PDA

View Full Version : Recent April Records

Eric_the_Red
04-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Over the previous 10 seasons, the Reds have finished April above .500 just 4 times.

08: 12-17
07: 12-13
06: 17-8
05: 10-13
04: 12-10
03: 11-16
02: 16-9
01: 14-10
00: 12-12
99: 9-12

Not that April is any indication of how the rest of the year will play out, however. In those four seasons, the team never finished the year above .500.

What does this prove?
I have too much free time.

Ghosts of 1990
04-30-2009, 10:40 AM
I remember 2002 well. It was a fun beginning thats for sure.

schmidty622
04-30-2009, 10:46 AM
11-10 or a .524 winning%. That projects to 84 or 85 wins over the course of the season. I'd take it but it won't get us into the playoffs.

Kingspoint
04-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Looking for a 17-11 or 18-10 May.

We're healthy.

That's rarely been the case for us in April and May.

cbowen2112
04-30-2009, 06:36 PM
I am going to say a 21-7 May, Cueto and Volquez have been pretty good as of late, and Haranag will throw a few more gems, Arroyo will be average and get wins, and Owings had his first great game last outing. As soon as BP wakes up for good, we will be fine.

ChatterRed
05-01-2009, 03:00 AM
I'm predicting 18-10 in May.

The difference between this year and those good April start years is we have the pitching now. Usually the hitting is hot at the beginning of the season and the pitchers need to warm up. Our hitters, other than Votto, are cold, and our pitching is pretty good already. The bats should heat up and the pitching should continue to be even better.

schmidty622
05-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Sorry to be the downer but I don't see us getting out of May with a winning record. We play a good amount of tough inner division games and we have a dreaded west coast swing that always kills us and affects our play for weeks after. I think a 13-15 or 12-16 month is in order.

I'd love to be wrong though.

ChatterRed
05-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Sorry to be the downer but I don't see us getting out of May with a winning record. We play a good amount of tough inner division games and we have a dreaded west coast swing that always kills us and affects our play for weeks after. I think a 13-15 or 12-16 month is in order.

I'd love to be wrong though.

This team this year seems to be different and doesn't follow the trends of past years. Such as the winning road record so far.

Also, Arizona and San Diego are pitiful. I don't fear that west coast swing as much as in past years.

In fact, other than our in division games, I'm not really concerned about anybody else. I think we go 1-2 against Philly. Probably 1-2 against St. Louis. Maybe 1-2 against Pitt. But I think we might sweep a few of the bad teams in there like Cleveland and San Diego. Also, the Marlins aren't playing very well at home, and we might go in there and sweep also. And the Marlins aren't hitting the ball very well either.

schmidty622
05-01-2009, 10:17 AM
This team this year seems to be different and doesn't follow the trends of past years. Such as the winning road record so far.

Also, Arizona and San Diego are pitiful. I don't fear that west coast swing as much as in past years.

In fact, other than our in division games, I'm not really concerned about anybody else. I think we go 1-2 against Philly. Probably 1-2 against St. Louis. Maybe 1-2 against Pitt. But I think we might sweep a few of the bad teams in there like Cleveland and San Diego. Also, the Marlins aren't playing very well at home, and we might go in there and sweep also. And the Marlins aren't hitting the ball very well either.

San Diego is playing .500 ball albeit in a bad division. I don't know if their "pathetic." As bad as our outfield defense has been I shudder at the possibilities in that gigantic ballpark.

And how many times has this team gone out west to play what we thought were awful teams only to return to Cincinnati with their tail between their legs?

Bill Slawski
05-01-2009, 12:21 PM

I'm hoping that past performance isn't an indication of future success for this team, fingers crossed.

Pitching is now more of a strength than it has been in a long time, and this team may not be as reliant upon short fences and long hit balls as it has been in the past.

Regardless, it's nice to see a winning April record, when looking at the past few years.

$1 Hot Dog
05-04-2009, 01:07 AM
San Diego is playing .500 ball albeit in a bad division. I don't know if their "pathetic." As bad as our outfield defense has been I shudder at the possibilities in that gigantic ballpark.

And how many times has this team gone out west to play what we thought were awful teams only to return to Cincinnati with their tail between their legs?

All of those times when we went to the west coast to play awful teams, we were an awful team. It was the battle of the awfuls. Doesn't mean anything now. I doubt that all of these young guys are going to go to a place like San Diego and feel in any way intimidated. And I know that we split that 4 game series there last year when we couldn't win anything on the road. I could be wrong, but it seems like when we come back from the west coast embarrassed, it's normally in Los Angeles or San Francisco. I will not be as optimistic when we are heading to LA. Our pitchers had good stuff no matter what mound they are standing on. Completely different situation than the past has been.

Zimmers
05-04-2009, 01:44 AM
If the pitching holds up there is no reason for this team not to have a great May. If someone had told that everyone in the lineup except Votto would have hit so poor and still did what we did in April i would have thought they were nuts. Everything with a little perspective seems very good at the moment.