PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe I'm the one bringing this up, but...

Benihana
04-29-2009, 07:49 PM
The Reds have a severe offensive void in LF.

Barry Bonds refuses to retire, and will reportedly sign for the league minimum.

Do these two statements have any relevance to each other? Should they?
Discuss.

Degenerate39
04-29-2009, 07:50 PM
I'd do it. What would it hurt?

Hap
04-29-2009, 07:54 PM
http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/g/george-strait/album-ocean-front-property.jpg

I got some ocean front property in Arizona.
From my front porch you can see the sea.
I got some ocean front property in Arizona.
If you'll buy that, I'll throw the golden gate in free.

GAC
04-29-2009, 07:54 PM
LOL

Playadlc
04-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Sign him if you think he will help.

I am sick of losing.

Edskin
04-29-2009, 08:09 PM
You sign Barry Bonds if you are on the verge of something big and another power bat might help push you over the top. There are about 2-3 teams in MLB where I think that move would make sense.

Cincinnati is not one of them.

kaldaniels
04-29-2009, 08:12 PM
You sign Barry Bonds if you are on the verge of something big and another power bat might help push you over the top. There are about 2-3 teams in MLB where I think that move would make sense.

Cincinnati is not one of them.

If he would improve the club (if you think he wouldn't say so...but you do say he is a power bat) why would it be a bad idea to give it a try at the league minimum.

kbrake
04-29-2009, 08:18 PM
At this point, I'm all for it.

Chip R
04-29-2009, 08:22 PM
When did the NL adopt the DH?

Joseph
04-29-2009, 08:27 PM
When did the NL adopt the DH?

Will he be any worse than Dickerson the other night.

Chip R
04-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Will he be any worse than Dickerson the other night.

He would make us yearn for the halcyon days of Dickerson and Hairston. He wil make Dunn look like a Gold Glover. Anything hit 3 feet to the right or left of him is going to the wall. Forget about him running in to make diving catches. This isn't the Bonds of 20 years ago, 10 years ago or 5 years ago.

Edskin
04-29-2009, 08:51 PM
If he would improve the club (if you think he wouldn't say so...but you do say he is a power bat) why would it be a bad idea to give it a try at the league minimum.

Risk-reward is not there. You will create a media circus for a guy that most likely can't play anymore--if he can play, he is only capable of doing one thing well. He is a major weakness in all areas outside of power/OBP--and it's not like it's a given he'll produce in those areas anymore either.

It's a bad decision and time wasted for any team that does not have legit WS hopes.

CaiGuy
04-29-2009, 09:16 PM
It would make for an interesting PR move...

fearofpopvol1
04-29-2009, 10:01 PM
could you imagine Barry hitting in between Votto and Bruce? Bonds OBP ain't to shabby.

i'm not a barry fan, but if you want this team to instantly become better, it'd be hard to argue signing him (for league minimum). he's not a long term answer, but for now? he would help give the reds a BETTER chance.

reds44
04-29-2009, 10:11 PM
I have our solution to the LF problem:

http://www.battingstanceguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/t1_kearns.jpg

Nationals | Shopping Kearns?
Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:20:26 -0700

George A. King III, of the New York Post, reports the Washington Nationals are said to be shopping OF Austin Kearns.

Ears. Wouldn't downgrade the defense, and would certainly upgrade the offense.

*BaseClogger*
04-29-2009, 10:14 PM
I'd rather just go with my main man, Laynce Nix...

reds44
04-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Well the Reds aren't going to make a move until June at the earliest anyways, so Nix is going to get plenty of ABs in LF.

Chip R
04-29-2009, 10:43 PM
could you imagine Barry hitting in between Votto and Bruce? Bonds OBP ain't to shabby.

No because I can't imagine Dusty batting 3 lefties in a row even if they were Williams, Ruth and Jr. in their primes.

WVPacman
04-30-2009, 12:04 AM
I'd rather just go with my main man, Laynce Nix...

Now you are talking!! smartest post of this topic.I mean who would want a 50 year old steroid user that can't play no more.:D

Nix in left and Rosales at third!!!:beerme:

WMR
04-30-2009, 12:11 AM
He would make us yearn for the halcyon days of Dickerson and Hairston. He wil make Dunn look like a Gold Glover. Anything hit 3 feet to the right or left of him is going to the wall. Forget about him running in to make diving catches. This isn't the Bonds of 20 years ago, 10 years ago or 5 years ago.

Bonds to first, Votto to LF.

:D

WMR
04-30-2009, 12:12 AM
Now you are talking!! smartest post of this topic.I mean who would want a 50 year old steroid user that can't play no more.:D

Nix in left and Rosales at third!!!:beerme:

Part of me would LOVE to find out if he can still hit a baseball.

Considering some of the characters currently getting ABs for the Redlegs, they certainly wouldn't be wasted on giving Bonds a run.

WVPacman
04-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Part of me would LOVE to find out if he can still hit a baseball.

Considering some of the characters currently getting ABs for the Redlegs, they certainly wouldn't be wasted on giving Bonds a run.

Yeah I to wonder sometimes if he can still hit the ball or not and maybe he can what do I know.I would like to find out but I don't want to find out with him in a Reds uniform.I would'nt mind to see him play for the reds back in the day when he played for the Bucs but right now its like a circus with him and were ever he goes.He would be a major distraction for the reds imo!

RichRed
04-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Don't know if it's a good idea on the field but I bet it would get those weekday attendance numbers up.

Chip R
04-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Don't know if it's a good idea on the field but I bet it would get those weekday attendance numbers up.

Sideshows usually do.

westofyou
04-30-2009, 09:59 AM

8 million a year..pass

As for Bonds, he was on the Giants booth the other night, he has not retired, he's taking swings..but he also said he could not play if asked to today.

The ship has sailed, he's in Rickey Henderson territory now, reluctant ex-ballplayer.

SirFelixCat
04-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Layne Nix is showing some pop...he's an in house option, I dont' see why we'd need to go somewhere else :shrug:

Scrap Irony
04-30-2009, 10:06 AM
It'd be fun to see, yet likely extremely painful as well. What would be more fun is seeing Bonds play a couple weeks in AAA. This those half-day bus rides would be okay with Senior Swat?

cincrazy
04-30-2009, 10:15 AM

I honestly don't think he could provide all that much more offense than Jerry Hairston Jr. at this point... His career has been a straight downhill slide.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Dickerson is better than Kearns and makes 5% as much.

Dickerson will be fine folks. Maybe he should be platooning with Gomes in LF with Nix gettiing some starts in CF (until he cools off).

OnBaseMachine
04-30-2009, 11:33 AM

Kearns? If he can be had cheaply, I'd take him. Kearns is currently hitting .240/.397/.520 - .917. He's OPSing .917 despite his .250 BABIP. Kearns is also a great defender. Again, if he can be had for very little, I'd love to see Walt pick him up.

red-in-la
04-30-2009, 12:46 PM
It's rumored that the Nats are looking for some AAA LH relief help.....;)

Scrap Irony
04-30-2009, 01:03 PM
I wish Cincinnati could somehow pick up Gary Majewski, if only for one day so that he could then be dealt for Kearns.

HokieRed
04-30-2009, 01:17 PM
I wish Cincinnati could somehow pick up Gary Majewski, if only for one day so that he could then be dealt for Kearns.

Maybe we could then send Kearns to Minnesota for the guy who continues to be the best player involved in the "trade": Brendan Harris, currently .350/.372/.475/.847.

TRF
04-30-2009, 01:42 PM
I honestly don't think he could provide all that much more offense than Jerry Hairston Jr. at this point... His career has been a straight downhill slide.

Ears this year: .240 .397 .520 .917

JHJ couldn't slug .520 if his life depended on it.

Chip R
04-30-2009, 01:44 PM

Yeah, but he's our good luck charm.

reds44
04-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Dickerson is better than Kearns and makes 5% as much.

Dickerson will be fine folks. Maybe he should be platooning with Gomes in LF with Nix gettiing some starts in CF (until he cools off).
Dickerson is better than Kearns? Wut?

Minor leagues:
Kearns: .292/.395/.513/.908
Dickerson: .263/.363/.415/.778

Kearns' career line in the majors is .260/.354/.436/.790. Unless you expect Dickerson to outproduce his minor league numbers in the majors (I don't), I don't see how you can say he is better than Kearns.

Now if you don't want Kearns because of his contract, that's fine.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Dickerson is better than Kearns? Wut?

Minor leagues:
Kearns: .292/.395/.513/.908
Dickerson: .263/.363/.415/.778

Kearns' career line in the majors is .260/.354/.436/.790. Unless you expect Dickerson to outproduce his minor league numbers in the majors (I don't), I don't see how you can say he is better than Kearns.

Now if you don't want Kearns because of his contract, that's fine.

I don't care what Kearns did 5 years ago or 10 years ago in the minors. He's playing well so far this year, but you cannot discount how poorly he hit in 2007 (.765) and 2008 (.627).

By the same token, I'm not sure what Dickerson's OPS in 2004 and 2005 has to do with his game TODAY. He was a late bloomer and it's no secret that he took his game to another level the last couple years. IMO, Kearns has peaked and is slowing down and Dickerson is on the rise. Plus, I would bet he's got much more range than Kearns out there. I'm sure Kearns has the better arm, but I'm not as worried with that in LF as long as you can cover ground, which Dickerson can.

I just like Dickerson's all-around game better than Kearns. I don't think that's so outrageous to warrant the "wut".

_Sir_Charles_
04-30-2009, 05:04 PM
The day the Reds sign Bonds is the day I reconsider who my favorite team is. I've been a Reds fan since 1973 and putting Bonds in a Reds uniform would forever alter the way I look at the team...in a VERY bad way.

A HUGE pass from me. (Same for Kearns btw)

For now, I'd be willing to deal with Dickerson/Hairston (and some Nix/McDonald as well) in left. Simply because I think that they are now playing the worst that they're capable of playing. It WILL get better. Chris had a bad stretch with the glove but we all know he's a MUCH more capable defender than he's shown the past 2 weeks. His bat will also improve. It's a slump folks...they DO happen from time to time. Same goes for Jerry. I know the majority of people here have automatically assumed that last season was a huge mirage and that he'll be a big bag of suckitude this year. I disagree. He's adequate with the glove at MANY positions (including LF). His bat is much better than what he's shown so far as well. Is it as good as we saw last year...probably not over the long haul, but come on guys...he's NOT a .180 hitter (or whatever he's sitting at now).

When a hitter is in a slump (and we've got more than a few in them right now) they press and try to force the issue and they end up looking VERY bad at the plate. I know many are frustrated, but come on, a little bit of sence and you know that these guys are NOT THIS bad. Brandon's already turning it around. Ramon is already turning it around. Bruce appears to have turned the corner too. Give the guys some time. Complain all you want, but considering how many guys we've had in slumps so far, this club is STILL above .500. And to me, that bodes VERY well for the rest of the season.

WAAAAAAAAAY too early for desperation signings.

OnBaseMachine
04-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Same goes for Jerry. I know the majority of people here have automatically assumed that last season was a huge mirage and that he'll be a big bag of suckitude this year. I disagree. He's adequate with the glove at MANY positions (including LF). His bat is much better than what he's shown so far as well. Is it as good as we saw last year...probably not over the long haul, but come on guys...he's NOT a .180 hitter (or whatever he's sitting at now).

No, he's not a .180 hitter, but he is a sub .700 OPS hitter. Jerry Hairston Jr. has proven he can't hit at the major league level. It was a foolish move on the Reds part to count on him to repeat his 2008 season.

nate
04-30-2009, 06:14 PM
No, he's not a .180 hitter, but he is a sub .700 OPS hitter. Jerry Hairston Jr. has proven he can't hit at the major league level. It was a foolish move on the Reds part to count on him to repeat his 2008 season.

I don't mind him as a 25th men. But his career numbers are more the norm than 2008.

_Sir_Charles_
04-30-2009, 06:34 PM

Sorry. I'm not buying this. Not one bit. Firstly, I don't think the Reds are "counting" on him repeating 2008. I think they're "counting" on him contributing and being a versitile player off the bench with the occasional start (possibly platoon). Secondly, I don't buy the "proven he can't hit at the MLB level" either. 2002-2005 he put up "decent" numbers. I'd say it's proven he can't hit for power. That I'd buy. But it's not like he's power-less either. He'll hit the occasional dinger and hit 20 or so doubles if given time. I've got no problem with a guy who hits for a decent average, plays a wide variety of positions moderately well and has the speed to steal some bases. That's a type of player that just about every team needs during the season. As long as we're not depending upon him to the 162 game starter in left...he's perfectly fine. But he's still slumping. Not every player has to hit for power to be effective.

cincrazy
04-30-2009, 06:53 PM

True. I exaggerated a tad, but Kearns has been downright dreadful for a while now. He's off to a decent start this year, but I still wouldn't bother taking a chance on him.

*BaseClogger*
04-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Sorry. I'm not buying this. Not one bit. Firstly, I don't think the Reds are "counting" on him repeating 2008. I think they're "counting" on him contributing and being a versitile player off the bench with the occasional start (possibly platoon).

Clearly, he has been counted on as the RH side of the LF platoon...

Caveat Emperor
04-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Sideshows usually do.

Think of it this way:

Season tickets in the Moon Deck could pay for themselves. Every HR he hits has the potential to be the "record-breaking" ball if he never hits another one again after that one.

11larkin11
05-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Maybe we could then send Kearns to Minnesota for the guy who continues to be the best player involved in the "trade": Brendan Harris, currently .350/.372/.475/.847.

Every year after the trade, Harris has started out crazy but then died off the rest of the year.

BearcatShane
05-01-2009, 12:46 AM
I'm not one of those guys that gets too worked up about the steroid era and the players that played in it, but, I would have a hard time rooting for Barry Bonds in a Reds uniform. Idk, it would just kind of put a black cloud over the team in my opinion. And yes, I do root for Jerry Hairston Jr. And the Reds have a good nucleus, would you really want Bruce, Votto and everyone else around Barry Bonds? I would certainly think not. If given the opportunity, I think Laynce Nix can be a very solid left fielder for the Cincinnati Reds.

mth123
05-01-2009, 03:04 AM
I'm not one of those guys that gets too worked up about the steroid era and the players that played in it, but, I would have a hard time rooting for Barry Bonds in a Reds uniform. Idk, it would just kind of put a black cloud over the team in my opinion. And yes, I do root for Jerry Hairston Jr. And the Reds have a good nucleus, would you really want Bruce, Votto and everyone else around Barry Bonds? I would certainly think not. If given the opportunity, I think Laynce Nix can be a very solid left fielder for the Cincinnati Reds.

Hairston was one of the players named in the Mitchell report on steroids. Seems funny to "have a hard time rooting for Barry Bonds" and then turn around and say "I do root for Jerry Hairston Jr."

REDREAD
05-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Kearns? If he can be had cheaply, I'd take him. Kearns is currently hitting .240/.397/.520 - .917. He's OPSing .917 despite his .250 BABIP. Kearns is also a great defender. Again, if he can be had for very little, I'd love to see Walt pick him up.

I agree. If I understand correctly, he's on the last year of his contract too. No long term commitment or possible haunting in the future years...

If the finances can be worked out, why not?

_Sir_Charles_
05-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Hairston was one of the players named in the Mitchell report on steroids. Seems funny to "have a hard time rooting for Barry Bonds" and then turn around and say "I do root for Jerry Hairston Jr."

I know this wasn't directed at me, but just to be clear...I don't hate Bonds due to the steroid stuff (although that adds fuel to the fire). It's just because he's a very unlikable guy. I just can't stand him.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-01-2009, 11:23 AM
The more I look at it, the more I'm okay with Kearns as long as he can prove that he's back to posting decent offensive numbers. I need to see him continue to hit for the next 6-8 weeks.

The only other two RH bats I like (as far as 2010 FA's) are Jermaine Dye and Matt Holliday.

-Jermaine Dye * CWS ....$11.5M, 2010:$12M mutual option ($1M buyout) ...doing well so far in '09.

-Austin Kearns * WAS ....$8M, 2010:$10M club option ($1M buyout)....Had a fine first month (.903 OPS), but struggled in 2007 and 2008. Can he regain his pre Ray King offensive production?

-Matt Holliday OAK ....$13.5M....Struggling a bit so far in Oakland (.648 OPS).

westofyou
05-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Can he regain his pre Ray King offensive production?

That occurred in 2003, if he hasn't done in the past 5 seasons I doubt it, because even Ray King wasn't fat enough to hurt him for that long.

TRF
05-01-2009, 11:28 AM
That occurred in 2003, if he hasn't done in the past 5 seasons I doubt it, because even Ray King wasn't fat enough to hurt him for that long.

Shoulder injuries sap power something fierce. That and I think he's a headcase. I really don't think his best performance as a Nat happening as he is reunited with Dunn is a coincidence.

He's a whack job, talented, but a whack job nonetheless.

westofyou
05-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Shoulder injuries sap power something fierce.

Yet at the end of this season he will have cleared 20 million in salary since it happened, he's not whack he's average.

StillFunkyB
05-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Yet at the end of this season he will have cleared 20 million in salary since it happened, he's not whack he's average.

I gotta agree with WOY here.

I liked AK alot, but never thought he would be a superstar.

Now, if the Nat's pickup a large chunk of his salary I wouldn't mind.

Not for 8 mil though.

mth123
05-02-2009, 03:14 AM
The more I look at it, the more I'm okay with Kearns as long as he can prove that he's back to posting decent offensive numbers. I need to see him continue to hit for the next 6-8 weeks.

The only other two RH bats I like (as far as 2010 FA's) are Jermaine Dye and Matt Holliday.

-Jermaine Dye * CWS ....$11.5M, 2010:$12M mutual option ($1M buyout) ...doing well so far in '09.

-Austin Kearns * WAS ....$8M, 2010:$10M club option ($1M buyout)....Had a fine first month (.903 OPS), but struggled in 2007 and 2008. Can he regain his pre Ray King offensive production?

-Matt Holliday OAK ....$13.5M....Struggling a bit so far in Oakland (.648 OPS).

Kearns could be a big improvement for little. I'd guess the Reds could acquire him for little talent and may be able to unload one of their own mistakes (Hairston? Lincoln?) in the process. I'd deal Lincoln and a minor league pitcher of limited potential (Maloney? Lecure? Ramirez?). I'd think the Nats would jump at that. If the Reds were willing to unload a better player they may be able to unload both Lincoln and Hairston in the deal and the dollar impact would be fairly minimal. Stubbs, Lincoln and Hairston for Kearns? Sign me up for either scenario.

Holiday and Dye would both probably require more talent. Probably Bailey in both cases. Roenicke and a position prospect or two as well in Holiday's case. I wouldn't give up Bailey personally unless the Reds got a long term player (preferably a SS) in the deal. When it comes to rental players, price is important and acquiring Kearns would probably cause far less pain and still provide huge improvement over the current RH OF options (though Wes Bankston gets more and more interesting).

reds44
05-02-2009, 03:24 AM
I don't care what Kearns did 5 years ago or 10 years ago in the minors. He's playing well so far this year, but you cannot discount how poorly he hit in 2007 (.765) and 2008 (.627).

By the same token, I'm not sure what Dickerson's OPS in 2004 and 2005 has to do with his game TODAY. He was a late bloomer and it's no secret that he took his game to another level the last couple years. IMO, Kearns has peaked and is slowing down and Dickerson is on the rise. Plus, I would bet he's got much more range than Kearns out there. I'm sure Kearns has the better arm, but I'm not as worried with that in LF as long as you can cover ground, which Dickerson can.

I just like Dickerson's all-around game better than Kearns. I don't think that's so outrageous to warrant the "wut".
You also can't discount what Kearns did his first time around in Cincinnati, or what Washington in general does to hitters. Look no farther than the other part of the trade, Felipe Lopez.

In 2007 and 2008 with Washington he posted .659 and .619 OPS respectively. He goes to the Cardinals at the end of last season and posted a .385/.426/.538 line in 156 ABs and so far in Arizona has posted a .318/.382/.518 line.

Kearns' career line with the Reds is .267/.358/.486, his BA/OB numbers with Washington aren't that different (.248/.351) but his slugging dropped to .393. You really think if you get Kearns back in GABP he'll slug below .400? I don't.

If the Reds were to trade for Kearns they won't downgrade defensively, but they will have found themself a RH power threat to bat between Votto and Bruce.

Scrap Irony
05-02-2009, 10:27 AM
But he's fragile between those oversized ears, IMO, and that's why you say no. If I'm dealing with Washington, give me Dukes or forget it. And I don't think they're giving him away at the present time.

westofyou
05-02-2009, 10:29 AM
You also can't discount what Kearns did his first time around in Cincinnati, or what Washington in general does to hitters.

yes you can, because he still hasn't regained it back and he's now playing in a new stadium so the stadium issue wrings false (it didn't hurt Dmitri young or Christian Guzman now did it?)

Time to move on, Austin Kearns is now Gary Redus and Dave Collins... and ex red.

cincrazy
05-02-2009, 10:53 AM
But he's fragile between those oversized ears, IMO, and that's why you say no. If I'm dealing with Washington, give me Dukes or forget it. And I don't think they're giving him away at the present time.

Some would say that Dukes is fragile between those ears too ;)