PDA

View Full Version : I am glad about for one thing

flyer85
04-28-2009, 11:51 PM
That the Reds didn't deal for the Coors field Mirage known as Holliday(although his splits showed that he was likely to be very average if he didn't get 81 games a year at Coors) ... the Reds only got stuck with a guy that couldn't hit even in Colorado.

Benihana
04-29-2009, 12:08 AM
That the Reds didn't deal for the Coors field Mirage known as Holliday(although his splits showed that he was likely to be very average if he didn't get 81 games a year at Coors) ... the Reds only got stuck with a guy that couldn't hit even in Colorado.

I'd still take Holliday right now if he could be had on the cheap. I'd offer Stubbs and any pitcher in the minors. With Matt Holliday in LF, this team is a playoff team IMO.

flyer85
04-29-2009, 12:12 AM
I'd still take Holliday right now if he could be had on the cheap. I'd offer Stubbs and any pitcher in the minors. With Matt Holliday in LF, this team is a playoff team IMO.I guess you are in the Peter Gammons camp

Holliday had an OPS 250 points higher in Coors than any other park in the majors but I don't think that is the problem

Good thought Peter ... just meaningless numbers.

traderumor
04-29-2009, 10:40 AM
GM axioms that should work most of the time is "do not pay for Coors field numbers or Pro Players and Petco Park ERAs."

Vada Pinson Fan
05-01-2009, 05:46 PM
I'd take a chance on Holiday if Oakland were to tire of him. Great American Ball Park could, in some ways, remind Holliday of Coors, easy HR's and prosper here. I would think Oakland would want more than Stubbs and any one Reds minor league pitcher for him. Possibly 3 minor leaguers would do it. Let's say 2 AAA players and a double A might work. Or would they take Encarnacion in lieu of the double A player?

The Reds seemingly need to get a marquee player that's worth his salt and keep the Reds in contention. Otherwise with this economy it's poor attendance at Great American in 2009 I'm afraid.

Degenerate39
05-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Great American Ball Park is a hitter's park too. It's not like Coors is the only park that helps hitters

Big Klu
05-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Just Say No to Matt Holliday!

*BaseClogger*
05-03-2009, 05:04 PM
I think Josh Willingham would be just as good of a fit for the Reds as Matt Holliday...

KoryMac5
05-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Since the humidor came into play Coors isn't even close to what it used to be like during the days of Bichette, Walker, and Castilla.

HokieRed
05-03-2009, 06:12 PM
GM axioms that should work most of the time is "do not pay for Coors field numbers or Pro Players and Petco Park ERAs."

Should GABP numbers (particularly HR's) be on this list. How much do we overvalue some GABP hitters? (Thereby failing to understand their real value.)

Topcat
05-03-2009, 11:40 PM
I think Josh Willingham would be just as good of a fit for the Reds as Matt Holliday...

Ya know I would take a flier on him to as price tag is far more reasonable, that and I am tired of the trade Stubbs babble that infests Redszone.

cincinnati chili
05-04-2009, 03:19 AM
I'm in the camp of people who think Holliday will work this out and be on a .900 OPS pace from May through the end of the season. What the Reds should give up for him is a separate question. I'm not a Stubbs believer, so if he's he cornerstone of a deal to get him, I'd say absolutely. I can't imagine that there aren't better offers out there for the A's.