PDA

View Full Version : Some Sad Numbers For Cincinnati Baseball

Edskin
04-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Watching the game last night, I found myself rather bored. I wasn't mad, frustrated, etc... just bored. I wasn't bored because of our style of play (I couldn't care less HOW we play, as long as we win), but I was just flat-out bored. I found myself switching over to the NBA playoffs for longer durations during our game.

One time when I flipped back to the Reds in the middle innings, I noticed something that I'd noticed hundreds of times before, but for some reason it REALLY struck me last night:

There was NO ONE there. Virtually empty. It was empty, silent, and the few people they showed in the stands looked bored to tears. As far as I can tell, the weather wasn't a problem last night-- people just don't care.

I decided to see if this was common throughout the league, or Cincy specific.

Here are the numbers from last night:

Announced attendance of 9,878 which is 23% capacity for GABP.

The Reds had the WORST attendence numbers in all of baseball last night-- in both sheer numbers and % capacity. Yes, places like KC, Texas, and Baltimore drew more fans. Other places like Minnesota and Colorado at least doubled the attendence numbers. And of course, the more competitive teams did much better.

It's just sad. Baseball is dead in Cincinnati. No one cares. Redszone is NOT a good reflection of interest-- the people here represent a loud minority of die-hards that will watch, show up, and care until the day they die.

As one of those die-hards, I'm not entirely discouraged from a baseball standpoint right now. I like the young arms, I love Votto and Bruce, and I trust Jocketty to slowly mold the team. But I think most people are sick of hearing about it and have completely lost interest.

Less than 10,000 people on a clear night for a major league baseball game in Cincinnati? Ouch. Kinda depressing.

Homer Bailey
04-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Let me ask you this. Are you really surprised? A bad team got worse this offseason, and the economy obviously is going to take its toll this year. The casual fan wants the excitement of a high octane offense, but we spend our money on the Willy Taveras's and Jerry Hairstons of the world.

Now to be honest, I could care less about the casual fan, and about high octane offenses as long as we are winning, but like you said, RZ'ers represent such a small amount of the fan base.

westofyou
04-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Attendance eh? Why haven't we touched on that?

Chip R
04-29-2009, 11:10 AM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75246