PDA

View Full Version : I'm happy where the Reds are at right now

BearcatShane
04-29-2009, 11:19 PM
I was very upset after the game last night. They just had a very successful road trip and then went 1-4 to start the homestand. But after thinking it over, the Reds faced a tough Mets team to open the season and had to play a ten game road trip in middle of the month and still managed to pull out a winning record for the month. It would have been nice to go 4-2 opposed to 2-4 on this homestand but to be 11-10 to start the month of May, well I think thats very nice. Does this team have holes? Heck yeah but I'd rather watch Votto, Bruce, Volquez, Cueto, Roseales, Hererra and Nix opposed to the options in years past. The Reds are building a young necleus that may be a bit boring to watch now, but once they click together, and they will, we as Reds fans will look back at these days as the start of something special. And I can't wait until Todd Frazier is ready, he can bat 4th and split up Bruce and Votto. This teams future is very bright.

Sea Ray
04-30-2009, 04:22 PM
It's encouraging that their weaknesses lie heavily on the offensive side. Hitters are much more easily acquired than pitching.

dfs
04-30-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm elated that this team is over 500.

DiamondRat
04-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Didn't Dusty say that he wanted to stay around 500 for awhile? Sounds like they are right at his master plan. :eek:

PuffyPig
04-30-2009, 07:55 PM
It's nice to know that as long as we get decent starting pitching 1-5 we can stay around .500 even without average hitting.

Hitting is much easier to obtain and if we get big years from Bruce and Votto, we just might be OK if Phillips and EE give us what they should.

cincrazy
04-30-2009, 07:58 PM
I remember a comment Jack McKeon made when he was manager. To paraphrase, he said if the Reds finish a few games over .500 every month, at the end of the season, that adds up. He wanted them to be around .500 or a few games better in April, and then continue to improve month by month little by little from there. It's a nice way of looking at things.

Reds1
04-30-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm pleased with Taverez too. Great defesne, perfect in SB and is hitting and walking a little. I don't think he has a bunt hit yet either so his OF istats are without many pesky IF hits. Kickerson and EE a bumer, but Rosales gets a shot and Lance Nix might be a nice player with Hairston and Dickerson can play some PT and take the pressure off. Pitching is nice and the pen has been great. We get the lead and we can bank it. It's not like the nasty boys, but it's a pretty darn good pen.

TheNext44
04-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Didn't Dusty say that he wanted to stay around 500 for awhile? Sounds like they are right at his master plan. :eek:

The key to that plan is picking up a slugger near the trading deadline. It seems like this team is one big bat away from being a serious contender.

Scrap Irony
04-30-2009, 11:01 PM
That's Jocketty's MO. Or at least it was as the Card GM.

edabbs44
04-30-2009, 11:44 PM
The key to that plan is picking up a slugger near the trading deadline. It seems like this team is one big bat away from being a serious contender.

Encarnacion: -.331 OPS from 2008 number
Phillips: -.142 OPS from 2008 number
Hernandez: -.067 OPS from 2008 number
Gonzalez: -.291 OPS from 2007 number

If the rest of the team keeps it up, they might not need that monster slugger since these guys will probably improve this season. The thing Cincy cannot do is hurt the future of this team just to try and get over the hump right this second. Build for the future. If they can add a rental bat for a middle of the road minor leaguer, then yes. But let's build around the core and look towards the future with any move that is made.

oregonred
05-01-2009, 12:27 AM
I have no doubt major offensive upgrades can be had cheap by midseason. In addition, GABP has such a hitters reputation (I think we are finding that is flawed as the Reds develop a real pitching staff for the first time since the mid-90s) that a lot of guys would welcome the possibility.

I think this staff will deliver a 4.00 ERA this season. Get used to a bunch of 3-2 and 2-1 type games that teams with real pitching staffs actually win once or twice a week.

Can they hang around the playoff edge until mid-season. I don't know, but I think the state of the franchise is better than we've seen in at least a decade.

BearcatShane
05-01-2009, 01:56 AM
If the Reds can play .500 or a few games over until June/July and they are still in either the Central or the Wild Card race, Walt Jocketty will make a move. Thats what he does. I'd rather have a team that can pitch and not hit than vice versa. I mean, if the Reds had a good cleanup hitter they might be a playoff team. I really do not see Joey Votto being moved to left field, Yonder Alonso could be a centerpiece to a trade for a big bat. (When is he eligible to be traded, a year after last years draft or a year after he signed the contract?) Anyways, in Walt I trust.

Ron Madden
05-01-2009, 05:23 AM
I'm thrilled to death that it's Baseball Season and I can follow the Reds day to day.

I'm not real happy about the offense, defense or being just one game over.500.

;)

GAC
05-01-2009, 06:22 AM
They finished April 11-10, one game above .500. How can that not exceed everyone's expectations?

April's MVP? The pitching overall. That is not overlooking the effort so far of one Joey Votto. But this pitching staff, for the most part, has kept us in games and given this anemic offense a chance to win it.

Our offense will improve. But IMO, it will still be below league average overall. So as long as the pitching holds up, we'll hover somewhere around .500. But rfs' observations over a year ago - concerning the '06 team's surprise performance, and that it was a type of "fool's gold" to the fans and especially this FO, that we were heading in the right direction - still linger in the back of my mind when I look at this '09 squad and if they are able to crest the .500 mark.

This organization is still guilty, IMO, of complementing our talent (especially the young) with BLAH!

oregonred
05-01-2009, 10:13 AM
If Jocketty was allowed he could make some midseason moves to position the club nicely for 2010 even if 2009 looks .500 at best. The allowed part is a big-if.

fisch11
05-01-2009, 11:31 AM
I am content with the way this team looks right now for a few reasons.
1.) The Reds are 8-1 when they get a quality start.
2.) Phillips, Gonzalez, Hernandez have yet to start hitting to the back of their bball cards.
3.) When the Reds have a lead (even a slim one) I can trust that the bullpen won't blow it.

The only thing I am unsatisfied with is the lack of improvement on defense thus far (error wise).

Ron Madden
05-02-2009, 05:29 AM
They finished April 11-10, one game above .500. How can that not exceed everyone's expectations?

An 11-10 record for April certainly exceeded my expectations.

But when I look back at the job done by the pitching staff during the month of April, I'm disappointed that the offense didn't help this team to more than 11 wins.

;)