was from there, and thanked me for making the drive to support them. He talked to me for about five minutes, so seeing that he was pretty engaging and friendly, I asked him if he would come outside and surprise the hell out of my dad by knocking on his driver-side window. That's when he said, "hey mom, I'll call you back". He had a bluetooth in his other ear, which of course I didn't know (he wasn't talking to anyone else), and I felt about an inch tall.

But he got off of the phone with his freaking mom to go outside and surprise my dad. Unreal. He was the nicest guy in the world. I don't think I'll ever meet another athlete as ridiculously nice as he is.