PDA

View Full Version : Implications of Rosales callup

GOYA
04-28-2009, 08:37 PM
EE is on the DL.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090428&content_id=4464978&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

04/28/09 6:50 PM ET

CINCINNATI -- Reds third baseman Edwin Encarnacion was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Tuesday with a small chip fracture in his left wrist. Infielder Adam Rosales was recalled from Triple-A Louisville.

This leaves Louisville with a shortage of infielders. You think Carolina moves someone up the line?

camisadelgolf
04-28-2009, 09:19 PM
I think calling up Eric Eymann would make perfect sense. He has seniority, performed well in AA last year, and has played well the past couple weeks.

AmarilloRed
04-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Cozart is hitting .328 at Carolina. I think he'd be the perfect choice.

GOYA
04-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Eymann is not having an easy time at the plate with Carolina. Don't you think facing AAA pitching would be a bad idea right now?

(And thanks to whoever changed the thread title. It's better suited now.)

edit: I think it's possible that everyone stays where they are and they wait out Drew Sutton to get healthy.

Benihana
04-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Three options (I'm fine with any of them):

1. Wait it out until Sutton is healthy, then play Sutton at 2B and Valaika at SS.
2. Promote Cozart to Louisville and move Valaika to 3B once Sutton returns.
3. Promote Frazier to Louisville and play him at 3B.

HokieRed
04-29-2009, 12:11 AM
Looks to me like a good chance to play Dorn every day. Bankston to 3rd, Dorn to LF, Gomes to RF.

Scrap Irony
04-29-2009, 10:43 AM
If Bankston can indeed play 3B, this is the best option. Dorn needs everyday at bats at this point.

batsfan
04-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Some more options:

Promote Juan Fransisco, he is batting .429 his last five games.
Promote Heisey, play him in left, and play bankston at third.
Promote Frazier, play him and bankston at 3rd/left.

dougdirt
04-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Some more options:

Promote Juan Fransisco, he is batting .429 his last five games.
Promote Heisey, play him in left, and play bankston at third.
Promote Frazier, play him and bankston at 3rd/left.

The last thing that needs to happen is to promote Juan Francisco. I think that the thing most likely to happen is to promote an organizational guy to fill in for the time being and let the prospects get their time at their current level. With that said, Chris Heisey now has over 150 PA in AA and he has done nothing short of rake.

camisadelgolf
04-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Eymann is not having an easy time at the plate with Carolina. Don't you think facing AAA pitching would be a bad idea right now?

(And thanks to whoever changed the thread title. It's better suited now.)

edit: I think it's possible that everyone stays where they are and they wait out Drew Sutton to get healthy.
If Sutton is close, that's the way to go, but I don't think he is. What makes you say Eymann is struggling? He got off to a bad start, but he's been hitting pretty well lately. He has 7 hits in his last 15 at-bats, is on a five-game hitting streak, and hitting .300 over his past ten games. Granted, he's not setting the league on fire, but he's shown what he can do there already, and the Reds need to put him against better pitching to see if he's a legit prospect imo.

redsof72
04-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Catcher Brian Peterson was placed on the Louisville roster today.

HokieRed
04-29-2009, 06:20 PM
I guess Peterson frees up the all-talented Castillo. That must be the logic. I still hope it really means we get Bankston to 3b and everyday at-bats for Dorn.

AmarilloRed
04-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Was Peterson signed as a free agent? I don't see him as having played in 2009 so far this year(according to MILB).

redsof72
04-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Peterson was in spring training with the Reds but had been inactive up until now.

GOYA
04-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Hmmm. I'm not sure how this move makes sense other than getting Castillo out from behind the plate. Peterson has only been as high as AAA once, in 2006 for 36 games at Toledo. He doesn't appear to be anything special with a bat, he's 31 and last year he hit .243 at AA. The one thing that would make it all come together is if he has a flamethrower for an arm. Bats catchers are VERY weak in throwing out runners. And maybe he is very good at working with young pitchers. We'll see.

GOYA
04-29-2009, 08:46 PM
What makes you say Eymann is struggling? He got off to a bad start, but he's been hitting pretty well lately. He has 7 hits in his last 15 at-bats, is on a five-game hitting streak, and hitting .300 over his past ten games.

So just when he's putting it together you test his confidence at a higher level? I'd like to let him get his season BA over .250 or so before moving him. If he stays relatively hot, that shouldn't take too long. If he does that, then I'd agree that he has paid his dues and is ready to come here.

camisadelgolf
04-30-2009, 03:28 PM
So just when he's putting it together you test his confidence at a higher level? I'd like to let him get his season BA over .250 or so before moving him. If he stays relatively hot, that shouldn't take too long. If he does that, then I'd agree that he has paid his dues and is ready to come here.
He's 25 years old and already succeeded at AA for all of 2008--I just don't think he has anything left to prove there.

lidspinner
05-03-2009, 10:21 AM
He's 25 years old and already succeeded at AA for all of 2008--I just don't think he has anything left to prove there.

I gotta gree....you can do more negative stuff to a players physche than good by allowing him to become placent at 1 level. These guys go out there everyday with 1 goal in mind and that is to keep on moving up the ladder. Sometimes a player gets stuck in the turnstile because of over crowding but I just dont see that as the case here. The guy did what he needed to do last year, I see no reason to make him prove it again, stalls his growth if you ask me.