PDA

View Full Version : Red's Radio Broadcasting Team

Strikes Out Looking
04-30-2009, 08:59 AM
I haven't found a thread here, so if I missed it I apologize in advance.

Last night, Marty was broadcasting with Louisville broadcaster Jim Kelch. What happened to Thom, Brantley and Mercker? Did Clear Channel figure out a way to lay them off as well?

Cyclone792
04-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Thom and Brantley were on FSN OH last night, same as Tuesday night, and both Grande and Welsh have had the last two nights off. I'm not sure about Monday night since I was at the game.

I haven't seen or heard from Mercker in awhile, but I thought he was only doing a handful of games this year anyway.

dabvu2498
04-30-2009, 09:14 AM
I haven't found a thread here, so if I missed it I apologize in advance. Last night, Marty was broadcasting with Louisville broadcaster Jim Kelch. What happened to Thom, Brantley and Mercker? Did Clear Channel figure out a way to lay them off as well? Reds broadcasters are hired by the Reds, not Clear Channel.

redsmetz
04-30-2009, 09:28 AM
I'll tell you, what I heard of the game, I really like Marty with Jim Kelch. Somehow Kelch keeps Brennaman in check and he seems less shrill. I've also heard that Brantley is better on TV.

You could do a drinking came and have to call cabs for everyone if you had to take a drink every time Brantley says "right down Broadway" in a game. Yikes!

Also, I also think that Mercker is only going to be sporadic on an "as needed" basis as the summer runs on.

Sea Ray
04-30-2009, 11:35 AM
I think Kelch is much better than Mercker. I don't know why they have to grab Kelch rather than work something out with someone like Chris Welsh who is already under contract but whatever

Big Klu
04-30-2009, 11:58 AM
I'll tell you, what I heard of the game, I really like Marty with Jim Kelch. Somehow Kelch keeps Brennaman in check and he seems less shrill. I've also heard that Brantley is better on TV.

I agree completely. I was unable to watch the game last night, but I was near a radio and listened to Marty and Jim for the entire game. Marty seems very upbeat when working with Jim--almost like he was with Joe. And Jim does an outstanding job. I could listen to him all night. I hope the Reds seriously consider him for a full-time position if Marty ever retires.

membengal
04-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Marty and Kelch were REALLY good last year together as well, in my opinion.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Brantley is solid as a color guy, but horrendous doing play by play.

George Anderson
04-30-2009, 01:08 PM
One nice thing about having the MLB radio package is you get to listen to others teams announcers and realize maybe the Reds announcers aren't really as great as some of us seem to think. Milo Hamilton of the Astros is outstanding IMO.

Sea Ray
04-30-2009, 04:03 PM
One nice thing about having the MLB radio package is you get to listen to others teams announcers and realize maybe the Reds announcers aren't really as great as some of us seem to think. Milo Hamilton of the Astros is outstanding IMO.

He sure is, but that's no secret seeing as he is in the Hall of Fame

westofyou
04-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Brantley is solid as a color guy, but horrendous doing play by play.

Brantley is painful all around, his "tough guy who knows it all" bravado has the depth of a Stephan Segall movie and the cache of a Jonas Brothers Jam fest.

In short.. when I hear his voice I reach for the dial.

The new guy and Marty together were quite good, I enjoyed it immensely.

wheels
04-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Brantley is painful all around, his "tough guy who knows it all" bravado has the depth of a Stephan Segall movie and the cache of a Jonas Brothers Jam fest.

I feel the same way. Exactly.

MartyFan
04-30-2009, 04:25 PM

I wish we had the old rating system for this post!!!! TOO FREAKING FUNNY and RIGHT DOWN BROADWAY, as making a point goes.:beerme:

The only time Marty got out of hand was when he was going on and on about the people tweeting some of his broadcast comments on Twitter...to follow, the twitter username is MartySays.

Jpup
04-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Brantley's gimmick is getting old.

GradyHatton
04-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Brantley is "flat out" unlistenable IMO.

Unassisted
04-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Brantley's gimmick is getting old.It's bigger than a gimmick, it's a schtick. Marty has one, too. And I agree that it's getting old.

In my version of a perfect day, Bob Castellini holds a news conference to announce that "the schtick stops now."

Mario-Rijo
04-30-2009, 05:55 PM
I don't mind Brantley but his PBP is pretty bad. I'd much rather listen to him than Grande. Kelch I also like he kind of has a traditional PBP approach, he just likes to talk the game of baseball it seems.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-30-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm not sure how often he does it, but Welsh did PBP the other night on the radio.

I enjoyed it as he called the game, instead of jabbering like everyone else does. It was old school. It might not be his thing, but he described everything that was going on as it happened and that's what I want.

Hoosier Red
04-30-2009, 06:00 PM

You could do a drinking came and have to call cabs for everyone if you had to take a drink every time Brantley says "right down Broadway" in a game. Yikes!

Also, I also think that Mercker is only going to be sporadic on an "as needed" basis as the summer runs on.

While I like Brantly more on TV, I have to admit he's growing on me.
It may be the Harry Careyesque "Right down Broadway...Ball one" but I can now deal with him much better than before.

redsfan1966
04-30-2009, 06:07 PM
I have enjoyed Jim Kelch the past few games----but I really like the chemistry that Marty and Jeff have on the radio. Jeff's PBP may be lacking (I dont mind his PBP, by the way)---but you can really tell that Marty and Jeff like working together. I think Mercker is only for emergency needs, and Chris Welsh apparently only wants to do a set number of games---being the reason Kelch is needed from time to time.

PS Thanks to all who have allowed me to part of the ORG....:)

Sea Ray
04-30-2009, 06:09 PM
I've always liked Brantley as an announcer and I'm glad he's here.

nate
04-30-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm still fine with George and Chris. I like Thom for PBP though. Brantley's just too...and I don't even know what this means...puffy.

WVRedsFan
05-01-2009, 02:39 AM
Kelch is a good announcer, but he doesn't go far enough. I noticed this week that Marty has to break in and explain things because Kelch jut doesn't "paint the picture" like a lot of announcers. I found that very good and maybe it was by design. I don't know.

Brantley is a former player, somewhat like Joe Nuxhall and I think he and Marty have great chemistry. Baseball announcing is entertainment. Any idiot can tell you what's happening, but it takes a personality to make it come to life. It's also wise to remember that we baseball geeks are not the only ones out there. Some people are casual fans who could care less about OBP, OPS and other statistical wonderments.

Chris Welsh does a fine job with PBP and should get more time on the radio, and I'll say this--George is a lot better when the Reds are winning than when they are losing. Nuff said.

Ron Madden
05-01-2009, 04:54 AM
Jeff Brantley is terrible calling play by play and awful as a color commentator.

I'd rather listen to anyone but Brantley.

When Marty and Jeff work together it sounds like a rebroadcast of "The Best Of The Bananna Phone".

(I luuuuve yoooou Marrrrty)

;)

Jpup
05-01-2009, 06:35 AM
I very, very seldom ever listen the Radio broadcast unless it's the last inning or so of a day game when I'm on the way to work, but Brantley's pbp is as bad as his color. He's terrible.

Out of the Reds broadcasters, Welsh is far and away the most enjoyable for me to listen to. Welsh and Thom on TV are pretty good considering.

I'm a big fan of Darren Sutton in Arizona. I watch a lot of Dbacks games just to listen to Sutton and Mark Grace. They are very entertaining while completely focusing on the game.

BoydsOfSummer
05-01-2009, 06:35 AM
The Lord of the Booth finds it hard when he has to respect the other guy sitting there.

I love it, it brings him back to a real professional level. Very listenable.

RANDY IN INDY
05-01-2009, 09:20 AM

I have listened often on MLB extra innings when the Reds play the Astros in Houston and have found Milo Hamilton to be an "obnoxious homer" and nearly un-listenable. Hall of Famer or not, he is not what I would want to listen to on a regular basis, if, at all.

cumberlandreds
05-01-2009, 09:29 AM
I have listened often on MLB extra innings when the Reds play the Astros in Houston and have found Milo Hamilton to be an "obnoxious homer" and nearly un-listenable. Hall of Famer or not, he is not what I would want to listen to on a regular basis, if, at all.

I agree with you. I have never liked him. He seems to always put himself above the game. I've read that he has an ego the size of Texas and is very hard to get along with.

redsmetz
05-01-2009, 09:35 AM
The irony is that when Marty is on, there's few better. But he at times now is getting cranky. It was clearly different with Jim Kelch in the booth and it was a really good balance, even with Marty running with the Twitter gag. Thom seems to keep Marty's moodiness in check, but Thom can get a little shrill once in a while too. I don't think Brantley is capable enough to keep Marty on game. Kelch might make a good replacement for Marty in the years to come, when that day arrives.

Ltlabner
05-01-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm still fine with George and Chris. I like Thom for PBP though. Brantley's just too...and I don't even know what this means...puffy.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ARibVKVt6sc/SLLKUhhxe3I/AAAAAAAAANY/VrFVeB02X-s/s320/puffy+shirt+(2).jpg

RANDY IN INDY
05-01-2009, 10:38 AM
I agree with you. I have never liked him. He seems to always put himself above the game. I've read that he has an ego the size of Texas and is very hard to get along with.

Go to this link, and see how a segment of Houston fans feel about Hamilton. The comments are toward the bottom of the page. Seems Gene Elston was the "voice of the Astros" and was pushed out by a friend of ours, Dick Wagner, and Milo Hamilton. Sounds like you are right on the money with the "ego the size of Texas" and "hard to get along with comments," Cumberlandreds.
http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2009/04/salute_to_milo_hamilton.html

westofyou
05-01-2009, 10:40 AM

Can't stand him

Unassisted
05-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Go to this link, and see how a segment of Houston fans feel about Hamilton. The comments are toward the bottom of the page. Seems Gene Elston was the "voice of the Astros" and was pushed out by a friend of ours, Dick Wagner, and Milo Hamilton. Sounds like you are right on the money with the "ego the size of Texas" and "hard to get along with comments," Cumberlandreds.
http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2009/04/salute_to_milo_hamilton.htmlThat was funny stuff. I listen to Milo once in a while, but I'll listen to him differently after reading all of that. :)

Nobody there mentioned his tendency to use nicknames. It always throws me to hear a PBP guy referring to "Miggy" and "Bidge."

George Anderson
05-01-2009, 11:40 AM

I have only listened to Milo a handful of times because I have MLB radio for the first time this year. You guys may be right, he may suck but in the few times I listened to him I liked him.

I just enjoy listening to MLB radio to other teams broadcasts and get their perspective of the Reds.

Strikes Out Looking
05-01-2009, 03:51 PM
I've listened to Milo Hamilton, he's a homer but no where in the league of Ron Santo or Mike Shannon.

I only get to listen to the Reds on XM at home, and my only wish was more consistency in the booth. Back in the day, you always knew it was Marty and Joe.

westofyou
05-01-2009, 03:57 PM
I've listened to Milo Hamilton, he's a homer but no where in the league of Ron Santo or Mike Shannon.

I only get to listen to the Reds on XM at home, and my only wish was more consistency in the booth. Back in the day, you always knew it was Marty and Joe.

Ron Santo pains me in hues of Cubs blue, he's just over the top.

RANDY IN INDY
05-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Loved Santo as a player. As an announcer? Not so much. Same with Shannon. Ken Harrelson is another that gets on my nerves in a hurry.

Chip R
05-01-2009, 04:46 PM
That was funny stuff. I listen to Milo once in a while, but I'll listen to him differently after reading all of that. :)

Loved the Fairfield Iowa post. He did that all the time when he was with the Cubs. :lol: Milo's certainly not the worst out there but he's never really appealed to me.

acredsfan
05-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I was really glad to hear Dan Hoard was getting a shot this weekend. He's been good so far this game, but I really expected that because I have always enjoyed listening to him during Bearcats games. Hopefully we can hear more of him. The thing with Brantley is he seems to be better to listen to when he's not talking about the game, unfortunately this isn't a sports talk show, it's a game broadcast.

On another note, I love that mlb.tv audio broadcasts match up pretty closely to the FSN broadcast on TWC.

Red in Chicago
05-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Loved Santo as a player. As an announcer? Not so much. Same with Shannon. Ken Harrelson is another that gets on my nerves in a hurry.

I loathe Santo as an announcer and despise "Hawk". He has to be the absolute worst announcer EVER. You can put that on the board!!!

Tony Cloninger
05-02-2009, 12:55 AM
Is that who Grande got his annoying way of giving cutesy nicknames......from? It sure sounds like it to me. GG is a nice man.....but his act is even worse than Milo's.

Ron Madden
05-02-2009, 03:49 AM
I was really glad to hear Dan Hoard was getting a shot this weekend. He's been good so far this game, but I really expected that because I have always enjoyed listening to him during Bearcats games. Hopefully we can hear more of him. The thing with Brantley is he seems to be better to listen to when he's not talking about the game, unfortunately this isn't a sports talk show, it's a game broadcast.

On another note, I love that mlb.tv audio broadcasts match up pretty closely to the FSN broadcast on TWC.

I love to hear Dan Hoard and Jim Kelch.

Steve Stewart was better than Brantley, Welsh, Thom or George. (IMHO)

Dan Hoard and Jim Kelch are what Marty used to be... Play By Play guys that paint the picture of the action on the field for the fans listening on radio.

Marty USED to be Good, real Good.

Ron Madden
05-02-2009, 03:58 AM
I loathe Santo as an announcer and despise "Hawk". He has to be the absolute worst announcer EVER. You can put that on the board!!!

Nah, that would be Jeff (intestinal fortitude, mental make up) Brantley.

All ya gotta do to be a winner is to have balls and do everything just right on each and every pitch. It aint hard according to the cowboy.

RANDY IN INDY
05-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Steve Stewart, while probably a nice guy, was about as "vanilla" as any announcer I ever heard. A voice in a box. Never was impressed with Stewart's work. I don't like the idea of two play by play guys in the booth and have always enjoyed listening to someone who has some inside baseball insight that only comes from being a player. Needless to say, it takes a player who has a little bit of talent for speaking. I really liked Merker on the day that I heard him.