PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Freel Is Unhappy in Baltimore - Welcome to Chicago

redsfan4445
04-28-2009, 07:16 PM
per mlbtraderomurs:

"Ryan Freel Is Unhappy
By Tim Dierkes [April 28 at 3:20pm CST]

Ryan Freel's Orioles career is not off to a good start. He's trying to bounce back from a head injury, and has gripes with the team's handling of the situation according to MASN's Steve Melewski. His reply when asked whether he wants to stay with the Orioles:

"I think change is good for people. I think the expectations were for me to come here and perform in a different way than I did. I don't think I met the expectations the way I in spring training. There is nothing wrong with change. I don't think I fit here. I can't control what they do with me. It's putting a damper on my career."

You may recall that Freel met with Andy MacPhail on April 15th over playing time concerns. It seems that the O's acquired Freel for Ramon Hernandez in December mainly just to free up cash (they saved $3.5MM) and a catching spot for Matt Wieters."

Dont worry Im not hoping he is a Red again.. just sharing news

WMR
04-28-2009, 07:21 PM
I don't know what Freel expects. He's lucky to be on a big league roster, IMO.

WVRedsFan
04-28-2009, 07:25 PM
True. Mr. Freel is discovering that most teams won't put up with non performance. Only the Reds would have ever given him a chance.

Team Clark
04-28-2009, 07:33 PM

Everyone but Freel understands that... :(

Rojo
04-28-2009, 08:05 PM
True. Mr. Freel is discovering that most teams won't put up with non performance. Only the Reds would have ever given him a chance.

Most teams would've gladly taken his 2004-2006.

bucksfan
04-28-2009, 10:51 PM

Very true.

WVRedsFan
04-28-2009, 11:39 PM

I don't know. It was OK (.271/.363/.762), but those numbers decreased the longer he played, which became common for Freel. He used so much energy, it appeared he burnt himself out. If used as he should have been, as a spot starter and supersub, he would have been OK, but his managers (the infamous Miley, Narron, and even Baker) always got tempted to start him somewhere, and that's something I really believe wouldn't happend anywhere else.

He's played a few games for the Orioles this year and it appears that he's off to a bad start.

Rojo
04-28-2009, 11:44 PM
I don't know. It was OK (.271/.363/.762), but those numbers decreased the longer he played, which became common for Freel.

Meaning that the numbers were higher before he wore down.

Nobody doesn't want a guy who can OB over than .360, run and play five positions credibly. Nobody.

WVRedsFan
04-28-2009, 11:51 PM
Meaning that the numbers were higher before he wore down.

Nobody doesn't want a guy who can OB over than .360, run and play five positions credibly. Nobody.

Touche.

But, can he still do that? That's where I was going. And neither one of us can answer that question. He'll have to prove me wrong (and he might, but I doubt it).

Rojo
04-29-2009, 03:27 AM
Only the Reds would have ever given him a chance.

Your words. And it was good for the team they did. Anytime you can steal three years worth of production for nothing, do it.

Jpup
04-29-2009, 08:19 AM
Ryan Freel will get plenty of chances elsewhere if the O's don't want him. I'm sure they could trade him quickly. Darnell McDonald is available...hopefully.

dfs
04-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Ryan Freel will get plenty of chances elsewhere if the O's don't want him.

Perhaps my sarcasto-meter is off, but I think once his guaranteed contract is over, Freel is going to be a NRI to spring training and likely won't stick.

He's not what he was and what he was was never really that valuable.

Chip R
04-29-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't think that writer asked Farney what his opinion was.

TRF
04-29-2009, 01:29 PM
He's not what he was and what he was was never really that valuable.

your opinion. I'll echo rojo...

cumberlandreds
04-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Ryan Freel will get plenty of chances elsewhere if the O's don't want him. I'm sure they could trade him quickly. Darnell McDonald is available...hopefully.

Freel will get one more shot with the DC Nats. Isn't that where all former Reds now go to end their career? :)

dfs
04-29-2009, 02:14 PM
your opinion. I'll echo rojo...
Marlon Anderson is looking for work. Freel is two years younger and his OPS is 20 points higher.

By the time Freel's current contract runs out, he's going to be a nri to spring training and lucky to make a team.

TRF
04-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Marlon Anderson is looking for work. Freel is two years younger and his OPS is 20 points higher.

By the time Freel's current contract runs out, he's going to be a nri to spring training and lucky to make a team.

Not the point. you said he was never valuable. that's flat wrong.

dfs
04-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Not the point. you said he was never valuable. that's flat wrong.
Fair enough. I misunderstood.

We differ in the value Ryan Freel gave the reds. I think the message of Ryan Freel (or Jeff Keppinger or many others) isn't so much an individual lesson as it is that "free" talent that can play a little bit really is out there if you can find it.

gm
04-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Trying to get a full season of starts out of Ryan Freel is like taking a dragster on a road trip

(or something like that)

Mainspark
05-08-2009, 11:58 AM
From today's Baltimore Sun... sounds like Freel might be released.

Freel's status unclear
Infielder-outfielder Ryan Freel (head trauma) was supposed to play in at least one game of a doubleheader for Double-A Bowie on Thursday as part of a rehabilitation assignment but sat out both ends, leading to speculation that his time with the Orioles is ending.

"We expect there will be a resolution in a day or two that will be to everyone's satisfaction," Orioles club president Andy MacPhail said.

MacPhail would not confirm whether Freel, who is making $4 million this year, would be traded or released. He said the possibility of Freel playing again on a minor league rehab assignment for the Orioles is unclear.

"His status is still up in the air," MacPhail said.

Dealt to Baltimore from the Cincinnati Reds in December as part of the Ramon Hernandez trade, Freel became the odd man out with the Orioles. He had just two hits in 15 at-bats spanning nine games before being hit in the head by a pickoff attempt April 20. He said he didn't fit with the Orioles but hasn't publicly asked for a trade or his release.

WVRedsFan
05-08-2009, 12:30 PM
From today's Baltimore Sun... sounds like Freel might be released.

Oh, dear God no. What ya wanna bet we give him a chance again?

Jpup
05-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Oh, dear God no. What ya wanna bet we give him a chance again?

I would much rather have him than Darnell McDonald.

TheNext44
05-08-2009, 02:49 PM

Can say that about around 100 other players who are available.

MrCinatit
05-08-2009, 03:03 PM
I am still very surprised the Reds were even able to get a warm body for Freel - let alone a viable catcher who is able to catch throws from the outfield.

oneupper
05-08-2009, 03:05 PM
I am still very surprised the Reds were even able to get a warm body for Freel - let alone a viable catcher who is able to catch throws from the outfield.

Reds made off like bandits on this trade.

WVRedsFan
05-08-2009, 03:17 PM
I would have to think about that one. Freel isn't the Freel you know and love anymore. Wasn't it said after his last concussion that he shouldn't have any more?

On second thought, how about we don't have either one on our roster.

RFS62
05-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Reds made off like bandits on this trade.

Indeed.

westofyou
05-08-2009, 03:24 PM

Why? He costs 4 million, is perpetually hurt, can't play any positions very well and did I mention he's making 4 million bucks a year?

Then on top of that he feels he should get more time?

Pass, I'll take Darnell 100 times over that train wreck.

Jpup
05-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Why? He costs 4 million, is perpetually hurt, can't play any positions very well and did I mention he's making 4 million bucks a year?

Then on top of that he feels he should get more time?

Pass, I'll take Darnell 100 times over that train wreck.

Freel will cost the minimum when he gets DFA'd. McDonald has no business on a MLB roster and, I guess, that's my issue. Whether Freel does is not up for debate IMO.

westofyou
05-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Freel will cost the minimum when he gets DFA'd. McDonald has no business on a MLB roster and, I guess, that's my issue. Whether Freel does is not up for debate IMO.

So what?

He'll still suck and be accident prone, move on McDonald ain't the problem.

Jpup
05-08-2009, 04:05 PM
So what?

He'll still suck and be accident prone, move on McDonald ain't the problem.

McDonald isn't the problem, but he is a symptom of a larger problem. I don't think Freel sucks, but to each his own.

Strikes Out Looking
05-08-2009, 04:49 PM
It's being reported (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-ostrade508,0,687630.story) that Freel is going to the Cubs for Joey Gathright and it is a done deal.

Chip R
05-08-2009, 04:49 PM
It's being reported (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-ostrade508,0,687630.story) that Freel is going to the Cubs for Joey Gathright and it is a done deal.

Freel and those brick walls at Wrigley = not a good combination.

Jpup
05-08-2009, 04:52 PM
If Freel is a Cub, then he sucks. Sorry for everything good I ever said about him. ;)

RichRed
05-08-2009, 05:14 PM
I love it when the Cubs make deals to get older and (probably) worse.

redsfan4445
05-08-2009, 05:27 PM
done deal:

Ryan Freel Traded For Joey Gathright
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [May 8 at 4:22pm CST]

4:22pm: Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that the Orioles will continue to pay part of the $3.3MM Freel will make before the end of the season.

3:38pm: The Orioles have traded Freel to the Cubs for Gathright, according to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun. Gathright has already cleared waivers and will be assigned to Triple-A Norfolk.

12:54pm: Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Cubs are talking to the Orioles about a trade for Ryan Freel. As Rosenthal points out, the Cubs have more oufield depth than expected, thanks to Micah Hoffpauir and Kosuke Fukudome. Joey Gathright, who has batted only 14 times this year, is expendable. The Orioles are talking to other clubs about Freel, who has about $3.3MM remaining on this year's contract.

RFS62
05-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Freel and those brick walls at Wrigley = not a good combination.

Somebody better tell him there are bricks behind that ivy.

Joseph
05-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Boo Cubs!

Seriously, not sure if this helps them or hurts them. Probably a wash as JG wasn't much of a piece of the puzzle in Chi-town.

Jpup
05-08-2009, 07:12 PM
He's not going to get much time in Chicago, but he's going to be on the best team of his life.

GAC
05-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Somebody better tell him there are bricks behind that ivy.

He'll find out for himself. He's probably also allergic to ivy.

remdog
05-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Freel may get some playing time at third with Aramis Rameriez' injury.

Rem

Will M
05-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Freel is a good defender in LF or RF. He gets poor reads in CF & dives for too many balls he can't catch. He is a poor defender at 2B & 3B.

When healthy he has a good OBP. Then he gets picked off at an unbelievably bad rate in addition to getting caught stealing a lot.

Oh yeh, he gets injured a lot.

Getting Hernandez for him was an absolute steal. I thought at the time simply moving Freel for a guy with a pulse was a good thing. Then I had hoped a change of scenery & a contract year would help Hernandez bounce back. So far the combo of Hernandez/Hanigan has been the best catching the Reds have had in years.

CarolinaRedleg
05-08-2009, 10:59 PM
An outfield with Freel and Milton Bradley is an injury waiting to happen.

LINEDRIVER
05-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Freel is quite possibly the worst base runner in MLB. Should be interesting to see the camera shot of Lou when Bonehead gets picked off base or caught in a run down, etc.

IMO, Freel's 'Run Til They Tag Me Out' mentality often crosses the fine line of aggressiveness and into stupidity.

Reds Fanatic
05-09-2009, 12:25 AM
Freel may get some playing time at third with Aramis Rameriez' injury.

Rem
It looks like Ramirez may be out 4 to 6 weeks so Freel may be playing at lot at 3rd.

Mario-Rijo
05-09-2009, 02:58 AM
It looks like Ramirez may be out 4 to 6 weeks so Freel may be playing at lot at 3rd.

Good drop down a bunch of bunts on him, he isn't the greatest at making that play on a decent bunt and good runner.

11larkin11
06-29-2009, 01:15 AM
Freel got hit today in the Cubs-CWS game as a retaliation of some sort, didn't see what. Freel proceeded to "rub it off" like "rubbing the dirt off your shoulder" as he was jogging to first. FSN Final Score guy says "Danks plunks Freel and the little guy in his head."

Man, I miss that guy. Farney, not Freel. Farney was much cooler

Screwball
06-29-2009, 01:46 AM
Freel got hit today in the Cubs-CWS game as a retaliation of some sort, didn't see what.

Zambrano hit our old buddy Dewayne Wise earlier and afterwards the two had a heated exchange of words.

MrCinatit
06-29-2009, 02:18 AM
That means Freel has been hit by a pitch only two times less than he has hit the ball with his bat.
Maybe Farney needs to start leaning in on the plate a little bit more. Might get him on base more often.

Chip R
06-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Maybe Farney needs to start leaning in on the plate a little bit more. Might get him on base more often.

Getting on base was never his problem. Staying on was.

I get the feeling that when his playing days are over, Freel is gonna be like Coach on Cheers.