PDA

View Full Version : Yonder Alonso tearing it up at Sarasota over the last 10 days.

Kingspoint
04-29-2009, 05:35 PM
Since I have no idea what happened to the minor league threads about players and there's no sticky to say what happened to them, I'm starting this thread to talk about Alonso, as I can't find another one that mentions specifically him.

He's currently tearing it up in the clutch at-bat situation in Sarasota.

16 RBI's in his last 10 games!!!

You have to put that in perspective, because it's not like he's seeing great pitches with the struggling Neftali Soto hitting behind him (2 RBI's in his last 10 games), and Alex Buchholz hitting, but not knocking in any runs batting ahead of him (4 RBI's in his last 10 games).

Alonso is also Slugging .794 in his last 10 games.

xavr1
04-29-2009, 05:37 PM
No question he is a crazy talent. My question is and always has been: where do you put him?? Votto does NOT want to move. I know its not his choice, but something has to give.

jmac
04-29-2009, 05:39 PM
No question he is a crazy talent. My question is and always has been: where do you put him?? Votto does NOT want to move. I know its not his choice, but something has to give.

Has Joey actually said that. Since he has played some LF for Reds before.
You may be right but I was just curious if Joey said it himself.

Bumstead
04-29-2009, 05:51 PM
I have never heard that either. Alonso can only play 1B, so when he is ready, Votto will move...because he can!

Bum

Grande Donkey
04-29-2009, 06:05 PM
I'd hardly describe batting .227 for the year as "tearing it up."

Kingspoint
04-29-2009, 06:11 PM

Boy, did you miss the point of the thread.

In what world does a Slugging percentage of .794 and 16 RBI's over the last 10 games not constitue using the words "tearing it up" to describe someone. For what it's worth, he also has an OBP of .400 over his last 10 games.

Eric_the_Red
04-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Wake me up when he does it over a full season at AAA.

Grande Donkey
04-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Boy, did you miss the point of the thread.

In what world does a Slugging percentage of .794 and 16 RBI's over the last 10 games not constitue using the words "tearing it up" to describe someone. For what it's worth, he also has an OBP of .400 over his last 10 games.
He's been hitting the ball hard lately but he still isn't hitting for a great average. All I'm saying. Also didn't pay attention to the "last 10 days" part.

Kingspoint
04-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Wake me up when he does it over a full season at AAA.

He'll never spend more than half a season at AAA.

Kingspoint
04-29-2009, 06:29 PM

Average has never done much for me. (BTW, he's hitting .294 over his last 10 games.)

For example, Jacob Kahaulelio is second on the team in average over his last 10 games at .276 and has ZERO RBI's with only 5 runs to show for it. It's not whether or not your hit falls in or not, but when you hit it and whether or not runs are produced as a result of your hits.

When Justin Reed gets on, Alonso's knocking him in.

....and, Votto will do what he's told. He has a long way to go before he's an unrestricted Free Agent.

DTCromer
04-29-2009, 10:31 PM

Tell Votto to STFU and move. He has more athleticism than Yonder and if he lives up to the billing, Yonder will end up being a better hitter than Votto and our offense will end up being world's better with both in the lineup.

Shawn_RedsFan
04-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Yonder is not ready to be with the Major League Club atm so lets not even worry about this right now.

Votto is our best hitter right now, but we have people like DT wanting people to "tell Votto to STFU and move". WOW...

xavr1
04-29-2009, 10:45 PM
I seem to recall that Votto said during an interview at RedsFest that he doesnt have any interest in moving but would always do whatever the team need.

Kingspoint
04-29-2009, 10:53 PM
I seem to recall that Votto said during an interview at RedsFest that he doesnt have any interest in moving but would always do whatever the team need.

He seems like that kind of a guy.

corwinator3407
04-30-2009, 12:24 AM

I agree.
But I also agree I wanna see what Alonso does in AAA.

Captain Hook
04-30-2009, 12:56 AM
FYI you can always find updates on all minor league teams and players by clicking right below the Sun Deck where it says minor league talk(good stuff there)

Its nice to see Yonder doing well.If he keeps it up for 10 more games he should be promoted.Probably to AAA just to see if he can make the adjustments needed to hit far better pitching.If he could prove that he can hit the pitchers at that level then we could see him this year in a Reds uniform this year.

That being said I for 1 hate the idea of moving Votto to the OF mid season. So where does he play? I think he would have to back Joey up this season and get as many pinch hit ABs as possible.If he tears it up in that role then you consider moving Votto to the OF.

I for one wouldn't be opposed to trading Alfonso at that point for a All Star caliber out fielder with a good contract that would be a part of the team for many years to come.I'd also take a young pitching prospect along the lines of what Volquez was when we got him.The bottom line is that we don't need a first baseman.

CySeymour
04-30-2009, 01:03 PM
The one thing the team has at this point is a little bit of time before they have to decide. Alonso's minor league career is just starting, so he probably wouldn't be ready for the bigs until the last half of 2010 at the soonest, and probably more likely the beginning of 2011. So, the team has some time. And in that time, anything could happen. One of them could have a serious injury that solves the issue.

Most likely, one of them gets traded to fill a need. I think with this team starting to stress defense, putting one of them out of position probably won't be the answer.

PhillipsHead
04-30-2009, 01:07 PM
One way or another, management is going to have to justify drafting a 1B in the 1st round, when we had an up and commer in the wings...

CySeymour
04-30-2009, 01:48 PM
One way or another, management is going to have to justify drafting a 1B in the 1st round, when we had an up and commer in the wings...

Well, if they thought he was the best player available, then there is your answer. First round, you take the best player...pure and simple. Like I said, you never know at the time what might happen. Votto could tear up a knee, or the league could suddenly figure him out and he stops hitting. There is plenty of time for it to sort it self out.

schmidty622
04-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Swap Yonder and some spects for Han Ram when the Marlins have their Bi-Annual player sale!

Captain Hook
04-30-2009, 04:42 PM
The one thing the team has at this point is a little bit of time before they have to decide. Alonso's minor league career is just starting, so he probably wouldn't be ready for the bigs until the last half of 2010 at the soonest, and probably more likely the beginning of 2011. So, the team has some time. And in that time, anything could happen. One of them could have a serious injury that solves the issue.

Most likely, one of them gets traded to fill a need. I think with this team starting to stress defense, putting one of them out of position probably won't be the answer.

You might be right about how long it could take for Yonder to make it up to the big league team.The fact that he is on the 40 man roster and the amount of money he is being paid would tell me otherwise.

Red in Atl
04-30-2009, 04:49 PM

He may be that kind of guy, but for some reason I just don't see him being that good in LF. I like him at first and in the infield. And I would rather have Bruce and Votto around for 10 years vs. Yonder.

I have to admit I don't know much about Yonder, but I always felt like he was the kind of guy you draft and use as trade bait when he's ready to break into the majors. I can't imagine him being in Cincy, especially with his relationship with ARod. He just seems like he's already been exposed to the kind of world that doesn't happen in Cincy.

But what do I know.

cbowen2112
04-30-2009, 06:52 PM
So does Alonso not have any kind of arm to play other positions? Seems like he could play some 3B if he has an arm, not sure though.

Red in Atl
05-01-2009, 10:32 AM
So does Alonso not have any kind of arm to play other positions? Seems like he could play some 3B if he has an arm, not sure though.

From what I've read, he is a one position guy. Doesn't meant they can't try him at another. Just means from a scouting perspective, he's the kind of guy that will probably stay at first.

bounty37h
05-01-2009, 10:33 AM
He may be that kind of guy, but for some reason I just don't see him being that good in LF. I like him at first and in the infield. And I would rather have Bruce and Votto around for 10 years vs. Yonder.

I have to admit I don't know much about Yonder, but I always felt like he was the kind of guy you draft and use as trade bait when he's ready to break into the majors. I can't imagine him being in Cincy, especially with his relationship with ARod. He just seems like he's already been exposed to the kind of world that doesn't happen in Cincy.

But what do I know.

^I have to agree, I have had those concerns for him too.

Kingspoint
05-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Make that 22 RBI's over his last 16 games.

roby
05-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Swap Yonder and some spects for Han Ram when the Marlins have their Bi-Annual player sale!

This I completely agree with. If the Reds could acquire Hanley Ramirez, and Votto and Bruce keep going forward, they would be unstoppable.

WILD THING
05-08-2009, 01:43 PM
^^ Do you think we'd be willing to spend the money to keep this together for more than just a season or two once they're not so young and cheap?

RedLakerFan24
05-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Just Move him to 3B, and get EE out

Newman4
05-08-2009, 01:47 PM

I think it would take a lot more to get Ramirez but it is a good idea.

traderumor
05-08-2009, 02:38 PM
If you can hit, they'll find a place to play you. I'm not real worried about duplication since it amounts to having an up and coming 1b in high A when we have Ramon Hernandez as our backup 1b in the Show.

membengal
05-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Bumping up.

As we approach the end of May, he's got this going:

158 ABs .291/.370/.506 OPS .876 7 HR (37 rbi) 13 doubles 20 R 21 BBs 25 Ks

My understanding from this board is that Sarasota is a pitching friendly league, and that OPSing where Alonso is currently is nothing to be sneezed at. For comparisons sake, Votto at Sarasota went:

.256/.330/.425 for a .755 OPS (17 homeruns in 529 at-bats)

The upshot is, Alonso appears to be, in my mind, absolutely meeting lofty expectations, and that the early returns are that Reds drafted well and have a real asset coming.

camisadelgolf
05-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Good summary, membengal. It looks like the Reds have something very special in their wings. It will be very, very interesting to see how it affects the situation with Votto.

CTA513
05-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Bumping up.

As we approach the end of May, he's got this going:

My understanding from this board is that Sarasota is a pitching friendly league, and that OPSing where Alonso is currently is nothing to be sneezed at. For comparisons sake, Votto at Sarasota went:

The upshot is, Alonso appears to be, in my mind, absolutely meeting lofty expectations, and that the early returns are that Reds drafted well and have a real asset coming.

Is that the season for Votto in which the Reds told guys in the minors to take the first pitch?

Just wondering because I can't remember what year it was.

camisadelgolf
05-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Is that the season for Votto in which the Reds told guys in the minors to take the first pitch?

Just wondering because I can't remember what year it was.
Yeah, that was the same year.

membengal
05-29-2009, 02:39 PM
I do think that it is about that time to give Alonso AA at-bats. Maybe a week or two and he is moving up.